Once You book a cabin it's your right?

My1Day.com

I know I read about upsell and upgrade fairies....but this will be our first time in a balcony and DH floored me when he picked which one. I was given the option of three cabins to pick from and I picked the best one. It states the cabin number on our documents....so they won't change it on us right? I don't think I would want any upgrade or upsell even if it WAS free. Call me crazy but the more I research the cabin the more I'm in love with it. So just wondered when I was reading about upgrade and up sells. Thanks!!

I know I read about upsell and upgrade fairies....but this will be our first time in a balcony and DH floored me when he picked which one. I was given the option of three cabins to pick from and I picked the best one. It states the cabin number on our documents....so they won't change it on us right? I don't think I would want any upgrade or upsell even if it WAS free. Call me crazy but the more I research the cabin the more I'm in love with it. So just wondered when I was reading about upgrade and up sells. Thanks!!

Correct! The cabin should not change - without your permission.

Congrats on your choice - sounds like it was a good one! ;) :D

Just curious....which ship did you choose?? :confused:

Only time they can change your cabin is if you book a handicapped cabin, and you aren't (per se), or if you book a cabin for three or four and you are two!:)

Doesn't happen often, but I've heard of it happening....:p Rarely...:rolleyes:

Only time they can change your cabin is if you book a handicapped cabin, and you aren't (per se), or if you book a cabin for three or four and you are two!:)

Doesn't happen often, but I've heard of it happening....:p Rarely...:rolleyes:

We had a cabin booked on Glory last year and got moved to a higher level because they decided to make all the balconies on the panorama deck for two, not three. So it can happen....

But the OP would be contacted/notified in either of those cases. They are not going to just "change" the cabin on them. ;)

It would seem only fair that you SHOULD be able to count on having the cabin you booked, provided you are not in one of the situations the others mentioned here, but it can happen. You can be moved if they deem the move to be an upgrade. To avoid this you should have your travel agent put a notation of "no upgrades, no changes" on the booking. We have faced a similar situation in the past, and found we had been "upgraded" from our chosen cabin. We did not want that upgrade as we were near friends. Our TA had to contact the cruise line and fight for our cabin back. We got it, and we now always ask her to put the "no upgrade" notation on our bookings for us.

And it is not true that you will always be notified of an upgrade. For that incidence we only found out accidentally while dealing with another issue, we were not officially notified. And on at least two other occasions (back in the days when we booked inside cabins) we got upgraded to better (OV) cabins than the inside ones we had chosen. On only one of those episodes did we know about it before embarkation when it showed on the docs. For the other, we were surprised at boarding. (Caused some confusion with our luggage going to the other cabin, but that's another story).

Edited by Gayle V

But the OP would be contacted/notified in either of those cases. They are not going to just "change" the cabin on them. ;)

They contacted our TA to tell us we had been upgraded, but did not give us the option to refuse....

No worries... We just rolled with it. That is the only time it has happened in 9 with carnival....

It would seem only fair that you SHOULD be able to count on having the cabin you booked, provided you are not in one of the situations the others mentioned here, but it can happen. You can be moved if they deem the move to be an upgrade. To avoid this you should have your travel agent put a notation of "no upgrades, no changes" on the booking. We have faced a similar situation in the past, and found we had been "upgraded" from our chosen cabin. We did not want that upgrade as we were near friends. Our TA had to contact the cruise line and fight for our cabin back. We got it, and we now always ask her to put the "no upgrade" notation on our bookings for us ever since then.

Good point...we do the same thing as we book aft wraps and that's what we want! ;) :D

I agree, but that wasn't the question presented by the OP!:)

They can, in fact, change your cabin... for the reasons I presented!:p

We booked the Pride in a 9B cabin...so yeah..I don't want to be changed. It is not a modified cabin..so no worries there and there will be 3 sailing and it holds four. So we should be ok. I do have it noted that we didn't want changes...but I figured I would still ask since it stated it on the documents =-)

There have definitely been post on here before of CCL changing peoples cabins and not notifying them.

They only found out when trying to print boarding passes or going into manage my account.

Bill

And it is not true that you will always be notified of an upgrade. For that incidence we only found out accidentally while dealing with another issue, we were not officially notified. And on at least two other occasions (back in the days when we booked inside cabins) we got upgraded to better (OV) cabins than the inside ones we had chosen. On only one of those episodes did we know about it before embarkation when it showed on the docs. For the other, we were surprised at boarding. (Caused some confusion with our luggage going to the other cabin, but that's another story).

Gayle is EXACTLY RIGHT. I've had a similar change without notification when I was moved from an inside to an Oceanview cabin many years ago. Didn't find out until I arrived at the pier and learned of the change. A good and welcomed change, incidentally. :)

I did, however, have to go through the entire embarkation process with someone else's documents (their name crossed out and my name handwritten in) until the Sign'n'Sail card and photo, just before boarding the ship. I should also mention this was back in the days when I booked cruises 3-5 days out, so this may have been a factor also. I also had to go to my original booked cabin to collect my luggage. :)

As a matter of fact, as I recall now, it happened twice. Once on the PRIDE and once on the ELATION.

Edited by glrounds

I guess the questions would be...if I booked a 9B they "should" only do a similar cabin or an upgrade correct? I would get hopping mad if I paid the extra money and didn't get something that was comparable or better. I got a few messages saying that if they did it I might get an actual Suite which would mean priority booking. So I guess what would they bump a 9B up to? Anyone have that specific bump?

Not always true. When we sailed the liberty in 2008 had booked a balcony, about 3 weeks out went to print luggage tags and they had a different cabin number. Called and was told that they had a large group whp want balconies next to each other. Ours was in the middle of the batch, so Carnival had upgraded us to a Suite. The first we know about it was when I went to print the tags.

It would seem only fair that you SHOULD be able to count on having the cabin you booked, provided you are not in one of the situations the others mentioned here, but it can happen. You can be moved if they deem the move to be an upgrade. To avoid this you should have your travel agent put a notation of "no upgrades, no changes" on the booking. We have faced a similar situation in the past, and found we had been "upgraded" from our chosen cabin. We did not want that upgrade as we were near friends. Our TA had to contact the cruise line and fight for our cabin back. We got it, and we now always ask her to put the "no upgrade" notation on our bookings for us.

I agree, I would call and ask that they note your account with " do not upgrade ". I do this on mine just to make sure I don't have a problem. You should not have a problem as long as you are not booked into a handicapped cabin or are booked in a cabin that has a higher occupancy than you have. They can move you in those instances.

If they want it, they can take it. Rooms are not guarateed. Except for two cruises, we have always booked cabin specific rooms, and have been moved once. In fact, I got two sets of tickets. Of course, I only got one set of keys.

For our Conquest cruise, we had six balcony cabins in a row on the Empress Deck. One cabin was for three guys. They called the first couple in our group by alphabet and ask them if it was OK to upgrade us to six cabins on the Panorama Deck because they had changed the cabin that held three to only two. That couple agreed and they changed all of us without contacting any of the other couples. The only way I found out was by looking at our documents online. I called the TA and she had to call Carnival to find out what had happened.

It was a smart move on their part because now we won't book anything other than the Panorama Deck.