Can help with Ålesund & Norwegian Fjords:-)

I-Cruiser

Helloo! Firstly, apologies, as I have not read this whole thread, so apologise if you have already answered these questions...

We are first time cruisers and are sailing on Britannia to the Fjords in May (so cannot wait!!).

Two places I am especially excited about are Olden and Andalsnes, however, we don't fancy paying P&O prices for the excursions...

In Olden, do you know if there any public transport or local tours put on to get to the Glacier?

And in Andalsnes, are there any local tour companies that could take us up the troll road to the visitor centre at the top?

It seems that everything only seems to open in June, but we are there at the end of May so were worried that a lot of things will actually be closed!

We would appreciate any help you can provide!

Here is a thread about Olden. I answer some of the same question you asked.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2032971

Here is an email address for some more info about a "Clacier shuttle/tour bus":

post@oldencruise.no

Here is a website with some info (at least nice pictures and a video:-))

http://www.oldencruise.no/glacier-sightseeing_1

http://s1375.photobucket.com/user/pmdgancnj/media/Olden%20Norway/DSCF0429_zps89104d84.jpg.html?sort=2&o=4

If you have any other questions please let me know.

Lars

Well done - sounds you have it all covered and detailed.

1: I am not so sure you can actually visit the Juvet hotel.

Its an amazing place to spend a weekend - love it.

http://www.juvet.com/en

2: Trollstigen: The path to the viewpoint is clearly marked. Just follow the hords of people :D...It across the the artificial lake or river by the visitor center.

Lots of steps etc to get to the viewpoint but its will be worth it. Specially for the glass bottom...

3. The road to Trollveggen is clearly signed....The Troll wall is 17,4 KM from Trollveggen and without delay it will take you 17 minutes.

At the bridge - Soggebrua - where rd 63 goes into rd 136 take a right and you are on the way to Trollveggen. Its a 6 km and 6 minute drive from the bridge.

4. On the streach from Åndalsnes to Vestnes there will be more than 2 tunnels. 1 or 2 more are due to open soon.

Also before you get to Tresfjord there is a new bridge over the fjord which will cut down on the driving time about 20 minutes.

Well, DONE. You are DONE:)

PS: Make sure to pick up some chocolates from the chocolate house in Geiranger. They are home made and delicious.

https://www.google.no/maps/dir/Trollstigen,+6300/Trollveggen/@62.4954582,7.650729,13716m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x46140e70c1e7a8af:0xcc14b0e753396f9e!2m2!1d7.6767099!2d62.4578461!1m5!1m1!1s0x46140c3b9657f9cb:0xf7606439db4bc46a!2m2!1d7.7188014!2d62.4886088!3e0

Where is the "like" button on Cruise critic!! Lol

Where is the "like" button on Cruise critic!! Lol

LOL - Thank you.

I just re-red what I wrote and all these Troll names has gotten me confused.:)

"...The Trollwall is 17,4 KM from Trollveggen...." Its should say: "The Trollwall/Trollveggen is 17.4 KM from The Path of the Trolls/Trollstigen..."

But I guess you all got the point:D:D

Good night.

Thank you so much! Will check those out :)

Britannia does indeed look lovely :) Cannot wait!

The public bus departs Olden at 0955 and arrives the Glacier or rather Briksdal Fjellstove(Briksdal lodge) at 1040.

From there you have to walk or take something they call the "Troll bus/car" to the glacier. You can take the Trollcar for 2 KM and walk the last 500 meters.

There is also a bus at 1135 but I would suggest the earlier departure.

http://www.ruteinfo.net/RuteinfoIISStaticTables/Tables/ruter/t/14-751.htm

There is a return bus from Briksdal Fjellstove/lodge at 1330 with arrival Olden at approx 1400.

Here is a link to the company running the Troll cars:

http://www.oldedalen-skysslag.com/Engelsk/index.htm

There are also 1 hour zodiac tours on the glacier lake - They call it a Briksdal Safari.

You may also hire a guide for 1/2 day (up to 5hrs) but the price is approx NOK 3400,-.

In Olden there are also RIB tours, guided hikes on either the Brenndalsglacier or Bødalsglacier, guided hikes in the mountains ranging from 2-3 hrs and also a very pleasant boat tour on the Lovatnet/lake.

Edited by I-Cruiser

I can't find any up to date information on the Briksdal Glacier Safari, Briksdal Adventure, or the RIB rafting. Does anyone have summer 2015 information for these?

Here is som more info:

http://www.nordfjord.no/en/Product/?TLp=401271&RIB-rafting-on-the-Nordfjorden=

http://www.nordfjord.no/en/Product/?TLp=193719

For more info I suggest emailing:

ruben@briksdalsbre.no

We will be on HAL cruise September 7-24 and visiting Copenhagen, Bergen, Lerwick Shetland Islands, Torshavn Faroe Islands, Isafjordur & Reykjavik Iceland, Qaqortoq & Nanortalik Greenland, on to Newfoundland and Novia Scotia, etc. Any chance of seeing the Northern Lights?

This is a terrific thread! Thank you for doing it.

We will be on HAL cruise September 7-24 and visiting Copenhagen, Bergen, Lerwick Shetland Islands, Torshavn Faroe Islands, Isafjordur & Reykjavik Iceland, Qaqortoq & Nanortalik Greenland, on to Newfoundland and Novia Scotia, etc. Any chance of seeing the Northern Lights?

This is a terrific thread! Thank you for doing it.

Thank you for your kind words:)

Well, yes, maybe....:D:D... I guess thats all I can say.

The further north you go the bigger the chance to see the Northern lights. For your itinerary the best bet would be Iceland and Greenland.

The Aurora Boralis can be seen from early September to mid April. The nights has to be clear and cold.

You stand the best chance to see the lights when being in a dark place as possible.

I really hope you get to se the Nothern Lights as they are stunning - truly magical.

Lars:)

Hi :) To start with the weather. Prepare for it, expect it, take it for granted that it will rain. The last few years May and June has been nice and dry with lovely sunshine.

To get from Åndalsnes to Geiranger you will have to drive the entire Path of the Trolls and down the valley to the village of Valldall. 1-1,5 hrs of the drive will be the same as if you choose to do the Path of the Trolls from Ålesund.

How many hours do you have in Ålesund and Åndalsnes??

You could do Path of the Trolls and drive down to Valldall and Geiranger from Åndalsnes.

From Ålesund you could do something different like driving to Hellesylt and further to the tiny village of Oye via the majestic and very impressive Norangsdal.http://www.unionoye.no/

You can drive from Åndalsnes to the Atlantic road but it is a track which includes 2 ferries. The distance one way is 2.5 hrs without any stops. You should allow at least 1-1,5 hrs at the Atlantic road to really enjoy it.

I think it might be a bit to far.

Lars

Lars, I did a google map for our drive to Oye, as for some reason I could not print yours. It gave me a different route back to Alesund. From the hotel it tells me to take 655 to Leknes, and then a ferry to Standal..looks like a 40 minute ride, then take 70 to E 39, the ferry, then E 39 till it meets us with E136 into Alesund.

Is this an alternate route? or did you not choose it due to the ferry schedule or poor quality of the roads?

Lars, I did a google map for our drive to Oye, as for some reason I could not print yours. It gave me a different route back to Alesund. From the hotel it tells me to take 655 to Leknes, and then a ferry to Standal..looks like a 40 minute ride, then take 70 to E 39, the ferry, then E 39 till it meets us with E136 into Alesund.

Is this an alternate route? or did you not choose it due to the ferry schedule or poor quality of the roads?

You can take this route back to Ålesund from Øye. Actually I prefer this route if I do not back track.

Going to Øye follow roads E136, RV60 (Sykkylven, Stranda, Hellesylt) RV655 (Hellesylt to Union Hotel Øye)

Going back follow the route you mentioned.

I am not sure if you can print this but the Blue is the route from Ålesund to Øye.

Clicking on the grey it become blue and it will be your route back to Ålesund.

(PS; If the route via Skodje, Storfjorden come up then that is NOT the route to take as it is a detour.)

Let me know if you have problems and I will help you out.

Here is an article and pictures of the progress of making the new stairs from town (Ålesund) to the Aksla viewpoint.

Its in Norwegian only but the pictures should be fine;)

Looks like the steps are set to open May 15 (this year). The work is on schedule.

http://www.smp.no/nyheter/alesundogomland/article10573432.ece#1

Hi Anita,

The same thing happened to me when I googled the route a few weeks ago. I also checked on the ferry schedule from Leknes to Standal and discovered that this ferry only runs twice a day, early in the morning at 9 and at 3pm. I do not know at what time your ship is supposed to leave Alesund, but for us, the 15:00 departure was too close for comfort. Our ship leaves at 5pm. So, the other route it is for us...

Regards

Petra

Hi Anita,

The same thing happened to me when I googled the route a few weeks ago. I also checked on the ferry schedule from Leknes to Standal and discovered that this ferry only runs twice a day, early in the morning at 9 and at 3pm. I do not know at what time your ship is supposed to leave Alesund, but for us, the 15:00 departure was too close for comfort. Our ship leaves at 5pm. So, the other route it is for us...

Regards

Petra

Thanks for the heads up. Same here, so we will also use the original one that Lars gave us. The time is about the same anyway...would have been a nice 40 minute ferry ride though.

Hi Anita,

Regards

Petra

If the return departure cuts it a bit close you can take this route.

It is approx. 30 minutes longer and goes via the town of Ørsta.

As you can see from the map you follow from Øye the Road 655 - take the ferry from Leksnes to Sæbø - follow the 655 to Ørsta - continue on the E39 to the ferry from Festøy to Solavåg - from there the take the E39 until Spjelakvik (wave to me there:)) and follow E136 to Ålesund.

https://www.google.no/maps/dir/Hotell+Union+%C3%98ye+AS,+%C3%98ye,+6196+Norangsfjorden/S%C3%A6b%C3%B8/%C3%85lesund/@62.3773441,6.2813784,10z/data=!4m20!4m19!1m5!1m1!1s0x461691283bec0f31:0xd83ad051822b53de!2m2!1d6.659717!2d62.193091!1m5!1m1!1s0x4616eb6768153977:0xc119e22685d9378e!2m2!1d6.475031!2d62.2067985!1m5!1m1!1s0x4616da471047fb4b:0xe82562ee3bc08fea!2m2!1d6.149482!2d62.4722284!3e0

Ferry schedule Leksnes to Sæbø:

http://reise2.fjord1.no/Fjord1IISStaticTables/Tables/ruter/t/15-134.htm

translation to the schedule:

Leksneset Ferjekai (Leknes)

Sæbø ferjekai (Sæbø)

Frå (from)

Til (to)

Måndag-Fredag (Monday-Friday)

Laurdag (Saturday)

Søndag (Sunday)

The transfer time is 15 minutes.

Ferry schedule from Festøy to Solevåg:

http://reise2.fjord1.no/Fjord1IISStaticTables/Tables/ruter/t/15-183.htm

Transfer time is 20 minutes. There are 2 ferries operating this stretch. Its noted as "A" and "B" in the schedule.

All schedules run until April 30. There will be new schedules out then but the times are not expected to change much.

I have been in other links and found out stores are closed on Sundays in Norway. Does this include all ports?

How does this affect on/off bus schedule in Alesund on 6/14 and tours in Honningsvag on 6/21?

Has anyone used the Eide Auto bus that does the Atlantic road from Molde?

Also, does the NCL Star dock in the center of Molde near the visitor's center?

Thanks for any information!

I have been in other links and found out stores are closed on Sundays in Norway. Does this include all ports?

How does this affect on/off bus schedule in Alesund on 6/14 and tours in Honningsvag on 6/21?

Has anyone used the Eide Auto bus that does the Atlantic road from Molde?

Also, does the NCL Star dock in the center of Molde near the visitor's center?

Thanks for any information!

Shops are closed in Norway on Sundays (there is a big debate about this going on right now. I really hope shops do stay shut on Sundays as we all need a "day off" from shopping)

Some souvenir shops will be open. Also some small grocery shops are allowed to be open.

This is the easy version. There is more to it but I am not going into that here.

The hop on/off buses operates when ships are in town and will not be affected by this.

The ships do dock in the center of Molde unless there are many ships in port.

I have never used Eide Auto but they have been in business since 1934 so I guess they have done something right.

They are a bus company, they have tour vans/buses and transport of goods.

I hope this helps a little.

Thanks I-Cruiser for the information. Trying to figure out if we can get back in time before the ship leaves at 6:00 pm (1800)! I did email the company about using it as an on/off bus but I don't think we will have enough time to do that!

You want to use Eide Auto as a hop on/off bus. To where?..The Atlantic rd??