What to do

The Anchor Banker

When we booked this cruise several months ago, I remember being disappointed that St. Croix was on the itinerary as I had heard some negative feedback from friends. However, I recall reading on these boards that some were saying this was their favourite stop and they had an amazing time but for some reason I can't recall why. I have read all the posts here back to 2007 but nothing is jumping out at me. What would you recommend to make this an amazing day for us (excluding ATV's and Big Beard's)?

We really liked kayaking at Salt River with Virgin Kayaking -

http://www.virginkayaktours.com

We did this tour 1/14/13, and had a great time. We spent almost 2 hours on the water with Bryan who made the time fly with his narrative. He's a very knowledgeable and interesting guide. The Kayaks are new and you have a choice of paddling or foot power. We saw the ship tour heading back in as we headed out, they were out for a 1/2 hour. Bryan made sure we were comfortable and would periodically ask if we were tired and wanted to go on or back. The only thing I regret was I forgot to bring water with me. Taxi cost to Cane Bay was $18 per person round trip. We got to Cane Bay around 9:45 and met Bryan at 10 and came back to Cane Bay around 1PM. We had time for lunch at the restaurant there called Eat, a bit pricey but good. We had the taxi come back for us at 2:30 and got back to the dock by 3.

Highly recommend this tour.

When we booked this cruise several months ago, I remember being disappointed that St. Croix was on the itinerary as I had heard some negative feedback from friends. However, I recall reading on these boards that some were saying this was their favourite stop and they had an amazing time but for some reason I can't recall why. I have read all the posts here back to 2007 but nothing is jumping out at me. What would you recommend to make this an amazing day for us (excluding ATV's and Big Beard's)?

St. Croix is among the most undeveloped (for tourists) islands in the Caribbean and there are quite a few options for how to spend your day. Here are a few that I would consider:

1/2 day trip to Buck Island (we prefer Captain Heinz out of Green Cay)

Geckos ATV trip and then the rest of the day at Rhythms to relax

Island Tour by taxi (could go all the way to Point Udall) and then lunch and beach at The Buccaneer

Morning at Sandy Point and then some minor shopping in F'sted

Happy to answer your questions as I love the island!

Thank you for the suggestions. Big Beards looks interesting so we are looking into that. I see some strong recommendations for Rainbow Beach on here. Is this a good beach to relax and drink (beer and rum drinks readily available?). How would you compare this beach to other beaches in the Caribbean?

Thank you for the suggestions. Big Beards looks interesting so we are looking into that. I see some strong recommendations for Rainbow Beach on here. Is this a good beach to relax and drink (beer and rum drinks readily available?). How would you compare this beach to other beaches in the Caribbean?

Rainbow Beach is fun-- open air restaurant, jet ski, chair and snorkel equipment rental and a party atmosphere.

Here's a good video link:

If money (for the cab) and time are no object, I'd opt for the Buccaneer's Mermaid Beach. Just beautiful with chaise lounges, nice open air restaurant, etc.

Hi,

I've never been there as part of a cruise, but vacationed there many years ago for a week at Grapetree Bay. We had a car and enjoyed driving around. Both Christiansted and Frederiksted are worth visiting. Point Udall was nice, as was St. George Botanical Garden and Whim Great House. The Buck Island snorkeling trip was nice too, although the guide got a bit impatient for everyone to keep up with him. I'm sure you'll enjoy your time there.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! We were there recently as a stop on Jewel of the Seas. We grabbed a taxi and toured around and had a good time. Whim plantation was closed as it was 3 Kings Day so instead we went to Cruzan Rum for a tour and a few tastings, on to Christiansted for the fort which was interesting - our teens enjoyed it. Went to Rainbow Beach for a short visit but the restaurant was not serving food so we went on back to the port area for some shopping and then boarded about 3. Our day wasn't amazing but it was an enjoyable day. Rainbow beach was nice but really crowded.

Hello! We were there recently as a stop on Jewel of the Seas. We grabbed a taxi and toured around and had a good time. Whim plantation was closed as it was 3 Kings Day so instead we went to Cruzan Rum for a tour and a few tastings, on to Christiansted for the fort which was interesting - our teens enjoyed it. Went to Rainbow Beach for a short visit but the restaurant was not serving food so we went on back to the port area for some shopping and then boarded about 3. Our day wasn't amazing but it was an enjoyable day. Rainbow beach was nice but really crowded.

Geauxgirlgeaux - did the taxi driver wait to for you at each stop? If you don't mind - can you share the price of the taxi? Thanks!

We had the taxi driver for the day. It all runs together as far as prices but I think it was about 20pp for the day. The rates as well as time are all negotiable. We used the St Croix taxi association- they are outside the main gates. There are blue shirt taxi drivers as well - all competing for your dollar. The whole process was a little confusing to me. The Christiansted fort is part of the NPS and was about 30ish minutes one way.

The taxi shuttle to Rainbow Beach was $6 per person. There is a little beach at the cruise port as well.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We had the taxi driver for the day. It all runs together as far as prices but I think it was about 20pp for the day. The rates as well as time are all negotiable. We used the St Croix taxi association- they are outside the main gates. There are blue shirt taxi drivers as well - all competing for your dollar. The whole process was a little confusing to me. The Christiansted fort is part of the NPS and was about 30ish minutes one way.

The taxi shuttle to Rainbow Beach was $6 per person. There is a little beach at the cruise port as well.

geauxgirl: $20 per person for the day? Wow, that sounds very inexpensive. Was there a max number of people and they charged you something like $100 for four hours for up to 5 people?

I have been looking into renting a Sun Bug but can't seem to get the company to reply to my emails. Did you happen to see any of these little 2-person solar powered little cars around the Island?

Thanks for the assistance.

I did not see any sun bugs there, but I wasn't really looking either. The taxi fee was I think maybe $140 for 6 of us and we had him for about 6 hours. We used the St. Croix taxi association- they were waiting outside the gates. Inside the gates are blue shirt taxi guys but I don't know which association they worked for.

Our taxi driver Norman used his own vehicle which was a 1995 era Suburban ( I know because at one time I had one just like it!) it was in very good condition, very clean, a/c worked very well, and he was a safe driver. No complaints- not a stellar day- just a relaxing laid back kind of day.

I did not see any sun bugs there, but I wasn't really looking either. The taxi fee was I think maybe $140 for 6 of us and we had him for about 6 hours. We used the St. Croix taxi association- they were waiting outside the gates. Inside the gates are blue shirt taxi guys but I don't know which association they worked for.

Our taxi driver Norman used his own vehicle which was a 1995 era Suburban ( I know because at one time I had one just like it!) it was in very good condition, very clean, a/c worked very well, and he was a safe driver. No complaints- not a stellar day- just a relaxing laid back kind of day.

Thanks geauxgirlgeaux. That's the figure I was looking for. If we have a few people, no problem. If it's just one or two of us, we may have to give some serious thought about the price.:eek:

We went to Cruzan by way of Whim Plantation, however I think that Cruzan is only 10 to 15 minutes from the Cruise port. Rainbow Beach is about a mile from the cruise port. As you can see it is really easy to do both. You can negotiate a taxi when you get there. Also, there are some published rates online if you want to plan ahead.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app