Pros/Cons of Cash Sign & Sail

My1Day.com

How exactly does cruise cash work? I bought some today for our upcoming cruise. Do they just apply it to your S & S account or you actually get a card that has your balance on it?

Yes they apply it to your s&s account. I did this on our last cruise. It's kinda strange how they deduct it when you look at it on the tv but once guest services explained it to me it made since. I'm gonna purchase it again Monday when I get my money from a side job. We spend about the same amount on drinks on every cruise we been on and that's what I purchase it's paid for before I leave home. No bills when I return.

That's the way we do it. It works for us might not be for everybody.

I've changed to cash deposits too to avoid the debit card holds at the end. I used a kiosk when we went on Liberty. I was a kiosk challenged person, but the directions were clear and concise. I put my money into the indicated slot, the kiosk read the money correctly, then voila, out came my receipt!

All ships now have the kiosks on board, even Ecstasy had 2. I needed to check my balance but the GS line was long, so decided to try the kiosk. To my amazement, followed the instructions, and got a printout of my account. Meanwhile, the GS line had hardly moved.

Yes they apply it to your s&s account. I did this on our last cruise. It's kinda strange how they deduct it when you look at it on the tv but once guest services explained it to me it made since. I'm gonna purchase it again Monday when I get my money from a side job. We spend about the same amount on drinks on every cruise we been on and that's what I purchase it's paid for before I leave home. No bills when I return.

That's the way we do it. It works for us might not be for everybody.

Actually right before our last cruise I had purchased enough cruise cash to pay for our cheers program and when we got to the cabin the receipts were in the cabin that worked well for us . We will continue to use cash accounts we were one of those couples that learned the hard way about holds put on debit cards . It took almost 2 weeks for all the holds to clear most cleared in a couple day but 1 of them (the biggest one ) took almost 2 weeks :eek:

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

You do not want to use your debit card because of them holding your money. It will cause problems by being overdrawn.

Not if you either tie the account to a savings account to have overdraft protection, or keep enough cash in the checking. Frankly if I were relying on my checking account debit for a cruise, I'd be sure to have an extra $5000 sitting in the account. What will you do if you need to use the medical facility? Or have some sort of emergency at home where you need to leave the ship and fly home on a ticket purchased then and there? If you have travel insurance you'll eventually get so e or all of that money back, but you need to put it out upfront to begin with.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

I like the idea of the cruise cash. This way I'm putting it aside/back and at the same time it's not the physical $ that could be used for something else. Plus it would start the acct out with something before putting the $ on the ship.

If I chose not to pre-pay gratuities, I heard that they automatically deduct it from the s&s acct....is that true?

I like the idea of the cruise cash. This way I'm putting it aside/back and at the same time it's not the physical $ that could be used for something else. Plus it would start the acct out with something before putting the $ on the ship.

If I chose not to pre-pay gratuities, I heard that they automatically deduct it from the s&s acct....is that true?

Yes, it will automatically be charged to your account. We pay ours upfront. For me, its just easier that way.

Can't you view your S&S balance on the TV? The interactive section? As well as menus for the day...etc?

Thanks for the information.

So if I wanted to set up a cash account, I can put on the Immigration Information on the web site that I want to use cash. Then at check in..give the cash..get a recept..check that it is on your account and you are OK.

Do I have the steps right.

Can't you view your S&S balance on the TV? The interactive section? As well as menus for the day...etc?

That is the way it worked on the Conquest.

So if I wanted to set up a cash account, I can put on the Immigration Information on the web site that I want to use cash. Then at check in..give the cash..get a recept..check that it is on your account and you are OK.

Do I have the steps right.

You got it!

It is really that easy. And if you run short they will put a note in your little mailbox outside the room and bar staff will also alert you.

I plan on using cash on my upcoming Pride cruise on the 19th. Do I need to put any money down on my daughters card (8) if I have already prepaid gratuities and am not giving her charging privileges?

Also, does anyone know if you can check your balance on the tv on the Pride?

We always use cash. As soon as we board we go straight to desk and there is never a line. We do always give our daughter a $50 limit on her sail and sign card in case she needs something from the gift shop or wants a non alcohol :) daiquiri!! We always have money left and they cut us a check which we take to the desk and cash before we leave the shop.

We always use cash. As soon as we board we go straight to desk and there is never a line. We do always give our daughter a $50 limit on her sail and sign card in case she needs something from the gift shop or wants a non alcohol :) daiquiri!! We always have money left and they cut us a check which we take to the desk and cash before we leave the shop.

That's a perfect idea! Thanks so much!

I plan on using cash on my upcoming Pride cruise on the 19th. Do I need to put any money down on my daughters card (8) if I have already prepaid gratuities and am not giving her charging privileges?

Also, does anyone know if you can check your balance on the tv on the Pride?

My DD is 5 and this is her 5th cruise. No money down required on DD's card, even if don't pre-pay gratuities. When you create your account, you can link DD's to yours for the gratuities.

About the Kiosks....has anyone ever had problems with them? You feed in 50.00 but it didn't show...can they view you put a 50 into it? Just wondering.

I don't think I would want to add cash on land at check-in. What if they don't add it and here I am sailing away and I don't even know who checked me it.

I know there are a lot of honest ppl in the world but it's the dishonest ones that always seem to find me :rolleyes:

To be as paranoid as you are I am highly surprised that you use a debit card. They are by far the worst thing you can carry in a wallet or purse. They offer slim to zero protection against fraud depending on your bank. A "real" credit card is the safest thing to carry.