Walking Poles

shoppern

I am a 60+ cruiser who has some knee problems. I am planning on a trip to Italy in 2014, and know that there will be lots of walking and stair-climbing involved. Has anybody here used walking poles, and do they help relieve the legs somewhat? Thanks for any info or opinion.

I use them,and find one of the big benefits is in keeping your balance on uneven terrain,and thus saving you from falling and reducing strain on your knees and other joints,your back too. They have saved me from falling many times.

They can assist in climbing by providing an extra push from your arms helping reduce muscle strain on your legs.

Mine have removable rubber tips exposing carbide points used off pavement/concrete.

• 2 weeks later...

Prior to my knee replacement, my surgeon recommended the poles to provide some relief. I did not try the poles since my surgery was moved up but am considering them now for rehab. But, I am not sure what the status is for taking them on airplanes. They may need to be in a checked bag. I have found mixed answers, perhaps based on different countries and airports.

We bought some black diamond hiking poles. They fold up - not telescope - to about fifteen inches long. We have taken them in our carryon onto the plane numerous times with no problems. We love them but they are quite spendy.

• 4 weeks later...

I use walking poles (or trekking poles) a lot when walking in the Alps. They certainly do help with balance and security on slopes and when negotiating steep steps., particularly if it is wet or muddy. They relieve pressure on the knees and, if you walk energetically, they give your arms a good workout!

For me they were money well spent. Mine are Leki anti-shock telescopic poles. I'm sure they're available world-wide. They are in three sections, clearly height adjustable, and collapse down to a very manageable size to tuck into or strap onto a rucksack when not needed. I always put them into checked luggage, but it's worth checking with your airline to see if you can take in carry-on.

Margaret

• 3 weeks later...

I have a pair of Urban poles and plan to take them with me on our cruise and trekking around Italy. I love them, and yes they take the weight off my knees onto my shoulders. I took a brief one hour lesson on them, and was great knowing how to properly walk with them. I have snow and also mud above my booties but I just leave the regular booties on my poles.

I would highly recommend them to anyone with issues in walking.... PS mine are telescoping and they go inside each other and they are about 15" max when folded up...

Thanks for the link Firestation 46. That picture of the pole is more of a telescopic cane. Note the handle vs the Walking poles style of handles - it really makes a difference.... picture of mine are attached as my handles have shock absorbers inside the pole that sure helps!

http://www.urbanpoling.com

Hello All,

Agree that poles help keep balance and and I do have a set of Leki, but because of my neuropathy in feet I am looking for a pole that also includes a "seat" so can take some weight off my feet while resting.

Planning on attending Pope's audience at Vatican later this year so need a way to "take the load off my feet" while in St Peter's Square.

Anybody have some insight on what might help and actually works well as seat and walking pole.

Thanks in advance....

• 2 months later...

As to airplanes. Ask your doctor for a note. The Flight Attendants may ask to have them gate checked. or they may put them in the closet. Foldable ones fit in the bag. But if you have a doctor's note, should be no problem.

Another, little known side effect of walking with a pole rather than a cane. You have a tendency to not put your full weight on the pole where a cane is actually at an inconvenient height and may tire you.

I have also found that a walking staff or walking pole sort of forces you to look where you are walking, thus eliminating the tripping over cracks in the sidewalks, low steps, high steps, etc.