Boston hotel help

hoopslover

I would be staying at the Rodeway Inn in Revere.

I looked at the traffic on "maps" on my Iphone and for a few morning it was not showing traffic on 1A and I90 in the direction of the pier but in the other direction.

Here in Montreal we have a BAD traffic situation and are known for it :eek: it starts around 5:30am and last until 9:30am on a good day....it's crap

But like you said, a 10 o'clock arrival to the pier is perfect for me. It's the time I usually arrive when I depart of NYC.

thank you all for your imput

Boston traffic is like Montreal traffic, only with fewer potholes... ;)

I had a look, and using the technique I describe here you can actually get a Look No Further rate of $128.28 at the Burlington Marriott. Very nice hotel, just down the road from Burlington Mall and lots of restaurants, right off the highway and would be an easy drive to the port. The rate is also cancellable 1 day before arrival, so you can always change if you want.

That's a good find Twickenham. As you point out a super location near the many restaurants near or in Burlington Mall plus it's a very nice hotel.

After 9:30 am it should be less than a 30 minute drive to the port.

Burlington and Revere are like night and day - a nice suburban area with good highway access versus a congested "fringe" urban area that is hard to access.

So do those that live in Boston think that staying North of Boston is easier/better than staying West of Southwest? I've found 2 hotels that offer park & cruise packages but am not sure of the areas~

HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS BOSTON

69 Boston Street Boston 02127

or

BEST WESTERN Adams Inn

29 Hancock St

Quincy 02171

Yea or Nea on these 2~? I'm looking at these only if we do a B2B on the Dawn in June, it would be cheaper than parking at the pier but if the areas aren't all that great, I don't want to leave my car there for 2 weeks!

Boston traffic is like Montreal traffic, only with fewer potholes... ;)

I had a look, and using the technique I describe here you can actually get a Look No Further rate of $128.28 at the Burlington Marriott. Very nice hotel, just down the road from Burlington Mall and lots of restaurants, right off the highway and would be an easy drive to the port. The rate is also cancellable 1 day before arrival, so you can always change if you want.

Hi,

So you were able to find a rate of 128$ per person / per night, right ?

I guess there is not to many people who are aware of this LNF thing...thank you !

And thank you all for your help....don't go far, I will need more for sure :D

So do those that live in Boston think that staying North of Boston is easier/better than staying West of Southwest? I've found 2 hotels that offer park & cruise packages but am not sure of the areas~

or

BEST WESTERN Adams Inn

29 Hancock St

Quincy 02171

Yea or Nea on these 2~? I'm looking at these only if we do a B2B on the Dawn in June, it would be cheaper than parking at the pier but if the areas aren't all that great, I don't want to leave my car there for 2 weeks!

It depends where you are coming from. Sebas030 is coming from Montreal, so he will be coming down I93 from the north. Many folks who ask this question come from the west on I90.

For long term parking of more than a week, the Adams Inn has works well for folks and there have been no issues with parking. The hotel is OK, but nothing special. They will take you to the Red Line T station if you want to go into Boston from Quincy. None of the Boston park/sleeps are vacation destinations and are not centrally located.

Tell us what your precruise plans in Baton are.

It depends where you are coming from. Sebas030 is coming from Montreal, so he will be coming down I93 from the north. Many folks who ask this question come from the west on I90.

For long term parking of more than a week, the Adams Inn has works well for folks and there have been no issues with parking. The hotel is OK, but nothing special. They will take you to the Red Line T station if you want to go into Boston from Quincy. None of the Boston park/sleeps are vacation destinations and are not centrally located.

Tell us what your precruise plans in Baton are.

I agree with 138East on those two.

The Boston Street hotel is basically between an urban big box mall and a train yard. I wouldn't stay there if it was free.

We are driving in from Arizona, haven't decided yet if we'll get there early and do some sightseeing or do that after the cruise~

123East - thanks for your help.

I ended up getting the Hilton in Back Bay for points and a few $$$.

Your points about the Broad St location being closer to the port are valid but as I haven't stayed in the area and would need a cab from South Station and arriving at a later time vs being in an area I know and can walk from Back Bay station I chose the latter.

As for getting to the port may use the transit system to South station and then the Silver Line to the port the next day.

Also will check on our roll call and see if any others are staying at that hotel or a nearby one and then can share a cab to the port.

Thanks and cheers!

Dennis

Dennis - you have several public transit options.

1) Green Line from the Hynes Auditorium stop to Park St transferring to the Red Line direction Braintree/Mattapan to South Station transferring to the Silver Line SL2 to Black Falcon.

2) Orange Line from the Back Bay stop to Downtown Crossing transferring to the Red Line direction Braintree/Mattapan to South Station transferring to the Silver Line SL2 to Black Falcon.

3) Commuter Rail from the Back Bay Station to South Station changing to the Silver Line Sl2 to Black Falcon.

The amount of stairs are a consideration in your choice. The Green Line is a trolley with steps and tends to be crowded and cramped with luggage. There are steps to get into the station and at the Park St transfer.

If you buy a Charlie ticket, you should be able to ride the commuter rail from Back Bay to South Station, but the schedule is limited. This would be the easiest route with luggage because of the accessibility at Back Bay and South Station.

http://www.mbta.com/uploadedfiles/Documents/Schedules_and_Maps/Commuter_Rail/southstation_backbay.pdf

I have been reading this thread and think you can help. I asked this on Trip Advisor but not too helpful. We are flying to Boston 9/9 for cruise leaving 9/12 so 3 nights and 2 days to sight see. I have booked Hotel 140 and Hotel Buckminster and now must choose. I know they are both budget types, Buckminster has had some rooms updated but no guarentee to get one. It seems Hotel 140 is closer to sight seeing. People said both are walkable to transportation. I am not confident using bidding sites unless well coached. The comments about cab fares from airport and to dock are a bit alarming but we are over 65 and not likely to tote luggage on public transport.

Can you recomend one hotel over the other or do you think I should look elsewhere? Thank you for any help

What are the prices of these hotels?

Have you looked at the John Jeffries House?

What are your sightseeing plans in Boston? Would you use public transit without luggage?

I have reserved ,with taxes, for 646 and 677 for 3 nights so they are close.

We would be happy to use public transport for sight seeing just not from airport or to port with luggage.

I think we would try to see the usual historical attractions, perhaps aquarium,not sure yet

No,have not looked at John Jeffries,

or

BEST WESTERN Adams Inn

29 Hancock St

Quincy 02171

I have stayed at both Of these hotels for 1-2 weeks (last time October for 2 weeks at Best Western)

No problem with my car being left at either hotel

Both give you breakfast

Holiday inn express is next to a shopping plaza

Best western is set alone

Both will take you to pier or air port

12/13/14 on getaway staying at best western due to better pricing

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

If you have to choose between the two hotels, I would look at the Hotel 140 because the location is better. The main complaint about the hotel is the small rooms. This hotel is frequently on Hotwire.

Thank you. I did look up John Jeffries. We have never stayed at a B&B although we have talked about it. The other two state they have guest laundry which I like before we get on ship.

When you say it is on Hotwire, do you mean to book or as a "secret" hotel? I would try to get it for less if possible.

It's a secret hotel. I checked and the one that looks like Hotel 140 is only a little less than your price, so it's not worth it.

Thank you for your help. Maybe later , I will ask for suggestions for things to see in two days. Sad to say, I have found we are not able to cram as much into a short time as we used to.

Dennis - you have several public transit options.

3) Commuter Rail from the Back Bay Station to South Station changing to the Silver Line Sl2 to Black Falcon.

If you buy a Charlie ticket, you should be able to ride the commuter rail from Back Bay to South Station, but the schedule is limited. This would be the easiest route with luggage because of the accessibility at Back Bay and South Station.

http://www.mbta.com/uploadedfiles/Documents/Schedules_and_Maps/Commuter_Rail/southstation_backbay.pdf

Not sure you need a Charlie Ticket to do this -- there's no fare gate to get to the commuter rail tracks, and the Commuter Rail does not accept Charlie Tickets or cards (except for monthlies). There is a sales window near the top of the stairs where you could buy a ticket for this ride from BB to SS.

I wouldn't recommend this, though, as you don't know until the last minute which track the trains to SS will be on. I spent 7+ years commuting from BB and never could figure out how to easily go from there to South Station.