Maya Key scheduling with Carnival

wantocruisemore

Just purchased the Maya Key excursion through carnival and it indicated it would be from 10am to 2pm. We're in port from 9am to 6 pm. We had planned too stay at least til 4pm to make the most of the day. We chose Maya Key primarily for the snorkeling, but it also had some animals for the kids.

Those of you who have gone with Carnival, did you have to come back early?

If not, how did you do it?

Exactly how does Carnival handle the transportation?

you board a boat near the pier and ride over to maya key. we were there in november on the majic and were very pleased with the trip. it was just my wife and i and we wanted to just relax. i am an avid snorkeler so i also wanted to see the reef. the island was immaculate and not overcrowded at all. the facilities were very well maintained. the staff was welcoming and engaging. the food they served was excellent, however, my ONLY complaint was that they had those cheesy sporks to eat with. the kind you give kindergarteners. definitely take plastic utensils with you! the reef is just as advertised. i spent about an hour in the water not long after we got there. after resting for an hour or so by the pool i went back out and went to the drop off where i did some deeper diving for a second hour. by then most of the folks that weren't that experienced had gotten out. i was pretty blown after that second hour. we left at the designated time and were really ready to go. we spent some time at the port looking around and had a leisurly time getting back to the ship. the experience was what we wanted. uncomplicated and relaxing with a chance for me to get some reef time.

Edited by lifes-a-beach

you board a boat near the pier and ride over to maya key. we were there in november on the majic and were very pleased with the trip. it was just my wife and i and we wanted to just relax. i am an avid snorkeler so i also wanted to see the reef. the island was immaculate and not overcrowded at all. the facilities were very well maintained. the staff was welcoming and engaging. the food they served was excellent, however, my ONLY complaint was that they had those cheesy sporks to eat with. the kind you give kindergarteners. definitely take plastic utensils with you! the reef is just as advertised. i spent about an hour in the water not long after we got there. after resting for an hour or so by the pool i went back out and went to the drop off where i did some deeper diving for a second hour. by then most of the folks that weren't that experienced had gotten out. i was pretty blown after that second hour. we left at the designated time and were really ready to go. we spent some time at the port looking around and had a leisurly time getting back to the ship. the experience was what we wanted. uncomplicated and relaxing with a chance for me to get some reef time.

When you signed up what time was your excursion? Did you sign up for Maya Key with lunch or the higher priced with snorkel? We signed up for the one with lunch because we have our own snorkel gear.

How was the snorkeling itself?

Also, when returning to the ship, how was that handled? Did you have to meet at certain time or was it flexible?

ours was at 9am i think. there was a later one i know. i had my own gear. everyone was told to meet near where the boat picks up at whatever time it was (i don't really remember). its right by the gift shop and there were chairs to sit on along the front porch. departure was not flexible. if you were on the first boat there you were expected to leave on the first one. they give you a colored wrist band (which they marked when you got your lunch).

oh and the snorkeling was great. plenty of marine life and the colors were pretty vivid. its impossible to get too turned around as there are markers. since the pier goes out to the reef there is very little swimming before you're right in the middle of it. the drop off out at the edge is worth the trip. i thoroughly enjoyed it. better than brewers bay in tortola and almost as good as cemetary reef in grand cayman.

• 4 weeks later...
When you signed up what time was your excursion? Did you sign up for Maya Key with lunch or the higher priced with snorkel? We signed up for the one with lunch because we have our own snorkel gear.

How was the snorkeling itself?

Also, when returning to the ship, how was that handled? Did you have to meet at certain time or was it flexible?

Wantocruisemore: I have pictures of Maya Key in my signature line below - in my review of the Magic, and the review of Maya Key. The snorkeling is AWESOME! The best I've ever experienced. And, it was so easy to do it too. They have a long pier built that you walk out on (a picture of it is in my Magic review I believe) and you enter the water there, and you are in the reef. It is just gorgeous.

We also have our own snorkel gear, so we just paid for the beach & lunch. When our ship docked, we walked up the ramp into the shopping area, and there were guys everywhere with signs for the different Carnival excursions. We found the Maya Key sign quickly, and he put a paper bracelet on us & told us to meet him at the center fountain in about 30 minutes. We shopped around the port until we met him. Then he walked us up the ramp that also leads to Mahogany Beach, and then we went off trail a little to where a little ferry was docked & boarded it. Our ride over to the island was about 10-15 minutes. Once on Maya Key we were met by an employee who told us about all the things we could do on the island. They have the beach, snorkeling, nature walk to see the rescued animals, the faux Mayan ruins, the shark snorkel, and where lunch will be etc. (I have pictures in my reviews).

We immediately went to snorkel first. Then we got out for lunch. My DH decided to do the shark snorkel after that, and I walked around and looked at the animals. Then we snorkeled again. By then, it was about time to go back to the ship - and it had started raining really hard too. So, our ferry came about 30 minutes early to start taking passengers back to the port. But, we had a very good time on Maya Key, and did not feel like we had not got to do all we wanted.

Once back at the port, we went back aboard ship to clean up a little and wash the salt water off of us and change clothes. Then we went back to the shopping area and shopped until almost boarding time. It was a very nice, relaxing day. We enjoyed Roatan a LOT. I would love to go down there sometime and just stay at Roatan for a week or so. The snorkeling was just awesome, and it would be great to see more!

Be sure to look at my pictures in my review. There is a lot more information about things in those reviews also. Just click on the links below in my signature line. And feel free to ask questions!

Edited by 2Okies

Thanks so much for the review. The photos are great! We have our own gear too and are really looking forward to going.mmwe just want to be able to stay as long as possible.

Was there more than 1 ferry coming back?

Were you the only ship in port that day? There are a couple of ships in Roatan that day so that might impact our travel.

Thanks so much for the review. The photos are great! We have our own gear too and are really looking forward to going.mmwe just want to be able to stay as long as possible.

Was there more than 1 ferry coming back?

Were you the only ship in port that day? There are a couple of ships in Roatan that day so that might impact our travel.

We were on Magic, and the Dream was also at our port. As far as I know, passengers from those two ships were all that were at Maya Key. I think only Carnival ships go to Maya Key. Like I said, it started raining really hard about 1pm, so the ferry came about 1:30 instead of 2, but we didn't catch the first one. Then the next ferry came, and they let all the remaining Dream passengers get on first, because they had to get back to their ship before we did (they were on a different time zone). Then, what Magic passengers that could get on were allowed on. There were still some waiting when we left on that 2nd ferry. So...yes, there is more than 1 ferry. BUT, I think you are supposed to be in line to go when your ferry time is scheduled. (They will tell you that when you first get on the island) You can't stay longer, even if the ship is in port longer. They were really good about making sure all those Dream passengers got on the ferry so they could make it back on time, so I'm sure they would be hustling you along if you didn't get to the dock.

We got to snorkel about an hour two different times, and that really does make you tired. (Even though it was the most awesome snorkeling ever!) So, we were pooped by then. Plus, my husband had done the shark snorkel too. We got to do plenty of stuff while we were there. It would have been nice to stay longer, but you have to get on the ferry and go back. :(

We enjoyed our time looking around the shops at the port by the ship later, also. They had a lot of little "market" type shops that looked like they were run by the locals. We got a few really nice wood things. I bought a beautiful salad bowl that came w/the forks & 6 little bowls for $35. My husband got a beautifully carved rose-wood cane for his step dad for $23. They have some really beautiful wood items.

Thanks, we were in Roatan last sept. But did Victor Bodden's Fun n Sun tour. We got to the port in time for only about 10 min worth of shopping. I would definitely like a little time to look around there.

Also, I have seen photos with a board at Maya key that gave schedules of stuff for each ship. In that photo they listed NCL and RCCL, so other lines do go too.

I've been combing this forum for photos.

Thanks, it was actually your review and photos that tipped the scale for us to book Maya Key. :)

Well I hope you have a wonderful time.

I'm not sure how Carnival does it, we went with NCL and we were able to go whenever we wanted (but then again, we are docked right there in front of Maya Key and it was like a 5 minute boat ride).