Friends of Bill W?

Vagabondage

It's been two years since our last Celebrity cruise, but we just booked b2bs on the Summit beginning Jan. 18. I know Friends of Bill W meetups are listed on the ship's activities, but don't remember how often. Are they frequent?

Also, I understand from postings on these boards that on other cruise lines fairly often no one else shows up for the meetings, especially when they're poorly scheduled at times that cut into popular port calls -- i.e., finding an actual meeting can be pretty hit or miss. Can anyone tell me, from personal experience or the experience of others you know of, if that's what to expect on Celebrity? I have a loved one who's fairly recently out of IOP treatment from a disheartening relapse, and we're both a little concerned that with all the free liquor packages in the 123 promo, the shipboard atmosphere may be even more boozy (and thus stressfull) than usual. A couple meetings each week would help a lot. Just want to be well-prepared...

Thanks!

Go to the first meeting to establish some connections...the meetings seemed to get smaller and less attended as the week went on ...the next time, we went to the first one and got everyone to participate and it was much better...

My partner is a friend of Bill W. Meetings are scheduled daily. I suggest your friend make every effort to attend the first one as it usually has the best attendance. That way he/she can make it known to others how much they really need to meet and I'm sure at least one or two others will return. Ship-board meetings do tend to be sparse on attendance.

Usually found the meeting the first sea day the most populated

Seen anywhere from 2 people to 15 at any given meeting

Been interesting the wide variety of people you meet, I've enjoyed every one

It was funny I got sober ~16 years ago, and had paid for a cruise that turned out it would coincide with my first month of sobriety. Talked it over with my sponsor and he thought I should still go.

I thank the lucky stars and the people onboard for being there for me:D

My partner is a friend of Bill W. Meetings are scheduled daily. I suggest your friend make every effort to attend the first one as it usually has the best attendance. That way he/she can make it known to others how much they really need to meet and I'm sure at least one or two others will return. Ship-board meetings do tend to be sparse on attendance.

I am not an expert, but on the S Class ships we have been on, they had the "Friends" meetings right down the floor from the Elite Cocktail Hour, every evening. They were well attended……Good location because it forces the "choice"?????? "Friends" help you make the choice………………..

They are usually at 5 pm. I suggest going to the first few at least and making contacts-get names and cabin numbers. Maybe even getting together daily away from the meetings.

I remember on guy named Larry who had not been able to get sober at home. He decided to get sober on board and, with a lot of help from others on board, he made it.

The fact that there is booze on board is immaterial

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

On the S class ships, my experience has been that they do NOT list the friends of bill meeting in the daily programme. It is posted on the bulletin board near Guest relations. As a result the meetings were more sparsely attended, because most people don't know where to look, and people who are new to cruising don't even know meetings are on ships. I doubt I would have found my first meeting on my first cruise if it wasn't in the daily programme.

On the Eclipse, they were held in the conference room next to the sky lounge, every day

They were listed in the newsletter on the first day but then I don't remember it being listed again but there was a meetings sign at guest relations and this was on the board

Celebrity, Royal (and I assume Azamara as well, no personal experience with them) have a bulletin board at reception for things like Friends of Dorothy, Red Hat Society etc. as opposed to publishing the meetings in the dailies left in your stateroom (Celebrity Today). If some have seen a meeting published in the dailies in the last couple of years that was probably a decision made by the CD or someone else on board as policy is to post them on the bulletin board. Friends of Bill W. however should be published in the dailies.

Edited by cruzeluver
correction