Can help with Ålesund & Norwegian Fjords:-)

I-Cruiser

I'm sure the answer to this is somewhere on CC but I'm wanting to know if it is best to drive up or down Troll Path from Alesund (we are in port from 8AM - 5 PM) and do we have enough time to drive this route and enjoy it?

I've prepared maps for the round trip drive but no sure which direction to head out.

Thank you for all you wonderful help on these boards.

Thank you for your kind words - very much appreciated:)

I always think its most stunning and dramatic to drive down the Trollstigen.

The experiance and nature seems so much richer driving from the plateau to the valley.

You will have enough time to do the drive with stops.

Since you already have compiled maps I would suggest you drive to Sjøholt, Stordal over the mountain to Valldal and up to Trollstigen.

You can back track but you can also do a circle drive and head towards Åndalsnes, Vestnes over the mountain to Sjøholt and back out to Ålesund.

The advantage of doing a circle is that you get to see more nature, fjords and of course you do not repeat the road.

My back tracking you get to do the itinerary more in depth.

Lars, No, I haven't tried to book a car. I thought i read earlier in this thread that someone said they were told it was no cancellation, but I could be brain dead from reading all the way back from the beginning, so it is very possible I am in error. I will keep checking this thread for all the wonderful information you give as well as hoping you get details about this road. Thanks again.

Avis and Budget at within walking distance from the port. Maybe a 5-10 minute walk.

I did try to make a faux booking and the "terms & conditions" stated 24 hrs free cancelation.:)

Thank you, Lars. Actually, I did go ahead and make a booking since I too saw that I had 24 hours to cancel and you should be able to report if our road will be closed or not before we get to our ship, right?

We booked with Budget since it was quite a bit cheaper than Avis, but earlier in this thread, someone said that they thought Budget charged for milage. I didn't see that glaring out there. Is there any truth to that?

Thank you, Lars. Actually, I did go ahead and make a booking since I too saw that I had 24 hours to cancel and you should be able to report if our road will be closed or not before we get to our ship, right?

We booked with Budget since it was quite a bit cheaper than Avis, but earlier in this thread, someone said that they thought Budget charged for milage. I didn't see that glaring out there. Is there any truth to that?

I am not to familiar with the particulars of the various car rental agencies I thought I just read that Budget has a 3 days cancelation policy and a NOK 200 cancelation/penalty charge.

But, maybe there are various policies if you book in the US opposed to Norway??

You should re-check just in case.

Like previous years I would now sometime in April when the tourist road(s) will open.

Hi there,

I also had a car booked with Budget in Ålesund, but canceled and switched over to Avis. I discovered this little disclaimer

0125 free kilometers

1.00 NKR/additional kilometer

Thanks for renting from Budget. Have a pleasant trip!

in my confirmation e-mail. It is right below the rental price.

I checked the Avis invoice and they actually state unlimited km's for the same rental price.

Hope this helps

Regards

Petra

Lars and Ssislandgirl, Thank you both so much. It's hidden in fine print but yes, you are right, there is a 125 km only free mileage on Budget, so doubt that would get us very far. So I just canceled and have gone with Avis that really does appear to be free mileage. AND the rates dropped since I had compared Budget and Avis, so they are both very close in price now anyway. And Lars, if they charge me to cancel, oh well. It still will be less than what they would have sucked out of us for extra mileage. Cruise Critic people are amazing to help us from making dumb mistakes. Thanks for all you do, Lars and thank you for making me look closer, Ssislandgirl.

Lars and Ssislandgirl, Thank you both so much. It's hidden in fine print but yes, you are right, there is a 125 km only free mileage on Budget, so doubt that would get us very far. So I just canceled and have gone with Avis that really does appear to be free mileage. AND the rates dropped since I had compared Budget and Avis, so they are both very close in price now anyway. And Lars, if they charge me to cancel, oh well. It still will be less than what they would have sucked out of us for extra mileage. Cruise Critic people are amazing to help us from making dumb mistakes. Thanks for all you do, Lars and thank you for making me look closer, Ssislandgirl.

You`re welcome:)

So right, 125 km would not get you very far. You would end up paying the return fare in extra km.

Lars:)

Hi Lars. First of all, thank you very much for the time you spent on this board helping others. It's much appreciated. Below are the Norway ports from my itinerary on the Caribbean Princess.

Stavanger, Norway Sun, 06/14/15 7:00am - 4:00pm

Olden, Norway Mon, 06/15/15 9:00am - 6:00pm

Flaam, Norway Tue, 06/16/15 9:00am - 6:00pm

Andalsnes, Norway Wed, 06/17/15 10:00am - 7:00pm

Trondheim, Norway Thu, 06/18/15 9:00am - 6:00pm

Honningsvag (north Cape), Norway Sat, 06/20/15 8:00am - 9:00pm

Tromso, Norway Sun, 06/21/15 9:00am - 6:00pm

Gravdal (lofoten Islands), Norway Mon, 06/22/15 9:00am - 6:00pm

Aalesund, Norway Wed, 06/24/15 8:00am - 5:00pm

Bergen, Norway Thu, 06/25/15 7:00am - 2:00pm

Missing from this itinerary is Geiranger. Since Norway is very far from California, I have to plan this trip as if it'll be my only trip to Norway. A Norway trip does not feel complete without going to Geiranger. Based on the maps Geiranger is located right in the middle of the Olden-Alesund-Andalsnes triangle. Which option below do you recommend for visiting Geiranger?

A. Olden port day- Only route without having to take ferry. But will not be able to visit the Briksdal glacier. Will I able to see the fjords and lakes scenery along the drive to Geiranger. Car rentals in Olden seems more limited and pricier.

B. Andalsnes port day - I read here that its possible to drive Road 63 roundtrip there, but seems like it will be very rushed for both Troll Wall and Geiranger?

C. Alesund port day - This seems to be the longest drive to Geiranger? I also need some time to take pictures at top of Mt Aksla. Also, the trip to Hotel Union Oye mentioned on this thread sounds very enticing. Therefore, unless you tell me otherwise, I'm leaning against going to Geiranger during this port.

D. Andalsnes side trip - From Andalsnes, take my time with Troll Wall and Geiranger all day and even take the scenic route back. Find a hotel in Andalsnes for the night. Take the train to catch up with the ship at Trondheim the next day. I believe there is a train that departs Andalsnes at 9am and arrives at Trondheim at 2:30pm. This will still leave me couple hours to walk around Trondheim. The first 1/3 of the 5-hour train ride is from Andalsnes to Dombas on the very scenic Rauma Rail, do you know about the other 2/3 of the train ride? However, this option is costly and risky to deviate from the ship.

E. Geiranger is over-rated, there's already plenty of great fjord scenery on itinerary. It's okay to just skip it.

Edited by OceanPrince

Hi Lars. First of all, thank you very much for the time you spent on this board helping others. It's much appreciated. Below are the Norway ports from my itinerary on the Caribbean Princess.

Stavanger, Norway Sun, 06/14/15 7:00am - 4:00pm

Olden, Norway Mon, 06/15/15 9:00am - 6:00pm

Flaam, Norway Tue, 06/16/15 9:00am - 6:00pm

Andalsnes, Norway Wed, 06/17/15 10:00am - 7:00pm

Trondheim, Norway Thu, 06/18/15 9:00am - 6:00pm

Honningsvag (north Cape), Norway Sat, 06/20/15 8:00am - 9:00pm

Tromso, Norway Sun, 06/21/15 9:00am - 6:00pm

Gravdal (lofoten Islands), Norway Mon, 06/22/15 9:00am - 6:00pm

Aalesund, Norway Wed, 06/24/15 8:00am - 5:00pm

Bergen, Norway Thu, 06/25/15 7:00am - 2:00pm

Missing from this itinerary is Geiranger. Since Norway is very far from California, I have to plan this trip as if it'll be my only trip to Norway. A Norway trip does not feel complete without going to Geiranger. Based on the maps Geiranger is located right in the middle of the Olden-Alesund-Andalsnes triangle. Which option below do you recommend for visiting Geiranger?

A. Olden port day- Only route without having to take ferry. But will not be able to visit the Briksdal glacier. Will I able to see the fjords and lakes scenery along the drive to Geiranger. Car rentals in Olden seems more limited and pricier.

B. Andalsnes port day - I read here that its possible to drive Road 63 roundtrip there, but seems like it will be very rushed for both Troll Wall and Geiranger?

C. Alesund port day - This seems to be the longest drive to Geiranger? I also need some time to take pictures at top of Mt Aksla. Also, the trip to Hotel Union Oye mentioned on this thread sounds very enticing. Therefore, unless you tell me otherwise, I'm leaning against going to Geiranger during this port.

D. Andalsnes side trip - From Andalsnes, take my time with Troll Wall and Geiranger all day and even take the scenic route back. Find a hotel in Andalsnes for the night. Take the train to catch up with the ship at Trondheim the next day. I believe there is a train that departs Andalsnes at 9am and arrives at Trondheim at 2:30pm. This will still leave me couple hours to walk around Trondheim. The first 1/3 of the 5-hour train ride is from Andalsnes to Dombas on the very scenic Rauma Rail, do you know about the other 2/3 of the train ride? However, this option is costly and risky to deviate from the ship.

E. Geiranger is over-rated, there's already plenty of great fjord scenery on itinerary. It's okay to just skip it.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=45907336#post45907336 Roll Call!

Edited by letsgo39

For you it would be easiest to do Geiranger from Åndalnses.

Route etc has been posted a few pages back om this thread.

Happy planning.

Lars

Just to clarify.

Your option "D" is very adventurous. You get to do what you want at a leisurely pace.

I have not taken the train from Dombås to Trondheim. I did drive the stretch in the winter so not a good reference.

The train will of course travel inland and over the mountains. It will be as close as you will get to the Norwegian highland. Different nature then what you will experiance in the fjords.

If you want to do Geiranger from Ålesund you will have to skip Øye/Hjørundfjord as you will not have time to do both.

Thanks Letsgo. I have actually been reading/skimming through 40+ pages of our roll call and 40+ pages of this thread for the past 3 weeks since I booked the cruise. Just figured that Lars probably knows more about this area so I started with him.

Edited by OceanPrince

Thanks Lars for your input. Is there a reason why getting to Geiranger from Andalsnes is better than from Olden? Figured its same distance but no ferry would be a huge factory. The concept of driving a car onto a boat is foreign to me and I'm not in control of time.

I think I will lean toward option B from Andalsnes. If the car breaks down or return ferry breaks down, I use option D as backup plan.

Edited by OceanPrince

Thanks Letsgo. I have actually been reading/skimming through 40+ pages of our roll call and 40+ pages of this thread for the past 3 weeks since I booked the cruise. Just figured that Lars probably knows more about this area so I started with him.

Good choice ;):D:D

Thanks Lars for your input. Is there a reason why getting to Geiranger from Andalsnes is better than from Olden? Figured its same distance but no ferry would be a huge factory. The concept of driving a car onto a boat is foreign to me and I'm not in control of time.

I think I will lean toward option B from Andalsnes. If the car breaks down or return ferry breaks down, I use option D as backup plan.

Well, I should have told you the ferry over the fjord only takes 10-15 minutes.

You line up - pay the guys doing the ticket thing - drive onboard - enjoy the scenery - drive off. Very easy.

There are always 2 ferries running and one in back up.

Driving from Olden to Geiranger will take you over 3 hrs one way. I am not sure you will have that much time in port.

Driving from Åndalsnes is just that more easy and straight forward.

Head straight for Geiranger and on the way back if you have time stop at the Troll Wall.

Quick question. not sure if it has been discussed.

Does the Stalheim Viewpoint bus tour cross or have the same views while taking the Flam train from Flam?

https://booking.visitflam.com/en/to-do/a677380/stalheim-viewpoint/showdetailsmapinfo?filter=d%3D20140903

I am not 100% sure about the bus tour but, both the bus and train follow the same route through the valley.

Hi Lars, Me again. Are there any places to eat along the Troll Road that you would recommend in particular? Will it be hard finding food around lunch time?

And regarding the time frame they will open the road....does the amount of snow you get each year have any bearing on that? Did you have more or less snow than usual this year?

Hi Lars, Me again. Are there any places to eat along the Troll Road that you would recommend in particular? Will it be hard finding food around lunch time?

And regarding the time frame they will open the road....does the amount of snow you get each year have any bearing on that? Did you have more or less snow than usual this year?

Hi again:) Yes, the amount of snow plays a huge part in when they will start to clear the road for the season.

Were I am the winter has been very mild with hardy any snow. Almost like 5 months with autumn.

In the mountains there has been lots of snow as usual. Not more than usual but the normal. Honestly I would be very surprised if the Trollstigen does not open before mid May.

If the vendors are selling berries (raspberries - strawberries) along the road in Valldal you must stop and purchase some. They are the best produce you can get.

There are some places to eat. Most of them cater to tourists so dont faint if you have to pay $30 for a bad burger.:D..oh, how I wish I was kidding.

You will find places to eat at Gudbrandsjuvet, at the Trollstigen plateau and at the Troll wall mountain (if you make a detour there)

Also in Åndalsnes there are some places to eat but dont expect much.

I would suggest you go to a grocery store and buy som bread/rolls. Some smoked salmon or ham or why not try so dried and curred meat (Its very Norwegian) You should look/ask for: Fenalår, Mør, Spekeskinke.

You might want to try the Norwegian brown goat cheese.

Maybe pick up a few fresh shrimps and eat them on white bread with mayonnaise and lemon.

Well, what I am trying to say it that doing a picnic in the nature is far better then the stuff they serve in the restaurants/cafes.

However, if you decide to eat at a restaurant ask for: Rømmegrøt (sour cream porridge) or spekemat tallerken (a plate with dried and cured meat).

Its all tasty.

Do not try the no. 1 national dish in Norway, Taco!!:eek:...Now, thats just plain bad:D

My question is regarding Trollstigen. We will be in Alesund in July and our port times are 10AM to 7PM. Is this enough time to drive the Troll Rd? I thought I had read that it is about 6 hours round trip from Alesund, which cuts it close to be sure to be back at the ship with time to spare. Not sure how quickly we could get into a rental car upon disembarkation. Would this be putting it too close?

I should add that we have a rental car reserved in Gerainger to drive to Dalsnibba.

Thanks so much for your thoughts.

Joan

Edited by pmjnh

My question is regarding Trollstigen. We will be in Alesund in July and our port times are 10AM to 7PM. Is this enough time to drive the Troll Rd? I thought I had read that it is about 6 hours round trip from Alesund, which cuts it close to be sure to be back at the ship with time to spare. Not sure how quickly we could get into a rental car upon disembarkation. Would this be putting it too close?

I should add that we have a rental car reserved in Gerainger to drive to Dalsnibba.

Thanks so much for your thoughts.

Joan

Joan - Should be able to make it.

Let say you get your car sorted by 11 am (probably sooner if you get off at 10 am. You might want to ask if the car agency can deliver the car to the port) Driving to Trollstigen will take you 2hrs one way.

You can do most of the photostops when driving to Trollstigen then back track straight to Ålesund.

You might want to use 1 hr for photostops along the way. If you want to drive down and up the Trollstigen add a total of 40 minutes and another 20 minutes at the plateau. You can also drive parts of the Trollstigen. It is possible - driving conditions permitting and traffic - to make a u-turn just after the waterfall and bridge which is located approx. half way down the Trollstigen.

You will use a total of 5-6hrs. But you can eliminate driving the Trollstigen itself and shorten the photostops.

My calculations are for a very comfortable drive.

You can make it back to Ålesund by 5pm - 6pm with comfort.

Hi again:) Yes, the amount of snow plays a huge part in when they will start to clear the road for the season.

Were I am the winter has been very mild with hardy any snow. Almost like 5 months with autumn.

In the mountains there has been lots of snow as usual. Not more than usual but the normal. Honestly I would be very surprised if the Trollstigen does not open before mid May.

If the vendors are selling berries (raspberries - strawberries) along the road in Valldal you must stop and purchase some. They are the best produce you can get.

There are some places to eat. Most of them cater to tourists so dont faint if you have to pay $30 for a bad burger.:D..oh, how I wish I was kidding.

You will find places to eat at Gudbrandsjuvet, at the Trollstigen plateau and at the Troll wall mountain (if you make a detour there)

Also in Åndalsnes there are some places to eat but dont expect much.

I would suggest you go to a grocery store and buy som bread/rolls. Some smoked salmon or ham or why not try so dried and curred meat (Its very Norwegian) You should look/ask for: Fenalår, Mør, Spekeskinke.

You might want to try the Norwegian brown goat cheese.

Maybe pick up a few fresh shrimps and eat them on white bread with mayonnaise and lemon.

Well, what I am trying to say it that doing a picnic in the nature is far better then the stuff they serve in the restaurants/cafes.

However, if you decide to eat at a restaurant ask for: Rømmegrøt (sour cream porridge) or spekemat tallerken (a plate with dried and cured meat).

Its all tasty.

Do not try the no. 1 national dish in Norway, Taco!!:eek:...Now, thats just plain bad:D

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!! We will definitely keep our eyes opened for the fresh fruit and we LOVE your idea of the picnic. You have given us plenty to work with now and even a fun grocery list, so THANK YOU! This is all so exciting. What you do here is so very appreciated by so many of us. You are a wealth of information.

Joan - Should be able to make it.

Let say you get your car sorted by 11 am (probably sooner if you get off at 10 am. You might want to ask if the car agency can deliver the car to the port) Driving to Trollstigen will take you 2hrs one way.

You can do most of the photostops when driving to Trollstigen then back track straight to Ålesund.

You might want to use 1 hr for photostops along the way. If you want to drive down and up the Trollstigen add a total of 40 minutes and another 20 minutes at the plateau. You can also drive parts of the Trollstigen. It is possible - driving conditions permitting and traffic - to make a u-turn just after the waterfall and bridge which is located approx. half way down the Trollstigen.

You will use a total of 5-6hrs. But you can eliminate driving the Trollstigen itself and shorten the photostops.

My calculations are for a very comfortable drive.

You can make it back to Ålesund by 5pm - 6pm with comfort.

Thank you so much for your insights. We will take all of this into consideration.

We are renting a car in 3 Norwegian ports so far. Granger, Molde and Honningsvag. Maybe we will include this one as well.

I love your response to Cathy below about going to the grocery store and the food suggestions. :)

Joan

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!! We will definitely keep our eyes opened for the fresh fruit and we LOVE your idea of the picnic. You have given us plenty to work with now and even a fun grocery list, so THANK YOU! This is all so exciting. What you do here is so very appreciated by so many of us. You are a wealth of information.

Thank you! I really appreciate your kind words. It makes it all worth while.

Dotted along the route there will be picnic places with a tables and benches.

If they are all occupied bring a blanket from the ship to sit on:)

If you need grocery stores there are many on the street en route the car rental agency.

There will of course be others along the way but as further away from town the more expensive they get.

If you stop at the grocery store "Spar" in Valldal they have lots of local produce (dried cured ham) (Tind is my favorite). The shop also have fresh warm bread and a lovely deli counter with warm dishes.

Have fun plotting and planning:)

Lars

Thank you so much for your insights. We will take all of this into consideration.

We are renting a car in 3 Norwegian ports so far. Granger, Molde and Honningsvag. Maybe we will include this one as well.

I love your response to Cathy below about going to the grocery store and the food suggestions. :)

Joan

Joan - Happy to help:)

As you know renting a car is far more inexpensive then taking a ships tour.