EPIC First Timer with some Questions

Sparkles87

I am sailing for the first time on Epic in July, its a Western Med out of Barcelona and I will be Solo in a Studio Cabin and I have some questions that i'm hoping someone might be able to answer :)

First things first – I have some questions about Barclona Airport and some general first day arrival questions :)

Does anyone know how long it takes to get through Barcelona Airport? Is it good, bad or ugly?

How long is the check in process for NCL?

As I understand it, on NCL you don’t get into you cabins straight away. What time roughly do we get into our cabins? Does someone show you to your cabin or do you just find it yourself? Also would there be anywhere I can check my hand luggage from the plane so Im not carrying it around for ages?

Does anyone know roughly what time my luggage will arrive in my cabin or is it luck of the draw?

Secondly, some Studio Cabin specific questions :)

Is there some underbed space for my suitcase? If not where can I store my (definitely not small) suitcase? ;)

Can anyone tell me how many electrical sockets there are in the studio rooms? Are they in decent places for my hair dryer etc?

Thirdly, a couple of questions about the UBP :)

When do you purchase UBP – at check in or do I go to reception after I board?

Also can anyone tell me if you get charges UBP for your last day on a 7 night cruise. The reason I ask is that I fly home at 10am and therefore I won’t exactly being using any UBP on the day I go home – will I get charged for it?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Does anyone know how long it takes to get through Barcelona Airport? Is it good, bad or ugly?

At least for us living inside Schengen Area exiting all airports is pretty much as fast as getting the luggage from the belt - and that varies always even within the same airport.

Depends on the crowds. We have queued for over half an hour and on the other hand, walked pretty much straight to the check-in counter in the cruise terminal.

As I understand it, on NCL you don’t get into you cabins straight away. What time roughly do we get into our cabins? Does someone show you to your cabin or do you just find it yourself? Also would there be anywhere I can check my hand luggage from the plane so Im not carrying it around for ages?

Usually around 1pm-2pm, sometimes sooner. You need to find your cabin yourself. Yes, there is usually a lounge that is used for luggage storage on embarkation day - ask the crew. :)

Does anyone know roughly what time my luggage will arrive in my cabin or is it luck of the draw?

Luck of draw. We have had luggage coming to cabin very soon after we have boarded and we have waited for the luggage after dinner.

Is there some underbed space for my suitcase? If not where can I store my (definitely not small) suitcase? ;)

There should be space under the bed. In regular cabins we have sometimes had to raise the bed slightly in order to slide the empty luggage underneath, but that's it.

Can anyone tell me how many electrical sockets there are in the studio rooms? Are they in decent places for my hair dryer etc?

With this I can't help, I suggest searching for reviews of studios, there are plenty very detailed ones.

Neither. If you haven't pre-purchased (there might have been some issues with UK office) then you need to go to any bar to purchase it. Remember that you'll need to pay the VAT for the package.

Also can anyone tell me if you get charges UBP for your last day on a 7 night cruise. The reason I ask is that I fly home at 10am and therefore I won’t exactly being using any UBP on the day I go home – will I get charged for it?

UBP validity ends on the last night onboard, you always need to purchase it for the whole length of the cruise. You are paying for all other days (including embarkation day) except disembarkation day. It's better to think the cruise as how many nights instead of how many days, that makes calculating the UBP a lot easier too. :D

I am sailing for the first time on Epic in July, its a Western Med out of Barcelona and I will be Solo in a Studio Cabin and I have some questions that i'm hoping someone might be able to answer :)

First things first – I have some questions about Barclona Airport and some general first day arrival questions :)

Secondly, some Studio Cabin specific questions :)

Thirdly, a couple of questions about the UBP :)

Thanks in advance for the help!

I've never found Barcelona Airport too bad.

Check in at the cruise port is pretty good, bug obviously with the number of people involved it can take a while. It took us about half an hour last time (from arrival to boarding) but we got their fairly early.

To be honest, I can't remember exactly when cabins are available, but it's fairly early. I believe you can leave your hand luggage somewhere, but we usually drop them off in our room, even if it isn't available yet. Just leave them out of the way.

Luggage arrival time is pretty well luck of the draw.

I haven't stayed in a Studio so can't answer those questions.

You buy the UBP after you get onboard (or before you leave). It's nothing to do with the checkin people.

You don't get charged for the last day. They want you off the ship and the bars are closed anyway.

I did this cruise last spring out of Rome,so can't answer the BCN questions.

I did stay in a studio, and there is PLENTY of space under the bed. To put it in context, I had two suitcases,one full size(about 48" upright) and a carryon and both slid under easily with room for another two. There is also one or two bamboo crates under there that you can use for storage. There are two closets, two small cabinets above the TV,about 4-5 shelves alongside the sink, and a cabinet below the sink. Also,the ottoman/seat by the TV has a lift off lid so you can also use it for storage( I used it for dirty clothes throughout the week.) I am a pack rat,and there was plenty of room for me!

As for electric outlets,theres one by the sink in one of the shelves,I believe, and one somewhere near the furthest closet away from the sink...can't remember if if was inside by the safe or to the side of the closet,but it's there. In any case, I still brought an extension cord( you can get one from a dollar store) and had it tucked alongside the closet and wall so it was out of the way. I used this to charge my kindle, phone and camera. I had my hair products charging by the sink.

Oh wait! I almost forgot,there's a small little cubby hole above the middle of the bed,in the headboard,that's good for glasses,reading material,phones,etc.

Enjoy your cruise! I had such a fantastic time,I am doing a repeat run on the Epic next week. I am hoping to spend more time on the ship this time around,as you will see,you don't get that much on the med cruise....very busy! I did a review(not sure if I can link it or not) and am happy to give you tips if you are looking for private excursions along the way.

Stacey

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the great information. Its been really helpful with all my planning (I'm a bit of a plan-aholic!!):o

Just to clarify on the UBP (My TA says I cannot pre-purchase it from UK - at least not through them anyway). So I purchase it in any bar on the ship and i have to include VAT. So I am guessing that the daily UBP charge will have the standard 15% service charge plus any port VAT on it? Does anyone know what % VAT might be?

Thanks for all the great information. Its been really helpful with all my planning (I'm a bit of a plan-aholic!!):o

Just to clarify on the UBP (My TA says I cannot pre-purchase it from UK - at least not through them anyway). So I purchase it in any bar on the ship and i have to include VAT. So I am guessing that the daily UBP charge will have the standard 15% service charge plus any port VAT on it? Does anyone know what % VAT might be?

It was 10% last year and I don't know of any changes since then.

I know that some people from the UK have pre-purchased the UBP and I believe they booked through a travel agent. I'd give NCL a call to see if they can add it.

I'm seeing some people on the Getaway next week who have previously prepaid the UBP. If I remember then I'll check with them how they do it. I may forget though, as there's lots of other things to be doing.

to be honest NCL dollars to pounds exchange rate is horrible, your better getting some cash converted, and taking it onboard, and adding it to your account as cash on the ship, you will save money that way.

Not necessarily. If you save the 10% VAT and any currency conversion charges then it works out quite a bit cheaper to prepay.

You are probably correct if there wasn't the VAT to take account of.

I like to try and pre-pay for as much as I can before i cruise..... mainly because i hate the thought of ruining my cruise by worrying what i've spent. What i do get on the ship will go on my credit card - i'm really just trying to get a rough calculation of costs including all those extra little charges so that i'm not totally in shock :eek: when i see my final bill :)

As for the UBP i might try giving ncl a call or e-mail just to enquire if my TA can infact pre-book or purchase it for me. If they can pre-purchase my excursions and get me OBC then surely they can do this also. :)

Thanks for all the help, I really do appreciate it.

you still pay the tax by prepaying - at least that's what NCL UK quoted me, hence i'm buying mine onboard. My friend even tried to add it as a gift to my booking but again the tax is payable.

also to add - there wouldn't be port tax anyway, if this is the 10%?? NCL usually add the package to your account on a sea day so there won't be any port tax - at least they do with the soft drink and wine packages, so I can't see this been any different. (unless this depends on where you are on the cruise, but the TA's and Europe haven't charged me port tax on a package)

On Epic's western Med itinerary the VAT is charged all day, every day. That's because the ship never leaves EU tax area so Spanish VAT (Barcelona is the main embarkation port for the cruise) is in effect the whole cruise.

Edited by Demonyte

Yes, I know, I've been on it twice. I'm just trying to understand what the previous poster means.

I wonder whether there is some confusion between the added tip (payable wherever you are and whenever you book), and the VAT, which depends on the itinerary and when you buy.

On Epic's western Med itinerary the VAT is charged all day, every day. That's because the ship never leaves EU tax area so Spanish VAT (Barcelona is the main embarkation port for the cruise) is in effect the whole cruise.

When I did the Epic - Med, leaving from Rome the VAT was complex. The duty free had VAT but the prices were adjusted so that the total would work out to same number had VAT not been charged. I don't remember what happened with the other on board charges.

There should also be two two big storage baskets under the bed for additional clothing etc.

If you are concerned about the number of outlets you may want to bring North american power adapters. As half the outlets are a continental Europe form factor and half are North American.

When I did the Epic - Med, leaving from Rome the VAT was complex. The duty free had VAT but the prices were adjusted so that the total would work out to same number had VAT not been charged. I don't remember what happened with the other on board charges.

There should also be two two big storage baskets under the bed for additional clothing etc.

If you are concerned about the number of outlets you may want to bring North american power adapters. As half the outlets are a continental Europe form factor and half are North American.

i got confused over tax\service. When i did EPIC in the med i wasn't charged VAT on the wine package but not sure if rules have changed since 2011?

Phoned NCL to ask about mine and asked about EU tax, there's 15% VAT added on for cruises to/from Spain even if prepay. Might be different if getting on elsewhere? It also mentions this on NCL'S EU page under gifts& more.

Edited by kirsty_r

OK so I heard back from NCL UK and they said that i can pre-purchase UBP, so the issue is not with them its with my TA.

Now if i'm understanding correctly.... regardless if i pre-purchase UBP or not i will still pay have to pay the VAT?

OK, now i'm getting this!

OK so I heard back from NCL UK and they said that i can pre-purchase UBP, so the issue is not with them its with my TA.

Now if i'm understanding correctly.... regardless if i pre-purchase UBP or not i will still pay have to pay the VAT?

OK, now i'm getting this!

I've just checked with people who have bought the UBP for the Epic in the Med in 2013, and they all say that they didn't pay the VAT if they preordered.

Unless things have changed then it seems that you do save the 10%. This is in line with what others have reported on here.

looking at some of the threads depends who you talk to too at ncl uk.

It seems, from looking at this forum, that this is an issue when asking questions of NCL. People often report receiving conflicting answers.

From my experience, and from talking to others over the last couple of days who have had experience of buying the UBP for the Epic on the Med, the following is what is actually charged, rather than what NCL report.

If you buy the UBP whilst onboard the Epic you pay the 15% service charge and 10% Tax. It doesn't matter when you buy the package, just as you get charged the 10% tax on any drinks purchases for the duration of that cruise.

If you prepay the UBP, you still pay the 15% but you don't pay the 10% tax.

Similarly, we were being charged 20% VAT yesterday on the Breakaway. However, I had prepaid for Cagneys so I wasn't charged the VAT.