Can help with Ålesund & Norwegian Fjords:-)

I-Cruiser

Hi again Lars

would you know anything about a boat tour to Lovatnet lake and Kjenndalen Glacier in Olden? I've looked but can't find anything. There was a ships tour there shown from last years sailing but nothing is available for Olden yet for this year from our sailing. Locally booked trips seem to be a lot cheaper though so I'd like to find out more about it.

Thanks

Ann

Hi again Lars

would you know anything about a boat tour to Lovatnet lake and Kjenndalen Glacier in Olden? I've looked but can't find anything. There was a ships tour there shown from last years sailing but nothing is available for Olden yet for this year from our sailing. Locally booked trips seem to be a lot cheaper though so I'd like to find out more about it.

Thanks

Ann

Hi Anne - Sorry for the late reply.

There is a boat doing tours on Lovatnet. It runs from May until August.

The tour goes from a place called Sande to Kjenndalsanden. Its a spectacular boat trip filled with spectacular nature and waterfalls.

For queries and booking you can contact the tour company at:

post@kjenndalstova.no

Here is a link to some more info in English:

http://www.kjenndalstova.no/index.asp?file=english

Hi Anne - Sorry for the late reply.

There is a boat doing tours on Lovatnet. It runs from May until August.

The tour goes from a place called Sande to Kjenndalsanden. Its a spectacular boat trip filled with spectacular nature and waterfalls.

For queries and booking you can contact the tour company at:

post@kjenndalstova.no

Here is a link to some more info in English:

http://www.kjenndalstova.no/index.asp?file=english

A round trip fare is NOK 220,- pr person (in 2014).

It would be a good idea to email and ask if they have availability the day you are there as the boat also operates charters in addition to its regular schedule.

It seems (and understandably so) most tour companies in the area prefers to sell their products to cruise ships/bus tours etc as they easily can get over 50% more income from them opposed to selling individual tickets

Here is a link to their 2014 schedule. Seems like the regular ticket service only runs Saturdays (Lørdag) and Sundays (Søndag). You are there a Sunday, right?

http://www.kjenndalstova.no/mskjenndal2_2014.pdf

Again, no info on the website for 2015 yet. They do have a FB site where they post updates to the schedule etc.

Edited by I-Cruiser

Posting a link to the cruise call schedule for Geiranger 2015 and 2016.

http://www.stranda-hamnevesen.no/GeirangerfjordenCPGD2015

The port of Ålesund has not posted its 2015 schedule yet. But, the last ship of the season arrives Ålesund December 23!!....The English Black Watch is making a Northern Lights Christmas cruise.

Edited by I-Cruiser

Posting a link to the cruise call schedule for Geiranger 2015 and 2016.

http://www.stranda-hamnevesen.no/GeirangerfjordenCPGD2015

The Rotterdam will be docking the same time as we do on 13 May! That'll be @4500 pax in Geiranger. Any idea how that big a crowd will impact the HoHo bus, Lars? I tentatively have Geiranger taxi booked for our group to take us to Dalsnibba and Eagles Nest if the roads are passable, but was hesitant about keeping the reservation after another CC member's experience with having to send them a wire transfer for advance payment. Now I'm thinking it may be worth the hassle of pre-payment to this company to avoid crowds and the chance we won't get to see what we want.

What are your suggestions for maximizing our 7am-3pm port time in Geiranger if we do cancel the private tour?

Edited by TMLAalum

The Rotterdam will be docking the same time as we do on 13 May! That'll be @4500 pax in Geiranger. Any idea how that big a crowd will impact the HoHo bus, Lars? I tentatively have Geiranger taxi booked for our group to take us to Dalsnibba and Eagles Nest if the roads are passable, but was hesitant about keeping the reservation after another CC member's experience with having to send them a wire transfer for advance payment. Now I'm thinking it may be worth the hassle of pre-payment to this company to avoid crowds and the chance we won't get to see what we want.

What are your suggestions for maximizing our 7am-3pm port time in Geiranger if we do cancel the private tour?

It will be crowded for sure but if you have prebooked tickets for the hop on/off bus you are secured a seat.

There are not many taxi companies to choose from. Geiranger taxi is the same company as Geiranger tourbus which also operated the hop on/off bus.

booking@geirangerfjord.no could set you up with a limo tour!! But I really have to question how much you get to see from the seat of a limo. In my experience; not much.

Unless you are happy walking around the village, walk the river/waterfall walk you really need to take a tour (private/bus/ship) to experience Geiranger fully.

I am a huge fan of private tours where you have the freedom to choose what you want to see in the time frame you choose.

Have you read others experiences with Geiranger Taxi? I would keep in mind the experience of the CC member but I would not base my day on this.

booking@geirangerfjord.no could set up a tour/van for you.

A round trip fare is NOK 220,- pr person (in 2014).

It would be a good idea to email and ask if they have availability the day you are there as the boat also operates charters in addition to its regular schedule.

It seems (and understandably so) most tour companies in the area prefers to sell their products to cruise ships/bus tours etc as they easily can get over 50% more income from them opposed to selling individual tickets

Here is a link to their 2014 schedule. Seems like the regular ticket service only runs Saturdays (Lørdag) and Sundays (Søndag). You are there a Sunday, right?

http://www.kjenndalstova.no/mskjenndal2_2014.pdf

Again, no info on the website for 2015 yet. They do have a FB site where they post updates to the schedule etc.

Thanks Lars, I have emailed them and they are directing me back to the cruise tours for the day I have asked about. Seems like the boat will be chartered so the only option is looking to be the ship tour.

Ann

Thanks Lars, I have emailed them and they are directing me back to the cruise tours for the day I have asked about. Seems like the boat will be chartered so the only option is looking to be the ship tour.

Ann

Bunmer-but at least you get to do the boatride if you wish.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app.

It will be crowded for sure but if you have prebooked tickets for the hop on/off bus you are secured a seat.

There are not many taxi companies to choose from. Geiranger taxi is the same company as Geiranger tourbus which also operated the hop on/off bus.

booking@geirangerfjord.no could set you up with a limo tour!! But I really have to question how much you get to see from the seat of a limo. In my experience; not much.

Unless you are happy walking around the village, walk the river/waterfall walk you really need to take a tour (private/bus/ship) to experience Geiranger fully.

I am a huge fan of private tours where you have the freedom to choose what you want to see in the time frame you choose.

Have you read others experiences with Geiranger Taxi? I would keep in mind the experience of the CC member but I would not base my day on this.

booking@geirangerfjord.no could set up a tour/van for you.

It seems the HoHo bus in Geiranger is not like those in other cities in that the only hop-off occurs at the top of Dalsnibba or the top of Eagles Bend. Using the bus to see both sights requires 2 separate itineraries.

Lars, if you had to choose between Dalsnibba and Eagles Bend, which would it be and why?

Thanks!

It seems the HoHo bus in Geiranger is not like those in other cities in that the only hop-off occurs at the top of Dalsnibba or the top of Eagles Bend. Using the bus to see both sights requires 2 separate itineraries.

Lars, if you had to choose between Dalsnibba and Eagles Bend, which would it be and why?

Thanks!

That is correct. Its more like a tour with the photostops.

I would choose Dalsnibba because you get to see more of the area surrounding Geiranger. The bus ride is more spectacular. The road is more narrow making for wonderful tales later:) The view from Mt. Dalsnibba is stunning since its so high up (1500 meters). You will also see the change in nature - its green down below and no trees and very rugged at the Mountain. Also, if lucky you get to see snow, tiny glaciers and ice on the lake by the foot of the Mountain.

I cant recall 100% but I think the tour to Mt. Dalsnibba also stops at Flydalsjuvet (gorge).

The Eagle bend is wonderful too. The view spectacular but not as spectacular as from Dalsnibba.

Dalsnibba will make for a more interesting day.

:-)

Hi I Cruiser

Yet another mid June cruiser pestering! My only disappointment with booking this cruise is that we don't go into Geirangerfjord, so I've been looking at options. I've taken note of the thread over the last 2 pages but I've got a variation on the theme. Is it possible or wise to try to visit Geiranger from Olden? I haven't looked into car hire yet and am a little concerned that the nearest rental is at Stryn, so that could scupper me anyway.

Hi I Cruiser

Yet another mid June cruiser pestering! My only disappointment with booking this cruise is that we don't go into Geirangerfjord, so I've been looking at options. I've taken note of the thread over the last 2 pages but I've got a variation on the theme. Is it possible or wise to try to visit Geiranger from Olden? I haven't looked into car hire yet and am a little concerned that the nearest rental is at Stryn, so that could scupper me anyway.

Its seems like the nearest place to rent a car is in Stryn. If you contact the car rental agencies they might deliver to Olden. To drive from Olden to Stryn only takes about 20 minutes.

You can indeed drive from Olden to Geiranger. The straightforward route take 2 hrs 40 minutes via Hellesylt. This route includes ferry from Hellesylt into the stunning Geirangerfjord and last Geiranger.

You can drive back via the mountain and Mt. Dalsnibba. This route will take you over 3 hrs without a stop.

I am not sure how long your stop in Olden is but it might be a push to do this.

Feared that might be the case. We dock at9am and leave at 6pm. Allow time to collect and hand back and that virtually means we'd be tight. Allow time for the unexpected and it's definitely a push... But it does look like a great trip.

Just have to look at the Andalsnes option.

Feared that might be the case. We dock at9am and leave at 6pm. Allow time to collect and hand back and that virtually means we'd be tight. Allow time for the unexpected and it's definitely a push... But it does look like a great trip.

Just have to look at the Andalsnes option.

Åndalsnes is easier.

You drive via Trollstigen (Path of the Trolls). I would say you use 2.5-3 hrs each way from Åndalsnes to/from Geiranger.

Google maps will not give you the direct and easiest route at the moment since the Trollstigen is closed for the winter. It is due to open sometime in May. (all depending on how the winter will be)

I would like to take this opportunity to wish everyone a Happy Christmas.

Tomorrow is the winter solstice and the shortest day of the year. This means that again we slowly but surely are heading towards lighter days.:)

The winter solstice occur tomorrow at 23.00.

aringlesund_zpsef0517ad.jpg