FTTF, anyone else have mixed feelings?

carrieluvsgreg

You've struck no nerve with me, other than to be annoying by trying to play some silly game.

There have been plenty of other threads on this topic so your motivation to start yet another one is very questionable, especially because you seem to have no point. If your unhappy and complained to CCL and your not satisfied with their response simply move to another line.

Besides that the people paying for fttfp will in the end have paid more than you when they reach Platinum. Also a rewards program is a voluntary program companies engage in, but in no way are obligated to have. How about being grateful for what you do get for free instead of whining and crying how unfair your free voluntary benefits are, really?

Your minimal cruise fees went to cover the cost of your food, entertainment, itinerary and lodging, not to strictly fund a rewards program, grow up.

Can I get a "like" button for this? Please and thankyouverymuch!

A few times I have seen " I earned it." In response to the platinum perks. You "paid" for it with multiple cruises. The rules had changed and people pay for fttf now too. I don't really think one can say they paid x amount more for that status than someone not at that status. One could be booking the least expensive room on very good sales vs someone booking nothing ever but the best suite who pays no attention to sales. One could pay a lot more for less cruises. This is a perk. Rewards programs change or go away frequently. I sure didn't cry when my great perk program in my financial life lift and boycott that bank. Things change.

I have to fly to KY a lot. I sure don't worry about how the other passenger got first class. I don't care as long as we all get to KY. I find it down right childish that people blessed enough to take regular vacations worry about who might get more but didn't get it in such and such a way. We are all blessed and lucky!

Edited by grumplin

...really? I said I wasn't intending to rile anyone up and your response is that you're irritated with my post? You could've kept scrolling...

Would I pay for FTTF? Perhaps. Like I said, I understand why people buy it. However, now that I'm platinum, I see the frustration of feeling cheated because we invested time and lots of money for the benefit. If you earned a promotion to a new office at work, would you appreciate someone else being able to buy the office beside yours? Or a premier parking spot or any other perk that took time and effort on your part.

I am not platinum but I did buy FTTF for our upcoming cruise and am glad to have the option. I do, however, understand your, and many others, frusration over this program being offered. I hope to be platinum someday but since Carnival changed the program up it has extended the time in which it will take me to achieve platinum. It is a money maker and that is all Carnival is looking at.

The reason the queues were so long at the non VIP line was because all the platinum's were removing Grats and were too embarrassed to do it from the VIP line in case they got recognized;) lol

You know what ... I got a feeling you are right.

(Changed my mind ...). Judging by the facial expression of the poor souls behind the GS counter, I know you are right. HE HE HE!

While I appreciate your thoughts, I have a difficult time understanding this when they gave everyone a year to make their 10 cruises to reach the Platinum level and thus increase their financial burden. Add to that there were probably 50 other ways they could offset these costs that did not involve insulting their best customers.

Are you their best customer? I doubt it.

Their best customer is probably the first time cruiser that buys all the photos, carnival excursions, souvenirs and any other fee based items. Not the person that has been on 15 cruises that has been there done that and doesn't buy extras.

I love it when people say they worked for those benefits. No you worked for a vacation which was provided. Anything extra is a added bonus that they are in no way required to give.

Are you their best customer? I doubt it.

Their best customer is probably the first time cruiser that buys all the photos, carnival excursions, souvenirs and any other fee based items. Not the person that has been on 15 cruises that has been there done that and doesn't buy extras.

I love it when people say they worked for those benefits. No you worked for a vacation which was provided. Anything extra is a added bonus that they are in no way required to give.

I think if you had reached the Platinum level would be singing a different tune. Keep in mind that those who have enough cruises on Carnival to reach the Platinum level were promised certain rewards for their loyalty! We did not work for these benefits we EARNED them by supporting Carnival with our business. As I have noted previously from my point of view, most Platinum customers are not being critical of those who take advantage of FTTF, we are critical of Carnival for even offering it! I think a new argument from those of you who are critical of the Platinum customers is truly in order! I repeat we EARNED these benefits we DID NOT work for them.

Wouldn't the people who have FTTF that practically run people over to get onboard do the same thing if they were platinum? I bought FTTF and have no plans to run people over. I can wait my turn just like everyone else. I also don't tended to have my s&s card out unless I'm actively using it so you probably wouldn't be able to tell if I were platinum or not unless you were right on top of me!

You have to have your card out or they won't let you board. In N.O.we had to show ours 4 times before we got on the ship. And ours is diamond.

• 2 weeks later...
We have done FTTF once, not worth it IMO just to cut lines.

Unless you intend on going to guest service 20 times a day with questions

who needs it?

Do I need to be on the ship first? NO

Do I need to be off the ship first? NO

Do I need luggage right away? NO

What the heck is the big rush?

To each their own! I am not in a "big rush", but I travel solo and have foot pain issues. Being able to drop off my bags early and not stand in line longer makes a difference to me for my comfort and convenience.

I'm sure that those who travel with small children and those who are disabled would also find it helpful if they do not already have platinum/diamond perks.

It's not necessarily about who's first on the ship, for ME anyways.

Stop saying you "earned" it, you paid for and got a vacation. Are you telling me you only cruised all those times just to get onboard before everyone else? Kind of funny if you ask me, if you need to inflate your ego that much, "i'm a plat member and you're only gold or red". maybe they should have special life boats for you too. I plan to buy FTTF on every cruise I'm on, it's a great purchase for me, and if you don't like it go start your "hard work" over again on another line

Wow, seems like I've struck quite a few nerves... It seems several people have chosen to focus on the fact that the perk is "free" to us, we haven't paid for it... Actually, we have paid thousands to earn these benefits. I've run the numbers... It's an average because most of our trips are 7 day, but in an effort to reach platinum we have taken some shorter trips to get there. Considering cruise rate, taxes and port fees only, it has cost us roughly $10,000. That doesn't include gratuities, souvenirs, bar tabs, photos or spa treatments. (Those things didn't help advance our effort.). So, in my eyes, platinum status is something we chose to invest in in order to EARN privileges. I'm simply stating that carnival is cheapening that by selling it. I said early on that I understand people who want to purchase the perks. I was there too. We sailed on the dream last April prior to platinum and looked everyday to add the FTTF to our trip. So, I'm not in anyway upset, angry or frustrated with anyone who purchases FTTF. It's out there, available to purchase, so go for it. I'm saying that the company has cheapened the value of our benefits to me... It's not exclusive if it can be purchased.

I've seen another thread where some cruisers are being offered "platinum for free" if they book by a certain time... I wonder how this makes all of you feel who've jumped on me in this thread? Someone just like you, who hasn't been able to reach the status yet is being offered the option to try it for FREE! You have to pay $50 for this, how did they get chosen? Does it make you at all irritated? Do you feel at all cheated for your $50 purchase? Would you wonder WHY carnival would offer this to so e cruises and not you? Yeah, life's not fair, I get it. I figured that out a long time ago. I don't expect fair. My post was really more to do with carnival not the consumer.

Where did you get the idea that platinum perks are or are suppose to be exclusive?

The way you have been thinking about it would mean no one could pay for laundry or chocolates in the cabin.

I think you need to think of it as we as platinum are getting those things free. So you can now sort of put a value on your platinum perks. You now know they are at least worth $50.

You even admit you squeezed short cruises in so you could qualify for the perks. Do you consider that "fair" to the people that got their 10 cruises by doing 7+ day cruises? How about the people that will now need more than 10 7 day cruises? I think you need to drop that "we paid a lot of money" for what we "earned".

You cruised the required number of cruises to qualify for your platinum status under the old rules and now you get those perks for free. If you are not platinum, you can now get some of those perks for $50. I don't understand the problem some of you platiums have.

Where did you get the idea that platinum perks are or are suppose to be exclusive?

The way you have been thinking about it would mean no one could pay for laundry or chocolates in the cabin.

I think you need to think of it as we as platinum are getting those things free. So you can now sort of put a value on your platinum perks. You now know they are at least worth $50.

You even admit you squeezed short cruises in so you could qualify for the perks. Do you consider that "fair" to the people that got their 10 cruises by doing 7+ day cruises? How about the people that will now need more than 10 7 day cruises? I think you need to drop that "we paid a lot of money" for what we "earned".

You cruised the required number of cruises to qualify for your platinum status under the old rules and now you get those perks for free. If you are not platinum, you can now get some of those perks for $50. I don't understand the problem some of you platiums have.

"Where did You get the idea that platinum perks are to be supposed to be exclusive?"

From carnival- on the list of platinum benefits.

I will say, I'm relatively new here... As I initially stated, I didn't post this thread to start a fire... I now wish I would've just kept my thoughts to myself. I thought cruise critic was a place where I could openly discuss feelings and concerns. I never expected 7 pages of content that would go on for two weeks. So I have learned quite a lot making this post. I actually stopped looking at the posts because I wanted it to just go away. I never have felt so strongly about any of this to argue about it with anyone. It was just a "hmm, wonder why they decided to do this?" thought process and I wanted to see if others were wondering the same. In efforts to explain myself fully I just got in deeper. So, I ignored the post, hoping it would go away.

My purpose in coming to cruise critic is to gain knowledge and spread my knowledge and experience to others who ask. I in no way wish to develop a "whiner" or "troublemaker" image.

So in that, I apologize for starting this thread. I won't be posting on it again. Hopefully everyone on both sides will just move on and get back to informing and gaining information.

Hopefully this lapse in judgment doesn't haunt me forever on the boards. Please just chalk it up to a newbie mistake.

"Where did You get the idea that platinum perks are to be supposed to be exclusive?"

From carnival- on the list of platinum benefits.

I will say, I'm relatively new here... As I initially stated, I didn't post this thread to start a fire... I now wish I would've just kept my thoughts to myself. I thought cruise critic was a place where I could openly discuss feelings and concerns. I never expected 7 pages of content that would go on for two weeks. So I have learned quite a lot making this post. I actually stopped looking at the posts because I wanted it to just go away. I never have felt so strongly about any of this to argue about it with anyone. It was just a "hmm, wonder why they decided to do this?" thought process and I wanted to see if others were wondering the same. In efforts to explain myself fully I just got in deeper. So, I ignored the post, hoping it would go away.

My purpose in coming to cruise critic is to gain knowledge and spread my knowledge and experience to others who ask. I in no way wish to develop a "whiner" or "troublemaker" image.

So in that, I apologize for starting this thread. I won't be posting on it again. Hopefully everyone on both sides will just move on and get back to informing and gaining information.

Hopefully this lapse in judgment doesn't haunt me forever on the boards. Please just chalk it up to a newbie mistake.

So you post something in this message board and you are surprised that it creates a discussion? :confused:

Or are you just upset that not everyone on this board agrees with you?

That certainly was NOT the case on either of our Breeze cruises - which are our only Carnival experiences with FTTF.

FTTF folks were waiting in the VIP lounge with the Platinum and Diamond guests and MANY boarded before us. Some pushing their way past us and a couple who were Diamond whooping it up about how great FTTF was! :eek: :(

So I do understand the OP's frustration with the "game" as it was referred to in a previous post! :cool:

Hmm I just did the Breeze two weeks ago and had FTTF.. I sat in the regular low life area and watched as they paraded "Silver cards" by us all like they we royalty, and they all seem to be in an orderly fashion!" No one was getting pushed or trampled. They all got onto the ship before we even got to start. I would imagine a someone with a "silver card" got them in there.

I totally agree with your logic , especially on the Laundry. Platinum perks were a plus for booking a certain number of cruises (before). I don't understand the thinking that those guests "paid" for those perks. They are just a bonus that is given to you on top of what you purchased. You paid for a certain number of cruises and hopefully enjoyed the cruises that you paid for.

Now just like the laundry other guests can pay for a service offered by Carnival. I don't think any amount of discussion or complaining by the Platinum/Diamonds is going to change that. Carnival found a way to generate income based upon services that they were already providing so it is income with no additional costs for them. It is obviously popular because of the numerous threads from those seeing "sold out" and I don't think it is going away anytime soon. FTTF on my cruise in May is showing "sold out" now.

This is not true!! The gift we get for being Platinum are different and not sold in the shops onboard or on the Bon Voayage section of the website. And Yes, I have looked in both places many times. :)

Oh, and what you said about your laundry being in the same machine as my free laundry? That's true, but mine mine is still free and you had to pay (a lot). Same with the slot tournament, arcade tokens, etc.

I as well dislike FTTF because I feel like it isn't fair that after I've spent thousands of $ sailing with Carnival and being loyal to them, that a 1st time cruiser can pay $49 for (almost) all the same perks. Aand yes, I found on my last cruise on the Breeze, the FTTF people were very pushy, especially at the guest services line where they would try to push me out of the way saying "I paid for this line, the regular line is over there)". :( Simple solution, just hold up my Platinum card and say (ok, think about saying but don't really because it's rude) "So did I, and I paid a lot more than you"!! :D

However, all that being said, I do enjoy being able to go straight to my cabin when I board the ship!! :D Sometimes, you have to look for the positives in life!!!!

Ok I wasn't going to go here but.. Do you know how many times as a paying customer a "silver card" has tried to impose their status to me.. Just as a reminder.. That card means nothing to me.. or the rest of the passengers! It does to Carnival but that is where it stops.. You don't get first in line at the buffet and you don't get to cut in lines getting off the ship at ports (sneaking off the elevator and blending in.. yes I see you). I have been cutoff many times by "silver cards" (yes they were displaying it proudly) in lines that the perks don't even exist for and when I confront them I am told they are Priority! I get you are mad for what ever reason.. take it up with Carnival.. We don't owe you a thing! You have your perks and I respect that, no question about it, but please respect the rest of us, we are just trying to have a vacation.. not a peeing contest!

Ok I wasn't going to go here but.. Do you know how many times as a paying customer a "silver card" has tried to impose their status to me.. Just as a reminder.. That card means nothing to me.. or the rest of the passengers! It does to Carnival but that is where it stops.. You don't get first in line at the buffet and you don't get to cut in lines getting off the ship at ports (sneaking off the elevator and blending in.. yes I see you). I have been cutoff many times by "silver cards" (yes they were displaying it proudly) in lines that the perks don't even exist for and when I confront them I am told they are Priority! I get you are mad for what ever reason.. take it up with Carnival.. We don't owe you a thing! You have your perks and I respect that, no question about it, but please respect the rest of us, we are just trying to have a vacation.. not a peeing contest!

Wow, did someone not take their happy pill this morning?

Hmm I just did the Breeze two weeks ago and had FTTF.. I sat in the regular low life area and watched as they paraded "Silver cards" by us all like they we royalty, and they all seem to be in an orderly fashion!" No one was getting pushed or trampled. They all got onto the ship before we even got to start. I would imagine a someone with a "silver card" got them in there.

I have been on the Breeze twice. First time, FTTF was not being offered on the Breeze. Second time, there were so many platinum and diamonds, they had to move some of us to the lower level to make room for others that needed to check in. They did call platinum and diamond first before FTTF.

Pat

Another point in fact is that the ability to go to your cabin straight away and have your luggage waiting for you is a perk of FTTF...one could argue that it's not fair for platinums to get it for free :cool:....just 'saying. :p

Platinum should have had this perk before it was even part of the FTTF program. They had no choice but to include it in Platinum perks after the botched job they did of revamping the platinum program a year or so earlier that was suppose to be "brilliant" but instead took perks away from the loyalty program.

Pat

The lines are longer at the VIP side of the customer service desk with many (newbie?) FTTF people there

It did not help that Conquest totally screwed up the "VIFP" drink ticket/welcome letter in many of the cabins at least on my floor - all had different/wrong names on them LOL...really silly

VIP lounge was crowded in Miami - I think the FTTF people were upstairs?

I think they are strictly limiting the amount of extra family members that Platinums can bring on - I can't stand the threads where Platinum cruisers want to bring the whole group on - it is just stupid and unfair....if the family wants to let them pay for FTTF

They are also limiting the idea that disabled will get on ahead of others from what I saw....good or bad? I don't know - there are some who really need this but also some who request a wheelchair for an easy ride/ quick boarding