Carnival 20% room compensation for unsatisfactory cabin

rncruising

Making a note to self, if sewer smell prevalent on first day and AC not working request a new cabin or request to be sent home per Carnivals guarantee.

Do they still have that guarantee?

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

When was the last time you heard of someone who died on a cruise ship due to toxic gas? It would be ALL over the news!!

But, a cursory walk through the www indicates that sewer smells are quite prevalent on cruise ship.

I see more and more posts on CC about so done who felt "harmed" during their vacation and feel entitled to some sort of compensation. It is a sad indication of the direction our society is headed. :(

I have never had them on any ship I sailed except when the whole system backed up into my shower in the Royal Suite in RCCL. Yup, I was thrilled about paying that type of coin to have a bathroom full of raw sewage. >:(

• 3 years later...

Replying to a very old thread here in case anyone else ever deals with this.

We had numerous problems on the Glory. They were ignored almost the entire cruise until a lost my temper. (plumbing backing up out of the shower leading to crap covered towels trying to contain the mess with no replacements even after requested, AC not working...Cabin over 90 degrees for 1/2 the cruise which turns out after our cabin was torn apart on 2 occasions and dust and dirt everywhere trying to fix it that.....wait for it.....someone in a cabin near by was cold so they shut off that leg of the AC) Anyway, They refunded us part of that cruise and gave us a 20% off to give them another try.

Well that was nice of them....until you go to use the 20% off. It's not 20% off. So you take the cruise fare and subtract out fees and taxes, I get that part. But oh no, Carnival has other crap that only they know about about that the 20% doesn't apply to. So 20% ends up being like 11.5% off. And they only tell you this AFTER you pay your non-refundable deposit and submit a form. You'd think a company wouldn't want to play games with an "earn your business back" offer. :mad:

However frequently contracts that are so one-sided are overruled in civil court. The cruise line knows this.

OP, I would look at it this way--I would ask for a 40% refund. This equals the 10 hours a day that you were forced to use the cabin for sleeping and showering and subject to unsanitary conditions.

While what you say about one-sided contracts is perfectly correct in US litigation, you must realize that regardless of what court jurisdiction (state, or federal) hears a case involving a foreign flag ship, the only law that can be applied is US maritime law. The so-called "reverse Erie" doctrine requires that maritime law be applied in these cases, even if it contradicts the law of the court's jurisdiction. The cruise lines also know this, and this is why most clauses of their ticket contracts are upheld by US courts, especially the clauses regarding arbitration over court proceedings and choice of venue.

In any event, suing a cruise line because of unsatisfactory conditions is a bad bet. If you lose, you will have wasted time and money; while, if you win (which is not certain, given the wording of the cruise contract) just how big a judgement are you looking at - the fare you paid and your out-of-pocket expenses is likely to be your best case?