Can help with Ålesund & Norwegian Fjords:-)

I-Cruiser

Lars -

Thanks so much for your comments. Two more questions that I came up with after reading some more:

1) is the road between Alesund and Oye / Hotel Union also closed early in the season?

2) have you heard any comments about the "electric car" tours in Geiranger?

Next time we plan a trip like thus - we need to check the weather first - LOL!

Thanks again,

Stacy

Stacy,

1: The road to Øye is open year round.

But as the road crosses a mountain range it will close when there are avalanches or if there are dangers of avalanches.

2: I have heard lots of great stuff about the el mobility car tours. It has proven to become a very popular and fun way to discover Geiranger. Its a breath of fresh air from all the dreadful pollution in the area du to cruise ships, tour busses, private cars etc.

The el cars are very easy to maneuver and the gps very easy to understand.

Hi Lars

I have been reading and appreciating your posts for months ever since we booked a cruise that stops in Norway next August. You are a fantastic resource.

I would very much appreciate the Alesund Walking tour-ryanbrm at gmail.com.

Many thanks.

Hi Lars,

I have been reading the last few months to make sure I would not miss anything. What a beautiful place you live in!

Thank you in advance.

I will be on the new Holland ship in July.

Can you send me your walking tour please.

Thank you.

jmgingrich at comcast.net

Janet

I-Cruiser:

Thanks for all your wonderful info. We are trying to decide between Norway in a Nutshell starting in Oslo or doing a cruise and just flying to Oslo for 4 days after the cruise.

i am concerned about trains, ferries and buses with our luggage. Can you share thoughts. You may email me at missmunley@aol.com

Thanks

Hi there :) I can understand the confusion as there are so many choices out there.

Norway in a nutshell will give you a few highlights of what Norway has to offer.

I personally would prefer to discover Norway on a cruise then add on - as you wanted - 4 days post cruise.

By doing a combo cruise and land you get to do a more in depth discovery of Norway and you also get to see more of the country.

As there are so many cruises to choose from you could easily do a cruise that excludes stops where the nutshell post cruise itinerary stops.

All this will give you a more richer experience.

I am not a fan of dragging luggage on trains/busses/ferries etc..

The trains and busses do have ample storage for luggage but it has to be loaded on and off.

An idea would be to only take hand luggage for 4 days with you on the post cruise trip. The remaining luggage you could ask to be stored at your hotel in Oslo or indeed at the luggage facility at Oslo airport.

Its pretty easy to drive in Norway so you could rent a car and do it diy.

Have you thought about renting a car?

Do you have a specific cruise itinerary/cruise line in mind?

We are looking at doing 3 days in Oslo then fly to London and do celebrity Eclipse OR

Fly to Oslo- do Norway in a Nutshell to Bergen then take Huntiguten ( 2 Nights) to Trondheim and then train back to Oslo- we would be stopping in Alesund.

Personally I think you will get more out of the experience by doing the Eclipse cruise and 3 days in Oslo. I would suggest you spend some of those days exploring the area around Oslo. Even making a trip to western Norway and more fjords or exploring inland up to Lillehammer, Mjøsa (the lake).

Its very easy to do diy.

I usually talk very warmly about Hurtigruten but on a 2 nights cruise on the ships one of the ports are during the night, two stops are only for 15 minutes and the others range from 30 minutes to 3 hrs (Ålesund)

These stops are to short to really enjoy the areas unless of course you are taking the 2 days Hurtigruten trip just to explore the scenery and are not to keen on going ashore.

Just hit the "paperclip" in the Message window.

Maximum pdf size 976.6 KB

Thank you much:):)

However, I think this file is larger then the 976,6 KB allowed as it failed to upload.

But, I learned something new!

Edited by I-Cruiser

An other way to share larger files is by using a Cloud Service like e.g. OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Drive. The principle is that you upload your file to your personal Cloud. Then you share that file via a "link". The link you share on this forum.

For example: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=B4899DEF5CBA9C87!4552&authkey=!APdIF1599HoYKXc&v=3&ithint=photo%2cJPG (Prinsendam in Bergen)

Edited by PeetNL

Is there a "best" time of day to take the railway Flam/Mrydal return? Our Celebrity ship arrives Flam at 7.00 am and departs 5.30pm on 3rd May. We are thinking of booking the 9.45am train in the hope that it might be less busy than later on. The 12.20 train is already fully booked. There appears to be only one other ship in that day from Viking Cruises. We are hoping that Lars or someone who has already done the trip might be able to comment. Thanks.

I am thinking of doing a land based tour instead of cruise because I can't find a cruise that will allow me to see everything I want...want to see geringer, troll road ,stavenger, alesund, Atlantic highway, lofotons and up to honnigsvag...if I flew into or out of Oslo, rent a car from Bergen and drive that area and then fly further north and rent a car again...what airport should I fly into in the north? Am I taking on too much and will it be difficult to plan?

I am thinking of doing a land based tour instead of cruise because I can't find a cruise that will allow me to see everything I want...want to see geringer, troll road ,stavenger, alesund, Atlantic highway, lofotons and up to honnigsvag...if I flew into or out of Oslo, rent a car from Bergen and drive that area and then fly further north and rent a car again...what airport should I fly into in the north? Am I taking on too much and will it be difficult to plan?

Our cruise on Princess last June covered all but Giegranger and you could get there from one of the ports. Princess cruise for next June will cover all of those ports. This was the best cruise we have ever taken. Norway is astounding.It makes Alaska look like flat land.

:D

Is there a "best" time of day to take the railway Flam/Mrydal return? Our Celebrity ship arrives Flam at 7.00 am and departs 5.30pm on 3rd May. We are thinking of booking the 9.45am train in the hope that it might be less busy than later on. The 12.20 train is already fully booked. There appears to be only one other ship in that day from Viking Cruises. We are hoping that Lars or someone who has already done the trip might be able to comment. Thanks.

I would take one early morning or at around 9am/10 am as you intend to.

The majority of pax might have gone earlier so you might have a more comfortable ride.

Another good point about taking a later train is that if there are fog during the early mornings it might have shifted a bit later on on the morning.