Can help with Ålesund & Norwegian Fjords:-)

I-Cruiser

Taxi to Westerås is a good idea. The walk to Storseterfossen will take 1 hr each way.

First of all, thanks for this fantastic and informative thread! We are planning on hiking to Storseterfossen as well on our port day in Geiranger, but had been prepared to hike up to Westerås until I saw you and the previous poster mentioning a taxi. Where would we go to catch the taxi and do you have an idea of how much it would be? Any information would be very much appreciated!

Edited by grebmerun

First of all, thanks for this fantastic and informative thread! We are planning on hiking to Storseterfossen as well on our port day in Geiranger, but had been prepared to hike up to Westerås until I saw you and the previous poster mentioning a taxi. Where would we go to catch the taxi and do you have an idea of how much it would be? Any information would be very much appreciated!

"Geiranger Taxi" is very close to the pier. I would suggest you pre book the taxi to make sure you get one.

Remember Geiranger is a very touristy place and the number of taxis are limited.

I am not sure how much the taxi fare would be but in the NOK 200 region one way..(?)

Contact details:

http://www.geirangertaxi.no/

info@geirangertaxi.no

When in Norway you could call and book:+ 47 40 00 37 41

Be-U-ti-ful photos btw!

Thank you:) here is more for you.

From the open air museum in Ålesund

2015-04-19%2014.25.23_zpsr6qxkaie.jpg

From Ålesund and Brosudet:

2015-04-19%2013.50.01_zpsactdb2we.jpg

Trollveggen mountain:

2013-06-30123806_zpsf74de4a1.jpg

Seven Sisters Waterfall, Geiranger:norway4_zps3bed7e99.jpg

Cruising the Storfjord towards Geiranger:norway_zpsac94cb13.jpg

...ok then:) a few more. You got me going:D

Trollstigen viewing platform:trollstigen_zps42f8bab9.jpg

Ålesund - picture taken from Moloveien (my favourite)2012-09-30120713_zps03848ae5.jpg

The majestic fjords:image_zps21091804.jpg

When driving to Valldal and the Trollstigen make sure you stop here for pictures.image_zpsc8514a43.jpg

Edited by I-Cruiser

Hi Ice Cruiser! My husband and I are taking the HAL Eurodam 19-Day Baltic-Norwegian Fjords Cruise departing from Copenhagen on August 7. This is the Norwegian Fjords portion of our cruise. My husband has limited mobility and I would appreciate some advice on the best way to see these areas. So far, our choice is limited to the shore excursions offered by HAL. I am hoping that you can give us alternatives, including local tour operators. Thanks!!!

19 Aug 2015 Copenhagen, Denmark

20 Aug 2015 At Sea

21 Aug 2015 Flam, Norway 07:00 AM - 06:00 PM

21 Aug 2015 Scenic cruising Sognefjord CO

22 Aug 2015 Stavanger, Norway 09:00 AM - 05:00 PM

23 Aug 2015 Kristiansand, Norway 08:00 AM - 05:00 PM

24 Aug 2015 Oslo, Norway 08:00 AM - 05:00 PM

24 Aug 2015 Scenic cruising Oslo Fjord CO

25 Aug 2015 Gothenburg, Sweden 08:00 AM - 04:00 PM

26 Aug 2015 Copenhagen, Denmark 07:00 AM

Hi Ice Cruiser! My husband and I are taking the HAL Eurodam 19-Day Baltic-Norwegian Fjords Cruise departing from Copenhagen on August 7. This is the Norwegian Fjords portion of our cruise. My husband has limited mobility and I would appreciate some advice on the best way to see these areas. So far, our choice is limited to the shore excursions offered by HAL. I am hoping that you can give us alternatives, including local tour operators. Thanks!!!

19 Aug 2015 Copenhagen, Denmark

20 Aug 2015 At Sea

21 Aug 2015 Flam, Norway 07:00 AM - 06:00 PM

21 Aug 2015 Scenic cruising Sognefjord CO

22 Aug 2015 Stavanger, Norway 09:00 AM - 05:00 PM

23 Aug 2015 Kristiansand, Norway 08:00 AM - 05:00 PM

24 Aug 2015 Oslo, Norway 08:00 AM - 05:00 PM

24 Aug 2015 Scenic cruising Oslo Fjord CO

25 Aug 2015 Gothenburg, Sweden 08:00 AM - 04:00 PM

26 Aug 2015 Copenhagen, Denmark 07:00 AM

I can give you advice about Flåm as that is the only real fjord port in the western part of Norway.

I am not to familiar with the other cities in Norway your ship is stopping.

However, I know there are other threads covering Oslo, Stavanger and Kristiansand.

The most popular choice in Flåm is the railroad. Its very close to the pier so you will not have to walk very far.

The scenery on the train ride is of course stunning.

You also have the possibility to take a boat trip on the simply beautiful Nærøyfjord.

You can do a round trip or a combo boat and train.

If you do not wish to venture so far a filed you can take a trip on the "Rallartoget".

Se link:

http://www.venturenorway.com/rallar_toget#.VXKWA9Sqqko

Scenes from Flåm:flam_zpsrurfxo1e.jpg

flam1_zpsqcqrwaqy.jpg

Edited by I-Cruiser

Thank you so much for your valuable info Ice Cruiser, much appreciated!!!:) I guess we will take the HAL-sponsored Flam railway shoreex. I read somewhere that there are allocated seats for the Cruise lines so we will be assured of getting on the train. I will also look into your other suggestions.

Thank you so much for your valuable info Ice Cruiser, much appreciated!!!:) I guess we will take the HAL-sponsored Flam railway shoreex. I read somewhere that there are allocated seats for the Cruise lines so we will be assured of getting on the train. I will also look into your other suggestions.

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2215240#

the above link will take you to my review of our May Norway cruise.We didn't do all your ports but my advice re ship sponsored Flam railway is don't do it!

A lady on our roll call put together a group at about 10% discount but even booking directly on the Flam railway website will be a lot cheaper-The NCL excursion cost $100 more per person for seats on the same train!

Also try to get seats on coach 8 as that stops directly opposite the waterfall viewing platform-most of the coaches were stopped within the dark tunnel at that point and that included most of the ship allocated coaches

Thank you for your kind words. If there is any other questions please let me know.

Also, take the advice of the previous poster.

Doing a ships tour is almost always more expensive then booking directly.

Hi,

Wonder if you can help please. On a cruise calling at Geiranger on July 6th, have booked Kayaking in the PM, so wondered about getting to Mt Dalsnibba in the late morning/lunchtime.

Would you suggest waiting until arrival before deciding to do the Mt due to the weather and if so, would there be an easy way to get there if not on a ship's tour please?

Thanks

Mark

Hi,

Wonder if you can help please. On a cruise calling at Geiranger on July 6th, have booked Kayaking in the PM, so wondered about getting to Mt Dalsnibba in the late morning/lunchtime.

Would you suggest waiting until arrival before deciding to do the Mt due to the weather and if so, would there be an easy way to get there if not on a ship's tour please?

Thanks

Mark

HI Mark, you can chance it and try to book space on the hop on/off tours when in Geiranger but most likely it will sell out as July is high season.

When I tried to make a booking there are only availability on the 930 am bus to Dalsnibba (39 seats left) for July 6.

Link to make booking:

http://www.geirangerfjord.no/bus-turer-i-geiranger-2

So, I would make the booking and hope the weather holds up.

If you want to play it by ear you would need a plan B if the Dalsnibba tour is full.

You can try to get a taxi tour but it will be costly.

Lars

Edited by I-Cruiser

HI Mark, you can chance it and try to book space on the hop on/off tours when in Geiranger but most likely it will sell out as July is high season.

When I tried to make a booking there are only availability on the 930 am bus to Dalsnibba (39 seats left) for July 6.

Link to make booking:

http://www.geirangerfjord.no/bus-turer-i-geiranger-2

So, I would make the booking and hope the weather holds up.

If you want to play it by ear you would need a plan B if the Dalsnibba tour is full.

You can try to get a taxi tour but it will be costly.

Lars

Lars,

Many thanks for the very prompt & informative reply. Greatly appreciate you taking the time to help us all out.

Regards

Mark

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2215240#

the above link will take you to my review of our May Norway cruise.We didn't do all your ports but my advice re ship sponsored Flam railway is don't do it!

A lady on our roll call put together a group at about 10% discount but even booking directly on the Flam railway website will be a lot cheaper-The NCL excursion cost $100 more per person for seats on the same train!

Also try to get seats on coach 8 as that stops directly opposite the waterfall viewing platform-most of the coaches were stopped within the dark tunnel at that point and that included most of the ship allocated coaches

Thank you so much fabnfortysomething!!! Now that I found someone who has a similar problem as my own and who has had experience with cruising, it makes my researching so much easier. I hope you don't mind but I might need to consult you every so often. My husband is a stroke victim and although he doesn't need a wheelchair, has limited mobility. We did our first cruise last year, AMA Waterways Danube River Cruise, and like you, we discovered that cruising is the most convenient way for us to travel.

Thank you for your kind words. If there is any other questions please let me know.

Also, take the advice of the previous poster.

Doing a ships tour is almost always more expensive then booking directly.

First of all, sorry about misspelling your handle I-CruiserI:( Yes, I will be consulting fabnfortysomething since it seems we have similar problems. Thanks again for your generous help!

Currently packing for my children for North Cape & Fjords. My question is should I pack more jumpers than T shirts? Trying to get a feel for the weather. We are based in Scotland so not used to tropical heat so anything approaching summer is good for us. Not had the time to do my usual research in terms of ports. I was hoping to just take a stroll around the ports with the children. I have four boys so the ship tours are not really suitable in terms of cost and general flexibility . Anything that may appeal to them in particular at the ports?

Currently packing for my children for North Cape & Fjords. My question is should I pack more jumpers than T shirts? Trying to get a feel for the weather. We are based in Scotland so not used to tropical heat so anything approaching summer is good for us. Not had the time to do my usual research in terms of ports. I was hoping to just take a stroll around the ports with the children. I have four boys so the ship tours are not really suitable in terms of cost and general flexibility . Anything that may appeal to them in particular at the ports?

Hi there - Since you are in Scotland you are having the same kind of weather as us. We currently have a summer with 9-12C with lots of rain. Further north its colder.

The weather forecast does not look optimistic.

I would bring clothes so you can dress in layers. Personally I can walk around in a t-shirt during the day for a few hours but I always have a jumper available or a jacket.

In the ports you can easily just walk of the ship and you are right in town.

Since I don´t know the ports you are visiting I can suggest to visit the Jugend style museum in Ålesund. They have a multi media show about the fire that devastated the town in 1904.

Also in Ålesund you should walk the stairs up to the viewpoint at Aksla.

I always like to walk the Apotekergata and Moloveien (I posted a map some posts ago)

In Ålesund you might find the aquarium interesting. It would require a bus ride.

Geiranger is all about nature. I personally like the Fjordcenter where they show how life was along the fjord before. The center contains lots of houses (you can actually walk inside them), a boat, there are cars etc.

I would thing your boy would find that amusing as it is a neat experience.

The entrance fee is NOK 110 per adult and NOK 55 for children.

After the Fjordcenter you can walk the waterfall walk back down to the village. The walk will take approx. 20-30 minutes.

Back in the village you might want to stop by the chocolate shop where they sell home made chocolates with local ingredients.

At the pier you can have your picture taken with the huge Troll.

Geiranger has much more to offer but it would include pre booking tours etc.

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Lars

Hello there I-Cruiser, thank you so much for providing such a valuable resource.

My husband and I have booked a Northern Cape cruise for next year in June. Do you know of any sea fishing trips that he could access. He has fished in the Arctic circle before and I know it will break his heart to be cruising in such good fishing waters and not be able to cast a line somewhere lol!

Hopefully you will be able to point me in the right direction but even if not your advise has been most helpful

Thank you

Hello there I-Cruiser, thank you so much for providing such a valuable resource.

My husband and I have booked a Northern Cape cruise for next year in June. Do you know of any sea fishing trips that he could access. He has fished in the Arctic circle before and I know it will break his heart to be cruising in such good fishing waters and not be able to cast a line somewhere lol!

Hopefully you will be able to point me in the right direction but even if not your advise has been most helpful

Thank you

Helo Corolla48,

I know there are many sea fishing trips available in many ports along the coast.

The problem almost always seem to be their schedule interferes with the ships arrival/departure times.

If you could provide me with which ports he is looking to sea fish I could hopefully give a better answer as we do now wish to break his fishing heart:D

Is he looking at Ålesund only?

Lars

First of all, sorry about misspelling your handle I-CruiserI:( Yes, I will be consulting fabnfortysomething since it seems we have similar problems. Thanks again for your generous help!

Not to worry. I have been called worse:D:D

Happy planning and cruising.