Can help with Ålesund & Norwegian Fjords:-)

I-Cruiser

Hi there - If you manage to catch the 09:45 train from Flåm you will arrive back in the village at 11:55.

The first available boat is at 12:00 which is to close. The next is at 13.30 with return at 18:00 which is to late.

However it is possible to take the boat from Flåm to Gudvangen then bus back to Flåm.

The bus leaves at 15:30 and arrives at 15:50.

I am not sure which day you are in port but you can make bookings on this site:https://booking.visitflam.com/no/se-gjore/a1139063/n%C3%A6r%C3%B8yfjord-sightseeing-rundtur-fit/showdetails

Hello Lars,

Thank you for your response. Have just checked site but unfortunately that last bus for us is now fully booked so will have to give that a miss.

We also considered cycling back down from Myrdal but I can only see cycle hire from June. Is that weather related? What do you think our chances are for the last week of May?

Hello Lars,

Thank you for your response. Have just checked site but unfortunately that last bus for us is now fully booked so will have to give that a miss.

We also considered cycling back down from Myrdal but I can only see cycle hire from June. Is that weather related? What do you think our chances are for the last week of May?

I belive its because May is still very early in the season. The season really kicks off in mid June.

You can send an email and request a bike rental. Sometimes the rental offices opens when there are ships in port.

Just found this thread, so I haven't read all the postings yet. We are cruising out of London in mid-June on the Pacific Princess, stopping in Bergen (which we've previously visited and seen most of what there is to see there--we did the "Norway in a Nutshell" trip), Geiranger, Tromso, Longyearbyen, Honningsvag, Trondheim, Alesund, Skjolden/Sognefjord, and Haugesund. We're both 65 but in good shape. While we certainly can't hike like we used to, we don't want to see only what we can see from a bus. Are there any "can't miss" tours that I should be looking at? There doesn't seem to be much enthusiasm for organizing private tours on our Roll Call, so we're left with private bookings or, as a last resort, ship tours.

Hello Lars,

I was there last May, and there was not only 4 feet of snow still on the ground in Myrdal (May 28) but it was snowing when I was there. It was raining in the Flam valley most of the trip down and back to Myrdal. Still beautiful, but I would not have wanted to be on a bike!

I was there last May, and there was not only 4 feet of snow still on the ground in Myrdal (May 28) but it was snowing when I was there. It was raining in the Flam valley most of the trip down and back to Myrdal. Still beautiful, but I would not have wanted to be on a bike!

Thanks for your report from May of last year. Wow!! 4 feet of snow!!! Did you take the train trip? If so, would you recommend it even if the weather is not great?

Lars - Thank you a million times over for this super informative thread and your willingness to answer so many questions!

I am just wondering if anyone else has been having issues getting responses back from private tour companies out of Alesund? I have been attempting to set up a private tour/bus to see Troll Road and have yet to receive a single response from any of the companies I have e-mailed/ and or filled out forms on-line. I am not sure if they are sold out, or if the offices are closed.

Thanks for any insights!

I had a similar experience trying to arrange a private tour for a group from the NCL Star in September 2014. A company finally responded and I arranged for a great Path of Trolls tour for 40 persons on a bus. Sorry, I don't have the company name, since I have a new computer and lost the information.

I had a lesser problem with a tour for Bergen, but still had the same problem there. As it turned out due to a hurricane, our stop at Alesund was cancelled, so I had to call and cancel the tour in Alesund.

One issue that I had was that in order to keep the price down, I had to go with a bus, not a smaller vehicle. Also, the tour company would not let others pay directly. I had to collect all the cash in Norwegian currency and pay them on the dock at the start of the cruise. Still, the price was about $60 pp, about 1/3 the NCL price.

I was a royal pain collecting the cash and then having to return.

Thanks for your report from May of last year. Wow!! 4 feet of snow!!! Did you take the train trip? If so, would you recommend it even if the weather is not great?

Thank you Splinter,

Have read a great many weather variations on these threads. As long as we can still get around we won't mind what the heavens throws at us. Will probably leave the bikinis at home though :D

I had a similar experience trying to arrange a private tour for a group from the NCL Star in September 2014. A company finally responded and I arranged for a great Path of Trolls tour for 40 persons on a bus. Sorry, I don't have the company name, since I have a new computer and lost the information.

I had a lesser problem with a tour for Bergen, but still had the same problem there. As it turned out due to a hurricane, our stop at Alesund was cancelled, so I had to call and cancel the tour in Alesund.

One issue that I had was that in order to keep the price down, I had to go with a bus, not a smaller vehicle. Also, the tour company would not let others pay directly. I had to collect all the cash in Norwegian currency and pay them on the dock at the start of the cruise. Still, the price was about $60 pp, about 1/3 the NCL price.

I was a royal pain collecting the cash and then having to return.

Thanks for the information! It appears it is not going to matter, because after 1 e-mail a week for the past 6 weeks, I have given up any hope of ever being contacted. I just went with the ship's tour, as I do not want to drive that myself! I am used to long, flat, straight roads and get very anxious driving in the mountains. I can do it, but not the way I want to spend my vacation!

Just found this thread, so I haven't read all the postings yet. We are cruising out of London in mid-June on the Pacific Princess, stopping in Bergen (which we've previously visited and seen most of what there is to see there--we did the "Norway in a Nutshell" trip), Geiranger, Tromso, Longyearbyen, Honningsvag, Trondheim, Alesund, Skjolden/Sognefjord, and Haugesund. We're both 65 but in good shape. While we certainly can't hike like we used to, we don't want to see only what we can see from a bus. Are there any "can't miss" tours that I should be looking at? There doesn't seem to be much enthusiasm for organizing private tours on our Roll Call, so we're left with private bookings or, as a last resort, ship tours.

In Geiranger I find the waterfall walk very pleasant. Its a 20-30 minute walk from the Fjord senter to the village. The walk goes along the river and has bridges, overhangs etc. I do enjoy this walk.

Another good tour is to Mt. Dalsnibba for the views. (if its a clear day:-))

I also enjoy a trip to Westerås and the easy walk/hike to Løsta.

In Ålesund I would recommend walking around town discovering the architecture. If you would like to venture out the most popular tour would be to Trollstigen.

I would prefer a trip to Hjørungfjorden, the village of Øye and to drive the narrow Norangsdalen. Not sure if ships do tours to Øye so you might have to rent a car and diy.

Lars:

It’s refreshing to read the suggestions of someone so obviously proud of the area he inhabits and so willing to spend significant time helping strangers who visit to maximize their limited hours. Thank you on behalf of participants and lurkers alike!

We visit Norway on Holland America Lines (HAL) MS Rotterdam in June and will be in Alesund on 7 June (08:00 to 23:00) and Geiranger on 8 June ( 07:00 to 17:00) We have reserved an Avis car in Alesund.

I'm trying to plan an auto trip something like: Alesund, Trollstigen, Gudbrandsjuvet, Stranda, Oye, back to Alesund. Google maps estimates it as 8.5 hours.

We plan to take the local tour bus to Mt. Dalsnibba the following day.

I have several questions:

1. Neither Google Maps nor "Distancesfrom" routes us on highway 63 between Trollstigen and Gudbrandsjuvet which looks like it would save backtracking. Is that route impassable? If it is passable, is traveling the circle clockwise or counterclockwise more preferable?

2. Is our itinerary too ambitious, allowing for traffic eating, viewing stops and ferry waits? If yes and we decide to skip Stranda/Oye, do you have any alternative suggestions?

3. Would the weather likely be clearer for the 12:30 bus rather than the 9:30 departure to Mt. Dalsnibba or is it just a matter of chance for any given day?

Thanks again and Happy Easter.

Lars:

It’s refreshing to read the suggestions of someone so obviously proud of the area he inhabits and so willing to spend significant time helping strangers who visit to maximize their limited hours. Thank you on behalf of participants and lurkers alike!

We visit Norway on Holland America Lines (HAL) MS Rotterdam in June and will be in Alesund on 7 June (08:00 to 23:00) and Geiranger on 8 June ( 07:00 to 17:00) We have reserved an Avis car in Alesund.

I'm trying to plan an auto trip something like: Alesund, Trollstigen, Gudbrandsjuvet, Stranda, Oye, back to Alesund. Google maps estimates it as 8.5 hours.

We plan to take the local tour bus to Mt. Dalsnibba the following day.

I have several questions:

1. Neither Google Maps nor "Distancesfrom" routes us on highway 63 between Trollstigen and Gudbrandsjuvet which looks like it would save backtracking. Is that route impassable? If it is passable, is traveling the circle clockwise or counterclockwise more preferable?

You do not need to backtrack. The reason google maps does not show the Trollstigen to Gudbrandsjuvet on 63 is simply because this stretch of road is closed for the winter.

I usually allows for 30 minutes to drive Trollstigen itself. If you wish to stop at the Trollstigen plateau and take in the views/viewing platform another 20-30 minutes. The drive from Trollstigen to Gudbrandsjuvet/Valldal is apporox. 40 minutes without stops.

2. Is our itinerary too ambitious, allowing for traffic eating, viewing stops and ferry waits? If yes and we decide to skip Stranda/Oye, do you have any alternative suggestions?

Its an ambitious itinerary. Not "too" ambitious but it will be a long day driving which requires lots of stops.

Since you are in port for 15 hrs it can be done but I would calculate more than 8,5 hrs.

A round trip from Ålesund to Trollstigen will take you 2,5 hrs with no stops.

From Trollstigen to Valldal and onwards to Øye and back to Ålesund via Sæbø and Ørsta is a total of 5 hrs with no stops.

This is a total of 7,5 hrs with no stops and with no wait for the ferries.

The ferries do run regularly so I would not imagine you would have to wait for long. Just in case calculate another 30 minutes extra in waiting time for the ferries.

You would need lots of stops along the way. 30 minutes at the Trollstigen plateau. 20 minutes at the Gudbrandsjuvet. Probably lunch at Hotel Union at Øye for 1-1.5 hrs. Frequent stops in the Norangsdalen/valley because its so impressive.

Lets say you use 12 hrs. You will have time before the ship leaves Ålesund.

In the worst case scenario the ship will be in Geiranger the next day so you could drive there from Ålesund in 2 hrs.:)

3. Would the weather likely be clearer for the 12:30 bus rather than the 9:30 departure to Mt. Dalsnibba or is it just a matter of chance for any given day?

Who knows :-) Its really difficult to say. But fog do tend to clear later in the day sometimes.

Thanks again and Happy Easter.

Happy Easter to you. Thank you so much for your kind words.

To answer your questions my answers in "red".

I-Cruiser,

We will be in Alesund for 15 hours for our cruise stop and not sure what we should do! would you be able to send me the PDF with suggestions? we are thinking of renting a car and would like to go for a hike but not sure what our best option would be and how difficult it is to drive, rent the car and take the ferry.

email: MMcitarelli87@gmail.com

thanks in advance!

I-Cruiser,

We will be in Alesund for 15 hours for our cruise stop and not sure what we should do! would you be able to send me the PDF with suggestions? we are thinking of renting a car and would like to go for a hike but not sure what our best option would be and how difficult it is to drive, rent the car and take the ferry.

email: MMcitarelli87@gmail.com

thanks in advance!

Hi there - with 15 hrs at your disposal you should rent a car and hit the road.

Have a look at my post below. You can do this or parts of it.

I still have to figure out how to post the PDF here. I belive a kind soul did and/or tried to explain to me how to. I regret to say I failed :D

You have mail.

Hi there - with 15 hrs at your disposal you should rent a car and hit the road.

Have a look at my post below. You can do this or parts of it.

I still have to figure out how to post the PDF here. I belive a kind soul did and/or tried to explain to me how to. I regret to say I failed :D

You have mail.

Hi!

Is there a chance of renting a car on a Sunday??? I found several rental car companies for Aalesund but they all seem to be closed for the weekend? We have been to your beautiful city several times and would like to do something different this time but it seems I'm back to square 1 right now.

Any ideas?

Gotta say I haven't seen 'lovelyjubbly' for ages. Took me back a while! Is there someone else called 'orange drink'?

Thank you Crown Vic

Whilst I remember the frozen jubbly with fondness, my 'handle' is more a play on words linking a past company name with an Only Fools and Horses well known phrase :) Hopefully I'm still one of a kind :D

Thank you Crown Vic

Whilst I remember the frozen jubbly with fondness, my 'handle' is more a play on words linking a past company name with an Only Fools and Horses well known phrase :) Hopefully I'm still one of a kind :D

So...nothing to do with filming around the Bristol area...? Guess we'd better get back to 'Norway'. Cheers...

Hello. Forgive me if I've missed the answer to this in the 53 pages of information on the area... my brain is slowly filling with information about my upcoming cruise!

I've rented a car online through Budget, which I understand is located in the 7-11 store not far from the dock.

My question is... I've gotten a quote for less than $40 USD for a day rental (I plan on driving to the Troll Road)... and that seems awfully cheap for Norway! It is just a small Hyundai... but it is just me, so I don't need tonnes of room!

Has anyone rented a car in Alesund that would mind telling me what they paid, or if the price I've been quoted is really true??

Thanks,

Carmen

Hi Carmen:

That sounds about right as we've reserved one with Budget and has a base price of $47.00 + .76 taxes and fees + $11 for insurance.

We are also driving to the Troll Road.

Linda

Edited by linderbelle

I live in Ålesund and are more than happy to help you with any questions you might have visiting Ålesund and the Norwegian Fjords.

There are some really informative threads already on the board and I have compiled a few here.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1781806

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1965567

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1350812

Hit me with those questions:D....either here or start another thread.

Lets start planning your perfect stay in Norway.

Hi,

I have a question about our stop in Alesund! We are on the msKonningsdam this summer and I am excited to finally be coming to Norway for the first time. I can not decide between just enjoying our day in Alesund or taking advantage of the ship's tour: "About the Excursion

Take a short sightseeing tour of Ålesund city, passing the town of Spjelkavik en route to Sjøholt village.

From Sjøholt, you’ll follow the shoreline of Storfjord, enjoying beautiful scenes from the road. You are now in an area known for both salmon fishing and furniture making. The furniture crafted here is exported all over the world. In Stordal alone there are several furniture factories.

Pass the old, octagonal Stordal Church (1789) and through Liabygd and Valldal, renowned for growing sweet strawberries. You will follow the valley towards Trollstigen (the Troll Path), passing the impressive Gudbrandsjuvet Gorge. On top of the mountain you can still see signs of the old road built in 1028 by Viking King Olav.

In the center of the Trolltindene mountain range you will stop for a typical Norwegian buffet lunch of hot and cold dishes, desserts and coffee. A bottle of mineral water or light beer is included per person.

From the highest point on the road, at 2,800 feet above sea level, you will drive the famous Troll Path with its 11 exciting hairpin bends leading down to Isterdalen Valley. Stop to visit the famous Troll Wall -- well known to mountaineers all over the planet. This wall has the highest overhang in Europe and is visited by world-famous climbers every summer.

Pass Romsdalsfjord and the picturesque villages of Innfjorden, Mandalen, Vagstrand and Vikebukt before crossing Orskog Mountain to join the main road back to Ålesund"

Which do you recommend? I am thinking if we stay in town we will hike, visit museums and enjoy the beautiful scenery rather than be on a bus all day??

Thanks!

Was in Norway 3 years ago so we have visited Flam, Alesund and Bergen

This time we also go to Trodheim, Stavanger, Honningsvag, Geiranger and Eidfjord.

Have been reading the posts but most info is on Alesund, Flam and Geiranger.

Can anyone give me some ideas of what to do at these ports? We won't rent a car as my hubby would be scared to drive.

We loved Norway and very excited to see more.

Thanks in advance to any and all suggestions.