Can help with Ålesund & Norwegian Fjords:-)

I-Cruiser

Our daughter and son-in-law are looking at Kayaking in Geiranger whilst there in June. They have asked me to see if anyone knows how to get from the docks, (we are using the Sea Walk).

I see on TripAdvisor that a place called Grande is mentioned but can't find how far it is to get there?

Needless to say they are not taking the ships version of this event.

Thanks in advance.

Grande is located at the bottom of the Eagle Rd.

Grande is a 20 minute walk from the village or they can take a taxi in 5 minutes.

However, if they are using "Active Geiranger" the company pick their customers up in the village and takes them to Grande.

This is from their website:

"..Arriving Geiranger by cruise ship or need transport from other residency in Geiranger?

Meeting point:

We can meet you at the port / tourist information and transport you to our activity centre by boat or bus depanding on number of persons.

The driver or guide will meet you personal. Please bring your booking information if possible. Paper or information by any device is valid. If you forget we will bring overview of the bookings for your conviencey.

Make the request:

If you have a guided activity this service is free of charge. If you are individual a charge for pickup will be NOK 150.- one way.

Please note your ship name or residency when you do the transport booking.

Transport service:

Transport from port to our activity centre only takes 5 minutes and we will make sure that you will be back on time before your ship leaves Geiranger. Welcome to a special and individual adventure in Geiranger!

Active Geiranger

Phone: +47 70263068

E-mail: office@activegeiranger.no....."

The website:

http://www.activegeiranger.no/

There is also a kayak rental place in the village itself but I can not guarantee how good they are.

Unfortunately there is only this one bus going to Mt. Dalsnibba.

The electric cars or emobility cars are a brand new offering for this summer. Actually, they arrived in Geiranger May 10.

You have to drive the car yourself.

There are guided routes installed in the cars and you get by with the help of GPS audio guides.

One type of cars also offers VIP guide. Which means you get a private guide....

The cars comes as a 2 seater and a 3 seater.

Their website is under construction and so far only contains pictures and some text in Norwegian.

All press and test drives gives the offering rave reviews.

I cant wait to test this myself.

Do you know what the waterfall walk is they refer to? I thought at first it was the one you can walk behind, but some of the tours are only an hour, and it doesn't seem possible to do that hike plus the other stops listed.

Do you know what the waterfall walk is they refer to? I thought at first it was the one you can walk behind, but some of the tours are only an hour, and it doesn't seem possible to do that hike plus the other stops listed.

The waterfall you can walk behind is called Storseterfossen and is reached fro the Westerås farm.

The waterfall walk is closer to the village.

You can start the walk by Union Hotel or the Fjord center.

To walk up to the "start" of the waterfall walk will take you less then 20 minutes. Walking down to fjord level approx. the same plus extra time for stops.

The walk itself is a set of 327 steps. It contains a mix of path, steps and platforms.

Its well worth to do.

2014-07-13112335_zps7323a901.jpg

2014-07-13112822_zps6ada6a92.jpg

2014-07-13113300_zps3b569e71.jpg

2014-07-13113512_zpsc44c0d3b.jpg

2014-07-13113711_zps122e9ee5.jpg

Edited by I-Cruiser

Thanks for clarification on the waterfalls. We wanted to do the hike to Storseterfossen from Westeras, weather dependent. Also wanted to go to Dalsnibba and do waterfall walk. Had originally planned to taxi to Westeras for hike in morning and bus to Dalsnibba in afternoon. But now that bus is sold out, I'm wondering if a car rental is my best option.

Thanks for clarification on the waterfalls. We wanted to do the hike to Storseterfossen from Westeras, weather dependent. Also wanted to go to Dalsnibba and do waterfall walk. Had originally planned to taxi to Westeras for hike in morning and bus to Dalsnibba in afternoon. But now that bus is sold out, I'm wondering if a car rental is my best option.

Taxi to Westerås is a good idea. The walk to Storseterfossen will take 1 hr each way.

You can chance it and check at the tourist information if there are available seats.

Or, indeed, email them and ask for available seats.

Renting a car is always a great idea as you stand more freely to move as you please.

Hertz have cars in Geiranger. I believe they are rented out via Geiranger Fjord Service.

Of course you could rent the new emobility cars I mentioned a few posts ago.

Question about our port stop in Alesund. How much time should we allow to climb the 418 steps up to the viewpoint, have a look around, and descend back down? I'd like to also do the walking tour that starts at noon, but don't know whether to do the steps before or after. We don't arrive until 9:30 and leave at 5:45. Thank you.

Question about our port stop in Alesund. How much time should we allow to climb the 418 steps up to the viewpoint, have a look around, and descend back down? I'd like to also do the walking tour that starts at noon, but don't know whether to do the steps before or after. We don't arrive until 9:30 and leave at 5:45. Thank you.

To Fjellstua viewpoint I would suggest you use 30-40 minutes each way to/from the foot of the steps/city park.

From the pier to the city park another 10 minutes.

This way you get to take in the views and enjoy the tour.

10-15 minutes at the viewpoint is enough to take in the vistas.

Lars,

Just wanted to check in with you. We returned from our cruise late last night. We enjoyed our time in Alesund, but sadly, it was an extremely rainy and foggy day when we got there. We did still use the rental car to take the Troll Road, so we did make it all the way around, but sadly, could see very little. The few glimpses we did get, you could tell this place is beautiful. When we got to the Troll Wall, you couldn't see a thing. The fog was THAT bad. I've seen pictures, so I know what it was SUPPOSE to be like. I did want to thank you for all of your help and we never got lost. We enjoyed a lunch from a grocery store with many of the items you mentioned and yes, we tried brown cheese. Yum. We had a great trip and weather held out for us in most ports. Just not Alesund. :-) Thanks for everything.

Lars,

Just wanted to check in with you. We returned from our cruise late last night. We enjoyed our time in Alesund, but sadly, it was an extremely rainy and foggy day when we got there. We did still use the rental car to take the Troll Road, so we did make it all the way around, but sadly, could see very little. The few glimpses we did get, you could tell this place is beautiful. When we got to the Troll Wall, you couldn't see a thing. The fog was THAT bad. I've seen pictures, so I know what it was SUPPOSE to be like. I did want to thank you for all of your help and we never got lost. We enjoyed a lunch from a grocery store with many of the items you mentioned and yes, we tried brown cheese. Yum. We had a great trip and weather held out for us in most ports. Just not Alesund. :-) Thanks for everything.

I am glad you enjoyed the cruise. I have done Trollstigen in fog and rain and its a miserable experience.

Unfortunately there is nothing we can do about the weather and this Spring/Summer has been really horrible. I heard it was the coldest May since the 90s.

The forecast calls for extreme weather with danger of flooding.....It really feels like autumn.

This is the way it goes up here....

Wanted to share that our group of 16 gathered from our roll call had an excellent four-hour tour out of Alesund booked through Moereguides: Islands Discovery, http://www.moereguide.com/index.php/en/. Kari was the guide and Odd the driver. The cost per person was 406 NOK. We were blessed with a beautiful day. Alesund is beautiful!!

In Stavenger, we took the Rodne cruise up the Lysefjord to Pulpit Rock and back. Again, great day and a very enjoyable experience. It was Ascension Thursday, so most stores were closed. The Norwegians have a special name for this holy day.

Bergen was pretty miserable- we joined a roll call member who arranged for a guided walk at the top of the Floibanen. The guide wasn't even Norwegian, and the cold, rain and fog prevented us from seeing much of anything!

Geiranger: Yay, we had the Seawalk! Highlight was the waterfall walk while the skies were clear. After our walk we boarded a bus for the Panorama tour that was to have gone to Dalsnibba except the pass was still closed on May 13th. Instead we went to Eagle's Bend viewpoint, along with what seemed like 90% of all the cruisers in port followed by a 90 minute cruise. By the time of the cruise it was pouring rain with limited visibility. The bus/boat tour was a disappointment. We talked with friends who did the RIB boat and from what they said, I would recommend that over the Panorama tour. Public restrooms are limited in Geiranger so plan accordingly.

Edited by TMLAalum

Any reccomendations on things to do in Alesund and Gerainger on a cold rainy day?

A good library to read a book at? Good coffee shop or local pub for a local bier or grog and a good hot meal?

My wife and I are avid travelers/backpackers and will probably do a little bit of hiking in the rain but the cold will keep us from staying out too long.

Would be great to have a hot toddy by an open fire to warm up before we jump back on the boat.

Thanks for this thread. Its been a great read.

-Sean

I am glad you enjoyed the cruise. I have done Trollstigen in fog and rain and its a miserable experience.

Unfortunately there is nothing we can do about the weather and this Spring/Summer has been really horrible. I heard it was the coldest May since the 90s.

The forecast calls for extreme weather with danger of flooding.....It really feels like autumn.

This is the way it goes up here....

Yes, the weather is never predictable and you just go with the flow. After we made the loop, the sun started trying to break through and we got some great pictures in town. But came up pretty empty with the drive. :-) I wouldn't call our drive or experience "miserable" , but yeah....the driving wasn't quite what we had planned. But it is what it is and in reality, it was actually the only rainy/foggy day we had out of our eight ports, so we did quite well while in Norway. All is good and again, your help was so appreciated.

Hello Lars!

I'm in shock! I have checked the temps for next week and it will SNOW! in Mount Dalsnibba when we're there :eek: -3ºC

http://www.yr.no/sted/Norge/M%C3%B8re_og_Romsdal/Stranda/Dalsnibba/langtidsvarsel.html

What happens in that case? Do the buses reach the top? We'll turn before? Will they close the road or work to keep it open?

I mean, seeing nothing will be a shame, but at least if it snows it will be quite a thing, but if we can't even reach the place...

I just can't believe it, we're in the 30ºCs in Mallorca and at the same time, we're about to go -3ºC :eek:

Edited by Elmartellama

Hello Lars!

I'm in shock! I have checked the temps for next week and it will SNOW! in Mount Dalsnibba when we're there :eek: -3ºC

http://www.yr.no/sted/Norge/M%C3%B8re_og_Romsdal/Stranda/Dalsnibba/langtidsvarsel.html

What happens in that case? Do the buses reach the top? We'll turn before? Will they close the road or work to keep it open?

I mean, seeing nothing will be a shame, but at least if it snows it will be quite a thing, but if we can't even reach the place...

I just can't believe it, we're in the 30ºCs in Mallorca and at the same time, we're about to go -3ºC :eek:

Can I move to where you are...pleeease:D:D

Yup, its cold and its snow above 800 meters. Lots of the mountain passes/roads has been closed due to severe weather and...well...snow!!

I have heard the road up to Djupvasshytta lodge and Mt. Dalsnibba closes every day at 10 pm. 8 am in the morning the authorities make an assessment and decide if the road is SAFE to open.

If the road is closed the bus probably will drive to where the road is closed/the gate and turn back. The gate is at the bottom of the climb up the mountain.

You probably will head to the Eagle rd and maybe Eidsvatnet lake instead.

Any reccomendations on things to do in Alesund and Gerainger on a cold rainy day?

A good library to read a book at? Good coffee shop or local pub for a local bier or grog and a good hot meal?

My wife and I are avid travelers/backpackers and will probably do a little bit of hiking in the rain but the cold will keep us from staying out too long.

Would be great to have a hot toddy by an open fire to warm up before we jump back on the boat.

Thanks for this thread. Its been a great read.

-Sean

Hi Sean. I like your idea!!:)

In Ålesund there is a library at the townhall just across from the pier.

Not a very cosy place to sit IMO.

The coffee bar/cafe Invit at Apoteker gaten 9 is lovely. Try to get a table by the window overlooking Brosundet (thats the canal or sound sloping through the town).

Invit has really good coffee and some fantastic cakes.

You could check out the Jugend Museum with its multi media show. Its a nice way to loose 30 minutes and learn about Ålesund and the fire that destroyed the town in 1904.

Also do pop into the gallery - Kube - just across from the Jugend Museum(Jugendstil senteret)

Both these places are within a few minutes walk from the pier. Its just across the Hellebroa/Brosundet.

Another good coffee place is Racoon.

Lyspunktet is the only place that might have a fireplace (working)

http://www.lyspunktet.as/

http://www.invit.no/

http://www.jugendstilsenteret.no/

If you really are feeling adventurous head to Apotekergata and Moloveien.

At Moloveien you will find an antique shop selling good coffee.

Find a seat by the window for a very different experiance.....The owner used to have some seats all the way inside the shop among the things she is selling....you really have to go all the way pass the usual seating area.

Apotegergata/Moloveien:

https://www.google.no/maps/place/Apotekergata,+6004+%C3%85lesund/@62.4717142,6.1511621,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x4616da38ecf550fb:0xc33c424bbb63718f

In Geiranger you could visit the Fjord senter.

For excellent food and drinks Brasserie Posten is the place!!!!...Food made with only local ingredients...and pride..Its the best place.

http://www.brasserieposten.no/

Hello,

Per chance, do you know about how long it takes to hike from Alnes, Godoy to Johan Skytt ... Not the peak, just the overhanging rock?

TIA ... I have enjoyed reading this thread. You're a huge asset.

Wow- I am impressed you even know about that rock.

It will take 45 minutes to 1 hr each one way. Its an easy path to navigate but I would still call the hike strenuous.

I will not recommend anyone going onto the rock as its a good few hundred meters of freefall down.

http://www.fjellside.com/johanskytt/b1/bilder.html

Edited by I-Cruiser