Redesigning/altering a gown: need ideas

shipgeeks

I just acquired a long gown I love except for one thing: it fits from the waist down, but is too small from the waist up. And I broke the zipper working with it. It is strapless and comes up to normal mid-back height, but the top is about 3" apart, tapering down in a V to the waist.

I'm wondering about sewing in some kind of lacing system or buttons (like a corset) that DH could do up, or a lace or other panel to fill in the V, or.....?

The fabric is black netting, gathered over black jersey, so a bit fragile to work with.

I'm counting on you, fabulous fashionistas, for some creative ideas! Thank you in advance.

OP, what are your sewing skills? It can be done. I would look for a fabric that matches the black jersey and cut a v shaped piece big enough to give you the room you need. It should be out of double the fabric. One side could be sewn to the dress and the other side would need snaps or possibly velcro. You would have to make loops to sew on each side and the lacing should be out of the black jersey, or possibly some type of ribbon.

I've also seen gown where the is no under panel, just the loops for lacing which would be an easier alternative.

The end result should look like this.

161171490469_1.jpg

Edited by iheartbda

I do sew and have attempted to make alterations to gowns & dresses ... my advice is to find a dressmaker or alterationist and have them figure out the best option.

If it's like most gowns and the bodice is fully lined, altering can be a frustrating experience. It may be that the best choice is to add a contrasting (or complementary) panel under the arms and then again at the waist.

I'm thinking just add the loops and lace such as in the wedding gown below.

You could always add a panel of the same material or even a fun contrasting color like red. But just the lace will look fine.

wedding-dress-lace-up.jpg.7e0b9ca4df5c15b8449f03035d3a320d.jpg

Edited by Lerin

I'm thinking just add the loops and lace such as in the wedding gown below.

You could always add a panel of the same material or even a fun contrasting color like red. But just the lace will look fine.

I agree with this, but have a few other suggestions. Put black satin under the corset area, and use black satin for the laces. Go to the fabric store and look for something blingy to use around the holes for the laces, if possible. Otherwise, use your sewing machine to make black on black buttonholes. Buttonholes are tricky to get even, and this is an area of the dress where you will be drawing a lot of attention. Either dress it up, or make it invisible with all black.