Can help with Ålesund & Norwegian Fjords:-)

I-Cruiser

Walking tours in Ålesund.

This is taken from a pdf about Ålesund (I can not figure out how to post the pdf here:-)...)

These tours are with a guide but they an easily be done "on your own".

They are suppose to be a help for planning your Ålesund stay. I am not sure if these tours currently operates.

For tour info contact: info@visitalesund.com

Tour 1: Ålesund Guided walk

AALESUNDS MUSEUM (OPTIONAL)

A stroll through Ålesund reveals a town full of colourful and

beautiful architecture as well as strong maritime traditions. Enjoy

the charming pedestrian zone and the picturesque fishing

harbour Brosundet where the fishermen sell their catch directly

from their boats. See the panoramic view of the town from the

lower part of Mount Aksla. Experience the distinctive Art Nouveau

architecture; the town was devastated by a fire a winter’s

night in 1904, leaving 10.000 people homeless. During a period

of three years, the entire town centre was rebuilt in this unique

style with a myriad of turrets, spires and medieval ornaments.

TOUR DESCRIPTION

Guided walk through the town centre and the inner harbour.

Please note that the tour does not take the group all the way

up to the vantage point at Mount Aksla. Optional for this tour is

to include a visit to the town museum, Aalesunds Museum, that

gives a vivid insight into the history of Ålesund. The permanent

exhibitions are devoted to the great town fire in 1904, World War

II, as well as the development of the town as one of Norway’s

most prominent fishing- and shipping ports.

FIGURES & FACTS

Duration: 1,5 – 2 hours

Capacity: 20 pax per. guide

Season: All year

Note: Walking tour

Visit to AALESUNDS MUSEUM optional

Tour 2: Ålesund Guided walk &

The Art Nouveau Centre

In the great fire of 23 January 1904 the whole town of Ålesund

was destroyed, and between 1904–1907 a new town rose like

Bird Phoenix from the ashes. More than 400 houses were

designed by 50 Norwegian architects, strongly inspired by an

international influence of Art Nouveau and National Romanticism.

The town has a unique place in Norwegian architectural history.

Its international significance is confirmed through participation

in a European network of Art Nouveau cities including Glasgow,

Vienna, Barcelona, Brussels and Riga.

Visit the National Art Nouveau Centre located in a beautiful

building from this period. Enjoy “The Time Machine” that takes

you back to the great fire in 1904. Through a multi media show

it gives you a direct insight into the dramatic happening that

stormy winter night. Informative and entertaining!

TOUR DESCRIPTION

Guided walk through the town centre, the inner harbour and the

town park. The tour includes a visit to the Art Nouveau Centre.

Coffee & cakes are available at the Art Nouveau Centre.

FIGURES & FACTS

Duration: 2,5 hours, 3 hours including coffee & cakes

Capacity: 15 pax per. guide

Note: Walking tour

Visit to the ART NOUVEAU CENTRE included

Edited by I-Cruiser

Around Ålesund:

TOUR 7: THE SAGA ISLANDS

GISKE AND GODØY

Explore the saga island of Giske, the birthplace of the Viking

chieftain Rollo, who invaded and founded Normandy in 911 and

thus became the ancestor of William the Conqueror, sire to the

English Royal Family. The island had a unique position during the

Viking Era and was the seat of one of Norway’s most powerful

noble families. Visit the marble Giske Church, dating back to the

1150 it was once the influent Giske family chapel. Experience the

island of Godøy with the picturesque fishing village of Alnes facing

the Atlantic Ocean. Take a short break at the lighthouse at

Alnes and enjoy an art exhibition in the old lighthouse by the local

and nationally renown artist Ørnulf Opdahl, before returning

to Ålesund with a stop en route at the vantage point Fjellstua/

Mount Aksla to enjoy the breathtaking views.

TOUR DESCRIPTION

The excursion goes by coach from the town centre through subsea

tunnels and across bridges to the islands of Giske and Godøy.

The excursion includes a visit to the Giske Church, Alnes Lighthouse

and Fjellstua/Mount Aksla viewpoint. Coffee & cakes are

optional at the lighthouse or at Fjellstua.

FIGURES & FACTS

Duration: 3 hours, 4 hours incl. coffee & cake

Capacity: 6 coaches during a 3 hour excursion, 4 coaches during

a 4 hour excursion (incl. coffee stop)

Note: Some walking involved. Considerable number of steps

in the lighthouse (optional)

Edited by I-Cruiser

This is a wonderful thread! We will be cruising Norway in June on the NCL Star and bringing grandsons ages 9 and 10. I would love recommendations for Alesund and Geirangerfjord that would appeal to two adventurous boys. Both have traveled with us a great deal and love to learn about new places.

I successfully booked the Islands Discovery Tour through More and Trodelag Guide services for a group of 16 from our roll call.

Lars, should we plan on tipping our guide and our driver? The tour cost is @406 NOK per person.

Takk!

I successfully booked the Islands Discovery Tour through More and Trodelag Guide services for a group of 16 from our roll call.

Lars, should we plan on tipping our guide and our driver? The tour cost is @406 NOK per person.

Takk!

Would you translate that cost in American dollars please.

Takk!

Congrats on the booking.

Yes, you should tip as you would to at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi Lars:We are booked to see the Fjords in Stavanger and book Bergen to see the Fjords too. Should we book that or just so sight seeing in Bergen.

Thank you for all your help. Iris

Hi Iris - What do YOU want to do? What do YOU want to see the most?

if the fjordtour in Bergen leaves some time for sightseeing then do book both.

This is a wonderful thread! We will be cruising Norway in June on the NCL Star and bringing grandsons ages 9 and 10. I would love recommendations for Alesund and Geirangerfjord that would appeal to two adventurous boys. Both have traveled with us a great deal and love to learn about new places.

Geiranger and Norway is all about the nature so everything will be geared toward that.

In Geiranger they have RIB tours.

One of the option are called a Safari class tour and an Adventure class tour.

The 0,5 hr tour goes to the Seven Sisters waterfall and gets you up close to the waterfalls. The price is NOK 200 for children and NOK 300 for adults.

The 1 hr tour goes a bit further out the fjord. The price for the 1 hr tour is children NOK 300 and adults NOK 500.

You may also take a 15 minute helicopter tour where you get to fly over the Mt. Dalsnibba , the fjord and the mountain range.

It does come with a price tag of NOK 900 for children and NOK 1300 for adults.

A more down to earth experiance is the Fjord center. There you learn about the life along the fjord in the past and now. There is a multimedia show and you get to walk inside restored buildings, barn etc.

Afterwards you walk down to the village via the waterfall walk.

I know last year there was a Viking tour on the fjord with a Viking ship.

You got to dress up as a Viking.

Lots of fun. I can not see it on the schedule this year but I am making enquires.

Lars:)

Edited by I-Cruiser

Hello I-cruiser

Just a question. How has this winter been so far regarding snow? We are really looking forward to see some of it in early June, and of course hope the waterfalls have plenty of water after it melts :-) The highest place we will visit by bus is Mount Dalsnibba

Strangely enough, last week was quite cold in the Mediterranean and we had a great deal of snow. Felt a bit like a Norwegian at heart!

neumallorca1.jpg

neumallorca2.jpg

Thank you for posting these gorgeous pictures. You have more winter than we do:D

Seriously, you have more snow than us at the moment:)

Since I live on the coast we have lots and lots of rain. We have had some snow but it never settles.

In the mountains there are plenty of snow.

My sister lives in Geiranger and last time I talked to her she said they had a few meters of snow.

We are still in February so lots of snow can happen in March and April....

So when the snow starts to melt the waterfall will be in full bloom. It will be spectacular for sure.

Thinking about taking the 9:30 am Mountain Highlight bus tour to Dalsnibba but hiking the waterfall up & down first. The Eclipse is due in Geiranger at 7am and if we disembarked ASAP would our timing work? We are in fairly good shape for a couple of old farts but would appreciate an estimate from you, Lars, about the length of time from ship, to the falls, the up & down stair climb, and back to where we'd catch the bus. Takk!

Thinking about taking the 9:30 am Mountain Highlight bus tour to Dalsnibba but hiking the waterfall up & down first. The Eclipse is due in Geiranger at 7am and if we disembarked ASAP would our timing work? We are in fairly good shape for a couple of old farts but would appreciate an estimate from you, Lars, about the length of time from ship, to the falls, the up & down stair climb, and back to where we'd catch the bus. Takk!

Which waterfalls are you wanting to climb?

Is it the waterfall walk or are you talking about an actual waterfall (like Storseterfossen)?

Which waterfalls are you wanting to climb?

Is it the waterfall walk or are you talking about an actual waterfall (like Storseterfossen)?

I did find a rough-drawn map of Geiranger after I posted and it looks like the base of the waterfall walk is fairly close to where we'd catch the bus:

http://www.geirangerfjord.no/upload/images/Maps/TownMapChris.jpg.

Hoping that the Eclipse will be connected to the ship walkway instead of having to tender!

This is a good map. Thank you for posting it.

It is really a short walk.

I would suggest you walk the road to the church then to hotel Union for the waterfall walk.

Just On the corner of the hotel - On the right side there is a small wood house and a short cut to the walk.

You can easily walk from the pier to the walk in 15-20 minutes. The walk down in 20-30 minutes.

If you use a leasurly 1 hr/1,5 hr you can do it before your tour.

This is a good map. Thank you for posting it.

It is really a short walk.

I would suggest you walk the road to the church then to hotel Union for the waterfall walk.

Just On the corner of the hotel - On the right side there is a small wood house and a short cut to the walk.

You can easily walk from the pier to the walk in 15-20 minutes. The walk down in 20-30 minutes.

If you use a leasurly 1 hr/1,5 hr you can do it before your tour.

Hi Lars,

Is the parking shown on the map, by the supermarket, the only parking in town? How quickly would that fill up? We are planning to drive to Gerianger from Andalasnes and I would like to do the waterfall walk before heading back off again. But we won't have a lot of time to spend there so don't want to waste too much time trying to park the car!

Thanks

Ann

Hi Lars,

Is the parking shown on the map, by the supermarket, the only parking in town? How quickly would that fill up? We are planning to drive to Gerianger from Andalasnes and I would like to do the waterfall walk before heading back off again. But we won't have a lot of time to spend there so don't want to waste too much time trying to park the car!

Thanks

Ann

Hi Anne.

The parking by the supermarket is the largest parking spot. I never had problems finding parking tho.

There is also some parking spaces further along by the school. Another option is to use the parking by Hotel Union.

I am sure you will find a space very easily.

Hi Lars,

Thanks

Ann

Hi Ann,

We should just follow each other around because this is our plan too! LOL

It's going to KILL my husband to be on a strict timetable though due to his obsessive picture taking. 4 months from yesterday by the way!

HI LARS:

DO you know how far the piers are from the following ports and if there are free shuttles from the pier to the town?

Stavanger

Bergen

Geirnger

Molde

Also how far is the Panorama bus in Geiranger and the cost.

Thanks for all your help. i really appreciate it. iris

HI LARS:

DO you know how far the piers are from the following ports and if there are free shuttles from the pier to the town?

Stavanger

Bergen

Geirnger

Molde

Also how far is the Panorama bus in Geiranger and the cost.

Thanks for all your help. i really appreciate it. iris

Iris - if you see further down the page a map is posted of Geiranger.

There it will show where the panorama bus pick you up.

Stavanger - in town

Bergen - 10 minute walk

Geiranger - Tender service or floating dock. Panorama bus is just across the street from the tender landing.

Molde - in town.

I doubt there are free shuttles. This is up to your cruise line.

Edited by I-Cruiser

Lars: This is the tour we are thinking of taking with RODNE. Do you think we will see more on this tour than the Panorama bus?

Because of cold weather and ice in the fjord of Mostraumen, we need to make a change in the route of the fjord cruise to Mostraumen. The boat will go as far into the fjord as possible, and on the return it will go northbound to the famous currents of Bergen. You will still experience fjord, mountains and beautiful winter landscape! The departure times and tour duration will follow the schedule.

Experience the fjords, mountains and waterfalls!

On this trip, we take you to the innermost part of the Osterfjord, right into the narrow Mostraumen with its strong current. Boats are just able to pass through, which is an experience in itself. Our modern catamaran takes you on an adventure featuring several waterfalls and narrow fjords surrounded by steep mountains. On the afternoon departure there will be an extra stop by a beautiful waterfall called Heskjedalsfossen, and we will sail around Osterøy on the return back to Bergen.

Thanks. Lars

-

Lars: This is the tour we are thinking of taking with RODNE. Do you think we will see more on this tour than the Panorama bus?

Because of cold weather and ice in the fjord of Mostraumen, we need to make a change in the route of the fjord cruise to Mostraumen. The boat will go as far into the fjord as possible, and on the return it will go northbound to the famous currents of Bergen. You will still experience fjord, mountains and beautiful winter landscape! The departure times and tour duration will follow the schedule.

Experience the fjords, mountains and waterfalls!

On this trip, we take you to the innermost part of the Osterfjord, right into the narrow Mostraumen with its strong current. Boats are just able to pass through, which is an experience in itself. Our modern catamaran takes you on an adventure featuring several waterfalls and narrow fjords surrounded by steep mountains. On the afternoon departure there will be an extra stop by a beautiful waterfall called Heskjedalsfossen, and we will sail around Osterøy on the return back to Bergen.

Thanks. Lars

-

As i have not done these tour myself I can not tell you - However I can advice you.

The thing I will advice you to do is to read more about the places these tours visits.

Google pictures of the places the tours are visiting.

Then it will be easy for you to decide what you like the best.

What panorama bus are you referring to?