Backpacks on helicopter?

Armchairtravelwoman

There are some limitations on helicopters, but I have taken a small backpack on Coastal without a purse. I've never been limited on a float plane and on any bus, - generally what you can carry on. :) Inquire directly from the vender, however.

I had planed on taking cameras, binoculars, and “layers” for my glacier visit via helicopter with me in my back pack. I’m confused? I guess I dress for the glacier before getting on the copter, and put my cameras & binoculars in my pockets, or hold them – is that is?

Neither TEMSCO in Skagway or ERA in Juneau allow backpacks. You can only take with you what you can carry with your or fit in the vests that are provided. With TEMSCO there are rather large pockets so I was able to carry, extra batteries, extra memory card, a hat, glasses and gloves and I had room for more if I had brought anythign else.

Both companies put your bags or whatever else you bring with you in a secure and locked locker while you're on the helicopter. You don't have to worry about your stuff.

With binoculars and cameras I just had them strapped around my neck. And as for dressing for the glacier, just be dressed before you get up in the helicopter.

You'll know the weather before you leave the ship, and can dress accordingly. It was bright and sunny for my trip this year and I wore just a light jacket. The glacier was brighter. I didn't go on an extended walk, just two landings. If you're just going for a landing or two, you will be able to judge by the weather when you dock.

Hi there!

We just got back from Alaska on Sunday night...I wish I didn't have to leave!

Its truly paradise on Earth!

In answer to your helicopter question:

We did a Helicopter /Glacier hike with Northstar out of Juneau.

http://www.glaciertrekking.com/

They supplied us with everything...pants, coat, gloves, boots, crampons, and a large fanny style pack with a water bottle, power bar and kleenex pkg inside. . It was roomy enough to fit my camera and a few other items as well. You could transfer a few thing sfrom your backpack to the fanny pack if you wanted to.

We left our backpacks, etc back at the Northstar building at the heliport. We had a spectacular time..I got to sit in the front seat next the pilot :D

The scenery is unbelievable and so isn't hiking the glaciers..we even drank some glacier water and took some back home with us in our water bottles..

Have a Blast!!

Snowshooz :)

Archived