Viewing balcony

Meme9

We're assigned to a VW stateroom on the 11th deck-Observation-on the Nieuw Amsterdam. Are their any special amenities included? We paid for a verandah but understand we will not be able to sit outside as it says "viewing balcony!"

Thank you SO much for the info! If I an sit on the balcony with my coffee in the morning and a glass of wine in the evening i am happy! We are assigned to VQ11008 and when I looked at the deck plan, description, and view I got concerned.

Do you know if the connecting balconies can be opened unto one another? We have 3 rooms side by side and were hoping to be able to visit and party on the balconies like we did on the Eurodam, but we were on the 8th deck.

Thanks again for your quick helpful reply!

• 4 months later...

Meme - what was the "viewing balcony" like? We have just been assigned to VQ11001 and are curious just like you were. The picture link reply that you received does not work! We also use our balcony for coffee in the morning and sunsets in the evening!

Thanks!

Meme - what was the "viewing balcony" like? We have just been assigned to VQ11001 and are curious just like you were. The picture link reply that you received does not work! We also use our balcony for coffee in the morning and sunsets in the evening!

Thanks!

Try the new site Halfacts.com. click on signature class then on either Eurodam or Nieuw Amsterdam.

Edited by lazey1

Try the new site Halfacts.com. click on signature class then on either Eurodam or Nieuw Amsterdam.
The deck 11 balconies on these two ships are very different. On the E'dam the VT are "viewing balconies" with NO room for chairs, while on the N.A. the VQ are 4 feet deep and have room for chairs and a small table, like the VQ on deck 10 of both ships. You should only look at the one ship that interests you, not "either/or". But so far, halfacts.com does not have deck 11 pictures for either ship. ;)

We have just been assigned to VQ11001 and are curious just like you were. The picture link reply that you received does not work!
Joanie closed her site a few weeks after KK posted the link. Look at halfacts 10015 or 10034 for the same size balconies as N.A. VQ11001.

Edited by jtl513

Thanks!

I had one of these balconies and it was fine. I'd be ok with one of these rooms again. Sorry, I don't have any pics.

The French balconies also known as Juliette balconies basically offer a place to stand and observe.

But this thread is about the deck 11 Nieuw A balconies, which are not SRO.

Thank you jtl513 and everyone who responded. You have put our concerns (SRO) to rest. As you can see from responses, it is confusing!! We are sailing shortly, and will try to remember to post a photo on halfacts.com when we return for others in the future who share the same concern.

• 1 month later...

We just returned from 24 days on the Nieuw Amsterdam in cabin 11001 with a "viewing balcony." I had several different opinions on it when I asked - so this is a clarification from someone who stayed there. Yes, it is a small balcony (only 3 feet in depth), but it is NOT SRO. There are two small chairs and a small table on it. For the most part, it is all you need. There is no roof on it however. In May, it was fine - actually many of the days were slightly cool, and the sun felt great. However - July and August sun/heat may present a problem for some. The most annoying problem without a roof is that when the crew washes the uppermost deck, guess where all the water goes ... I liked the 11th floor location, and convenience to the Library/Internet Cafe and Crow's Nest just around the corner (noise is not a problem). Some have mentioned that you could only access this floor by the Forward elevators, but I don't consider that a problem. You have to walk the length of the ship no matter what floor you are on. I will submit a picture to halfacts shortly.

Thank you for your replies. Yes it is exactly as you said--there are indeed the 2 small chairs and a little table. No roof is an annoyance. We also didn't like the configuration of the cabin to the balcony. The bed was right next to the sliding doors that open to the balcony rather then the couch, desk and coffee table. So trying to eat on the balcony was quite inconvenient.

The balconies cannot be opened to the neighboring balconies either which was a big disappointment as we had arranged 4 cabins side by side with friends. We had enjoyed visiting on our extended balconies opened onto one another on the Eurodam. But we made the best of the situation and made full use of the Crows Nest a few steps outside our cabins:-) We actually found the rooms to be a quite good location!

But we didn't think it was worth the price of a balcony since we did not even use it for the reasons mentioned above.