Can help with Ålesund & Norwegian Fjords:-)

I-Cruiser

From your beautiful photographs, it looks as though Alesund is in the same stage of spring as we are with the buds visible on the deciduous trees!

How did you get that photo of Dalsnibba? It looks like an aerial view? We are in Geiranger May 13 along with Harley57 on the Eclipse. We've booked the Dalsnibba bus tour/Fjord cruise combo, and plan on the Waterfall Walk first. Hopefully we'll have the advantage of using the SeaWalk rather than a tender.

From your beautiful photographs, it looks as though Alesund is in the same stage of spring as we are with the buds visible on the deciduous trees!

How did you get that photo of Dalsnibba? It looks like an aerial view? We are in Geiranger May 13 along with Harley57 on the Eclipse. We've booked the Dalsnibba bus tour/Fjord cruise combo, and plan on the Waterfall Walk first. Hopefully we'll have the advantage of using the SeaWalk rather than a tender.

The spring is coming along very slowly but surly. I love this time of the year. Its 21.25 now and the sun is just about to set.

Last year X/RC used the Seawalk so fingers crossed they will continue the same this year. It sure makes a huge difference getting on/off the ship.

I really wish I could tell you where I got the picture from :D:D....I believe ;) the picture was taken by a local checking out the level of snow at the lodge. For clearing purposes.

As you can see from the picture it isnt a lot of snow this year so I think its safe to say your tour will go ahead.

Are you in Norway May 17? May 17 is the Norwegian national/independence day.

Everything will be closed but all town/villages will be decorated, lots of music, children in parades. Lots of festivities. Memorable for sure.

Thank you Lars! We will be in Geiranger on May 13 (along with TMLalum). We plan to do the waterfall walk after the bike ride Our cruise ends May 16 in Southampton so unfortunately we will miss the May 17 Norwegian holiday although it sounds wonderful!

Edited by Harley57

Lars,

Loving the pictures you have been posting. So excited to for our cruise. We leave here in 3 weeks and 2 days.

I believe you are leaving for your cruise tomorrow, so wishing you smooth seas and great memories.

I gather that means you have not heard anything about whether the Troll Road will be opened in mid May? Is it a bad sign if you haven't heard anything yet, that it probably won't be opened at that time?

Lars,

Loving the pictures you have been posting. So excited to for our cruise. We leave here in 3 weeks and 2 days.

I believe you are leaving for your cruise tomorrow, so wishing you smooth seas and great memories.

I gather that means you have not heard anything about whether the Troll Road will be opened in mid May? Is it a bad sign if you haven't heard anything yet, that it probably won't be opened at that time?

Thank you very much. We are almost finished packing and ready for our 4 am wake up call:eek: It sure is going to be lovely going back to Italy again.

I have not heard anything official yet but I will try to check in from time to time to see if there are any updates in regards to the Trollroad.

I will be very much surprised if the road does not open beginning to mid May.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Lars,

I hope you're enjoying your Med Cruise! I won't expect to hear back from you right away for sure!!

You helped me some time ago with a question regarding driving from Alesund to Oye then back via the Leknes/Saebo ferry. I was told the last ferry would be at 3:00 so it is very important not to miss it in order to get back to ship in time. You gave me a link to the ferry schedule that now includes June. Can you take a look at this for me and tell me what the last ferry Leknes to Saebo is on Wednesday, June 24th? From how I am reading it, it looks like the last one is 2:15??

here's the link to schedule:

http://reise2.fjord1.no/Fjord1IISSta...r/t/15-134.htm

Thank you again!

I did find a rough-drawn map of Geiranger after I posted and it looks like the base of the waterfall walk is fairly close to where we'd catch the bus:

http://www.geirangerfjord.no/upload/images/Maps/TownMapChris.jpg.

Hoping that the Eclipse will be connected to the ship walkway instead of having to tender!

This link no longer works, does anybody have a current link to this map? I can't find anything like it myself

Thanks

What is the usual weather in Norway in May? Thanks.

Usually nice and sunny with temps ranging from 10C to 18C. It cools downs during the evening so I would pack something warm and dress in layers.

Hello Lars,

I hope you're enjoying your Med Cruise! I won't expect to hear back from you right away for sure!!

You helped me some time ago with a question regarding driving from Alesund to Oye then back via the Leknes/Saebo ferry. I was told the last ferry would be at 3:00 so it is very important not to miss it in order to get back to ship in time. You gave me a link to the ferry schedule that now includes June. Can you take a look at this for me and tell me what the last ferry Leknes to Saebo is on Wednesday, June 24th? From how I am reading it, it looks like the last one is 2:15??

here's the link to schedule:

http://reise2.fjord1.no/Fjord1IISSta...r/t/15-134.htm

Thank you again!

We arrived back home today from a really enjoyable cruise. Celebrity showed themselves from their good side this time;)

From Sæbø to Leknes there are departures at:

1245 - 1345 - 1445 1630 1700

Måndag = Monday

Fredag = Friday

Frå = From

Til - To

I could not open the link so posting a new one:

http://reise2.fjord1.no/Fjord1IISStaticTables/Tables/ruter/t/15-134_2_1.htm#

How is Alesund on a sunday ( we are there june 14) , everything in business like shops and museum ?

Sundays are quiet and only some souvenir shops will be open. Some of the museums like the Jugend Museum, the open air museum will be open.

Hi Lars,

I'm glad you made it back safely. Now time to recover so you can start planning your next.

Have you heard anything about when the Troll Road will be opened? I'm the one that will be there on May 20 and wondering if we will be able to get through or not. Thanks.

Hi Lars,

I'm glad you made it back safely. Now time to recover so you can start planning your next.

Have you heard anything about when the Troll Road will be opened? I'm the one that will be there on May 20 and wondering if we will be able to get through or not. Thanks.

Breakfast in Rome this morning and hot dogs for dinner in Norway just now..hmmm....I really need to start planning another:D

I have not heard anything. Its been very quiet regarding the opening of the roads this year.

I will check daily and update as soon as I get the info. I can not say for sure but I think the road will be open May 20.

We will be on the first Disney cruise sailing on June 6. We have booked all of our tours through them, but I know they will be operated by locals. Should we tip our tour guides, and if so, what would be an appropriate amount? What about the bus drivers or boat guides?

We will be on the first Disney cruise sailing on June 6. We have booked all of our tours through them, but I know they will be operated by locals. Should we tip our tour guides, and if so, what would be an appropriate amount? What about the bus drivers or boat guides?

You could tip as you would elsewhere if the guides and drivers have provided a service you are happy with.

The amount would depend on how satisfied you are and how long the tour was.

I never like to say an amount but in the NOK 50-100 region for both guide and driver would be appropriate.

Breakfast in Rome this morning and hot dogs for dinner in Norway just now..hmmm....I really need to start planning another:D

I have not heard anything. Its been very quiet regarding the opening of the roads this year.

I will check daily and update as soon as I get the info. I can not say for sure but I think the road will be open May 20.

Meals in both Rome and Norway in the same day is always something to make you smile. Travel is wonderful.

I'll continue to watch this thread for updates on the road. We will be leaving in a week and one day. (May 14). Probably won't be checking here anymore after that date...but yes, if you do hear something in this time frame, it would be great. And as always, thanks for all the help you give all of us on CC.

Lars, Any word on Trollstigen yet? I know you say that there is a good chance it will be opened May 20, but as I read so much online regarding past years, it paints it a lot more grim. But those are generally done by tourists vs people actually from Norway, so I'm holding out in hopes that you will be able to give an official word before we leave on Thursday. Still keeping my fingers crossed.

Lars, Any word on Trollstigen yet? I know you say that there is a good chance it will be opened May 20, but as I read so much online regarding past years, it paints it a lot more grim. But those are generally done by tourists vs people actually from Norway, so I'm holding out in hopes that you will be able to give an official word before we leave on Thursday. Still keeping my fingers crossed.

Have a safe wonderful trip! I hope it will be open for you.

We leave in a about a month. Please let us know how everything went...