Can help with Ålesund & Norwegian Fjords:-)

I-Cruiser

You can chance it and purchase tickets on arrival but I will strongly advice to pre purchase in case your departure will be sold out as 9am is a very popular departure.

Thanks Lars. I've just looked at the 2016 timetables and there are changes from the 2015 timetable so I can no longer stop at Undredal at 09:45 and then get on the next service at 10:45 to arrive at Gudvangen at 12:15. There is still a 9am service from Flam and it stops at Undredal at 09:50 but the next service to stop at Undredal leaves Flam at 12:00 and Undredal at 12:50, arriving at Gudvangen at 14:15. They now have the new Fast service that departs Flam at 10:00 and arrives at Gudvangen at 11:30. I had looked for 2016 timetables on the visitflam website after someone mentioned that the new ones are available but couldn't find them but I've just done a Google search for "visit flam ferry timetables" and found the new timetables.

The changes will now mean that we can still travel to Gudvangen but not also spend time at Undredal. I'm thinking that it would still be better to get the 09:00 service that stops at Aurland, Undredal, Dyrdal and Styvi on the way to Gudvangen as I would think it would be nice to sail close to shore as we come in and out of each town and I would probably be able to get some nice photos along the way, whereas the fast direct service, although a 45 minute quicker trip, would not bring us as close to shore as we pass each of these places.

The 09:00 service would arrive at Gudvangen at 11:15 and we can then travel back to Flam on a bus leaving at 12:00 or 13:30. Do you think there is enough to see while walking around Gudvangen if we spend 2hr15 there and travel back on the 13:30 bus, which arrives back in Flam at 13:50.

We could then book the 14:00 or 15:00 Stegastein Viewpoint 90 minute bus tour. Would you think it would be safer to book the 15:00 service in case there is a delay with the bus from Gudvangen arriving back by 13:50?

Thanks again for your advice.

Ken

Thanks Lars. I've just looked at the 2016 timetables and there are changes from the 2015 timetable so I can no longer stop at Undredal at 09:45 and then get on the next service at 10:45 to arrive at Gudvangen at 12:15. There is still a 9am service from Flam and it stops at Undredal at 09:50 but the next service to stop at Undredal leaves Flam at 12:00 and Undredal at 12:50, arriving at Gudvangen at 14:15. They now have the new Fast service that departs Flam at 10:00 and arrives at Gudvangen at 11:30. I had looked for 2016 timetables on the visitflam website after someone mentioned that the new ones are available but couldn't find them but I've just done a Google search for "visit flam ferry timetables" and found the new timetables.

The changes will now mean that we can still travel to Gudvangen but not also spend time at Undredal. I'm thinking that it would still be better to get the 09:00 service that stops at Aurland, Undredal, Dyrdal and Styvi on the way to Gudvangen as I would think it would be nice to sail close to shore as we come in and out of each town and I would probably be able to get some nice photos along the way, whereas the fast direct service, although a 45 minute quicker trip, would not bring us as close to shore as we pass each of these places.

The 09:00 service would arrive at Gudvangen at 11:15 and we can then travel back to Flam on a bus leaving at 12:00 or 13:30. Do you think there is enough to see while walking around Gudvangen if we spend 2hr15 there and travel back on the 13:30 bus, which arrives back in Flam at 13:50.

We could then book the 14:00 or 15:00 Stegastein Viewpoint 90 minute bus tour. Would you think it would be safer to book the 15:00 service in case there is a delay with the bus from Gudvangen arriving back by 13:50?

Thanks again for your advice.

Ken

Ken - I would suggest since you have the time to do the "slow" service instead of the "fast" service.

More to see. Travel will be closer to shore and you will visit more places. For sure you will get more photo ops on the slow boat to Gudvangen (:D)

2:15 hrs in Gudvangen leaves you plenty of time as the village is really tiny and its not much there.

You could visit the "magical white caves" which is situated 6 km from the pier i Gudvangen. Its caves in a mountain made of Anorthosit. I have never been there myself but they are said to be amazing.

You also have the Viking Valley or market.

10 minutes between departures are to narrow for my liking. If you can do the 15:00 departure I would choose this. Gives you a little more time to breath and to sit down and just listen to the silence.

Thats magical:)

Hello Lars,

We are in port in Alesund and Bergen also and want to see the fjords, but reading more and more about Alesund makes me want to just stay there .....it sounds amazing!! We were schedule to take a long drive to/from Geiranger to take a boat ride on the GeirangerFjord and had a short tour of Geiranger when done before heading back to meet the ship. Most of the 8 hours is in a car!

In Bergen we do not have enough time to do any of the tours of Norway in a nutshell as our time is limited and the schedules for tours doesn't work due to ships arrival/departure.

We are thinking now of doing this while in Bergen, Fjord Cruise on the Osterfjord & Mostraumen but want to know if it's worth it.......will we be disappointed in not going to Alesund for the fjord there??

Ken - I would suggest since you have the time to do the "slow" service instead of the "fast" service.

More to see. Travel will be closer to shore and you will visit more places. For sure you will get more photo ops on the slow boat to Gudvangen (:D)

2:15 hrs in Gudvangen leaves you plenty of time as the village is really tiny and its not much there.

10 minutes between departures are to narrow for my liking. If you can do the 15:00 departure I would choose this. Gives you a little more time to breath and to sit down and just listen to the silence.

Thats magical:)

Thanks again Lars. The slower service it is!

I've been looking again at the 2016 timetables and we're now thinking that rather than do the 9am boat trip we'll do the Stegastein Viewpoint 90 minute bus tour at 9am or 10am and then the 12:00 boat trip from Flam to Gudvangen, arriving at 14:15. This then gives us the option to get a bus from Gudvangen back to Flam at 15:30 or 16:00 and be back in plenty of time for our ship departure of 17:30. If you buy the bus ticket at Flam where you buy the boat ticket do you have to pick a definite time for the bus? Can you just buy the bus ticket at Gudvangen when you're ready to go back to Flam?

You strongly advised to pre-purchase the 9am boat departure as it is a very popular departure. Do you think we should pre-purchase the 12:00 boat trip in advance or could we wait and book it when we first arrive?

Also for the Stegastein Viewpoint 90 minute bus tour is that something that is likely to sell out as well? It's getting the balance between buying in advance and being sure you've got tickets for that day or waiting to see what the weather is like in case it is foggy or rainy and you can't see much. If we do book ahead we're thinking we'll go for the 10am bus tour, which is scheduled to arrive back at 11.30am, giving 30 minutes before the 12:00 boat trip. Would you be happy with a 30 minute gap between them with the 10am bus tour? I would think that should be enough.

Thanks again for your advice Lars.

Ken

Thanks again Lars. The slower service it is!

I've been looking again at the 2016 timetables and we're now thinking that rather than do the 9am boat trip we'll do the Stegastein Viewpoint 90 minute bus tour at 9am or 10am and then the 12:00 boat trip from Flam to Gudvangen, arriving at 14:15. This then gives us the option to get a bus from Gudvangen back to Flam at 15:30 or 16:00 and be back in plenty of time for our ship departure of 17:30. If you buy the bus ticket at Flam where you buy the boat ticket do you have to pick a definite time for the bus? Can you just buy the bus ticket at Gudvangen when you're ready to go back to Flam?

You strongly advised to pre-purchase the 9am boat departure as it is a very popular departure. Do you think we should pre-purchase the 12:00 boat trip in advance or could we wait and book it when we first arrive?

Also for the Stegastein Viewpoint 90 minute bus tour is that something that is likely to sell out as well? It's getting the balance between buying in advance and being sure you've got tickets for that day or waiting to see what the weather is like in case it is foggy or rainy and you can't see much. If we do book ahead we're thinking we'll go for the 10am bus tour, which is scheduled to arrive back at 11.30am, giving 30 minutes before the 12:00 boat trip. Would you be happy with a 30 minute gap between them with the 10am bus tour? I would think that should be enough.

Thanks again for your advice Lars.

Ken

I always say that when cruising in Norway prepare for rain. If you get sun ️its a bonus[emoji23]

Since ️its highseason everything is set to sell out.

To make sure you get your departures I advice to pre purchase your tickets.

I always say that when cruising in Norway prepare for rain. If you get sun ️its a bonus[emoji23]

Since ️its highseason everything is set to sell out.

To make sure you get your departures I advice to pre purchase your tickets.

Thanks Lars. I've contacted the Visit Flam Visitor Center today and received the reply "Unfortunately the booking for summer cruises in 2016 is not available on our website yet. We are currently working on finalizing the products for publishing on the website and booking online will be available at any time soon. Stegastein viewpoint booking is ready and you may purchase your tickets now." We will book everything together as soon as bookings are available for the boat/bus trip.

For our day at Geiranger we are in port from 8am to 4pm and we are planning to book the Mountain Highlights bus trip to Mt Dalsnibba and Flydalsjuvet and also the Panorama Bus Geiranger that visits the Ornesvingen and Flydalsjuvet viewpoints. I've been considering renting a car for the day instead of doing the tours so we can have the flexibility of spending more time at the viewpoints and stopping at other places along the way as well but my wife is worried about how narrow the road is on the way to Mt Dalsnibba, especially if there are a lot of buses travelling both ways. Is it a difficult road to drive? Is there sufficient room to pull over if buses are passing each other, to allow them to pass?

Thanks Lars. I've contacted the Visit Flam Visitor Center today and received the reply "Unfortunately the booking for summer cruises in 2016 is not available on our website yet. We are currently working on finalizing the products for publishing on the website and booking online will be available at any time soon. Stegastein viewpoint booking is ready and you may purchase your tickets now." We will book everything together as soon as bookings are available for the boat/bus trip.

For our day at Geiranger we are in port from 8am to 4pm and we are planning to book the Mountain Highlights bus trip to Mt Dalsnibba and Flydalsjuvet and also the Panorama Bus Geiranger that visits the Ornesvingen and Flydalsjuvet viewpoints. I've been considering renting a car for the day instead of doing the tours so we can have the flexibility of spending more time at the viewpoints and stopping at other places along the way as well but my wife is worried about how narrow the road is on the way to Mt Dalsnibba, especially if there are a lot of buses travelling both ways. Is it a difficult road to drive? Is there sufficient room to pull over if buses are passing each other, to allow them to pass?

Yes, its not an easy ride. The roads are narrow. Some parts only one lane so you have to wait at a "road pocket"/"waiting place" (which are marked with a sign "M" in blue and white) for cars to pass. If you have passed your "road pocket" you must back up. This especially when there are busses coming.

If there is a bus approaching/in a curve or on the way out of a curve you have to back up or stop as there simply isnt enough room.

Its not for the faint hearted and my advice its to take is slow...very slow.

When driving there isnt much protection between the car and a few hundre meters of freefall.

But, is a stunning and rewarding drive.

I hope I didn't scare you to much:):) Lots of people do the drive every year and no accidents yet.

Hello I'm thanking you for help in advance. My husband and I are doing the fjords inc alesund on 30 April 2016. Can you give me an idea of prices for coffee, lunch etc I believe it can be quite expensive. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Yes, its not an easy ride. The roads are narrow. Some parts only one lane so you have to wait at a "road pocket"/"waiting place" (which are marked with a sign "M" in blue and white) for cars to pass. If you have passed your "road pocket" you must back up. This especially when there are busses coming.

If there is a bus approaching/in a curve or on the way out of a curve you have to back up or stop as there simply isnt enough room.

Its not for the faint hearted and my advice its to take is slow...very slow.

When driving there isnt much protection between the car and a few hundre meters of freefall.

But, is a stunning and rewarding drive.

I hope I didn't scare you to much:):) Lots of people do the drive every year and no accidents yet.

Thanks for the information about the drive to Mt Dalsnibba Lars. I've discussed it with my Wife and we've decided to book the two bus tours. I know it would be more flexible having the car and I would still be willing to try it but we are both a bit nervous with heights and with often having to back up for busses and not being used to the road we think we'll enjoy it more on the bus this time.

Ken

Edited by Koz1

Hello I'm thanking you for help in advance. My husband and I are doing the fjords inc alesund on 30 April 2016. Can you give me an idea of prices for coffee, lunch etc I believe it can be quite expensive. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Of course it will depend on what kind of establishment you choose. But, a "regular" coffee cost approx. NOK 40. Cakes etc from NOK 50.

Lunches can easily set you back anything from NOK 200 pp to NOK 400 pp - This is a soup or sandwich or salad with a softdrink.

A beer can easily cost from NOK 60 and upwards. A glass of wine from NOK 80.

Softdrinks and water NOK 40.

In tourist places the prices are much higher.

Hi Lars

What a fantastic thread with so much information.

We are cruising for the very first time in June this year with Cunard's Queen Elizabeth and stopping at Bergen, Alesund, Flam, Geiranger and Stavanger and we are so excited.

Thanks to your thread we have picked up loads of tips and have decided on tours in all the locations apart from Stavanger.

We are due in Bergen on June 16th and I wondered if bringing a pair of shorts would be optimistic? We have no idea what the weather will be like mid June.

We are considering some mountainous tours so I presume a rain jacket would be a good idea along with hiking boots?

Hi Lars

What a fantastic thread with so much information.

We are cruising for the very first time in June this year with Cunard's Queen Elizabeth and stopping at Bergen, Alesund, Flam, Geiranger and Stavanger and we are so excited.

Thanks to your thread we have picked up loads of tips and have decided on tours in all the locations apart from Stavanger.

We are due in Bergen on June 16th and I wondered if bringing a pair of shorts would be optimistic? We have no idea what the weather will be like mid June.

We are considering some mountainous tours so I presume a rain jacket would be a good idea along with hiking boots?

Lisa, do bring shorts along. You just never know:D You might get to use them on a few occasions.

Hiking boots and a rain jacket is a must.

Even though you are cruising in mid June there is a chance of rain and cool evenings.

Bring clothes so you can dress in layers.

I think of the weather in western Norway as the same as in Scotland.

Edited by I-Cruiser

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Lars,

Thanks so much for continuing to provide help for those who plan to visit Norway. We were there several years ago and your advice was extremely helpful. We will be back in Alesund this year. We would like your walking tour guide. Do I need to post an email or is there a link?

Hi Lars,

Have been reading through some of your threads which have been extremely helpful.

We are cruising the Fjords in May on the Azura, stopping off at Stavanger, Olden, Flam & Bergen. We are in port most days from 9am for @ 8 hrs and obviously want to make the most of each port. We want to go up 'high' as well as sail a fjord, so am looking for your recommendations. Do you think one port would be better for one than the other? I don't imagine we would have enough time to do both in each port.

We're looking at say, the Flam railway but also want to see Naerojfjord. Can I assume it would be impossible to do both?

Any help you can give would be gratefully received.

Pdf sent:-)

If anyone reading this thred knows how to post the PDF as a link I would appreciate the help.

Is this the pdf you are sharing?:

http://www.visitalesund-geiranger.com/ImageVault/Images/id_5084/scope_512/ImageVaultHandler.aspx

I think that worked. I googled it, copied the link address, then inserted the link here. It seems to contain the same walking tours that you have described and posted before. If this is correct, you might be able to copy the link into your signature.

By the way, thank you so much for all the effort and help you have done for those visiting your lovely country! I think I have read all the pages and have also made a word document for the ports we will visit. When I get a chance to review, I might have some questions.

Edited by MNfamilycruiser

Is this the pdf you are sharing?:

http://www.visitalesund-geiranger.com/ImageVault/Images/id_5084/scope_512/ImageVaultHandler.aspx

I think that worked. I googled it, copied the link address, then inserted the link here. It seems to contain the same walking tours that you have described and posted before. If this is correct, you might be able to copy the link into your signature.

By the way, thank you so much for all the effort and help you have done for those visiting your lovely country! I think I have read all the pages and have also made a word document for the ports we will visit. When I get a chance to review, I might have some questions.

Yes - It sure is the famous PDF.

Thank you so so much for posting this.

I will have s go at posting this in my siggy. Hopefully I get a chance soon. Way to much going on at the moment.

Lars

Yes - It sure is the famous PDF.

Thank you so so much for posting this.

I will have s go at posting this in my siggy. Hopefully I get a chance soon. Way to much going on at the moment.

Lars

When I click on that link in your siggy, I get an error, page not found. I used the world with the little chain link on it. But originally I had to google it, and just copy and paste the link address without opening it. Because as soon as I clicked the link it downloaded the pdf, then I couldn't figure out how to post that.

This one I just copied the link address and pasted: http://www.visitalesund-geiranger.com/ImageVault/Images/id_5084/scope_512/ImageVaultHandler.aspx

This one I used the insert link from the top of the message box: http://www.visitalesund-geiranger.com/ImageVault/Images/id_5084/scope_512/ImageVaultHandler.aspx

Edited by MNfamilycruiser

Hi Lars,

Wonderful thread you have here. It has been extremely helpful.

I will be in Alesund on June 7 with the Serenade of the Seas. If the weather is okay, I was hoping to do some hiking and get views from a little higher than Mount Aksla of the surrounding fjords and mountains. Something that will require about half a day and can be reached by public transportation. Do you have any recommendations?

My research so far indicates that Sukkertoppen is a reasonable option, easily accessible but maybe the views aren't much better than Aksla? Geitnausa also looks like a good hike. I would really like to get out into the Sunnmore Alps, but I don't know if I can easily get there. If you have any favorite hikes or viewpoints, I would love to hear about them.

Thanks!

Brian

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Lars,

Have been reading through some of your threads which have been extremely helpful.

We are cruising the Fjords in May on the Azura, stopping off at Stavanger, Olden, Flam & Bergen. We are in port most days from 9am for @ 8 hrs and obviously want to make the most of each port. We want to go up 'high' as well as sail a fjord, so am looking for your recommendations. Do you think one port would be better for one than the other? I don't imagine we would have enough time to do both in each port.

We're looking at say, the Flam railway but also want to see Naerojfjord. Can I assume it would be impossible to do both?

Hi Lars,

I will be in Alesund on June 7 with the Serenade of the Seas. If the weather is okay, I was hoping to do some hiking and get views from a little higher than Mount Aksla of the surrounding fjords and mountains. Something that will require about half a day and can be reached by public transportation. Do you have any recommendations?

My research so far indicates that Sukkertoppen is a reasonable option, easily accessible but maybe the views aren't much better than Aksla? Geitnausa also looks like a good hike. I would really like to get out into the Sunnmore Alps, but I don't know if I can easily get there. If you have any favorite hikes or viewpoints, I would love to hear about them.

Thanks!

Brian

I have not forgotten about you. Life is just extremely busy at the moment.

I hope to get back to you in a few days[emoji4][emoji4]

Lars

Lars - Thank you a million times over for this super informative thread and your willingness to answer so many questions!

I am just wondering if anyone else has been having issues getting responses back from private tour companies out of Alesund? I have been attempting to set up a private tour/bus to see Troll Road and have yet to receive a single response from any of the companies I have e-mailed/ and or filled out forms on-line. I am not sure if they are sold out, or if the offices are closed.

Thanks for any insights!

Hi Lars,

Hi there - If you manage to catch the 09:45 train from Flåm you will arrive back in the village at 11:55.

The first available boat is at 12:00 which is to close. The next is at 13.30 with return at 18:00 which is to late.

However it is possible to take the boat from Flåm to Gudvangen then bus back to Flåm.

The bus leaves at 15:30 and arrives at 15:50.

I am not sure which day you are in port but you can make bookings on this site:https://booking.visitflam.com/no/se-gjore/a1139063/n%C3%A6r%C3%B8yfjord-sightseeing-rundtur-fit/showdetails

Hi Lars,

Thanks!

Brian

Hi Brian - I usually do not recommend any hikes as the weather can change to quickly and a nice walk can turn into something else completely. To many accidents happen every year unfortunately.

Hiking in unknown places are best with a local guide.

I would recommend hiking Sukkertoppen. Its easy and the views are better then Aksla imo. The views from Sukkertoppen are different as its toward the town and the ocean behind you.

Lars - Thank you a million times over for this super informative thread and your willingness to answer so many questions!

I am just wondering if anyone else has been having issues getting responses back from private tour companies out of Alesund? I have been attempting to set up a private tour/bus to see Troll Road and have yet to receive a single response from any of the companies I have e-mailed/ and or filled out forms on-line. I am not sure if they are sold out, or if the offices are closed.

Thanks for any insights!

I have heard this myself and I can only apologize for this strange behaviour.

The only reasons I can think of is that they are already fully booked and dont take on any new bookings. Even tho good business manner dictates to give the customer a reply.

Another reason can be that they dont take bookings yet.

I really cant give you a proper answer as I think not replying to requests are so rude and its an embarrassment.

Keep on sending emails and maybe set up a call/Skype call.

I do really hope it works out for you:-)