Can help with Ålesund & Norwegian Fjords:-)

I-Cruiser

Hi Ann,

We should just follow each other around because this is our plan too! LOL

It's going to KILL my husband to be on a strict timetable though due to his obsessive picture taking. 4 months from yesterday by the way!

LOL! We could probably have saved a lot of money and shared a car!! Or several cars as I think we are doing the same drive in 3 different places! But it will be fun to race and catch up at the stops! We can't wait!:D

HI LARS:

DO you know how far the piers are from the following ports and if there are free shuttles from the pier to the town?

Stavanger

Bergen

Geirnger

Molde

Also how far is the Panorama bus in Geiranger and the cost.

Thanks for all your help. i really appreciate it. iris

Hi,

We visited Stavanger and Molde on a cruise last year.

Stavanger

In this video, you can see the ship docked at 0:45 mark. I take a walk through the town. The port is very convenient.

[YOUTUBE]dRDUqJHtakw[/YOUTUBE]

We took a Rodne cruise, sailing to a nearby Lysefjord.

[YOUTUBE]Zhkc6vo1kZI[/YOUTUBE]

Blog link

http://guitar123foodandtravel.blogspot.sg/2014/08/adventure-of-seas-day-12-sailing-into.html

Iris - if you see further down the page a map is posted of Geiranger.

There it will show where the panorama bus pick you up.

Stavanger - in town

Bergen - 10 minute walk

Geiranger - Tender service or floating dock. Panorama bus is just across the street from the tender landing.

Molde - in town.

I doubt there are free shuttles. This is up to your cruise line.

We visited Molde. Again, the port location was very convenient, in town.

Some videos - Adventure of the Seas docked in Molde.

[YOUTUBE]anTRZX7xc4k[/YOUTUBE]

Molde City Center - it was a small place.

[YOUTUBE]D8VYb267HE8[/YOUTUBE]

LOL! We could probably have saved a lot of money and shared a car!! Or several cars as I think we are doing the same drive in 3 different places! But it will be fun to race and catch up at the stops! We can't wait!:D

Or we can exchange phone numbers in case of our cars breaks down! What route did you settle on for andalsnes to gieranger? I haven't got the details ironed out yet but I want to try to go back a different way if possible. I think I saw something in this string somewhere from Lars.

Or we can exchange phone numbers in case of our cars breaks down! What route did you settle on for andalsnes to gieranger? I haven't got the details ironed out yet but I want to try to go back a different way if possible. I think I saw something in this string somewhere from Lars.

Well Lars said that the drive from Gerianger to Andalsnes is the most dramatic, so what I'd "like" to do is

Take 136 out of Andalasnes and drive that way round to G. Then drive the 63 back to experience the Troll Rd. But looking at it in detail, I really don't know if there will be time to do that with any enjoyment.

Google maps show 2 hrs 45 to G from A this way, add 30 mins for ferry and that's 3hrs 15. Fast walk along the waterfall walk and buy some chocs from chocolate shop and that's at least another hour. The drive back is another 2hrs 30 plus 30 for ferry. That's 7hrs 15 mins and that's without stopping for all the photos! We are in port for 9 hours but with getting on and off and collecting and returning the car, that takes it down to a maximum of 8hrs and that's if it all goes smoothly. So, I think in reality we will probably drive the Troll rd to Vallena (or whatever its called!), have a stroll round there and drive back the way we came. That way we can see the road from both ways and stop as many times as we want to take pictures. I want to walk up the steps to the view point at the Troll wall as well and that will probably take at least 30 mins.

:eek:

Have I got that about right Lars?

Hello again Lars

Do the ferries run in the early evening and is there a link to the schedules? We are in andalsnes from 10 to 7 and plan to drive to Geiranger.

Thank you again.

Hello :)

The ferries run up to 23:00. There are 2 ferries and the transfer time is 10-15 minutes.

Here is the ferry schedule. It runs up to April but the schedule will remain the same. If there are changes it will be to include more departures.

http://reise2.fjord1.no/Fjord1IISStaticTables/Tables/ruter/t/15-251.htm

Translations:

Måndag-Fredag = Monday - Friday

Laurdag = Saturday

Søndag = Sunday

Frå = From

Til = To

Well Lars said that the drive from Gerianger to Andalsnes is the most dramatic, so what I'd "like" to do is

Take 136 out of Andalasnes and drive that way round to G. Then drive the 63 back to experience the Troll Rd. But looking at it in detail, I really don't know if there will be time to do that with any enjoyment.

Google maps show 2 hrs 45 to G from A this way, add 30 mins for ferry and that's 3hrs 15. Fast walk along the waterfall walk and buy some chocs from chocolate shop and that's at least another hour. The drive back is another 2hrs 30 plus 30 for ferry. That's 7hrs 15 mins and that's without stopping for all the photos! We are in port for 9 hours but with getting on and off and collecting and returning the car, that takes it down to a maximum of 8hrs and that's if it all goes smoothly. So, I think in reality we will probably drive the Troll rd to Vallena (or whatever its called!), have a stroll round there and drive back the way we came. That way we can see the road from both ways and stop as many times as we want to take pictures. I want to walk up the steps to the view point at the Troll wall as well and that will probably take at least 30 mins.

:eek:

Have I got that about right Lars?

Thats about right:)

You might be able to shave off 30 minutes to the drive because of the opening of a new bridge at Romsdalsfjord. (Not sure if its open yet)

The ferry is only 10-15 minutes each way (30 total).

So you could end up with 1 hr more then in your calculations.

You will have more time and be able to enjoy more by driving from Åndalsnes up the Trollstigen to Valldal and Geiranger. Then do the same in reverse.

When I travel I rather do less but experiance more than rushing through everything and miss most of it in the process.

To be honest; Driving Romsdalsfjord is very nice with lots of beautiful nature but it will not be a wow experience.

Edited by I-Cruiser

In our day in Alesund, we got a rental car and drove to Trollstigen and back. Coming back from Trollstigen, we went via Romsdalsfjord. Very scenic.

Blog post -

http://guitar123foodandtravel.blogspot.sg/2014/07/adventure-of-seas-day-9-alesund-part-1.html

A video, Trollstigen viewpoints

[YOUTUBE]6-jH-50ISTs[/YOUTUBE]

On the way to Trollstigen, we stop at Valldall for a break.

[YOUTUBE]S4EDlofJrOE[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by Iluvcruising2

Thats about right:)

You might be able to shave off 30 minutes to the drive because of the opening of a new bridge at Romsdalsfjord. (Not sure if its open yet)

The ferry is only 10-15 minutes each way (30 total).

So you could end up with 1 hr more then in your calculations.

You will have more time and be able to enjoy more by driving from Åndalsnes up the Trollstigen to Valldal and Geiranger. Then do the same in reverse.

When I travel I rather do less but experiance more than rushing through everything and miss most of it in the process.

To be honest; Driving Romsdalsfjord is very nice with lots of beautiful nature but it will not be a wow experience.

Hi Lars,

So going this way to Geiranger there is only one ferry (each way)? Is that the schedule you posted a few posts ago? I really want to see Geiranger(fjord).

Thank you again.

Hi Lars,

So going this way to Geiranger there is only one ferry (each way)? Is that the schedule you posted a few posts ago? I really want to see Geiranger(fjord).

Thank you again.

Yes, only one ferry. And yes, its the itinerary I posted a while ago. Going from Åndalsnes.

Hi Lars,

Thank you again.

I just answered my own question. The schedule is for the ferry at Valldal! Just exactly what I was looking for. As usual you came through Lars! Thank you!

Ann There's a nifty little website called rome2rio.com that has amazing directions! Based on that website, from Andalsnes to Geiranger should only take no more than two hours. Does that sound right Lars?

Here's the link to Rome2Rio valldal to Geiranger

http://www.rome2rio.com/s/Valldal/Geiranger

I just answered my own question. The schedule is for the ferry at Valldal! Just exactly what I was looking for. As usual you came through Lars! Thank you!

Ann There's a nifty little website called rome2rio.com that has amazing directions! Based on that website, from Andalsnes to Geiranger should only take no more than two hours. Does that sound right Lars?

This is a very nifty website. Thank you for posting the link.:)

2 hrs are right including ferry and a few stops along the way.

The ferry is actually from Linge (a few minutes drive from Valldal)

There is also a ferry pier in Valldal but thats for a "tourist ferry" to Geiranger. As pr now it is not operating this year.

So do not queue up there:) but follow sign to Linge.

Linge is only a ferry pier and is at your left side coming from Valldal.

Follow the signage carefully as you might have to queue for the ferry on the main road.

This is a very nifty website. Thank you for posting the link.:)

2 hrs are right including ferry and a few stops along the way.

The ferry is actually from Linge (a few minutes drive from Valldal)

There is also a ferry pier in Valldal but thats for a "tourist ferry" to Geiranger. As pr now it is not operating this year.

So do not queue up there:) but follow sign to Linge.

Linge is only a ferry pier and is at your left side coming from Valldal.

Follow the signage carefully as you might have to queue for the ferry on the main road.

tHANK YOU! I just cut and pasted those instructions right into my itinerary and saved the link to the schedule.

Yes I love that website. It's pretty amazing.

tHANK YOU! I just cut and pasted those instructions right into my itinerary and saved the link to the schedule.

Yes I love that website. It's pretty amazing.

Lars - Does that route go through "Eagle Road"?

I can't quite figure out where that is but I keep hearing/reading that it's spectacular!

Lars - Does that route go through "Eagle Road"?

I can't quite figure out where that is but I keep hearing/reading that it's spectacular!

Yes, coming from Eidsdal over the mountain to Geiranger the Eagle Road starts at the descend to the Geirangerfjord.

Its the only road to Geiranger coming from Eidsdal so you will not miss it.

At the first curve you have a great viewing platform.

Here is a picture taken from the viewpoint. This was taken in September

2012-09-29154913_zps9a2a8264.jpg

Yes, coming from Eidsdal over the mountain to Geiranger the Eagle Road starts at the descend to the Geirangerfjord.

Its the only road to Geiranger coming from Eidsdal so you will not miss it.

At the first curve you have a great viewing platform.

Here is a picture taken from the viewpoint. This was taken in September

2012-09-29154913_zps9a2a8264.jpg

OOOOOHHH Beautiful

You must stop for a photo at this lake. You will drive pass it as you come up the mountain from Eidsdal.

(We often rent a log cabin by this lake. Its really peaceful)

2014-07-13104739_zps44332647.jpg

Here you see the valley down to Eidsdal with the fjord and ferry to Linge.eidsdal_zps285d9522.jpg

Edited by I-Cruiser

That sounds better then. Use the same route both ways so that we are not rushing. I would like to do the waterfall walk in G. It looks lovely.

Oh and yes, definitely lets swop numbers in case of problems.

You must stop for a photo at this lake. You will drive pass it as you come up the mountain from Eidsdal.

(We often rent a log cabin by this lake. Its really peaceful)

2014-07-13104739_zps44332647.jpg

Here you see the valley down to Eidsdal with the fjord and ferry to Linge.eidsdal_zps285d9522.jpg

That lake looks like somewhere my husband will want to take pics for hours!! Might not tell him about it!! ha ha Just kidding. it looks very beautiful and will be sure to stop there. Thank you

That sounds better then. Use the same route both ways so that we are not rushing. I would like to do the waterfall walk in G. It looks lovely.

Oh and yes, definitely lets swop numbers in case of problems.

The waterfall sounds good!

Lars - How's the cell phone service in that neck of the woods?

The waterfall sounds good!

Lars - How's the cell phone service in that neck of the woods?

The mobile network is very well built out in Norway so you should have full coverage.

I have never had bad coverage in the route you are planning.