Handling luggage first class train Termini to Florence and return?

lanceholt

We will be traveling from Rome Termini to Florence, plan to buy first class tickets. How easy is it to deal with our luggage boarding/getting off the train as well as where do we store it while on the train. We're in our later 60's, can put our wheeled carry ons on the overhead if necessary but not our 40-50 lb large suitcases.

We traveled first class from Rome to Mestre with a stop in Florence a few years ago.

There will be two or three steps up from floor level to car level. I stay on the ground and place the luggage on the train while Nan grabs it and moves it to the side until we're both onboard. In first class, there was a luggage rack about mid-car. If you board early, you can put your larger bags on that rack.

By the way, we purchased 4-wheeled polycarbonate spinner luggage a few years ago that are fantastic for train travel and cruising. Being able to navigate narrow spaces in any direction is a big plus.

Lew

Yes, we do the same, but it's still a hassle. Obviously the heavier the bags the harder it is. First class doesn't add much, it's a little less crowded but otherwise not a huge difference. It is highly recommended to pack as lightly as you can. We learned that the hard way but it has made our traveling lives a lot easier. We now travel with one 24" suitcase each, and occasionally a rollaboard depending on our itinerary. Trust me, it's worth wearing the same outfits more than once to keep your sanity!

Agree with Cathy. If we were to write a primer on handling luggage on European trains it would be quite simple. Assume that you will have to handle all your own luggage from the train station entrance (where you might be dropped by a taxi) until you get into a taxi (or other transportation) at your destination. It is likely that nobody is going to help you with anything! With large luggage on a train you may have to leave your luggage at the end of a car, or near your compartment..which means you must keep an eye on it all the time and be very alert whenever your near a station. Some folks like to purchase a luggage cable lock that allows them to cable multiple pieces of luggage together (making it difficult for anyone to snatch and grab the luggage). DW and I do a lot of European travel and actually prefer rental cars to trains for many reasons...among them the ease of moving luggage in the trunk (boot) of an automobile.

Hank

Thanks, we have 1 24" and plan to get another. My husband has a CPAP which he can attach to his wheeled bag and I am shopping for a small rolling under seat bag that I can do the same with. We both have mostly clothes we can wash in the sink and dry overnight, not a cheap investment to start but we'll worth it we have found.

Hank, long ago I traveled to the UK wiki my daughter and we learned the hard way about having to haul our own everywhere. We are planning train from Rome to Florence, after private car from Citavecchia, understand re the car rental, will at least check it out.

Thanks, we have 1 24" and plan to get another. My husband has a CPAP which he can attach to his wheeled bag and I am shopping for a small rolling under seat bag that I can do the same with. We both have mostly clothes we can wash in the sink and dry overnight, not a cheap investment to start but we'll worth it we have found.

Hank, long ago I traveled to the UK wiki my daughter and we learned the hard way about having to haul our own everywhere. We are planning train from Rome to Florence, after private car from Citavecchia, understand re the car rental, will at least check it out.

I think I should be more clear about rental cars. As much as DW and I love having a car in Italy, we would not rent a car to simply go between Rome and Florence. In fact, Rome is about the only place in Italy where I do not want to have to deal with a car given the traffic, one way streets, ZTLs (a big problem), etc. Your thinking sounds good in that you are already trying to figure out the best way to pack and deal with luggage.

As to getting from Civitavecchia to Florence, we have driven this route a couple of times and it works well for us when we are planning to spend some time in Italy and want to have a car. The actual driving time is only about 3 hours (often faster then dealing with the trains) and one can take some time and perhaps enjoy a diversion over to Orvieto which is not far off the route. One-way rental cars are sometimes not a big issue in Italy (especially if you rent for 3 or more days). When we drive to Florence we generally like to stay at the Hotel David..where they have free parking (plus we like this charming little inn-like hotel).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

On this particular route you do have luggage options.

If you don't need your stuff the same day as you arrive you can ship it right to your hotel for 20 Euro for the first bag and 15 Euro for the second.

Alternately, you can pre-book a porter to help you with your bags for only 5 Euro.

Information on both of these services is available on the Trenitalia site here: http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=9c29eb82a8fbf310VgnVCM1000008916f90aRCRD