Passport: Keep it on the boat for shore excursions?

Matt8085

Our experience is different, as we are Canadians. We had two incidents on our 8-day cruise that tell us to always bring our passports ashore.

1. My companion's card had failed to open our cabin door and Guest Services issued her a duplicate. On re-boarding at St Kitts we discovered the replacement card did not carry her photo, and she had to produce her passport to re-board.

2. On re-boarding the same cruise at San Juan, we were both asked to produce photo ID in addition to our sea pass cards. None of the Americans re-boarding were asked to do this.

Most of the foregoing advice comes from Americans. If your citizenship is not American, our experience is that you should have your passport with you.

Certainly number 1 is a non-issue. The ship won't refuse you boarding just because their ship's card doesn't work. At the most extreme, they might have asked the party with the working card to go and get the passport.

Same for number 2, really. If you're at the gangway and the passport is on board, you aren't going to be kept off.

I'm not American, and unless specifically told in advance that it will be needed, I never carry photo ID - not in Britain, the USA, or anywhere else. It has never been a problem.

Glad to see you all acknowledge the value to the outlaws on BlackMarket. The thieves wash your photo off, put the crooks on, take his 10K or whatever. Black marketer probably learned process in prison print shop. Crook cannot get a legal PP because he is a felon. He can now happily reside in US, continue his crimes, maybe stealing someones SS benefits too with the forged PP. I was told long ago PP is only for transport ID. Local shopkeeper etc. has no rights to ask for PP as identification. If you need PP to get back on ship, they will announce that prior to docking. Happened once at some obscure port in Europe.

Our experience is different, as we are Canadians. We had two incidents on our 8-day cruise that tell us to always bring our passports ashore.

1. My companion's card had failed to open our cabin door and Guest Services issued her a duplicate. On re-boarding at St Kitts we discovered the replacement card did not carry her photo, and she had to produce her passport to re-board.

2. On re-boarding the same cruise at San Juan, we were both asked to produce photo ID in addition to our sea pass cards. None of the Americans re-boarding were asked to do this.Most of the foregoing advice comes from Americans. If your citizenship is not American, our experience is that you should have your passport with you.

I'm not sure which ship you were on but in all of our 17 cruises (Norwegian, Royal Caribbean and Carnival) we have always had to show not on our sea pass cards but our driver's licenses as well. The dock agents, checking these, always takes time to compare the names on both cards. And the people walking ahead of us also had to show both cards.

Edited by lady_cruiser

I'm not sure which ship you were on but in all of our 17 cruises (Norwegian, Royal Caribbean and Carnival) we have always had to show not on our sea pass cards but our driver's licenses as well. The dock agents, checking these, always takes time to compare the names on both cards. And the people walking ahead of us also had to show both cards.

The ship is irrelevant, it's the immigration rules of the country you are calling at. My experience is pretty much the opposite of yours, very rarely have I ever had to have photo ID. It all comes down to where you're cruising.

The only countries I recall having to do this were US, Ukraine, Russia, Romania and Croatia (before they joined the EEC).

Edited by AmoMondo

dsrdsrdsr, you are probably correct that in neither case would we ultimately have been prevented from re-boarding. Yes, it's likely one of us would have been allowed to go back onboard, get the necessary documents, and bring them back to straighten matters out.

However, would you want to hike all the way along the pier, go through ship security, make your way to your cabin, then retrace all those steps to get back to your companion, and then retrace all those footsteps again to re-re-board? That's a lot of walking and beyond that, I'd also find the experience pretty stressful.

I'm not telling anybody to bring their passport ashore. I recounted our recent experiences, and indicated that in future, I will bring my passport with me.

Anniversary, in the case of your 12 year-old, I would ask the ship staff what their advice about photo ID is.

Edited by wassup4565

What are people doing about their children? We are Canadian and the only photo id my 12 y/o has is her passport. I wonder what she will need to show?

Typically, children under the age of 16 are not required to have a photo ID. If you want to her to carry an ID make a photo copy of her passport photo page.

dsrdsrdsr, you are probably correct that in neither case would we ultimately have been prevented from re-boarding. Yes, it's likely one of us would have been allowed to go back onboard, get the necessary documents, and bring them back to straighten matters out.

However, would you want to hike all the way along the pier, go through ship security, make your way to your cabin, then retrace all those steps to get back to your companion, and then retrace all those footsteps again to re-re-board? That's a lot of walking and beyond that, I'd also find the experience pretty stressful.

I'm not telling anybody to bring their passport ashore. I recounted our recent experiences, and indicated that in future, I will bring my passport with me.

Anniversary, in the case of your 12 year-old, I would ask the ship staff what their advice about photo ID is.

In reality, all you needed was a photo ID such as a drivers license, and that will be the case in the future (with a few exceptions...and you will be told about them). What are you going to do if you cruise on an itinerary where the ship holds your passport? It's not that uncommon. Simple answer...take your drivers license, or a photocopy of your passport.

Thanks, I do always bring photocopies of all important documents (passport, health card, credit cards) on any trip. However - and this is just my personal opinion after recent experiences - I wouldn't rely on a photocopy when off the ship. These are foreign countries, with their own travel and immigration policies. I doubt people would get very far in the US or Canada if all they could produce was a photocopy, so I don't assume it's different in other countries just because we got off a ship.

As for the ship holding onto the passport, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Hasn't happened yet, even in Turkey, where CC posters had said the passports would be held.

The only three photo IDs I have are Driver's License, health card and passport, and quite frankly losing any of those would be a big problem. When my wallet was stolen in Canada it was a major headache to replace the DL and the health card. They wouldn't even accept my passport (which had been in the safety deposit box) as proof of my identity. So losing any one of those documents would be equally disastrous to me.

The passport is internationally recognizable because of its size and appearance. Everyone knows what a passport looks like. So that's what I'm taking ashore from now on, and yes, I'm going to be very careful not to lose it or have it stolen.

The OP asked for advice, and I've given mine. Yours is different. The OP can decide what to do.

except for the few countries that require you have it with you, it turns out to be a personal choice and what you feel comfortable with. Not only can a passport be lost or stolen(especially on a beach vacation), if you forget it in your pocket and go swimming with it, it can become void as well. if you are arrested the last thing you want with you is your passport because you probably will never see it again. You can be sure once you open your mouth they will know where you are from. I have seen the concierge on one ship take passports away from people go on shore telling them you won't need these and I'll hold them for you. I have been on ships where the passport was held by the ship(around South America). But in the end its what you feel comfortable with. Mine stays in the safe.

You can be sure once you open your mouth they will know where you are from.

No they won't. I'm a Canadian traveling on a ship in the Caribbean with mostly Americans. Unless I let an "eh" or an "aboot" slip out accidentally...Dude, I can pass!

But more seriously, if I need consular services in a foreign country off the ship, I need the Canadian mission. I'm sure the US consular people, while very nice, won't help me.

Edited by wassup4565

No they won't. I'm a Canadian traveling on a ship in the Caribbean with mostly Americans. Unless I let an "eh" or an "aboot" slip out accidentally...Dude, I can pass!

But more seriously, if I need consular services in a foreign country off the ship, I need the Canadian mission. I'm sure the US consular people, while very nice, won't help me.

Most border officials are more savvy but in any case I would hope that the US consular officials would help! we still owe Canada for their help in Iran and many other places.

I leave my passport in my room safe. I only bring my driver's license with me when I get off the ship.

It fits into my wallet (it is always there), and I can show it if I need to get back on the ship.

If in the very slim chance that I would need some sort of services in the local country, I would either be able to speak for myself, or would be properly identified by my driver's license and boarding card for the ship.

Either way, I leave my passport in the safe so I do not have to worry about it.

We also leave our passports in the room safe, and have only booked excursions through the ship....

This way at least someone knows where we are.

Sea Ya

Good point and another good reason for booking excursions through the ship is simply this: If you're excursion is late returning to the ship and you purchased it from the cruise line, they will wait for you.....if you purchased on shore from a private individual (saving money it's true) they may or may not wait for you......and you are on your own to make it to the next port! Your passport will be turned over to the harbor master so if you get back to the dock and your ship has sailed, go directly to his office.

I have both a pasport book and the card. Could I carry the card on shore and leave the book in the safe?

Do I need both on the cruise?

I only plan ship excursions and keep everything in a front pocket.

Carnival Elation: this Saturday :D

I have both a pasport book and the card. Could I carry the card on shore and leave the book in the safe?

You don't need both. You could bring the book and leave the card at home if you wish.

Yes, you can leave the book in the safe and take the card ashore if you wish. If you do take the card with you, it won't be necessary to take an ID such as a drivers license ashore.

Edited by njhorseman

I leave my passport in my room safe. I only bring my driver's license with me when I get off the ship.

It fits into my wallet (it is always there), and I can show it if I need to get back on the ship.

If in the very slim chance that I would need some sort of services in the local country, I would either be able to speak for myself, or would be properly identified by my driver's license and boarding card for the ship.

Either way, I leave my passport in the safe so I do not have to worry about it.

I'm not trying to be mean or difficult, but I want you consider this. You're from Mass, and your fellow passengers are from many other states in the US, and your drivers' licenses all probably look different. And actually, they are only licenses to drive a car. Not be a citizen, importantly - just drive a car.

How would you feel about American border control letting a person into the USA with an Iranian, or a Jamaican, or a Russian photo driver's license? Because that's what you expect your experience should be traveling to foreign countries in the Caribbean. Just show your driver's license. Or do you think your drive's license is somehow different and better? You should hope the people in the foreign country feel as affectionate about your driver's license as you do. And you might question why they would. It's a f'n driver's license, dude.

Edited by wassup4565

Most border officials are more savvy but in any case I would hope that the US consular officials would help! we still owe Canada for their help in Iran and many other places.

Yes the border and consular officials in both countries help citizens in trouble in foreign countries - but it's a gentlemen's agreement. If I was stranded in a foreign country and I couldn't reach Canadian consular help, I'd call the US mission next, and truly believe they'd help me - as I hope any US citizen in trouble would receive help by calling the Canadian mission. Neighbours help each other.

But the subject of this thread is the passport, and the question is can you get consular or other help in a foreign country with your driver's license? Sure, probably sooner or later. But if you have a f'n passport and you are going around in a foreign country, why wouldn't you have it with you? What, you think it`s a museum piece?

I don`t get you guys, you pay for a fn passort and then you want to lock it in a box??? While you`re in a foreign country??? What did you think you were going to do with it - press it under glass???

I'm not trying to be mean or difficult, but I want you consider this. You're from Mass, and your fellow passengers are from many other states in the US, and your drivers' licenses all probably look different. And actually, they are only licenses to drive a car. Not be a citizen, importantly - just drive a car.

How would you feel about American border control letting a person into the USA with an Iranian, or a Jamaican, or a Russian photo driver's license? Because that's what you expect your experience should be traveling to foreign countries in the Caribbean. Just show your driver's license. Or do you think your drive's license is somehow different and better? You should hope the people in the foreign country feel as affectionate about your driver's license as you do. And you might question why they would. It's a f'n driver's license, dude.

No one is letting anyone into their country with just a drivers license. Don't you remember that you had to have proper proof of citizenship (such as your passport) in order to board your cruise at your original embarkation port? If you didn't have it you would have been left at the dock. The ship creates a passenger manifest with all the proper citizenship information for its passengers and in most places in the world that is all the local authorities need to clear the ship and its passengers to enter their country. There are very few countries that require a cruise ship passenger to actually show or carry their passport in order to get off the ship and visit the country. Don't you remember that no one asked you for your passport when you got off in anywhere in the Caribbean? You just had your ship's card scanned and walked down the gangway. There were no local immigration officials checking your documents. They already had your citizenship information from the passenger manifest.

When you reboarded the ship you needed a photo ID, not a passport, and that was strictly for the purpose of ascertaining that the person entering the cruise pier with a cruise card in their hand was actually the person named on that card. In other words they're matching the face on the photo ID with the face of the person standing in front of them and then the name on the ID with the name printed on the ship's key card. All they're trying to stop is an unauthorized person holding a lost or stolen card from entering the cruise terminal. It has absolutely nothing to do with citizenship. Then when you board the ship itself your picture shows up on the computer screen when your ship's room key is scanned.

You may not be trying to be mean or difficult, but you apparently don't understand the process of what documents are being checked at the pier and why.

Edited by njhorseman

Yes the border and consular officials in both countries help citizens in trouble in foreign countries - but it's a gentlemen's agreement. If I was stranded in a foreign country and I couldn't reach Canadian consular help, I'd call the US mission next, and truly believe they'd help me - as I hope any US citizen in trouble would receive help by calling the Canadian mission. Neighbours help each other.

But the subject of this thread is the passport, and the question is can you get consular or other help in a foreign country with your driver's license? Sure, probably sooner or later. But if you have a f'n passport and you are going around in a foreign country, why wouldn't you have it with you? What, you think it`s a museum piece?

I don`t get you guys, you pay for a fn passort and then you want to lock it in a box??? While you`re in a foreign country??? What did you think you were going to do with it - press it under glass???

There are only a small number of countries that require foreign visitors to carry their passports, so in almost all cases carrying your passport is not a legal requirement.

Yes, in fact you do want to lock it in a box because it's safe there... you won't lose it or have it stolen. In fact the US Department of State specifically recommends that you keep your passport locked in your hotel room safe or safe deposit box and not carry it with you if you're not required to. I suspect Canadian officials make a similar recommendation.

A Driver's license is has two purposes. One is a license to drive a car yes. The second is a method of identifying that you are who you say you are. If the name on the license if Joe Smith, and your picture is on there, then there is some reasonable understanding that you are Joe Smith. It does not say that you are a US citizen, but it says that your name is Joe Smith.

The United States has already validated you with your passport when you board the ship. They have validated that you are Joe Smith who is a United States Citizen before they take your picture when you are boarding. Therefore your entry into foreign countries has already been validated with your passport. When you attempt to get back onto the ship, the first pass is some sort of "security theater" as I call it when they check the ID versus the name on the cruise card. If that picture matches, then and only then are you allowed to go towards the ship. Then when you board the ship, and put your sea card into the ship's scanner, your picture appears on the monitor, and they verify it is you from the very recent picture.

Nobody could possibly violate that security because you would need some sort of ID that matches the name and the illegal person's picture (which would be easy to obtain), but then would have to also match the person who got on the ship a few days ago (yeah right!) when they enter the ship.

If something does happen to you in a port, an American consulate can easily locate your passport information electronically based on a name.

It depends on where you're going! If you're going to the Caribbean, and I'm assuming you are, then the passport card is sufficient, however if you're going to ports in South America, it may not be. Carnival should be giving you very specific information as to what THEY will require to let you board the ship at the port of your embarkation. Don't assume anything because if you do not have the proper ID they will NOT let you board the ship. and I know they stick by this because one of our group packed his passport in his suitcase and they gave him a really hard time. We were going from Alaska to Vancouver and he was finally allowed to board after all of us vouched for him and swore that he had a valid passport and was merely stupid. He had one hour to produce his passport or be put off the ship at the first american port. in addition, he would not be allowed to get off the ship in any foreign (Canadian) port until he found and presented his passport, which of course, he did...But the point is, don't take anyone's word for it, ask Carnival what they will accept and then do what they tell you to!:)