Los Angeles as a port of call on B2B

navyboy1970

Has anyone ever done excursions in LA as if it was a port of call on a B2B cruise? NCL, as far as I can tell, does not have promoted excursions.

I am looking for things I can do and get back to ship on time.

There isn't very much near either port in LA . Most of the best places are a fair way from the port . Check on board as many of this type of isn't sold online. Princess has tours for B2B cruises but they stop at LAX before returning to the ship. These tours are only available on board . NCL might have a similar tour.

What do you want to do?

A few things close by-

The Battleship USS Iowa is berthed in San Pedro. Just a bit of a walk down the dock.

The Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach is a short cab ride away. From here you can take the free Passport bus to the Queen Mary.

Edited by SadieN

What do you want to do?

A few things close by-

The Battleship USS Iowa is berthed in San Pedro. Just a bit of a walk down the dock.

The Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach is a short cab ride away. From here you can take the free Passport bus to the Queen Mary.

Thanks to the OP for asking this question and to you for answering it. We will be on a back to back through LA on NCL and I have been wondering the same thing. DH would enjoy the Iowa.

We will be on a back to back through LA on NCL and I have been wondering the same thing.

@HokiePoq - are you on a roll call yet? I started two, one for the 15 day leg, and one for the 5 day leg on the NCL Pearl from Apr 18 to May 8. Are you on my cruise?

I appreciate the info.

It may be more of a venture - but I am now considering doing a VIP tour of Paramount Pictures up on Melrose. But the maritime museum would also be of interest to me, where I was once a Cdn Navy man.

On your own or with the ship?

Getting to Paramount isn't too easy from San Pedro. Even though it's off the 101, it's the 101 going thru downtown. During rush hour it can easily add an hour or more to the drive. Weekends aren't much better.

The USS Iowa took the place of the Lane Victory, a restored WW2 liberty ship. Lane Victory has been moved a few miles south of the cruise docks and is another possible thing to see. But given the choice of one or the other I'd frankly choose the Iowa.

@SadieN - It would be on my own (well with my travel mates anyway) - I am in contact with the studio on logistics.

Renting a car?

Enterprise is about the only game in town at the Crown Plaza.

On a good day with no traffic it will take 45 minutes. LA rarely has good traffic days, especially thru downtown.

Set the radio to 1070am. They give traffic reports on the 5's-- 1:05, 1:15 etc.

Also you'll have to clear CBP in Los Angeles. San Pedro CBP can be worse than the airport at times.

Looking at this more and more for you and I'd be stressed. You arrive at 8 and ship leaves at 5. Meaning you'd probably not clear until 9, be onboard no later than 3:30-4pm. Minimun two hours driving.

Hoping there are no accidents/construction/freeway closures along the way.

Well at least you could fly or drive to San Francisco.

Edited by SadieN

I appreciate the info.

It may be more of a venture - but I am now considering doing a VIP tour of Paramount Pictures up on Melrose. But the maritime museum would also be of interest to me, where I was once a Cdn Navy man.

VIP tour is only offered M-F at 9:30am

http://www.paramountstudios.com/

Other considerations if you are going to stay in SP and see the Lane Victory or Iowa. At the end of Gaffey there is a park with the Korean Friendship Bell. Very Beautiful and affords a fabulous view of the ocean and Pt. Fermin Lighthouse. Near the lighthouse is Walker's a popular hangout which was shown in the movie Chinatown. Near the Doubletree hotel is the Cabrillo Marine Museum. It is not big and flashy like the Aquarium of the Pacific, but it is free and has wonderful docents, touch tanks and specimens. On Terminal Island is a lovely monument to the Japanese fishing village that was once there prior to WWll. It is right before the entrance to the Coast Guard facility.

San Pedro has a ton of things to do. You could make a day out of just driving past houses, etc. where famous movies were filmed. Have a wonderful time.