Vancouver accomodations

Okay, I've finally done it. Booked an Alaskan Cruise out of Seattle to celebrate DH's retirement at the end of May, 2014. Was thinking of possibly flying into Vancouver and spending a few days there and then taking the Amtrak Cascade train to Seattle the day before our scheduled departure for the cruise. My questions are: 1) Which hotels would you suggest we stay at, possibly somewhere near the train station; and 2) What attractions/sites would you recommend us seeing during our 2 days in Vancouver.

There are no hotels near the train station that anyone would recommend - it is more of an old warehouse industrial area - you are only a short distance to the downtown core and our rapid transit system called Skytrain has a station across the street from the train station that will take you to the downtown area - any of the four stops to the end of the line at Waterfront station will have hotels near them.

Perhaps if you gave us a price range and whether you want 3, 4, or 5 * hotels we can give you some suggestions.

Our downtown is quite compact so you are never far from attractions or transit.

Hope this helps some.

Cheers

Dennis

A lot will be dependant on your budget. My hotel of choice is the Pan Pacific and my next stay there will be once we dock on 2 May. The hotel is right on the waterfront and sits atop the cruise terminal. Get the bags and take the elevator up to the lobby. It is however at the top of the price scale and in May rooms are currently going for 300 plus a night. There are cheaper places around that I'm sure others could recommend but they won't be really cheap in Canadas most expensive city in tourist season which will be underway in May. As to places to visit I would recomend a walk around Gastown, the original Vancouver and a trip to Stanley Park. Enjoy the city as it truly is one of Canadas most beautiful

Thanks for your input Urban Trekker and Gunner22aa.

Urban, if you say it is very easy to get to the train station from a downtown hotel, how long would a cab ride be and the approx. cost, if we were to catch the early morning train which leaves at 6:40. Also, could you please recommend a very good hotel, either 3, 4 or 5 star. Nothing below a 3, that's for sure. Gunner, the Pan Pacific sounds great, but at $300.00 a night, that is a bit out of my price range. Any other suggestions would be appreciated as well!! How far is Stanley Park from downtown Vancouver and what is the best way to travel there? We do not plan on renting a car while we are there? Do you think it is a good idea for us to spend a few days in Vancouver before heading to Seattle on the Amtrak Cascade train. The train as well as a few views posted from it looks wonderful. Thought it would add an extension to our flying directly into and out of Seattle. Any input you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

FYI: Home from work today as it is so damn cold and blowy here in Southernmost Ontario. They say we are actually experiencing colder weather than ALASKA!! Go figure.

Just had a quick look on Priceline for 3 stars in downtown Vancouver. Within 3-4 blocks of the waterfront there are several such as the Sandman and alike that can be had for 140-150 in May. Add to this about 25-30 dollars in the various taxes that BC charges.

I also just looked on Hotwire and it had a 5 star hotel with an 85% rating approval for $209.00 a night. It went on to state that the last person that booked this particular hotel got the "Pan Pacific". Now if I could get the hotel at that rate, I would definitely "Book it". Can you confirm that this hotel is - - walking distance to Stanley Park. What other sights might we take in during our stay here?

I also just looked on Hotwire and it had a 5 star hotel with an 85% rating approval for $209.00 a night. It went on to state that the last person that booked this particular hotel got the "Pan Pacific". Now if I could get the hotel at that rate, I would definitely "Book it". Can you confirm that this hotel is - - walking distance to Stanley Park. What other sights might we take in during our stay here?

Depending how much of a walker you are it's about 20 blocks to Lost Lagoon in Stanley Park some of them are long. However, city bus is very reasonable and easy to use check translink schedule and fares. Taxis are expensive and often bogged down in traffic. I would recommend you take the Seabus (leaves from waterfront station which is right at the Pan Pacific) across to North Vancouver and go up to Grouse Mountain for a most fantastic view of the city. The elevated skytrain is a wonderful way to get around Vancouver and surrounding area and one station is right across from the train station. The train to Seattle is very scenic but make sure you allow for delays along the way. Just wondering why you are flying into Vancouver instead of Seattle as airfares are much lower?

Depending how much of a walker you are it's about 20 blocks to Lost Lagoon in Stanley Park some of them are long. However, city bus is very reasonable and easy to use check translink schedule and fares. Taxis are expensive and often bogged down in traffic. I would recommend you take the Seabus (leaves from waterfront station which is right at the Pan Pacific) across to North Vancouver and go up to Grouse Mountain for a most fantastic view of the city. The elevated skytrain is a wonderful way to get around Vancouver and surrounding area and one station is right across from the train station. The train to Seattle is very scenic but make sure you allow for delays along the way. Just wondering why you are flying into Vancouver instead of Seattle as airfares are much lower?

Walking is no problem for us. DH is 55 yrs young and I am 54. He goes to the gym 4 to 5 times a week and it is nothing for us to take our dog out for a 1 hour walk. We are one of those Canadian couples, who have travelled (and cruised) through warm weather places and Scotland, but have never travelled out of Ontario passed Ottawa. Fares right now are not too bad for a 1 way flight (Windsor-Toronto-Vancouver), so I just thought that this would give us some time in Vancouver, although I have booked a cruise out of Seattle. Like I stated above, this trip is in celebration of his retirement, and once he is retired, we plan to see more of our own land!!! I am appreciating all comments and suggestions.

It would be a $10 - $12.00 taxi fare from the train station to any of the downtown hotels.

Taxis are plentiful in downtown Vancouver but can be busy on cruise ship days.

The 5* could be the Pan Pacific or perhaps the Sutton Place which is a few blocks further uptown from the Pan Pacific.

If staying at the Pan Pacific you are at the start of the waterfront walkway that encircles the entire downtown core.

A great way to see the park is to rent a bicycle - it's for the most part a separate pathway from other users and paved and basically level all the way around the Park.

Stanley Park is big - 1000 acres - it's about 10 KM to walk or cycle around it - the bulk of the tourist things - Aquarium, Totem Poles etc are at the eastern end which is closest to the downtown core.

Regardless of where you stay in the downtown core you won't be far from transit, eateries and attractions.

Cheers!

Dennis

Congrats on your DH's pending retirement - I started mine at 59 and are enjoying every minute of it - the years since have gone fast and I have enjoying cruising to many different places over the past 7 years.

Cheers!

Dennis

Its very flat, afterall you are basically skirting the ocean. If you can walk the dog for an hour you can certainly walk to Stanley Park. The park itself is quite large so after exploring it for a bit the 10 bucks for a cab ride home might be a wise investment. I have walked down the sea wll myself and it is very pleasent assuming it isn't raining which Vancouver is famous for in the winter. At the time of year you are visiting it should be great with everything in full bloom.

We were in Vancouver for just one day last summer before our Alaska cruise. We took the hop on hop off trolley. It was fun and interesting and you just hop off wherever you want to explore in more depth, and then hop back on another one. Or you can stay on for the whole time, but we got off a few times to check out Granville Island, Stanley Park...I forget where else. If we had had one more day I would have liked to have gone to Grouse Mountain and the Capilano suspension bridge. We will do those on our next visit. For a first-time visit to Vancouver though, we thought the trolley gave us a pretty good overview. It's a beautiful city.

Do any hotels offer "stay & park"? We're doing Alaska in June, plan to arrive the day before, and then spend a few days in Vancouver after the cruise. Does not have to necessarily be downtown, but probably not out by the airport. Thanks.

We purchased a bus day pass at Canada Place for $9.75 and took the bus to Stanley Park last summer. We had planned to walk back along the water but had done so much walking in the park decided to take the bus back too. I think point to point bus passes are $2.75. They don’t give change. The bus is easy to use.

I highly doubt it is offered. In fact most downtown hotels actually charge you park even when you are a resident of the hotel. Normally about $20/night plus taxes. Parking in downtown Vancouver is very limited and expensive.

Coast Plaza have a Cruise Park and Stay special:

http://www.coasthotels.com/hotels/bc/vancouver/coast-plaza-hotel-and-suites/deals/

Hello Urban Trekker, A question for you to answer please. I just remembered that I have Air Miles I could use to stay at a hotel in Vancouver. Right now the 2 hotels I am looking at are: Delta Vancouver Suites, at 550 West Hastings or the Sheraton at 1088 Burrand Street. Which one of these two would be your preference. The difference in Air Mile points is minimal and maybe I should just use them for our 3 day stay. Oh, by the way, I noticed that you were a 2010 Paralympic Volunteer. Our DS travelled from home to be a "blue jacket volunteer for the 2010 Olympics". Chance of a lifetime for him and great memories also.

That Paralympic Blue Jacket volunteer opportunity was a blast - I was attached to the Slovak delegation providing support services - got to stay in the athlete's village at Whistler for the month.

While I don't speak the language it is my paternal heritage so I got a much better understanding of the country.

I enjoyed the experience so much that I have applied to volunteer for the Canadian Special Olympics which are being held here this summer.

As for the two hotels I don't have a reference - the Delta is down in the financial and educational part of the downtown core and closer to Canada Place . The one minor disadvantage is that there aren't as many top rate restaurants in the area and some of the ma and pa types don't open on Sundays.

The Sheraton is located a little uptown on just about the highest point of land on the downtown peninsula - has more dining opportunites but is across the street from St Paul's hospital so it can be a little noisy.

Some of the other locals will likely be along with their take on the two properties.

Cheers

Dennis

The Pan Pacific is definitely one of my favorite hotels in Vancouver, but its not the best. I would, however, recommend using Hotwire or Priceline to book. You can get an idea of what hotel you will get here: http://hoteldealsrevealed.com/hotelinventory/hotwire/bc/vancouver

I think any of the hotels in the downtown west zone are fine that are 4 stars or better.

Be careful. Vancouver has some very scuzzy areas of town that turn very bad very quickly. You'll know when you made a wrong turn. The Pacific Central train station area is pretty bad. If you're referring to the CP station in the heart of downtown, this is a pretty good location.

Congratulations on the retirement. May is a beautiful time of year, but bring a rain jacket.

If the Pan Pacific is not the best and it often is rated as a 5* what do you consider better.

While Vancouver does have the downtown east side neighbourhood that is a continuing challenge it is also a very safe city - for a city of 600,000 people it had 6 homicides last year - more people killed in car accidents and pedestrians struck and killed than murders.

Cheers!

Dennis