Sydney Port - Cabot Trail?

I am researching things to do during port days for our cruise departing 9/23/14 on RCCL Legend of the Seas from New Jersey to Quebec City. We like to do ports on our own or with small private tours.

In Sydney, Nova Scotia, is renting a car and driving a portion of the Cabot Trail an option? Not the entire thing, but perhaps a portion with stops for short hikes and a picnic.

Other recommendations? I really can't find other interesting ideas, although we are happy just going for a long walk if the area is pleasant. We don't particularly like city crowds or traffic. I'm not clear if this port is a nice seaside town or more of an industrial area. BTW, we don't care for shopping.

Appreciate comments and ideas.

Sydney NS was built as a coal town so it is more industrial. There is a modest but nice cruise terminal but your idea to rent a car is probably the best choice. Last summer that is what we did both times we were in Sydney (we were on a b2b). The first time we headed to Bedeck. This might be an option to consider. It is a pretty town. We didn't explorer too much, because we were mostly focused on the Alexander Graham Bell museum but we did take a walk afterwards and I wished we'd had more time to look around. Our second time in Sydney we Fortress of Louisbourg. Louisbourg is amazing but we felt much more pressed for time that day. And I've heard that Louisbourg isn't as good in September when the kids have gone back to school as they don't have as many costumed actors around.

Baddeck is a good choice and this is a scenic route to take: https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Sydney,+NS+B1P+1A1&daddr=Baddeck,+NS+to:Iona,+NS+to:Christmas+Island,+NS+to:Destination+Cape+Breton+Association,+Sydney+Marine+Terminal,+Sydney,+NS+B1P+1A1&hl=en&sll=46.14825,-60.203319&sspn=0.00721,0.021136&geocode=FSgcwAIdzmNp_CmTkRO0KuVnSzF_0zNYc7qlyA%3BFc1tvwIdDPVg_CnPkSNJLGJdSzHz0SeXSM56XA%3BFZJPvQIdijBg_Cl3_U_XX2hdSzG-umoFiqZDow%3BFRVTvQIdPNpg_CmLNVmJ_mddSzHgrABkv7cAyg%3BFeQpwAIdzF5p_CGQbhrxmTgVbg&mra=ls&t=m&z=10

You can do part of the Cabot Trail. See post #97 here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1769976&page=5

Here is a map: https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Sydney,+NS+Esplanade+%26+York+St&daddr=Keltic+Lodge,+Ingonish,+NS+to:Ingonish,+NS+to:Neils+Harbour,+NS&hl=en&sll=46.458105,-60.37966&sspn=0.959258,2.705383&geocode=FTcUwAIdmXFp_Cnz_heoLvtnSzHjxX5ZuAOCNw%3BFQuvxwIdJU5m_CHEwR7t5eevTSkXP-57e6xnSzHEwR7t5eevTQ%3BFfC6yAIdIttm_Cl5yCvys1RmSzFvNuIPCctS8w%3BFUo_ygIdypJn_CnRl4vg0ldmSzGQGjYJE8iOlQ&oq=neil&mra=ls&t=m&z=9

Here is another old thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1687976

I agree that you should leave Louisbourg for when it is fully open. Come back on a land trip. Cape Breton is fabulous.

Check out Tom's Port Guides: https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Sydney,+NS+B1P+1A1&daddr=Baddeck,+NS+to:Iona,+NS+to:Christmas+Island,+NS+to:Destination+Cape+Breton+Association,+Sydney+Marine+Terminal,+Sydney,+NS+B1P+1A1&hl=en&sll=46.14825,-60.203319&sspn=0.00721,0.021136&geocode=FSgcwAIdzmNp_CmTkRO0KuVnSzF_0zNYc7qlyA%3BFc1tvwIdDPVg_CnPkSNJLGJdSzHz0SeXSM56XA%3BFZJPvQIdijBg_Cl3_U_XX2hdSzG-umoFiqZDow%3BFRVTvQIdPNpg_CmLNVmJ_mddSzHgrABkv7cAyg%3BFeQpwAIdzF5p_CGQbhrxmTgVbg&mra=ls&t=m&z=10

I am not sure when we will be returning next to Sydney... We have a lot of driving planned for the other ports, We aren't crazy about crowds, and don't mind self-touring. Hubbie is a history buff...

So in a roundabout way I guess what I am asking is whether or not we would be disappointed if we took a chance on Louisbourg in September...the "shoulder season" even with the reduced services? I've poured over Tom's Port guide and the Canadian Government publication he recommended, and it seemed like there was plenty to see on our own???

We were at Louisbourg in July so I can't really comment on it in September. The website suggest there is reduced services at the Fort (and a reduced fee) from mid-October to mid-May so you might be OK in September.

Our problems with the day was that by the time we got the rental car organized, drove to Louisbourg, obtained tickets and took the shuttle bus to the fort, we only had a few hours to look around before we had to reverse the process. There are no fast food options for lunch so we had a choice between taking nearly all our available time to have a very cool looking period meal, or making a lunch out of apple turnovers and cookies from the coffee bar. We choose the later so we'd have time to actually explore the fort.

Louisbourg is an amazing partial reconstruction of the original French fortified town. It was made from the plans archived in France and also based on the archaelogical information found in situ. I have not been there in the shoulder of off season but there are some reports that it is still interesting. It is more than interesting when fully open with people in character to explain who lived in each building and what they did and it is great to eat in the 1744 pub or restaurant.

If you do some research ahead you should find it interesting. There should be places for lunch in the village of Louisbourg, or you could pack a sandwich.

http://vacay.ca/2012/12/louisbourg-best-place-to-visit-in-2013/

If you think you will never be back this may be worthwhile, but you will love scenic, laid-back Cape Breton. There are no crowds and next to no traffic. It is a great place to come for a land trip.

The scenic drive to Baddeck is lovely and there will be little, if any, traffic. The same goes for the Cabot Trail.

Check out post #97 for a description of taking part of the Cabot Trail: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1769976&page=5

• 1 month later...
I am not sure when we will be returning next to Sydney... We have a lot of driving planned for the other ports, We aren't crazy about crowds, and don't mind self-touring. Hubbie is a history buff...

So in a roundabout way I guess what I am asking is whether or not we would be disappointed if we took a chance on Louisbourg in September...the "shoulder season" even with the reduced services? I've poured over Tom's Port guide and the Canadian Government publication he recommended, and it seemed like there was plenty to see on our own???

The Fort is just one of the highlights of Louisburg. I'm not knocking Baddeck because the drive to Baddeck is gorgeous. Besides the Fort there is a gorgeous lighthouse with trails all along the coast. There is also a hidden beach called Kennington Cove. September would be perfect as the restaurants and shops would still be open and not as busy. It's easy to get to. They are both good choices.

Besides the Fort there is a gorgeous lighthouse with trails all along the coast. There is also a hidden beach called Kennington Cove. September would be perfect as the restaurants and shops would still be open and not as busy. It's easy to get to. They are both good choices.

Thanks for the help! My gut tells me that's really where we want to go and I think the reduced services will suit us just fine. I did a quick read-up on the beach and it sounds great (if we have any time left...)

How close is the car rental pickup from the port? Does an American driver's license do the trick?

I think the nearest one is less than 2 miles, not too far of a walk but pretty sure most of them pick you up. All car companies will accept US licenses however I would definitely call ahead to reserve. They can be pretty busy when a cruise ship is in.