Booking question for NCL

LadyStone50

We just booked a cabin for July of 2015 on the Jade (already too excited!) and we were wondering if there is a time we should call to see if we are eligible for upgrades/etc as the sailing time gets closer.

We used an online company to book the cruise and I know they are not terribly proactive about their clients' vacation plans. This leads to another question. My second question is, can I call the cruise line directly or do I need to work through the third party agent now?

Edited by LadyStone50

We just booked a cabin for July of 2015 on the Jade (already too excited!) and we were wondering if there is a time we should call to see if we are eligible for upgrades/etc as the sailing time gets closer.

We used an online company to book the cruise and I know they are not terribly proactive about their clients' vacation plans. This leads to another question. My second question is, can I call the cruise line directly or do I need to work through the third party agent now?

Since you booked through a 3rd party, most things need to be done through that 3rd party, including upgrades, price changes, etc.

You can always do fake bookings online and see if there is a price you like for an upgrade, and then call your online TA and ask them to look into getting it for you.

Upgrades seem to be a hit and miss thing where they call you, not the other way around.

As far as upgrades go, it's unlikely you'll see any change in prices until it's much closer to sail date. (keep your eye on the prices) Since you booked through a Travel Agent, online or not, you'll need to go through them to ask about upgrades or perks. It's one of the reasons we always book directly with NCL. While others will argue that the prices are higher, we've been very happy with the results.

Good luck with your upcoming cruise, hope you really enjoy it. :)

FYI - everyone wants upgrades. But, in reality, real upgrades are few and far between. You will see that suites are sold out on most cruises. If they still have a few left, they will try to contact a few people and sell them. The exact timing is not clear, but be sure they would prefer to SELL them at full price.

Yes, lots of people get "fake" upgrades. These are from level of balcony to another level of balcony. Same room, same stuff, just a different location.

Why can't people just book and pay for what they want as per a regular land vacation.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I actually do the same thing on my land vacations. I have a $25 credit on my Southwest account because our airfare went down for a future trip.

I have also been know to cancel and rebook a hotel room when the price goes down before my trip since there is no penalty.

Why don't people who have more money than they know what to do with leave frugal people alone?

I have more money than I know what to do with? Really ?. No I just decide when I book a holiday what I want and pay for it. Is that abnormal? Definitely not in my part of the world or the people I know. It seems to be a modern thing that expect expect expect more than what you originally paid for happily.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Didn't mean to spark a controversy here.

I always check and recheck prices - its a stewardship thing. And, like alwalaska, I too usually have a voucher or two for airfare.

The hotels I book through Wyndham properties have a window where, if you check back during that window, if upgrades are available they will give them to you as a courtesy.

I would not have normally asked the question I did, but I kept seeing posts on this site where people are talking about upgrades they received and thought NCL had a similar window and a similar policy.

Why can't people just book and pay for what they want as per a regular land vacation.
Why don't people who have more money than they know what to do with leave frugal people alone?

It's not one or the other... there's a happy medium there. If prices drop and the agreement or contract allows you to take advantage of a lower price or a better category, that's called being an educated consumer. If your agreement or contract does not allow you to take advantage of a lower price and you jump online and scream "unfair" well, that makes you a baby.

It's not one or the other... there's a happy medium there. If prices drop and the agreement or contract allows you to take advantage of a lower price or a better category, that's called being an educated consumer. If your agreement or contract does not allow you to take advantage of a lower price and you jump online and scream "unfair" well, that makes you a baby.

Well said

I actually do the same thing on my land vacations. I have a $25 credit on my Southwest account because our airfare went down for a future trip.

I have also been know to cancel and rebook a hotel room when the price goes down before my trip since there is no penalty.

That is what I do. In fact, I am not budging. Even for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free