1/2 Deposits

dolphins76

I have been using the same PVP for a long time. I called him recently because we had booked a month again for our cruise in 2015 and have a few friends that want to join us...but they are holding out until the 1/2 deposit special starts. Well I had asked him did he have any idea if one was happening soon(because in the past he has given me the heads up a few weeks in advance), well he tells me there was just a meeting and they are 99.999% sure they will no longer be offering that promotion any longer because of so many issues this last time in Nov with impulsive bookers who book and never make another payment. It's great for Carnival yes because they get the money, but they have actually had lawsuits from people trying to get their money back because they did not read the terms of he promotion. If this is in fact true that sucks for the rest of us who completely understand and read the terms and fine lines!

How could someone sue? The deposit was refundable until final pmt and if after final pmt, you forfeit the deposit.

That wasn't buried in the terms and conditions, that was explicitly stated.

I was really hoping that promotion would return again soon. We have some friends who want to join us on our next adventure.

Edited by Herbaltees

I would think 1/2 price down payment would make people LESS likely to sue than paying the full deposit. This doesn't make sense to me? They've got 1/2 as much money invested.

I won't sue for $300 but I will for $150?

Edited by fuddrules

I am not following that either. If anything people were confused if they switch their booking to another category then when the sale was not offered that they had to pay then the full deposit. But If someone who did not pay anymore lost their deposit then they were the fools who did not follow up with the due date of their total amount. Which I find a farce because you TA or Carnival will send notices when the final amount is due. But people today are so sue happy that they just like to sue.

My other thing I doubt very much that PVP would know if they are doing that sale. Agents don't get that notice for when it is going on sale for that until it is ready to.

Could it be that people would pay the 1/2 deposit, then upgrade later after the deposit sale is over. This would mean they now have to pay the full deposit, which no one tells them about, causing Carnival to cancel their booking? The buyer would have to pay the new price which may be higher than the price they originally booked?

I see plenty of posts where this has happened or they lost their corner aft because of it and are not happy.

Could it be that people would pay the 1/2 deposit, then upgrade later after the deposit sale is over. This would mean they now have to pay the full deposit, which no one tells them about, causing Carnival to cancel their booking? The buyer would have to pay the new price which may be higher than the price they originally booked?

I see plenty of posts where this has happened or they lost their corner aft because of it and are not happy.

But how can one "sue"? There really isn't a loss or breach of contract. In the example you mentioned, the deposit would be returned to cruiser. What lawyer would take this as a case?

But how can one "sue"? There really isn't a loss or breach of contract. In the example you mentioned, the deposit would be returned to cruiser. What lawyer would take this as a case?

Would not think there would be enough dollars involved for a lawyer to take this on but perhaps suits have been in small claims court.

Suing when you are not smart enough to read the contract you just entered into seems rather an admission of your own stupidity.

Hmmm... I'n not sure I believe this PVP. It's proven that reduced deposits generate more bookings. Even if some folks cancel later on, there would still be those that pulled the trigger because of the half deposit.

Think solo travellers, families with children, folks waiting for that windfall to arrive...

If people book with 1/2 deposit and then never follow through with the booking, why does Carnival care? Seems like they are making a bunch of money. Most people do follow through, so I don't get this PVP. All Carnival has to do is explain to people who change up their original booking that the rest of the deposit becomes due, then there won't be any confusion. Any data entry person can slap a big red disclaimer on the website or provide customer service and PVPs with the language. Easy.

Would not think there would be enough dollars involved for a lawyer to take this on but perhaps suits have been in small claims court.

Suing when you are not smart enough to read the contract you just entered into seems rather an admission of your own stupidity.

And also, in the contract, you agree to sue in FL if you have want to make a claim. Makes the cost of suit much higher than the money you may get in the suit

people are waiting for 1/2 price down payment, seriously ? What gain is that? Sounds like you are cruising alone if that's what's going on. They'll only be paying more in the end.

I don't think there was many sales like that anyway. And if there was, the problem was likely people trying to make changes and argued with Carnival about the deposit changing. People make their own rules in their head and expect Carnival's rules to jive with them.

I seem to recall a number of posts describing the following issue with the 50% deposit:

Customer books under 50% deposit special and puts down 50% deposit. At some point customer puts in for price drop and is not told that full deposit is now required. Carnival cancels reservation due to insufficient deposit after supposedly sending a warning email, which customer claims to not have received. Like I said, I recall reading about this a number of times. Regardless of “fault”, I’m sure this created a lot of confusion and chaos. Perhaps Carnival decided it was not worth the trouble.

I seem to recall a number of posts describing the following issue with the 50% deposit:

Customer books under 50% deposit special and puts down 50% deposit. At some point customer puts in for price drop and is not told that full deposit is now required. Carnival cancels reservation due to insufficient deposit after supposedly sending a warning email, which customer claims to not have received. Like I said, I recall reading about this a number of times. Regardless of “fault”, I’m sure this created a lot of confusion and chaos. Perhaps Carnival decided it was not worth the trouble.

Does anyone know what other lines do in this situation? I know NCL has offers for 1/2 price deposits and I never hear anyone on that board complain about problems! Is it that NCL accepts price drops and you still get to keep your 1/2 price deposit perk?

Other cruise lines, mainly NCL, always run 1/2 price deposit specials and I never hear any problems there.

Why do other lines have success with this and Carnival has issues??

It is not that other cruise lines don't have the problems. Its that for somereason, there are a ton of people on here, who didn't read and/or understand the terms of the sale. Then when the terms they agreed to are inforced by Carnival, they run to their computer and start a thread on CC blaming Carnival. I know a couple who along with 5 other couples had booked NCL with a 1/2 priced depoist special. Not sure what the problem was but they had one. Asked him why they didn't go online a blame NCL. His reponds, "what and let everyone know I was too stupid to read the contract before signing it."

people are waiting for 1/2 price down payment, seriously ? What gain is that? Sounds like you are cruising alone if that's what's going on. They'll only be paying more in the end.

I don't think there was many sales like that anyway. And if there was, the problem was likely people trying to make changes and argued with Carnival about the deposit changing. People make their own rules in their head and expect Carnival's rules to jive with them.

Yes, people wait for that promotion! People who travel with kids would rather put $500.00 rather then $1000.00. Not everyone can shell out that much at once.

Yes, he does know about things before other PVP's he has been with Carnival for 15+ years. He is actually a manager and is nice enough to still handle our travel. The promotion causes a ton of problems for Carnival, people paying $500.00 and then upgrading and having the booking cancelled because full deposit is needed and their is a lack of communication or people just don't understand because they think that they did put down full deposit.

We have booked more than once at the 50% reduction in deposit. When I put in for a price reduction for the "low price guarantee", it immediately triggered an email informing me of the balance due requirement. The first time this happened, I called my PVP to ask what happened. He explained it to me and was able to "fix" my rate back to the previous rate. After that, I knew the system, so when the price dropped again, I was prepared to pay the rest of the deposit and all was good. I don't see how someone could not know about the balance unless they don't pay attention to their email.

The gain is you dont have to part with as much money so soon!

I have cruised many times and always as a couple but I still jumped at the 1/2 deposit. The rest of the deposit is better off with me than carnival given it is my money anyway.

Same reason past cruisers use NCC,s or FCC,s, its not for the small bonus OBC its for the ridiculously low deposit needed so less risk.

People who manage to get 1/2 price deposits book cruises with sail dates further out same as cruisers do with NCC,s and FCC,s:)

I’m with Ruthlessboss. There is no gain. You ultimately have to pay the same amount of money anyway so it doesn’t matter that Carnival holds onto your money. If I couldn’t afford to pay the full deposit(s), I guess that would be a clear sign that I shouldn’t be going and would then find an alternate vacation.

Also, making ½ deposits available seems to also make Early Saver not available. I like ES so I’ll be glad if they get rid of ½ deposits. So, in my mind, having ½ deposits actually costs me more money, not less.

I’m with Ruthlessboss. There is no gain. You ultimately have to pay the same amount of money anyway so it doesn’t matter that Carnival holds onto your money. If I couldn’t afford to pay the full deposit(s), I guess that would be a clear sign that I shouldn’t be going and would then find an alternate vacation.

Also, making ½ deposits available seems to also make Early Saver not available. I like ES so I’ll be glad if they get rid of ½ deposits. So, in my mind, having ½ deposits actually costs me more money, not less.

The last promotion was ES with 1/2 deposit.

Gee this gave me a lol:D

If you can afford all your cruise vacations and have no probs parting with full deposit and think 1/2 price deposit is pointless then why do you book ES? this must also be a clear sign? that perhaps you cant quite see yourself:D:D:D lol

Edited by fishtaco

I have been using the same PVP for a long time. I called him recently because we had booked a month again for our cruise in 2015 and have a few friends that want to join us...but they are holding out until the 1/2 deposit special starts. Well I had asked him did he have any idea if one was happening soon(because in the past he has given me the heads up a few weeks in advance), well he tells me there was just a meeting and they are 99.999% sure they will no longer be offering that promotion any longer because of so many issues this last time in Nov with impulsive bookers who book and never make another payment. It's great for Carnival yes because they get the money, but they have actually had lawsuits from people trying to get their money back because they did not read the terms of he promotion. If this is in fact true that sucks for the rest of us who completely understand and read the terms and fine lines!

Yes it does but the good always have to suffer because of the bad.