S.S.Meridian - anybody remembers?

JohnPaulla

Thank you OP for bringing her up!

She was my very first ship, way back in 1993. Now, this year, I will set foot on my 30th and 31st cruises on giant ships that were unfathomable in 1993. We've come a long way since then... My memories of that cruise are few (I was very young), but I remember very rough seas between NYC and Bermuda that left most people sick and the dining room almost empty. Not us, of course, an indication that we were meant to become big cruisers! I remember the movie theater with the screen that would swing back and forth during the movie with the rough seas LOL. That made a big impression of me for some reason. And, of course, who could forget the tiniest cabins and cabin bathrooms imaginable! Oh the memories...

R.I.P. Meridian!

Edited by Dave85

I never sailed Merridan- but I agree- oh memories- isn´t it facinating what they do - some shed tears and tears of the past ships how grand , how great, how so much better they were- really were they? I agree also that I have memories of small cabins, bathrooms were one could shower, use the toilet and brush ones teeth at the same time. LOL.

It was our 2nd cruise out of Wilmington, NC in 1994. Great ship. I learned a lot from senior cruisers who sat at our big table in MDR. Don't recall a Lido evening buffet but do remember tuxes were in the majority and dark suits 2nd. No suit, no service was the policy. You option was go back to room and put it on, or they had one there to fit you for the night. Very formal on formal nights.

Ah, Meridian. We sailed in 1997; it was our third cruise.

Beautiful ship, yacht-like.

Our waiter spoke seven languages fluently. Our headwaiter, Zbigniew, was one of the best. Our inside cabin was quite spacious by the standards of our previous two ships, and many since, and was just steps away from some outstanding viewing decks. The food and the service were excellent.

Our first invitation to a Captain's table dinner occurred on that cruise. It was a wonderful evening, with Captain Adamidis, and Hotel Manager Nick Pagiatis.

Now, 31 cruises and 6 Captain's tables later, we still look back on that cruise, and that ship, as one of the very best.

Sailed on the Meridian twice. In 1990 and 1993. New York to Bermuda. We had small children and we chose the Meridian in 1990 because children under 12 sailed free. We are so pleased with the ship and everything that went with it. Food and entertainment. The ship was spotless. We did it again 3 years later. That ship hooked my kids on cruising.

My first cruise on Celebrity was on the Meridian. My first 10 day cruise. Cabin 6104. I purchased the navy blue with the gold embossed name Meridian cruise album available in the gift shop. Inside I still have the cruise passenger coupon with the itinerary, my table reservation card (late seating, table # 100), My luggage tags and my signature card along with all the great pictures.

The cruise we were on sailed half empty. It was like being on your own yacht.

Thanks for starting this thread. It brought pack the memories of a great ship and why Celebrity has always been my favorite cruise line.

Roseanna