Can help with Ålesund & Norwegian Fjords:-)

I-Cruiser

If you really want to see a stav church then ️its worth going to see the one in Rødven or the one outside Flåm.

The one outside Bergen is also ok to visit. But it is a replica. To me that like going to Vegas to see the Grand Canal in Venice.[emoji4]

As always, thank you so much for your continued guidance. I understand what you are saying and ideally, I would love the most authentic, but in reality, this is all going to be about TIMING. So I think I'll take the information with me for Rodven and take the day as it comes with our venture. All of this will be mute if the road isn't even opened in mid May. :-) But hopefully we can get an early start and not get TOO side tracked with beauty and be able to fit it in. :-) If not, we know it will be a great day no matter what.

In honestly wish we had more time in Flam since that sounds ideal, but just no way to squeeze any more time in a day for that port.

And since Bergen is our last port call on the way back down for the Arctic Circle, we will venture out to that one if we haven't been able to reach any of the others. I understand we have an overload of ships in port for our day, so it may be a good way to explore elsewhere in stead of fighting the lines at the funicular. I think I have a lot of plan A and B's along the way no matter what. Thanks again so very much, Lars.

I was lucky enough, last year, to visit both Rodven (from Åndalsness) and Fantoft (from Bergen). Rodven is more a chapel than a church. This chapel is totally authentic (never been moved, when a lot a stave churches have been) and the only one on a shore : nice surroundings, charming stave chapel but a little bit small and simple to be "the only one to see". In my opinion, although rebuilt, Fantoft is a marvel : in the heart of the forest, with those carved dragons'heads on the roof, the place is simply magic. Yes, it has been rebuilt and I understand it matters for some people, but, after all, St Petersburg palaces have been largely rebuilt after WWII and the amber room is not authentic, is it a reason to skip the visit? And, being french, I can tell you (in secret, of course, don't repeat it) the Eiffel tower is no more the one she used to be during the19th century : they have to change pieces every year!

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Forums

I appreciate your insight. You make valid points for both and seeing both sounds like you did it up right. They sound like two very different experiences and both have reasons of their own for a visit. Thank you for the comparison.

Yes, thank you. Post #29 in the Bergen Thread is very helpful also.

Thank you. I had read through that entire thread early on, but was on a different Bergen track at that time and hadn't focused on that particular post, so thank you for bringing it to my attention. Yep....copied that down as well. My manila envelope is growing by the day with all my "homework". :-) Thanks.

You will be able to use it when you have the pin. A pin code is normally very easy to get.

May not be true for cards issued in the US. There are very few true chip & pin cards in the US. On a recent trip our companions were assured that their Bank of America card would work all over Europe - it had an embedded chip and the bank issued them a pin. They learned the hard way at the metro kiosks in Budapest.

Although it has an embedded chip our AMEX card is not a true chip and pin that will work in Europe

We were able to get a card from USAA that works everywhere.

We have encountered a few situations where we were unable to use cards not having the EMV capability.

This may help:

http://www.creditcards.org/credit-cards-with-emv-smart-chips?lp=1&gclid=Cj0KEQjw3M6oBRDnnIywo5i287ABEiQAXRm7S8Qaef649zC93Ca4uuRclGtoSwDX83hZGjQ0Wh25tH4aAhbL8P8HAQ\

http://creditcardforum.com/blog/chip-and-pin-credit-cards-usa/

May not be true for cards issued in the US. There are very few true chip & pin cards in the US. On a recent trip our companions were assured that their Bank of America card would work all over Europe - it had an embedded chip and the bank issued them a pin. They learned the hard way at the metro kiosks in Budapest.

Although it has an embedded chip our AMEX card is not a true chip and pin that will work in Europe

We were able to get a card from USAA that works everywhere.

We have encountered a few situations where we were unable to use cards not having the EMV capability.

This may help:

http://www.creditcards.org/credit-cards-with-emv-smart-chips?lp=1&gclid=Cj0KEQjw3M6oBRDnnIywo5i287ABEiQAXRm7S8Qaef649zC93Ca4uuRclGtoSwDX83hZGjQ0Wh25tH4aAhbL8P8HAQ\

http://creditcardforum.com/blog/chip-and-pin-credit-cards-usa/

How peculiar indeed. Over here - or for me at least - its strange to see a card without chip and pin.

I have a Diners Card without a chip and its not easy to use it in shops.

I hope you are successful in obtaining a pin that works.

Its funny really; in daily life I always use my cards, no cash at all.

When we are travelling I am using cash only. I suppose I do not want to go and search for an ATM when in ports even tho they are known to be on every corner :)

Edited by I-Cruiser

As always, thank you so much for your continued guidance. I understand what you are saying and ideally, I would love the most authentic, but in reality, this is all going to be about TIMING. So I think I'll take the information with me for Rodven and take the day as it comes with our venture. All of this will be mute if the road isn't even opened in mid May. :-) But hopefully we can get an early start and not get TOO side tracked with beauty and be able to fit it in. :-) If not, we know it will be a great day no matter what.

In honestly wish we had more time in Flam since that sounds ideal, but just no way to squeeze any more time in a day for that port.

And since Bergen is our last port call on the way back down for the Arctic Circle, we will venture out to that one if we haven't been able to reach any of the others. I understand we have an overload of ships in port for our day, so it may be a good way to explore elsewhere in stead of fighting the lines at the funicular. I think I have a lot of plan A and B's along the way no matter what. Thanks again so very much, Lars.

You are so welcome:) I always have a plan B and also a C sometimes. Plans always change and much also depends on the weather that day.

Have fun planning!!

How peculiar indeed. Over here - or for me at least - its strange to see a card without chip and pin.

I have a Diners Card without a chip and its not easy to use it in shops. :)

Yes, in this particular area, the US has some catching up to do.

Hi ICruiser

I have reviewed most of this great thread and thank you for all of the info. You answered this in a much earlier thread, but wanted to ask in a slightly different manner. We have a car reserved at avis in Alesund. Our ship is in port from 0700 - 1600. We can get the car at 0800. We want to drive the Path of the Trolls, but want to know the best route to get this done and be back to the ship by 1500. I do not mind repeating the route I take to get there. So..the maps show the E136 out of town to Andalsnes where you connect to 63 to Trollstigen, or E136 to 650 to Valldal where 63 would take you to Trollstigen.

We would love to be able to do the full circle, but not sure we could make the 6-7 hours. It appears the road to Valldal is shorter. Can tou give me your best recommendation based upon the times I have. Thanks so much.

Tom Trainor

Hello I would really like help figuring out how to get to Briksdal Glacier to do the troll cars. We will be coming in on June 25th and we want to take the public bus to the where we can grab the Troll Cars. I have read a few post but it is unclear as to when and where we can grab the public bus and if it can be booked in advanced and the price. If you could help I would really appreciate it.

Hello I would really like help figuring out how to get to Briksdal Glacier to do the troll cars. We will be coming in on June 25th and we want to take the public bus to the where we can grab the Troll Cars. I have read a few post but it is unclear as to when and where we can grab the public bus and if it can be booked in advanced and the price. If you could help I would really appreciate it.

HI there - Not sure how much the bus cost pp now but a few years ago it was NOK 45.

The bus can not be pre booked.

The bus schedule is posted below.

http://www.ruteinfo.net/RuteinfoIISStaticTables/Tables/ruter/t/14-751.htm

I know in the past there used to be a "Glacier Bus" departing:

From Olden (centre): 09:55

Arrival Briksdalsbre Fjellstove (mountain lodge): 10:40

From Briksdalsbre Fjellstove (mountain lodge): 13:30

From Olden (centre): 14:25 (arrival 14:00)

This bus should be running but I have not seen any info regarding operation this year.

This info is from another poster:

There wasn't a bus stop or sign near where the ship docked but the shopkeeper in the souvenir shop (NOT the tourist information office) directed us to it. The bus arrived right on schedule at 9.45am. A few other passengers got on at the nearby ICA supermarket where there is a bus stop sign, so you could go there if you're unsure about where to go. The journey was 45 krone per person each way. It was a beautiful drive around two greeny-blue lakes.

On arrival, we walked from the car park to the Glacier in around an hour (but with lots of stops for photographs!). We walked back down in around 30 minutes and took the 1.30pm bus back.

I do hope this helps a little.

Lars

Hi ICruiser

I have reviewed most of this great thread and thank you for all of the info. You answered this in a much earlier thread, but wanted to ask in a slightly different manner. We have a car reserved at avis in Alesund. Our ship is in port from 0700 - 1600. We can get the car at 0800. We want to drive the Path of the Trolls, but want to know the best route to get this done and be back to the ship by 1500. I do not mind repeating the route I take to get there. So..the maps show the E136 out of town to Andalsnes where you connect to 63 to Trollstigen, or E136 to 650 to Valldal where 63 would take you to Trollstigen.

We would love to be able to do the full circle, but not sure we could make the 6-7 hours. It appears the road to Valldal is shorter. Can tou give me your best recommendation based upon the times I have. Thanks so much.

Tom Trainor

Tom - Doing a full circle or backtracking will take approx. 6 hrs without stops.

I normally use 7 -8 hrs with stops and lunch.

If you skip lunch and only do the Trolllstigen plateau and view point it will save you some time.

The advantage of backtracking is that you will be familiar with the road and as a result it will be harder to "get lost".

Lars

HI there - Not sure how much the bus cost pp now but a few years ago it was NOK 45.

The bus can not be pre booked.

The bus schedule is posted below.

http://www.ruteinfo.net/RuteinfoIISStaticTables/Tables/ruter/t/14-751.htm

I know in the past there used to be a "Glacier Bus" departing:

From Olden (centre): 09:55

Arrival Briksdalsbre Fjellstove (mountain lodge): 10:40

From Briksdalsbre Fjellstove (mountain lodge): 13:30

From Olden (centre): 14:25 (arrival 14:00)

This bus should be running but I have not seen any info regarding operation this year.

This info is from another poster:

There wasn't a bus stop or sign near where the ship docked but the shopkeeper in the souvenir shop (NOT the tourist information office) directed us to it. The bus arrived right on schedule at 9.45am. A few other passengers got on at the nearby ICA supermarket where there is a bus stop sign, so you could go there if you're unsure about where to go. The journey was 45 krone per person each way. It was a beautiful drive around two greeny-blue lakes.

On arrival, we walked from the car park to the Glacier in around an hour (but with lots of stops for photographs!). We walked back down in around 30 minutes and took the 1.30pm bus back.

I do hope this helps a little.

Lars

Thanks this helps. The stop on schedule you attached that is closest to the cruise terminal is Olden sentrum correct? Thanks again for this!

The advantage of backtracking is that you will be familiar with the road and as a result it will be harder to "get lost".

Lars

Does getting lost in this area happen often? We have requested a GPS with the car, but this comment certainly caught my attention. :-)

Thanks this helps. The stop on schedule you attached that is closest to the cruise terminal is Olden sentrum correct? Thanks again for this!

Yes, thats right.

Just to be sure if you dont see a bus stopsign ask in the shops.

Does getting lost in this area happen often? We have requested a GPS with the car, but this comment certainly caught my attention. :-)

A GPS is a good idea.

It does not happen often but, new to the area, the roads, signage in Norwegian.. ️Its easy to take a wrong turn...

We will be in Norway in August on the Voyage of the Vikings Cruise with HAL. I've listed our Norway stops and our current plans and questions. I'm also interested in your opinion of whether we have selected the best choices - it is our first visit to every port. We like nature and prefer to either do things on our own or in small groups.

Geiranger (in port 10a-11p): RIB Mountain combo Boat/Bus Any need to book this before arrival?

Alesund (in port 7a-5p): I was thinking of doing the viewpoint on Aksla followed by a trip to the Alnes lighthouse then walking around town. However, after reading this thread, sounds like a better choice would be the Path to Trollstigen. Any chance we could do this route using a HOHO or public transportation?

Bergen (in port 8a-5p): Take a bus to the Ulriken gondola, hike the Vidden trail from Ulriken to Floyen, ride the fernicular down and walk back to the ship exploring the town along the way. I've read we should expect rain so I'm wondering if you could recommend a favorite brand of rain pants that are lightweight and compact enough to take in a day pack? Also, we are in Bergen on a Sunday...does that affect anything?

Thank you for devoting your time to help everyone. This thread has so much great information!

We will be in Norway in August on the Voyage of the Vikings Cruise with HAL. I've listed our Norway stops and our current plans and questions. I'm also interested in your opinion of whether we have selected the best choices - it is our first visit to every port. We like nature and prefer to either do things on our own or in small groups.

Geiranger (in port 10a-11p): RIB Mountain combo Boat/Bus Any need to book this before arrival?

I would pre book as to make sure they are not sold out on the day.

RIB is fun but might be a bit hard on the lowerback.

Alesund (in port 7a-5p): I was thinking of doing the viewpoint on Aksla followed by a trip to the Alnes lighthouse then walking around town. However, after reading this thread, sounds like a better choice would be the Path to Trollstigen. Any chance we could do this route using a HOHO or public transportation?

I love Alnes and the lighthouse. There are no HOHO bus to the Trollstigen. There are public buses but none that will fit with your timeframe in port.

You either have to take a ships tour or rent a car.

Bergen (in port 8a-5p): Take a bus to the Ulriken gondola, hike the Vidden trail from Ulriken to Floyen, ride the fernicular down and walk back to the ship exploring the town along the way. I've read we should expect rain so I'm wondering if you could recommend a favorite brand of rain pants that are lightweight and compact enough to take in a day pack? Also, we are in Bergen on a Sunday...does that affect anything?

Sounds like a wonderful day planned. I have no other suggestion to add to this day.

Sunday most of the shops except for souvenir shops will be closed. But I guess you dont plan on going shopping in Bergen:) The buses will have "sunday schedule" but I doubt it will affect your plans.

Regarding rain gear: Helly Hansen, Ilse Jacobsen, Gaastra, Bench, Nike, Puma has rain gear of good quality.

There are probably other brands where you live.....

Thank you for devoting your time to help everyone. This thread has so much great information!

You have some great plans booked for your ports.

My comments in red:)

Happy cruising.

Lars

Posting a very interesting link to the National Tourist roads.

http://www.nasjonaleturistveger.no/en

Click the arrow until you get the picture of the Trollstigen plateau.

Click on the "Geiranger-Trollstigen" for article and pictures.

Do click on the pictures as they "hide" other pictures...Its all a little treasure trove this.

Having seen these landscapes many times before I am still in awe to the nature architect and architecture.

http://www.nasjonaleturistveger.no/en/routes/geiranger-trollstigen

...never have God or humankind created anything more beautiful.....

Enjoy:)

Edited by I-Cruiser

Posting a very interesting link to the National Tourist roads.

http://www.nasjonaleturistveger.no/en

Click the arrow until you get the picture of the Trollstigen plateau.

Click on the "Geiranger-Trollstigen" for article and pictures.

Do click on the pictures as they "hide" other pictures...Its all a little treasure trove this.

Having seen these landscapes many times before I am still in awe to the nature architect and architecture.

http://www.nasjonaleturistveger.no/en/routes/geiranger-trollstigen

...never have God or humankind created anything more beautiful.....

Enjoy:)

I'm enjoying all the visuals as well as the photobucket below this note. So very excited.

When in April do you generally hear about the Troll Rd. In the middle of the month or more like the end of the month? The days just aren't clicking by fast enough. :-)

I'm enjoying all the visuals as well as the photobucket below this note. So very excited.

When in April do you generally hear about the Troll Rd. In the middle of the month or more like the end of the month? The days just aren't clicking by fast enough. :-)

:D I fully understand how you feel.

Well, usually a few weeks before the roads open. It all depends on the weather so as you can imagine very hard to tell exactly.

Hopefully we know more before we leave for our cruise April 21 (return May 5).

The road to Mt. Dalsnibba is planned to open first week in May.

There is very little snow in the area and the work to start opening the road are planned to start next week.

This is not confirmed officially yet. This info is from people in the know living in Geiranger.