Disappointed in NCL's Shore Excursions

jlacy1987

So my husband wants to do the NCL sponsored Tulum ruin tour. Problem is it's 7 hours long with a stop for food (not included in the price of the excursion) and my husband has Celiac disease. The shore excursion hotline has no idea what food is available or if it's safe for him to eat.

The lady on the phone literally said well there should at least be vegetables there for him to make a salad. Just what every Celiac person wants to hear. Have a salad. I had to explain to her that he may not even be able to eat a salad if whoever prepared the salad touched wheat beforehand...... So her recommendation was for us to bring granola bars and protein bars with us.

How can NCL provide a 7 HOUR excursion and not include a meal? More than likely we'll have to skip this excursion all-together because of this, which is a huge bummer.

ncl uses the same information they get from the tour operator. you will need to find the regular tour operator and book with them and not from ncl

I don't think the tour operator would be any more useful. The stop for food is independent of the excursion.

You could have your dh pack a few things from the ship's buffet to bring along for his lunch.

My child has a life threatening allergy. We don't expect anyone to make anything special. We figure it out. Would you really trust any food in Mexico? Non English speaking people (who might not understand the food issue) and sanitary conditions that might be a little dirty? Pack your own food for him from the ship!

You could have your dh pack a few things from the ship's buffet to bring along for his lunch.

My child has a life threatening allergy. We don't expect anyone to make anything special. We figure it out. Would you really trust any food in Mexico? Non English speaking people (who might not understand the food issue) and sanitary conditions that might be a little dirty? Pack your own food for him from the ship!

Which is exactly our predicament. I just thought you couldn't take any unsealed food off the ship.

Exactly ...;) Pack your own ,, be safe..

I I I think its chicken :eek:

If you're thinking of the Tulum tour from Cozumel, DEFINITELY book it with NCL and don't go it on your own--there is a lot of travel (ferry and bus) and too much risk to not make it back on time.

My sons and I were very glad we did this excursion--Tulum is a spectacular site.

The tour operator was very good about acknowledging people's concerns re food safety, and endorsed a specific restaurant at the shopping area on the grounds as meeting sanitary standards. (None of us got sick...so must have been telling the truth, right?)

Nope, just sealed items (and I understand the issue - dd10 has celiac).

Well my husband still wants to do the excursion, so I guess we will be having a HEAVY breakfast and then protein bars for lunch. Hopefully that will tide us over until we have an early dinner.

While I don't know your specific dietary restrictions, I will point out that even though there are prohibitions against taking food off the ship, I have done it it in the past...I've put a few things in my backpack and no one ever checks the backpack when you step off the ship. I suspect I'm not the only one to do this. Just make sure you consume everything or throw it away before you get back on and your backpack goes through the x-ray machine.

Well my husband still wants to do the excursion, so I guess we will be having a HEAVY breakfast and then protein bars for lunch. Hopefully that will tide us over until we have an early dinner.

I'm with SissasmomE - contact the access desk (which you should anyway to set up any dietary restrictions he may have on the cruise). Then explain your predicament and ask what they would suggest.

The ship will know for sure what can and can't be taken off the ship at that port. There have been posts by people who had NCL prepare a bagged lunch for an excursion because of medical reasons. They may even have on the ship something prepackaged that would be safe for your DHs illness.

While I don't know your specific dietary restrictions, I will point out that even though there are prohibitions against taking food off the ship, I have done it it in the past...I've put a few things in my backpack and no one ever checks the backpack when you step off the ship. I suspect I'm not the only one to do this. Just make sure you consume everything or throw it away before you get back on and your backpack goes through the x-ray machine.

We've never been on the western Caribbean side of Mexico (which you have been) or on as many cruises as you. So I won't argue that maybe they never did check backpacks on any of your cruises. But our bags were searched thoroughly in Mexico on our MR cruise. So yes sometimes they do check backpacks when you step off the ship.

We've never been on the western Caribbean side of Mexico (which you have been) or on as many cruises as you. So I won't argue that maybe they never did check backpacks on any of your cruises. But our bags were searched thoroughly in Mexico on our MR cruise. So yes sometimes they do check backpacks when you step off the ship.

Yes, we aren't going to do anything that hasn't been approved by the ship.

I'm confused as to why this is such a problem. It's an excursion that does not provide a meal. You have ample notice that foods which meet your dietary/medical needs are not available, in the area you'll be visiting. You just make alternate acceptable plans. We have someone in our group who also has celiac, and I can't imagine she would even consider consuming anything while on shore unless she was guaranteed content, and how it was prepped. A situation very unlikely to occur on the islands we'll be visiting. I expect she'll have a variety of sealed snack packs, and shelf stable food packs to bring along on our shore excursions. This is no different than dealing with different dining venues at home some may be gluten free compliant and others not so much. This time the op will be in the realm of not so much.

I'm confused as to why this is such a problem. It's an excursion that does not provide a meal. You have ample notice that foods which meet your dietary/medical needs are not available, in the area you'll be visiting. You just make alternate acceptable plans. We have someone in our group who also has celiac, and I can't imagine she would even consider consuming anything while on shore unless she was guaranteed content, and how it was prepped. A situation very unlikely to occur on the islands we'll be visiting. I expect she'll have a variety of sealed snack packs, and shelf stable food packs to bring along on our shore excursions. This is no different than dealing with different dining venues at home some may be gluten free compliant and others not so much. This time the op will be in the realm of not so much.

At home, if there isn't a restaurant that can handle his Celiac disease, we just don't eat out. We eat at home. But this excursion is 7 hours long (8AM-3PM) and they can't provide him with a gluten-free meal for lunch. That is why there is an issue. A few granola bars and protein bars are not going to keep us content for long.

Let the food and beverage officer on the ship know your husband's dietary issue - I am positive that they will make arrangements for something to be prepared for you in the kitchen. I am sure you are doing this anyway for all your meals on the ship. NCL and each ship is very conscience of their guests special needs. If you ask, they will get something for you. I would not go to the guest relations desk with this as the person you get will may try to just get rid of you (sorry guest relations!!!) - I would specifically insist on a food and beverage officer.

And we have also taken food off the ship - not raw fruits or vegetables, but a snack and there was NO PROBLEM.

So my husband wants to do the NCL sponsored Tulum ruin tour. Problem is it's 7 hours long with a stop for food (not included in the price of the excursion) and my husband has Celiac disease. The shore excursion hotline has no idea what food is available or if it's safe for him to eat.

The lady on the phone literally said well there should at least be vegetables there for him to make a salad. Just what every Celiac person wants to hear. Have a salad. I had to explain to her that he may not even be able to eat a salad if whoever prepared the salad touched wheat beforehand...... So her recommendation was for us to bring granola bars and protein bars with us.

How can NCL provide a 7 HOUR excursion and not include a meal? More than likely we'll have to skip this excursion all-together because of this, which is a huge bummer.

Geez even if they did provide the meal it would still be at a local place and you would still be taking a risk. IMHO you are better off that they are not providing the meal. Just eat a huge breakfast beforehand and bring with you what you know he can eat

Geez it is 4 pm here and I have barely eaten a thing today the excursion is only 7 hours I don't think you will starve to death.

We did this tour and it was amazing..... we returned after 6:30 at night and they had held the ship.

The stop at the Ruins where you can not eat is not going to understand your gluten free needs. It was authentic and delicious and we were in a huge rush to grab our food and eat on the bus as we were running late.

Our backpacks were given a once over when we got off the ship.

I am certain ou would be able to bring some pre packaged items he is able to eat.

There is also a stop at a gift shop where you can buy chips, candy etc.

You will be hungry, tired and so happy you did this trip. It is a long day though.

Sounds like a plan. Stay well-hydrated and that will help, too.

Edit: This post is the review of that day on our cruise last year.

Edited by quercus alba