JetBlue cancelling all NYC/Boston Flights as of 5pm

Is this today's news? It's 50 degrees in Boston today, it poured last night and the snow is all melting? There is significant :eek: fog due to the quick warm up and snow creating fog banks; but it can't be because of cold in Boston today:confused:

Ed- I see the news report states they are expecting flash freezing. It must create some kind of aviation hazard I'm not aware of, or maybe they are just trying to save $ on de icing.

Edited by Familygoboston

That's really strange. We're in NJ and the temp has dropped about 20 degrees since this morning. The rain has changed to flurries. It's still in the 30's though.

According to the hourly forecast, the wind chill won't be below zero until after 10pm. The actuall temp will hit single digits early tomorrow morning. At 10am tomorrow the wind chill is going to be -12 in central NJ.

Is the servicing that's scheduled supposed to help fly in extreme temps? I can't see where canceling flights over a 17 hours period where the weather is moderate is better than canceling them for the same period of time during extreme cold.

Edited by NJcruisenewbie

That's really strange. We're in NJ and the temp has dropped about 20 degrees since this morning. The rain has changed to flurries. It's still in the 30's though.

According to the hourly forecast, the wind chill won't be below zero until after 10pm. The actuall temp will hit single digits early tomorrow morning. At 10am tomorrow the wind chill is going to be -12 in central NJ.

Is the servicing that's scheduled supposed to help fly in extreme temps? I can't see where canceling flights over a 17 hours period where the weather is moderate is better than canceling them for the same period of time during extreme cold.

We are up in bergen county. I haven't been outside in a bit. The weather has been so crazy here the past few weeks!

Y'all are getting what we have in TN right now.

Last night before we went to bed, it was 55 degrees. Started raining around midnight. This morning, the temperature was 25 degrees and snowing/icy. It is currently 17 degrees and feels like 2. By tonight/early morning, the temperature will be 0 degrees or -15 wind chill factor. :eek: Flights were also cancelled here, and schools that are suppose to start back tomorrow have been cancelled because of the extreme cold. brrrrrrrrrrrrrabbit!

Stay warm! :)

Edited by Iamthesea

South East Michigan has been hit hard by this current batch of weather. We received 12+ inches of snow (on top of the 8 inches we received over New Years). Temps are hoovering around zero, with wind chill factors about 20 degrees below zero. Tomorrow, our high temp is expected to be -1, with wind chill temps about 40 degrees below zero. Schools are closed today, and I expect them to be closed tomorrow. This is very unusual weather for this area.

the issue is not so much the ice, though thats part of it. A major part of it is that if the temp drops below what is listed on the particular aircrafts performance charts they can't calculate takeoff, landing, rejected takeoff distances and things like that to FAA standards so they have to cancel the flight. Same thing happened mid summer out west in Arizona I believe when the temps got too hot.

the issue is not so much the ice, though thats part of it. A major part of it is that if the temp drops below what is listed on the particular aircrafts performance charts they can't calculate takeoff, landing, rejected takeoff distances and things like that to FAA standards so they have to cancel the flight. Same thing happened mid summer out west in Arizona I believe when the temps got too hot.

I get what you're saying and it makes sense. What I don't understand is Jet Blue says they'll be flying again by 10am tomorrow morning when the temp will still be in the single digits with a negative wind chill. Through the rest of today/tonight the temps aren't going to get outside the realm of normal winter weather in NJ.

I live in NW New Jersey and we had school and work (Essex County) closed on Friday due to the snowstorm (it must have killed my office to have to close...they will open for everything short of executive orders to stay off the roads). It's been weird all weekend, and yesterday, when the weather reports said it would get into the mid 40s, it never got out of the 30s so everything was still icy.

Now it was 57 when I got up to walk the dog at 6 AM, and by the time I got to work, the rain was so awful that I was soaked from mid thigh down and my umbrella was inside out. Now I hear that the temps have dropped about 20 degrees, it's raining and it's only getting colder. By tomorrow morning when I am out walking the dog, it's supposed to be in single digits or less. And all this rain will create a sheet of ice that I'm sure will put me on my back or worse, flat on my face.

We had 3 injuries to co workers this weekend...one slipped after coming in the house after the storm started and broke her wrist (needs surgery), one slipped on a sheet of ice in her driveway after a pipe burst and dislocated her shoulder and the third slipped on ice coming into the office yesterday (can't understand why she was doing that on a Sunday) and broke her ankle and may require surgery.

I live in real fear of falling these days, as the older I get, the more likely I am to really break something. Keep safe everyone!

Edited by njmomof2

Blah! I hate this winter. I have a JetBlue flight, connecting in JFK, not for four weeks, but this crappy weather this year has me a bit worried. Four years ago our flight was cancelled from Buffalo due to a storm in Maryland, where we were landing, so it was a scramble the day before to find another flight to Florida that was not affected by the storm. Thankfully it worked out. I should have learned my lesson then and picked a better flight itinerary. :confused:

I'm in south Jersey, it was 60 degrees & drizzling when I left for work at 5:30am, and when I went out to lunch at 1:00 it was barely 35, and the rain was turning to sleet & snow. My guess is they are concerned about flash-freezing & icing. Tomorrow won't be as bad because it's not supposed to be raining.

This site indicates it is not because of current conditions/expected conditions but to get back on schedule due to the thousands of delays/cancellations due to the bad weather earlier this week. http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/01/06/jetblue-to-halt-all-flights-to-and-from-boston-ny-nj/ The delays etc cause problems with pilot required rest stops and keeping maintenance on the planes. It also gives them a chance to get planes to where they are needed so they can resume their normal schedule at a set point in time. This must be a logistical nightmare.

JetBlue isn't the only one having problems. Southwest went into complete meltdown at Midway the other day, hasn't yet recovered, and is having problems today with fuel freezing and the nozzles used for fueling becoming too brittle due to cold (note AA is reporting a similar problem at O'Hare - over 750 flights cancelled today). United cancelled almost every flight out of O'Hare yesterday. And it goes on. Basically if you have a flight anywhere in the US in the next few days, but especially in the eastern 2/3rds of the country, keep a very close eye to your flights as this is a major problem across all the airlines.

We have a cold front coming through Phoenix as well. Only a high of 70 today. I hope there aren't too many flights that get cancelled because of the weather here. :p

View from my office window:

officewindow.jpg

Edited by lv2bcruzin