Can help with Ålesund & Norwegian Fjords:-)

I-Cruiser

This summer season is soon coming to a close but now is the perfect time to plan next year:):)

This is a long time coming but thank you so much for all your help with our trip. We went in June. We very bravely rented a car and drove from Alesund to Hotel Oy and beyond. It involved three (or 4) ferries and some nerves of steel (due to timing) but it was the most amazing scenery we have ever seen in our lives! Truly was the real Norway as you said and definitely the road less travelled! The only thing I would advise is to allow a little more time to get back. We picked up our car right away at about 8:15 and got to Hotel Oye at about 12:30 and moved right along after a brief stop so we could catch the 1:00 (I think) ferry. We got back in time to drive up Mt Aksla (spelling?) and get back to the ship. The entire day was spectacular thanks to you because we never would have known to take that trip! Thanks again.

We are going on the Nordlys. will be visiting Hjorundfjord , anchor in the Fjord, lifeboat will tender guests to the dock at Urke for their bus excursion to Oye.

As we are not on the shore excursion, but would like to go ashore and walk around Urke. Not sure if tender is also available to passengers not on excursion.

Any place special to visit? How far is the Post Office from the dock and is it also the white building with the name URKE painted on the side? Saw this picture on a short video.

Thanks

Lars,

Thank you for all your help with questions we have about Alesund and Geiranger. You live in a beautiful country. We were very lucky to have sun both days.

I made it up to Mt Aksla about 8:45pm to see the town as close to sunset as I could. I made it back to the ship with plenty of time to spare.

Becky

Becky - you are very welcome. I am glad you made it up to Mt. Aksla.

The photo is stunning with the clouds - makes it all that more "moody". Thank you for posting.

This is a long time coming but thank you so much for all your help with our trip. We went in June. We very bravely rented a car and drove from Alesund to Hotel Oy and beyond. It involved three (or 4) ferries and some nerves of steel (due to timing) but it was the most amazing scenery we have ever seen in our lives! Truly was the real Norway as you said and definitely the road less travelled! The only thing I would advise is to allow a little more time to get back. We picked up our car right away at about 8:15 and got to Hotel Oye at about 12:30 and moved right along after a brief stop so we could catch the 1:00 (I think) ferry. We got back in time to drive up Mt Aksla (spelling?) and get back to the ship. The entire day was spectacular thanks to you because we never would have known to take that trip! Thanks again.

I am happy you enjoyed your day in Hjørundfjord and Øye.

Sorry you where pushed for time.

We are going on the Nordlys. will be visiting Hjorundfjord , anchor in the Fjord, lifeboat will tender guests to the dock at Urke for their bus excursion to Oye.

As we are not on the shore excursion, but would like to go ashore and walk around Urke. Not sure if tender is also available to passengers not on excursion.

Any place special to visit? How far is the Post Office from the dock and is it also the white building with the name URKE painted on the side? Saw this picture on a short video.

Thanks

Hi there - You will have 3,5 hrs in Urke so I would presume you have time to wonder ashore.

The Post Office is located in the same building/same location as the "landhandel" or grocery store.

You will see the red sign:"Posten" on the wall.

I would think you will use no more than 10-15minutes for the walk to the Post Office.

The building I think you are referring to is a building by the pier.

Hi there - You will have 3,5 hrs in Urke so I would presume you have time to wonder ashore.

The Post Office is located in the same building/same location as the "landhandel" or grocery store.

You will see the red sign:"Posten" on the wall.

I would think you will use no more than 10-15minutes for the walk to the Post Office.

The building I think you are referring to is a building by the pier.

Thank you for the info, looking forward to the smaller ship sailing the Fjords.

By walking into Urke, would be the smallest village I,ve ever visited .

Thank you for the info, looking forward to the smaller ship sailing the Fjords.

By walking into Urke, would be the smallest village I,ve ever visited .

Have a fun experience. Urke has 980 habitants. In relation Geiranger only has about 350 out of season.

Have a fun experience. Urke has 980 habitants. In relation Geiranger only has about 350 out of season.

Is there a café or restaurant nearby or easy to find? Looking at the Google map it show a very country setting lots of open space, hence wonder where there is a central location as we would like to have lunch off the ship.

Thank you .

Is there a café or restaurant nearby or easy to find? Looking at the Google map it show a very country setting lots of open space, hence wonder where there is a central location as we would like to have lunch off the ship.

Thank you .

Yes, funny you should mention this. At the white "kaihus"/"pier house" (the concrete house with the name "Urke" written on the wall) there is a cafe open from 11-23 (September and October from 12-16)

Its such a good location for a cafe with tables outside. Its the perfect setting for a meal with the fjord and mountains as a backdrop.

Yes, funny you should mention this. At the white "kaihus"/"pier house" (the concrete house with the name "Urke" written on the wall) there is a cafe open from 11-23 (September and October from 12-16)

Its such a good location for a cafe with tables outside. Its the perfect setting for a meal with the fjord and mountains as a backdrop.

This is great information. Will there be an English Menu?

Since we have 3.5 hours is there any other places that one can visit, that is not too far and easy to find.

Again thanks for all the great information, very appreciated.

This is great information. Will there be an English Menu?

Since we have 3.5 hours is there any other places that one can visit, that is not too far and easy to find.

Again thanks for all the great information, very appreciated.

I would presume they have an menu in English. If not, I am sure the staff can translate.

You could go to Øye and visit the historic hotel "Hotel Union Øye". The distance from Urke to Øye is only 6 Km so you could easily walk.

I would presume they have an menu in English. If not, I am sure the staff can translate.

You could go to Øye and visit the historic hotel "Hotel Union Øye". The distance from Urke to Øye is only 6 Km so you could easily walk.

My wife would not be able do the walk, as she has a leg problem.

Didn't realized that Oye was only 6km away.

Hurtigruten only shore excursion for this stop also visit the hotel for a tea stop.

Thanks again.

My wife would not be able do the walk, as she has a leg problem.

Didn't realized that Oye was only 6km away.

Hurtigruten only shore excursion for this stop also visit the hotel for a tea stop.

Thanks again.

No worries.

I would imagine there would be taxis available at the pier too...

Whatever you decide to do, have fun and enjoy.

Lars

Hi Lars,

DH and I are on the Rotterdam and will be in Alesund on September 1 from 9 am to 11 pm. We are going to do a tour of Romsdahl and the Troll Path, because we prefer not to drive ourselves. We will be back at the ship about 5:30 pm.

What would you suggest that we can do in the town once we have a chance to freshen up? Would shopping be open? Where would you recommend for dinner? We'd like to spend a little time in town since we have until at least 10 pm before we'd have to be back onboard.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Lars,

DH and I are on the Rotterdam and will be in Alesund on September 1 from 9 am to 11 pm. We are going to do a tour of Romsdahl and the Troll Path, because we prefer not to drive ourselves. We will be back at the ship about 5:30 pm.

What would you suggest that we can do in the town once we have a chance to freshen up? Would shopping be open? Where would you recommend for dinner? We'd like to spend a little time in town since we have until at least 10 pm before we'd have to be back onboard.

Thanks in advance!

Hi there - The shops in the shopping malls will be open until 8 pm. The others mostly close at 5pm or 6pm.

I would suggest you take a stroll around town; Visit Ålesund Church, walk the Apotekergata and Moloveien....

Ålesund is a very small and compact town so its easy to walk around for 1 hr or so. Walk along the inner harbour towards Skateflua and Kongensgate is very pleasant.

All these places are only a 5-10 minute walk from where your ship docks.

For dinner you will have lots of opportunities.

The brand new restaurant KABB located in the walking street (KONGENSGATE 19) and it is an excellent restaurant. They have a diverse menu with lots of tasty tapas and other dishes.

Another great restaurant is XL-Diner. Its located on the first floor in the same building as the tourist office. Fantastic views of the inner harbour and some superb fish dishes. Not to be missed really.

For reservations: xldiner@xldiner.no

The address is: Skateflua 1B

You could also try a restaurant called "ANNO". it serves great food but only worth it if you get a table by the window (upstairs)

ANNO is situated at Apotekergata 19. Just a few steps from the "Brosundet".

Since you will have from 530pm you can take your time exploring the town and make reservation for dinner at 7pm/730pm so to make sure you are ready by or before 10pm.

Lars:)

Edited by I-Cruiser

From Alesund could I do the Troll road and Geringer without stress? I believe the time in port is 8-5???? Thanks!

No, you can not do both.

You can do both places in 6 hours but I would prefer 1-2hrs more.

Alesund to GEIRANGER 2 hrs each way total of 4 hrs.

Spend 2 hrs in Geiranger.

This if you pick up the car rental at 9 am and deliver back at 4 pm.

I would suggest the same time frame for TROLLSTIGEN.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lars,

In the summer of 2007, I was on the Queen Mary 2 Norwegian Odyssey which stopped in Alesund. After enjoying your lovely city, we were treated to a sendoff by the town which has been unmatched on any other cruise in any other port. In fact, except on that trip where a couple of the other ports also gave us a 'sendoff' (albeit much smaller) we have never experienced anything like it. A large number of people gathered, a band played what I think were the British and Norwegian national anthems, a recording of 'til we meet again' was piped over a loudspeaker, a fire boat shot up water spires, and there were even a few fireworks as we left. It was incredible but I never learned what the significance was. I assume there was some special relationship between your city and the Queen Mary, likely from the war, but I could never find out. I would love it if you were able to explain this to me. It was so impressive, and moving.

Thanks,

Nancy

Hi Lars,

In the summer of 2007, I was on the Queen Mary 2 Norwegian Odyssey which stopped in Alesund. After enjoying your lovely city, we were treated to a sendoff by the town which has been unmatched on any other cruise in any other port. In fact, except on that trip where a couple of the other ports also gave us a 'sendoff' (albeit much smaller) we have never experienced anything like it. A large number of people gathered, a band played what I think were the British and Norwegian national anthems, a recording of 'til we meet again' was piped over a loudspeaker, a fire boat shot up water spires, and there were even a few fireworks as we left. It was incredible but I never learned what the significance was. I assume there was some special relationship between your city and the Queen Mary, likely from the war, but I could never find out. I would love it if you were able to explain this to me. It was so impressive, and moving.

Thanks,

Nancy

Hi Nancy - This is a really good question.

Normally "sendoffs" like these are reserved for ships inaugural visit to ports.

But since the QM2 was launched in 2003 I find it strange her first visit to Ålesund was in 2007. But, this is very possible.

Reading further and talking to the tourist information I found that since the "Queens" are such iconic ships they always get a send of like this albeit not as large. But with the band playing on the pier etc.

I know on days with good weather (we dont get many of those) lots of small boats gather to follow the ships out to sea.

The fireboat could be brand new and wanted to make something festive for the "Queen".

I have not heard of any relations with the Queen Mary and Ålesund during the ww2...The Norwegian royal family are of English heritage but, I think this send of you got was for fun and to make "something special" out of the ship.

Hutigruten announced earlier this week that all its 11 ships will getting refurbished beginning January 11 2016.

The refurbishment of each ship is scheduled to take 22 days.

The first four ship to get refurbished are: MS «Polarlys», MS «Nordkapp», MS «NordNorge» and MS «Kong Harald».

The new look will be very Nordic with a fresh light inspired interior.

The materials used will be wood, leather and stone.

Buffet/Restaurant area:hurtigutennew2_zpsjw75hi80.jpg

Restaurant/Cafe:hurtigruten%20new_zpshkbbsyb9.jpg

Lobby area:hurtigrutennew1_zpseaqah646.jpg

Cabin:hurtigrutennew3_zpso0okj1lj.jpg

Also the food on offer will be changed to more local produce.

Hurtigruten has made arrangements with 30 local producers along the coast for delivery for fresh produce.

They also will offer more baked goods in their cafes/restaurants.

Hurtigruten has a goal to become the world leader in nature expeditions in the Polar regions with its new ship MS Spitzbergen......

One thing for sure. The Hurtigruten sure needs this fresh upgrade to its tired decor.

I am very much looking forward to seeing the "new" ships.

Hi Lars,

Thank you so much for looking into my question about QM2. There is definitely something special about the Queens so I understand that they might receive special treatment. But I think there is also something special about the people of Norway. We traveled on Queen Victoria in the Mediterranean and never received any special reception.

However, now that I think about it, there is a possibility that it was her maiden visit. When we were leaving Bergen, many people were watching from a bridge and cheering as we passed under it. The channel had just been deepened so she could fit so we assumed that it was her first visit to Bergen but maybe it was also her first to Alesund. Well, no matter what the reason, Queen Mary 2 and the lovely people of those Norwegian towns definitely provided us with a special experience and great fun!

• 4 weeks later...
image_zps958cba62.jpg

Hello Lars,

If I may ask, where is this place? I love how the fjords are perfectly reflected on the water.

Been reading this thread (62 pages took quite a while). Thanks for all the information! :)

Chenni

Hello Lars,

If I may ask, where is this place? I love how the fjords are perfectly reflected on the water.

Been reading this thread (62 pages took quite a while). Thanks for all the information! :)

Chenni

Hi Chenni:) This picture was taken in a small fjordarm/village called"Tafjord".

It sits towards the end of one of the arms of the larger Storfjord.

No ships goes there as further out the same fjord the take a right towards Hellesylt and Geiranger.

By car its easy to to from either Ålesund, Geiranger or Åndalsnes.

When you get to Valldall just continue straight forward into the tunnel and on the other side you get hit by this stunning vista. (it all sounds very Narnia doesnt it:D)

I enclose a link to a map showing Tafjord:https://www.google.no/maps/@62.2701546,7.3276097,11z

Tafjord is best known for its Dam and the powerstation.

Its also known for the tragic accident in 1934 when a part of the mountain slid out and caused much damage.

The Tafjordfjellene (The Tafjord mountains) are fantastic spots for hiking.

Reindalen and the Reindalen lodge being the most popular.

Tafjord is also known for its mild micro climate. The picture you are referring to was taken in either April or May. Probably early am.

The reflection of the mountains in the water was magical.

Kudos to you for reading every single page:-)

Lars

Edited by I-Cruiser

Thank you Lars. Hmmm, I may have just enough time to do the detour from Alesund :D I'm booked on a cruise of the Midnight Sun on the new Koningsdam for next summer and planning to do the Trollstigen drive from Alesund. Your thread has given me great ideas of what to do in various ports, and the photos are awe-inspiring, makes me want to move to Norway :) Thanks for taking the time to provide so much information!

Best regards,

Chenni

Thank you Lars. Hmmm, I may have just enough time to do the detour from Alesund :D I'm booked on a cruise of the Midnight Sun on the new Koningsdam for next summer and planning to do the Trollstigen drive from Alesund. Your thread has given me great ideas of what to do in various ports, and the photos are awe-inspiring, makes me want to move to Norway :) Thanks for taking the time to provide so much information!

Best regards,

Chenni

Thank you for your kind words:) I am sure you can make the detour as the drive from Valldal to Tafjord (the village) only takes 20 minutes (one way).

The Koningsdam looks like its going to be a wonderful ship. I would love to hear how you like the ship.