Seattle Amtrak to Vancouver

BOATCAT66

My family of 6 (2kids) will be cruising out of Vancouver June 2014 but we are flying into Seattle. We would like to take the train, which hotel is best for taking the train. We are flying in a day before and doing some sightseeing. Should we rent a car or do lite rail? Your suggestions will be appreciated.

My family of 6 (2kids) will be cruising out of Vancouver June 2014 but we are flying into Seattle. We would like to take the train, which hotel is best for taking the train. We are flying in a day before and doing some sightseeing. Should we rent a car or do lite rail? Your suggestions will be appreciated.
Any downtown hotel will be a $10 cab ride or so to the train station; there really aren't any hotels close enough to the station to walk, besides the train leaves at 7:40 AM so that would be a very early trek through the city.

Honestly, with a group of 6 I'd just rent a car at the airport and drive to Vancouver instead of messing with the train. A one-way car rental for a vehicle big enough for your group will probably be $250-$300 but that's probably cheaper than the total for train, taxis, etc. at both ends, when you add everything up. With a car you could save money on the hotel by staying someplace outside the downtown area, and even if you have to pay for parking while you sightsee, $10 or $20 for parking for a day will be less than accumulated bus or monorail fares for your group without the car.

Then on the drive north, you can detour for a more scenic route, use the car to explore Vancouver a little (it's very useful for, e.g. Stanley Park) and in general you'll have far fewer logistics issues.

Any downtown hotel will be a $10 cab ride or so to the train station; there really aren't any hotels close enough to the station to walk, besides the train leaves at 7:40 AM so that would be a very early trek through the city.

Honestly, with a group of 6 I'd just rent a car at the airport and drive to Vancouver instead of messing with the train. A one-way car rental for a vehicle big enough for your group will probably be $250-$300 but that's probably cheaper than the total for train, taxis, etc. at both ends, when you add everything up. With a car you could save money on the hotel by staying someplace outside the downtown area, and even if you have to pay for parking while you sightsee, $10 or $20 for parking for a day will be less than accumulated bus or monorail fares for your group without the car.

Then on the drive north, you can detour for a more scenic route, use the car to explore Vancouver a little (it's very useful for, e.g. Stanley Park) and in general you'll have far fewer logistics issues.

Hmmm...I guess we have different priorities and sources of annoyance. To start with, I just plain love riding the train, so there's one bias. I think the train route to Vancouver is more scenic than I-5. And in June, the wait at the border for cars could be long. On the train, it's usually much less hassle. And BOATCAT66's kids might find riding the train a treat.

Depending on where you go, you might end up spending a good bit more in a day of sightseeing than $10 or $20. And then you would be driving to 2-1/2 hours (not counting time at the border) to Vancouver, at the end of a day driving around an unfamiliar city, hunting parking, herding kids, etc? Personally, I would park them all on the 6:50 pm train and head for the Bistro Car for a glass of wine. But...maybe that's just me!

We are also flying into Seattle a day early in May and want to take the train to Vancouver to catch our cruise. I want to do a few key things while in Seattle but have no idea where to stay. I want to go to Pike Place Market and the Needle. My 6yr old (and me) want to ride the train and relax and look around so a car is not needed. So a hotel central to Pikes and the train station would be best just like I believe the OP is looking for also... Thanks

We are also flying into Seattle a day early in May and want to take the train to Vancouver to catch our cruise. I want to do a few key things while in Seattle but have no idea where to stay. I want to go to Pike Place Market and the Needle. My 6yr old (and me) want to ride the train and relax and look around so a car is not needed. So a hotel central to Pikes and the train station would be best just like I believe the OP is looking for also... Thanks

Like Gardyloo said, any downtown hotel will be reasonably close to both Pike Place Market and the train station. The Mayflower gets a lot of love here--nice place, moderately-priced (at least relative to others here in high season!), an easy walk to the Market, right next to the Monorail (which goes to Seattle Center and the Space Needle). If you decide to take the light rail up from the airport, it's also right next door to that.

We are some of the Mayflower Park fans. Love the location and staff. But be aware that it is a totally non-smoking hotel. We are non-smokers, so that is a plus for us, but someone who smokes would be in for a surprise.

We actually took a cab from the Mayflower to the amtrak station in September. My husband thinks it was $15.00 or less (including the tip).

Like Gardyloo said, any downtown hotel will be reasonably close to both Pike Place Market and the train station. The Mayflower gets a lot of love here--nice place, moderately-priced (at least relative to others here in high season!), an easy walk to the Market, right next to the Monorail (which goes to Seattle Center and the Space Needle). If you decide to take the light rail up from the airport, it's also right next door to that.

Which can also take you back down to Amtrak's King Street Station at the International District station, 3 stops down down from Westlake where the Mayflower Park is.

At least the train is running again. The tracks actually washed out in suburban Vancouver with all the rain we had here causing a small freight derailment over the weekend.

Blame the weather, and the beavers: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/cn-rail-says-beavers-rain-to-blame-for-burnaby-derailment-1.2493781