Walking to Town?

ValerieJo

Sorry if this has been answered. We've been to St. Thomas twice before and have usually just gone to the beach then wandered around Havensight Mall area before getting back on the ship.

My questions:

The bay that the ship is anchored is sort of shaped like a horseshoe (hope you're following me here). When we get off the ship it roughly by Senor Frogs and the Mall area. If I look across the bay, it appears to be the main part of town/city. What is located there? Can one walk from the ship over to that area? Are there other things there besides the same shops as Havensight?

Any help for this clueless grandma?

Thanks.

It sounds like you were looking at Downtown Charlotte Amalie which is usually referred to as town. It's about a mile and a half walk, but it can get too hot for some people.

There are shops there you won't find at Havensight, and most of them are in an area called Palm Passag. Here you'll find more artsy things than at Havensight.

We started walking towards town, but one of those open safari type cabs came by and offered us an 1/2 off fare. Jumped right on!

We walked around and found a little bar selling Bushwackers and that was our day!

Edited by 2 cruzen

You can walk it, but it's a little bit of a hike. Sidewalks all the way. I would recommend hopping in a safari bus to and from the port to downtown area. DEFINITELY go there. It's so cute with it's little alleyways, artisan shops, restaurants, etc. I always cringe when I hear people went to St. Thomas and didn't get to the downtown area (if they wanted to shop and wander). We love it there. Great places to sit along the waterfront, nice breezes. There's a lot of traffic along the waterfront street, but turn down one of the alleyways and explore. Palm Passage is a great place to start. We like to have the Big KAhuna Rum Shack as our "home-base" where my husband can hang out and people watch, while I shop.

The problem with the term "safari buses" is that the open trucks serve two purposes. First, a safari "bus" will take you from the dock to town. This is actually a taxi and will charge you a taxi fare. Second, the same "buses" serve as public transportation on a fixed route for $1 in town or $2 in the country (outside of town). Those do not come to the dock. There is no way to tell these apart except for where they pick up and drop off. If you get on an open safari vehicle, make sure you ask if it is $2 and if it goes where you want to go.

P.S. to Oh away: I guess running a 10K wouldn't interest you, then?:D The route to town is a popular running route...

The problem with the term "safari buses" is that the open trucks serve two purposes. First, a safari "bus" will take you from the dock to town. This is actually a taxi and will charge you a taxi fare. Second, the same "buses" serve as public transportation on a fixed route for $1 in town or $2 in the country (outside of town). Those do not come to the dock. There is no way to tell these apart except for where they pick up and drop off. If you get on an open safari vehicle, make sure you ask if it is $2 and if it goes where you want to go.

P.S. to Oh away: I guess running a 10K wouldn't interest you, then?:D The route to town is a popular running route...

This is not a joke, I actually want to do some running. Which way should I go from the pier to get to that running route?

Ravenna: If you are at Havensight, turn left from the ship and keep stay on the service road keeping the stores to your right. (Don't go out to the main road, but if you do, just stick to the left and you will still end up on the waterfront). You will go through a gate by Local Color and Beni Iguanas. Stick to the left and go through Yacht Haven Grande. There will be signs that point to town. You will come out on the waterfront sidewalk. Stick with that as long as you want. It is about a mile to town, but you can continue if you would like. Happy running!

So where does the safari bus that goes into town for $1 pick up at? Hopefuly there wil be a stop near the port.

My DH and I have walked to town several times before, but we will have others with us who can't make the walk. We also have an excursion planned for 12:15 pm and the ship docks at 10:00 am, so we have imited time to shop.

Thanks for all the info! :)