Taxi Procedure and Workaround

sailandcruise

At Crown Bay (and I think at Havensight as well, but I haven't been there in a while) the taxi procedure seems to be to wait until it is full before departing, especially for the taxis that have several rows of bench seating behind an enclosed cab for the driver. We went ashore after the main rush and found a taxi lined up for Magen's Bay. The three of is got in and were comfortable in a single row. Other parties occupied the other rows. We waited for at least ten minutes while the driver searched for additional passengers and refused to leave. And she loudly and rudely told us that we had to move over and sit uncomfortably close together so she could have at least four people in each row, even though there were no other passengers in line then, and even though it would have been uncomfortably tight to add an additional person. After 10-15 minutes of asking her to depart, all the passengers had had enough. :mad: I suggested to all the passengers that we just leave and not ride with this rude and inconsiderate driver. We all just got out and she was left with no passengers at all. We then walked through the parking lot where we found an air conditioned minivan taxi that six of us shared for a much more pleasant ride to Magen's Bay, for the same fare per person! We asked the driver to return and had an equally pleasant ride back later that afternoon. :)

I'm posting this so others are aware that you don't have to take the open-air group taxis that may make multiple stops with passengers packed in like sardines. Just venture into the parking lot and find a car or minivan taxi that will take just your party directly to where you want to go,

Yes you can use the non-port taxis by walking out of the dock area. The safari drivers will want to get a full taxi to make the most $ of course, stands to reason. Usually a quick process but since you went ashore after everyone else you missed out on the taxis that loaded up quickly. Notnsure why this driver was rude if that was the case.

Edited by blue_water

This is typically Caribbean- there is one taxi group that has exclusive rights to pick up at the dock. If you walk away from the dock area, you will find other taxis that would be happy to have your business. You do need to be careful. The gypsy taxi business is big. Driving taxi is a way that locals can make big bucks without too much effort. This is not just in the VI, you just have to figure out how it works in each port.

This is typically Caribbean- there is one taxi group that has exclusive rights to pick up at the dock. If you walk away from the dock area, you will find other taxis that would be happy to have your business. You do need to be careful. The gypsy taxi business is big. Driving taxi is a way that locals can make big bucks without too much effort. This is not just in the VI, you just have to figure out how it works in each port.

We are in our 70s and my husband walks with a cane. Is it safe for us to walk past the dock area. I think I remember that there aren't sidewalks there. We want to get a taxi to take us to the synagogue. I don't think the safari taxis go there.

Yes, it's safe but it may not be comfortable for you. It might be better to arrange transportation in advance so you can get a more comfortable situation.

I'm sorry, I do not quite understand what you mean by comfortable. Also, how do you arrange transportation in advance?

Many of the vehicles used for taxis are open safaris that have steps to get to the seats, and the space between rows of seats is usually narrow. I can't tell you how many people I've seen struggle to get on and they didn't have canes. Even a van might be a problem. I think you need a small sedan because of the cane and also because the synagogue is on a very narrow, hilly street so it's best to be in a small vehicle.

Let me think about this for a few days and see what I can come up with to make it easy for you.