Can help with Ålesund & Norwegian Fjords:-)

I-Cruiser

Lars, Any word on Trollstigen yet? I know you say that there is a good chance it will be opened May 20, but as I read so much online regarding past years, it paints it a lot more grim. But those are generally done by tourists vs people actually from Norway, so I'm holding out in hopes that you will be able to give an official word before we leave on Thursday. Still keeping my fingers crossed.

Unfortunately nothing yet.

The last I heard was that April 26 most of the road was open. Then in late April we had some snow.

Apparently there is very little snow in the area right now. From what I know the company working on opening the road is waiting for a few avalanches to release before they can open the road safely.

Here is the opening dates for previous years. As you can see you are right on on the "edge".

2000 – 26. mai

2001 – 21. mai

2002 – 23. mai

2003 – 28. mai

2004 – 29. mai

2005 – 01. juni

2006 – 23. mai

2007 – 23. mai

2008 - 27. mai

2009 - 20. mai

2010 - 28. mai

2011 - 13. mai

2012 - 01. juni

2013 - 22. mai

2014 - 08. mai

The road to Mt. Dalsnibba in Geiranger:

The road to the Djupvatnet lodge is open but the stretch up to the mountain is closed.

This year it was 6 meters with snow so you can imagine it will take a while to make the road safe for use.

I check daily and will report of the opening as soon as I know:):)

Edited by I-Cruiser

Thanks Lars. I'm sure I'm sounding impatient, but it's really NOT directed at you. I know you don't have control of knowing when it will open. My husband and I have been talking though and we are thinking that if we can't get through, we will cancel the car and find things to do locally. But trying to cancel the car while on the cruise ship may be harder, so wondering if we will need to just make a decision on Thursday before we leave. In any case, I really really do appreciate you keeping an eye opened on this. Thanks.

Thanks Lars. I'm sure I'm sounding impatient, but it's really NOT directed at you. I know you don't have control of knowing when it will open. My husband and I have been talking though and we are thinking that if we can't get through, we will cancel the car and find things to do locally. But trying to cancel the car while on the cruise ship may be harder, so wondering if we will need to just make a decision on Thursday before we leave. In any case, I really really do appreciate you keeping an eye opened on this. Thanks.

Its all good :) I understand you completely.

I guess you have a 24 hrs cancelation policy. I would advice you to make a

plan B but, to wait to cancel the rental car.

Sending an email to cancel would be very straight forward.

I suppose you will check your email almost daily??

If you want I can send you an email when I know about the opening date.

Its all up to you and what you feel comfortable with.

My email is: icruisertogo@gmail.com

Lars

Its all good :) I understand you completely.

I guess you have a 24 hrs cancelation policy. I would advice you to make a

plan B but, to wait to cancel the rental car.

Sending an email to cancel would be very straight forward.

I suppose you will check your email almost daily??

If you want I can send you an email when I know about the opening date.

Its all up to you and what you feel comfortable with.

My email is: icruisertogo@gmail.com

Lars

Thank you, Lars. I just sent you an email so you can get me the information on the Troll Rd. while we are on the ship. Thanks again. I'll go check the cancellation policy because yes, if it is just an email to send, that would be much easier.

Lars,

Thanks for all of the information that you have posted.

We will be in Alesund in mid-June. Our ship arrives at 7AM and is scheduled to depart at 4PM. I have rented a car for the day and understand that the earliest we can pick it up is 8AM. Is it possible to make it to the Trollstigen and return with enough time to return the car and make it back to the ship by 3:30PM?

The route we were planning is Alesund to Valldalen, to route 63 to Trollstigen, to Andalsnes, then back to Alesund via E136.

Is that too ambitious of a plan given our time in port, or is it doable? Does it make more sense to travel back to Alesund through Valldalen instead of going through Andalsnes?

If too ambitious, can you suggest other drives in the area that might fit within the timeframe?

Thanks, in advance, for your help!

Good morning Lars,

First, let me thank you for being so kind in answering everyone's questions! We will be aboard the Norwegian Star docking:

Ålesund on Sunday, 7 June 2015

Geiranger on Monday, 8 June 2015

Flam on Tuesday, 9 June 2015 and

Bergen on Wednesday, 10 June 2015

I've read all the posts regarding the fishing tours/expeditions, etc. and followed the links to the different websites. My brother would like to go fishing in Ålesund while we (myself, husband and sister-in-law) do a bus trip to the Trolls Road. My sister-in-law is now writing to the companies that you have suggested, and is awaiting answers. The problems seem to arise with him being a lone person and needing to hire the entire boat = too much cost!

My questions in the meanwhile is:

Can he fish by the pier in any of these ports? Would he need a license for this (especially being it will be a Sunday while we are in Ålesund, and the post office, I assume, will be closed and no hope of obtaining a license if needed).

He is planning on bringing some of his own equipment. Will he be able to purchase bait somewhere in the port?

Is there any chance that there is an area where he may be able to join an already organized fishing tour once we are in port? Do the fisherman tend to hang out somewhere before setting out?

As I said, I really do appreciate all the help you've given everyone (I've learned so much from reading this thread) - thank you!

Jane.

WE HAVE RESULT.

BOTH TROLLSTIGEN AND THE ROAD GEIRANGER MOUNTAIN WILL OPEN FOR TRAFFIC TOMORROW WEDNESDAY MAY 13.

Here is a link to a video showing the amount of work it is getting the roads open for the season.

http://www.sunnmoringen.no/nyhende/article10952593.ece

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!!!!!!! :-) :-) :-)

Lars,

Thanks for all of the information that you have posted.

We will be in Alesund in mid-June. Our ship arrives at 7AM and is scheduled to depart at 4PM. I have rented a car for the day and understand that the earliest we can pick it up is 8AM. Is it possible to make it to the Trollstigen and return with enough time to return the car and make it back to the ship by 3:30PM?

The route we were planning is Alesund to Valldalen, to route 63 to Trollstigen, to Andalsnes, then back to Alesund via E136.

Is that too ambitious of a plan given our time in port, or is it doable? Does it make more sense to travel back to Alesund through Valldalen instead of going through Andalsnes

If too ambitious, can you suggest other drives in the area that might fit within the timeframe?

Thanks, in advance, for your help!

You are very welcome:)

You can do it but it might be a bit tight.

I would do a back track simply because you have driven the road en route to Trollstige and thus know the way. From a time aspect its the same.

Lets say you will use without stopping 2.5 hrs to Trollstigen - Total r/t 5 hrs.

Driving down/up the road another 30-45 minutes. You might want to stop at the view plateau for 30 minutes..

It can be done but a bit rushed....You might want to omit driving down/up the road itself and stay only at the Trollstigen plateau.

I am more than happy to provide other trips if you want.

Lars

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!!!!!!! :-) :-) :-)

:D:D I knew you would like that. The first person I thought about when I read this was you thinking "they will make it!!".

I was just about to email you.

Have a wonderful cruise and please to come back and tell us all about it.

Lars

Good morning Lars,

First, let me thank you for being so kind in answering everyone's questions! We will be aboard the Norwegian Star docking:

Ålesund on Sunday, 7 June 2015

Geiranger on Monday, 8 June 2015

Flam on Tuesday, 9 June 2015 and

Bergen on Wednesday, 10 June 2015

I've read all the posts regarding the fishing tours/expeditions, etc. and followed the links to the different websites. My brother would like to go fishing in Ålesund while we (myself, husband and sister-in-law) do a bus trip to the Trolls Road. My sister-in-law is now writing to the companies that you have suggested, and is awaiting answers. The problems seem to arise with him being a lone person and needing to hire the entire boat = too much cost!

My questions in the meanwhile is:

Can he fish by the pier in any of these ports? Would he need a license for this (especially being it will be a Sunday while we are in Ålesund, and the post office, I assume, will be closed and no hope of obtaining a license if needed).

He is planning on bringing some of his own equipment. Will he be able to purchase bait somewhere in the port?

Is there any chance that there is an area where he may be able to join an already organized fishing tour once we are in port? Do the fisherman tend to hang out somewhere before setting out?

As I said, I really do appreciate all the help you've given everyone (I've learned so much from reading this thread) - thank you!

Jane.

Hi Jane,

These are some really good questions:)

There are fishing tours in the ports but I am not sure if their departure times will fit with your schedule.

I presume you already have contacted booking@geirangerfjord.no for tours in Geiranger.... post@62.no for tours in Ålesund....

In Geiranger he can fish on the rocks either side of the fjord. I would think the same for Flåm.

Its might be more difficult to fish in the ports of Ålesund and Bergen. The fishing spots tend to me away from the towns. If he can take a taxi out of town it would be better. I have seen people fishing from bridges etc out of town.

Fishing in saltwater (fjords and ocean) does not require a fishing permit in Norway.

I am not a "fishy" (:D:D) person so not sure what kind of bait is required. It it is what I think it might be (:D) its not possible to purchase.

I hope this helps a little.

Lars

You are very welcome:)

You can do it but it might be a bit tight.

I would do a back track simply because you have driven the road en route to Trollstige and thus know the way. From a time aspect its the same.

Lets say you will use without stopping 2.5 hrs to Trollstigen - Total r/t 5 hrs.

Driving down/up the road another 30-45 minutes. You might want to stop at the view plateau for 30 minutes..

It can be done but a bit rushed....You might want to omit driving down/up the road itself and stay only at the Trollstigen plateau.

I am more than happy to provide other trips if you want.

Lars

Lars,

Thanks for the information and advice. Could you suggest one or two other routes that might have good drives for that timeframe? We're interested in scenery, etc.

Thanks!

:D:D I knew you would like that. The first person I thought about when I read this was you thinking "they will make it!!".

I was just about to email you.

Have a wonderful cruise and please to come back and tell us all about it.

Lars

Will do and thank you for EVERYTHING. You have been amazing.

Hi Jane,

These are some really good questions:)

There are fishing tours in the ports but I am not sure if their departure times will fit with your schedule.

I presume you already have contacted booking@geirangerfjord.no for tours in Geiranger.... post@62.no for tours in Ålesund....

In Geiranger he can fish on the rocks either side of the fjord. I would think the same for Flåm.

Its might be more difficult to fish in the ports of Ålesund and Bergen. The fishing spots tend to me away from the towns. If he can take a taxi out of town it would be better. I have seen people fishing from bridges etc out of town.

Fishing in saltwater (fjords and ocean) does not require a fishing permit in Norway.

I am not a "fishy" (:D:D) person so not sure what kind of bait is required. It it is what I think it might be (:D) its not possible to purchase.

I hope this helps a little.

Lars

Yes, it does help some...thank you.

I guess I will continue searching for some way for him to get out on a boat that a 2nd mortgage will not be required. If you should happen to hear of anyone that would let him join a group, please post here (I will keep up with this thread as there is always someone that asks a question that I hadn't thought about!)

Thank you again Lars, ...I love your photos also! I cannot wait to arrive in your beautiful country.

Jane.

Lars,

Thank you for all the helpful posts and answers in this forum. Over the past few months I’ve read through most of it. I have a couple of questions that I don’t think have previously been asked. I apologize if they have been.

How long does it take to walk down from the Fjellstoua Viewpoint to where the cruise ships dock? We will be on the Brilliance of the Seas which will be in port until about 11pm on August 1st. It looks like the sun sets about 10:24pm that night. I would love to get sunset or dusk pictures from there, but don’t want to risk missing the ship.

Our stop after Alesund is Geiranger. Unfortunately, that is a Sunday. How much of the town will be open?

What does utsiktsplatåer mean? I was reading a translation of one of the Norway travel sites that mentioned Trollstigen. “The road with has eleven hairpin bends, is now also equipped with spectacular utsiktsplatåer.” (Trollstigen har vært en turistmagnet siden veien ble åpnet i 1936. Veien med sine elleve hårnålssvinger, er nå også utstyrt med spektakulære utsiktsplatåer.)

Thanks!

Becky

Lars,

Thanks for the information and advice. Could you suggest one or two other routes that might have good drives for that timeframe? We're interested in scenery, etc.

Thanks!

Even though you will have beautiful nature and vistas in the Ålesund area it will take approx. 2 hrs drive to get to a "highlight".

One of my favourite is the drive to the little village of Øye (and the hotel Union Øye).

The drive is spectacular and the highlight is driving the narrow but amazing "Norangsdalen" (The Norang valley).

Its a 2.5 hrs drive each way without stop.

Here is the route (Follow the blue route and backtrack when returning to Ålesund)

https://www.google.no/maps/dir/%C3%85lesund/Hotell+Union+%C3%98ye+AS,+%C3%98ye,+6196+Norangsfjorden/@62.2821786,6.3287872,10z/data=!4m15!4m14!1m5!1m1!1s0x4616da471047fb4b:0xe82562ee3bc08fea!2m2!1d6.149482!2d62.4722284!1m5!1m1!1s0x461691283bec0f31:0xd83ad051822b53de!2m2!1d6.659717!2d62.193091!3e0!5i1

Alternatively you can drive only to the village of "Stranda" and/or "Hellesylt"

The drive to those villages takes 1,5 to 2 hrs respectively.

https://www.google.no/maps/dir/%C3%85lesund/Hellesylt/@62.2821786,6.3287872,10z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x4616da471047fb4b:0xe82562ee3bc08fea!2m2!1d6.149482!2d62.4722284!1m5!1m1!1s0x461684d1705ca205:0x1f76cbe4f3362d2f!2m2!1d6.8686937!2d62.086076!3e0

Also what might be interesting is to drive to Stranda..then ferry over to Liabygda and drive along the Storfjord back to Ålesund.

https://www.google.no/maps/dir/%C3%85lesund/Stranda+Hotel,+Allmenningen,+Stranda/Liabygda/%C3%85lesund/@62.3894335,6.3287873,10z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m26!4m25!1m5!1m1!1s0x4616da471047fb4b:0xe82562ee3bc08fea!2m2!1d6.149482!2d62.4722284!1m5!1m1!1s0x4616a244b11880a3:0xda03810e1f908554!2m2!1d6.947093!2d62.307407!1m5!1m1!1s0x4616a22bf1f875e1:0x6a60dc20147fa1a8!2m2!1d7.0526171!2d62.3118752!1m5!1m1!1s0x4616da471047fb4b:0xe82562ee3bc08fea!2m2!1d6.149482!2d62.4722284!3e0

These two last itineraries offers lots of beautiful nature but no such highlight as Trollstigen and Øye.

If you would like to stay closer to Ålesund you could visit the Island of Giske and the old church there.

Continue to the island of Godøya and the stunning lighthouse at Alnes.

https://www.google.no/maps/dir/%C3%85lesund/Giske+kirke,+Gjerdevegen,+Giske/Alnes/@62.4950414,6.0456468,12z/data=!4m20!4m19!1m5!1m1!1s0x4616da471047fb4b:0xe82562ee3bc08fea!2m2!1d6.149482!2d62.4722284!1m5!1m1!1s0x4616d9d2534a7bbd:0xfe3d29ed2c1d2461!2m2!1d6.0502!2d62.498653!1m5!1m1!1s0x4616d873679a3b5d:0xb2f118179ecc7421!2m2!1d5.9742387!2d62.4856696!3e0

You can combine this will a trip to the Mt. Fjellstua. The open air museum and maybe a drive to Langevåg and the factory outlet Devold.

These are a few itineraries. If you have more questions let me know.

Lars:)

Lars,

Thank you for all the helpful posts and answers in this forum. Over the past few months I’ve read through most of it. I have a couple of questions that I don’t think have previously been asked. I apologize if they have been.

How long does it take to walk down from the Fjellstoua Viewpoint to where the cruise ships dock? We will be on the Brilliance of the Seas which will be in port until about 11pm on August 1st. It looks like the sun sets about 10:24pm that night. I would love to get sunset or dusk pictures from there, but don’t want to risk missing the ship.

Our stop after Alesund is Geiranger. Unfortunately, that is a Sunday. How much of the town will be open?

What does utsiktsplatåer mean? I was reading a translation of one of the Norway travel sites that mentioned Trollstigen. “The road with has eleven hairpin bends, is now also equipped with spectacular utsiktsplatåer.” (Trollstigen har vært en turistmagnet siden veien ble åpnet i 1936. Veien med sine elleve hårnålssvinger, er nå også utstyrt med spektakulære utsiktsplatåer.)

Thanks!

Becky

Hi Becky:)

You will need 30-40minutes comfortably walking down the stairs and back to the ship. By car no more then 10 minutes.

I would think all onboard is 1030 pm since you are leaving at 11pm.

The new improved stairs are opening today so I will check them out soon.

The sailing from Ålesund to Geiranger takes no more then 5 hrs (in effect) or if you drive the stretch 2 hrs.

You could do a planned "missed ship" (:D) and drive to Geiranger to pick up the ship the next day.

Geiranger is all about tourists so everything will be open even tho its a Sunday.

"Utsiktsplatåer" means viewing plateau/or platforms.

The viewplatforms at Trollstigen is really spectacular as they extend out in the mid air. Some places the floor has some sort of grids and in some places windows. It sure makes for a stomach churning experiance. But its worth it.

Here you see a Utsiktsplatå from the Waterfall walk in Geiranger:

2014-07-13113512_zpsc44c0d3b.jpg

Edited by I-Cruiser

Lars, we are doing the drive to Oye via our rental car and your map. thank you so much for the detailed instructions.

We would like to do the Aksla Hill (418 steps) upon our return to town.

Is there parking at the top or the bottom of the stairs?

Would we be better going to the foot of the stairs, park our car there, and then walk up then back down...or... park at the top, walk down and then back up? and do you have an address you could give me for top or bottom that I could add to our google map?

Our car rental is Avis on Nedre Strandgate. Is that close? should we turn in the car and then walk to Aksla Hill?

As always..THANKS

Lars, we are doing the drive to Oye via our rental car and your map. thank you so much for the detailed instructions.

We would like to do the Aksla Hill (418 steps) upon our return to town.

Is there parking at the top or the bottom of the stairs?

Would we be better going to the foot of the stairs, park our car there, and then walk up then back down...or... park at the top, walk down and then back up? and do you have an address you could give me for top or bottom that I could add to our google map?

Our car rental is Avis on Nedre Strandgate. Is that close? should we turn in the car and then walk to Aksla Hill?

As always..THANKS

Anita - I would love to hear all about your trip to Øye. Please share when you return if you have the time.

There are parking at the top of Mt. Aksla or more accurately "Fjellstua" (You should put that name in your GPS) The parking at the viewpoint is free.

At the foot of the steps there is a parking house at Scandic Parken Hotel or you can park on the street (for a fee). But as in any town or city parking might be hard to come by.

You could return your car and then walk up/down the stairs but this is the most lengthy option as it means you will have to walk from the Avis office.

From the Avis office to the cruise terminal you will use approx. 10 minutes. From the cruise terminal to the base of the steps no more than 10 minutes (max)

If you decided to park at Fjellstua or at the base is a matter of preference. Form a scenic point of view its the same.

Parking at the top will be easier and for free:)

Edited by I-Cruiser

Hi Becky:)

You will need 30-40minutes comfortably walking down the stairs and back to the ship. By car no more then 10 minutes.

I would think all onboard is 1030 pm since you are leaving at 11pm.

The new improved stairs are opening today so I will check them out soon.

The sailing from Ålesund to Geiranger takes no more then 5 hrs (in effect) or if you drive the stretch 2 hrs.

You could do a planned "missed ship" (:D) and drive to Geiranger to pick up the ship the next day.

Geiranger is all about tourists so everything will be open even tho its a Sunday.

"Utsiktsplatåer" means viewing plateau/or platforms.

The viewplatforms at Trollstigen is really spectacular as they extend out in the mid air. Some places the floor has some sort of grids and in some places windows. It sure makes for a stomach churning experiance. But its worth it.

Here you see a Utsiktsplatå from the Waterfall walk in Geiranger:

2014-07-13113512_zpsc44c0d3b.jpg

Thanks Lars! I wasn't sure how close to sunset I would get. If I do it, I would probably stay until 9:45 pm. I love sunset picture and the way the light is at dusk but it's not worth the hastle of missing the ship even if it is only a 2 hour drive.

Thanks Lars! I wasn't sure how close to sunset I would get. If I do it, I would probably stay until 9:45 pm. I love sunset picture and the way the light is at dusk but it's not worth the hastle of missing the ship even if it is only a 2 hour drive.

9.45 pm/10 pm sounds reasonable and its a comfortable timeframe to get back to the ship.

The light in this area is spectacular so I am sure you will get some great shots.

It never really gets totally dark at night during the summer months....and of course the weather here can be very unpredictable.

Thank you for this thread Lars.

I have read the whole thing, and I think I have my plan for all of our ports next month. I wanted to rent a car in Alesund, but since we are there on a Sunday, and the rental by the pier is closed(and the one at the airport doesn't open until noon) I have booked the ships tour to the Troll Road and Wall.

Alesund LAND OF THE TROLLS Tour

Geiranger local bus to Dalsnibba Mountain, waterfall walk

Trondheim walk to Stiftsgarden, Nidarosdomen, Bakklandet, Solsiden

Leknes FULL DAY TOUR TO A

Tromso local buses to cable car, Tromso Museum, Polar museum, Ølhallen, Botanical Garden

Hammerfest FINNMARK PANORAMIC Tour

Honningsvag local bus to North Cape, Ice bar

Molde local bus to Atlantic road

Bergen Hop on bus to funicular, Bryggen, Hanseatic museum

I hope that this will give us a good overview of your country. I wanted some information on the Sami, so I've booked the tour in Hammerfest and planned to visit the Tromso Museum. The only thing that I really want to see, that I'm afraid that I won't, is wildlife. We do spend time out on deck looking for aquatic life, so hopefully will see some from the ship, but I would like to see wild Puffins too. I know that there are bird islands outside of Alesund and Honningsvag, but since we want to do the Troll Road and the North Cape, I don't see a way to add those in. Do you have any suggestions for me?

The team working on clearing the roads for snow will start Monday May 18 to clear the road up to the mountain.

The work is scheduled to take a few weeks.

Lars

We were on the Celebrity Eclipse last week and were in Alesund on Tuesday (May 12). We visited the Giske Church and Alnes Lighthouse, followed by a lovely walk through Alesund afterward. Other than a brief shower mid afternoon, we had beautiful weather - thanks for arranging for the sun to shine :)

We were also in Geiranger on May 13. We did take the Sky to Fjord bike trip, although it was on Eagle Bend road rather than the road to Mt. Dalsnibba, which as you advised was still closed due to snow.

Thank you so much for all you do on the forum. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit to Norway.

Anne