Travel insurance

5onadime

I am sure we are not able to say actual companies. But, could I have some suggestion of what to look for when choosing a plan. We are a family of five, no health issues doing a 10 night british isle cruise. Thank you for any tips or beware ofs.

Insurance companies have been listed on cruise critic- check travel insurance board. But from my experience:

If you don't get pre existing conditions covered, don't bother purchasing a policy.

All the companies will find any excuse not to pay a claim. I have found that Travel Guard Gold plan was the best "bang for your buck." But all the companies will only pay out claims if you can prove that: airlines won't let you rebook, airlines won't pay for lost luggage if their fault, etc. The most important coverage is that if you have to cancel a trip due to illness--- A friend of mine had to cancel a very expensive cruise at the last minute-- emergency mastectomy. Travelguard refunded cruise price in it's entirty. She didn't cover her airline tickets because she figured that she could just rebook for another time. She had to pay $400 change fee and is given a year to use airfare credit. It would only have been an extra $45.00 to have insurance for this. Just MHO---

I don't know that the previous poster gave good advise. I was on a cruise a year ago and my friend had to be airlifted the first night of the cruise because she had a bleeding ulcer (not preexisting in any way)! Luckily we had just left port, so she was airlifted back to the US and the Coast Guard doesn't charge, she didn't have travel insurance. Anywhere else they told her it would probably have cost $60,000 or more just for that.

Everyone needs to look at their own needs and do lots of research themselves. Please be careful about giving this kind of advise!

Wow! That's a bit strong on pre existing conditions. Very few actually have a pre existing condition AS DEFINED IN THE POLICY. The insurance companies, ta's and cruise lines want you to buy insurance right away because if you cancel the trip, even without any penalty or cost, they don't refund their commissions. We wait until final payment because at that point we know if anyone is ill or has a condition we need to be concerned about.

Yes, read the pre existing definition in the policy (it's very easy to understand) but likely it doesn't apply. There are many more important considerations..for example if someone at home has an accident, will your insurance pay if you leave your cruise early ( some only cover if you have an accident or illness ).

I don't know that the previous poster gave good advise. I was on a cruise a year ago and my friend had to be airlifted the first night of the cruise because she had a bleeding ulcer (not preexisting in any way)! Luckily we had just left port, so she was airlifted back to the US and the Coast Guard doesn't charge, she didn't have travel insurance. Anywhere else they told her it would probably have cost $60,000 or more just for that.

Everyone needs to look at their own needs and do lots of research themselves. Please be careful about giving this kind of advise!

I believe that By international (perhaps informal) agreement, the major countries around the world do not charge for medical evacuations from the ship to a local hospital. That's not something the insurance companies want you to know, of course.

The cost is flying from the shore hospital back to the us. Everyone should look at medjet in addition to std travel insurance....

Edited by ghstudio

We purchase our travel insurance thru tripinsurancestore and have always found them to be very helpful. You may want to check out their website or call and talk to one of the reps. They are all very knowledgeable and will help you get the best policy to fit your specific needs. I personally find it better to actually talk to someone so all my questions can be answered. Good luck.