Olympics on during our cruise... any viewing options?

popcan

One unfortunate thing about the timing of our cruise is that the Olympics begin just a few days after we embark.

I'm ok with simple updates for most of it - but being die-hard Canadian Hockey fans, DW and I are wondering if we will be able to view any of the games on board. Particularly the medal rounds!

Do you think we might be able to tune in via the TV in our room, or at one of the bars?

If any games are shown on ESPN, it likely will be shown on board.

If it is network, the ship will have to pay to bring the satellite signal down. They may or may not. IF it is possible to get reception for both NFL/Olympics which is not always possible, it is costly so ship may not do it.

Also....... if SuperBowl is shown, it will not be shown with advertisements. We've been aboard several times and we didn't see the 'infamous' ads. :D

Edited by sail7seas

If any games are shown on ESPN, it likely will be shown on board.

If it is network, the ship will have to pay to bring the satellite signal down. They may or may not. IF it is possible to get reception for both NFL/Olympics which is not always possible, it is costly so ship may not do it.

Also....... if SuperBowl is shown, it will not be shown with advertisements. We've been aboard several times and we didn't see the 'infamous' ads. :D

My own personal experience has been if it's not on ESPN, it's not shown on board. I've been on board and tried to get the Kentucky Derby (my boss owned a horse running that year) and Saints Games. The Derby was carried by NBC, and the Saints on CBS or Fox. Neither were shown on board. I had to content myself with highlights and crawlers at the bottom of the ESPN channel in either the bars or on my cabin television.

I'm sorry to say, it's probably not likely that you'll find too much non-highlight Olympic coverage. And the NFL Playoffs are on CBS, so I would be very surprised if you get those live.

I'm sorry to say, it's probably not likely that you'll find too much non-highlight Olympic coverage. And the NFL Playoffs are on CBS, so I would be very surprised if you get those live.

I wouldn't expect any coverage of the Olympics, except what ESPN has---minimal.

As to the NFL Divisional Championships and Superbowl, though, I would expect to see them. The ships will purchase satellite time to broadcast them, without a doubt.

I have been on various HAL ships during the divisional championships at least a couple of times, and the Superbowl at least three times (some were the same cruises) in the last several years. There were TVs set up in places like the Northern Lights (Noordam), The Mix (Veendam), Sports Bar (Rotterdam, before the renovation), Wajang Theater (Veendam). There were tables of food set out for nice "tailgate" parties. A big thing was made of it.

I wouldn't expect any coverage of the Olympics, except what ESPN has---minimal.

As to the NFL Divisional Championships and Superbowl, though, I would expect to see them. The ships will purchase satellite time to broadcast them, without a doubt.

I have been on various HAL ships during the divisional championships at least a couple of times, and the Superbowl at least three times (some were the same cruises) in the last several years. There were TVs set up in places like the Northern Lights (Noordam), The Mix (Veendam), Sports Bar (Rotterdam, before the renovation), Wajang Theater (Veendam). There were tables of food set out for nice "tailgate" parties. A big thing was made of it.

Thanks Ruth C...that gives me hope!