First Cruise

MoniqueNC

Are you doing excursions? There is a port of call section here on cruise critic. I've never been to Freeport, but our first time in Nassau, we took an island tour, and the lays time we walked to Junkanoo beach and swam, ate, and drank.

Have fun...get hooked,

Not much in Freeport, we go to Port Lucaya when there. Nassau, different story. Many like Atlantis, I personally enjoyed the historic tour to the 2 forts + queens staircase. You can do this with a local taxi driver. Straw market a bit of a zoo. Enjoy + congrats to your son.

We loved Freeport because it was relaxed and quiet! We took the bus ride to the market on the other side of the island. It was a wonderfully pleasant non-rushed day. We did a bit of shopping, bought piña coladas in coconuts and enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere with the locals. Nassau is very busy, very crowded and can be a bit overwhelming for some. We have been there about a half dozen times and if we visit again, I vow to get out of town to see what else the island has to offer.

Enjoy your first trip!

Freeport we did the $10 round trip van trip to My Lucayan, paid $15 for access to their beach, chairs, pools, pool floats and hot tubs and hammocks. Then went across the street, shopped, had lunch and then back to ship. You will have fun :)

Oh this was our first cruise too! You will love it! I recommend the Junkanoo beach club at Freeport and Atlantis in Nassau. We were just back on this cruise for our 6th this past March and did these 2 spots. Loved both days! Have a great time!!

My suggestions are aimed at the first-time cruiser in general. Our first cruise was a 5-day Canada cruise out of New York, just to see whether we would like cruising. (Okay, my signature kinda tells you what we thought:D)

1. When you board the ship, take a tour of what the ship has to offer. You can do this on your own (there will be card-fold maps available in the lobby), or most ships offer a guided tour around 2:30 in the afternoon.

2. Be on deck for sailaway. There's always an electric feeling, leaving the port behind. (For OP, Charleston is a great port.:))

3. Don't try to do everything - you'll wear yourselves out. I think it took us three cruises on Carnival Victory (our first ship) before we found all of the lounges. And don't think you HAVE to do anything in particular - you don't have do do anything particular at all. My DH is very happy to get a chair, a book, and watch the sea go by. There's something for everyone. You can always catch up on some of the activities you missed on the next cruise.:D

Thank you all so very much for the encouragement and suggestions. There are obviously more options than I had considered. I have not scheduled any excursions, and had only planned to sign up for snorkeling, but now may consider more exploratory time at the ports instead. Thank you all again and I will share my experience when I return.

Well since this is your first cruise my first reaction would be for you to get off this board as quickly as possible:) You may end up hearing more negative than you can take.

But seriously, enjoy your sea days as they are the best. Read your fun times and have a bit of a game plan, it will make your days go much better.

Can't give you any advice on Freeport as we've never been but Nassau can be a great trip. You may read a lot of "don't even bother getting off the ship" reviews of Nassau but pay them no mind. If you've never been Nassau has many interesting and fun things to do. My best advice would be for you and your son to spend the day at Atlantis and the waterpark. It's stupidly expensive but a memory that will last a lifetime. The Atlantis grounds are incredible and you have pretty much full access with the waterpark day bracelet. There are some interesting ways to get a good deal as well. Just search for Comfort Suites Atlantis and you'll have plenty of information.

Good luck and have a GREAT TIME!!!

stupidly expensive but a memory that will last a lifetime. The Atlantis grounds are incredible and you have pretty much full access with the waterpark day bracelet.

Just curious when was the last time you were at Atlantis?

I've never been but a few on this board and last week when we were in Nassau I heard comments about how much it's gone down hill recently?