What are your Favorite Cruise Ship Movies?

cruiserking

Since you now have a tv list started ...

Designing Women had an episode where they got to redecorate an old tub of a cruise ship. I don't remember too many details, but it was pretty funny.

And what about Columbo ... he took his wife on an anniversary cruise and of course a body turned up as soon as they were out to sea. Robert Vaughan was the bad guy.

Frasier also had a cruise episode.

The movie "PROMISES! PROMISES! (1963)" was a pretty crappy movie with Jane Mansfield naked in the tub more than once which takes place on a cruise ship. So it was worth it for that reason. ;)

...And of course as has been said before "Love Boat" is required watching on a cruise for me. I bring a season with me on my iPad when I cruise so I can enjoy how small that ship really was. But Cpt. Stubing never seems to be doing any actual work.

Edited by reedl

I've not seen this film either, thanks AKman. Have just added to my movie cue. It was apparently remade in 1994 with Warren Beatty and Annette Bening, but, received less than stellar reviews.

Jonathan

I have seen both. The first version stars Irene Dunne and Charles Boyer, the two work well together and Charles Boyer comes off much more "continental" than Cary Grant does in an affair to remember.

Enjoy.

Jonathan, I will definitely have to see the remake Poseidon, not sure how I missed that! Btw, Richard Dreyfuss lives right around the corner from me.

My 80+ year old parents introduced us to The Legend of 1900. Thanks for that funny clip, ehfl!

Has anyone seen The Love Boat II that came out in early 1977?

Kenneth Branagh plays Ernest Shackleton, the explorer whose ship became frozen in on a Antarctic expedition in the early 1900's.

Definitely not camp but harrowing and inspiring.

Bookish Angel, I loved the gripping book 'ENDURANCE Shackleton's Incredible Voyage' and have seen the Shackleton movie. What an amazing tale of heroism!

Oh, and the movie Perfect Storm creeps me out with the monsterous waves! It involves commercial fishermen (George Clooney, Mark Wahlberg), and will take you for quite a ride on the ocean!

Anyone remember the TV dating game show "Shipmates"? There are some youtube videos, but the show might be considered NSFW.

Has anyone been on a cruise that was filming Shipmates?

Edited by Jimnbigd

I remember a really bad television movie, 5 or 6 years back ... starring Juliana Marguiles (after ER, but before Good Wife) ... some kind of ghostly cruise ship, full of beautiful people, floating in the Bering Sea for years & years ... at the end, she ends up floating on a piece of debris half in the water for a long time ... without even getting frostbite or hypothermia!

Another cruise ship movie about a ghost ship - this one had Jamie Lee Curtis and Donald Sutherland. Some kinds of robots took over the human bodies.

Both really, really bad movies. I only watched them because they take place on ships! I guess that's why I like Deadliest Catch ...

No, they were going to England for the Royal Wedding. Wait, that's it!

Royal Wedding!

Well Done Donder1 thanks for remembering that one, another for the movie rental cue.

A good film that garnered a fair amount of controversy.

Lifeboat is an excellent Hitchcock film. Has anyone see another Hitchcock chestnut Saboteur? For us cruise ship fans there is a shot of the overturned SS Normandie at the Manhattan Cruise Ship Pier following the fire on board. It's rather eerie and sad to see this behemoth ship laying there, very memorable.

Since you now have a tv list started ...

Designing Women had an episode where they got to redecorate an old tub of a cruise ship. I don't remember too many details, but it was pretty funny.

And what about Columbo ... he took his wife on an anniversary cruise and of course a body turned up as soon as they were out to sea. Robert Vaughan was the bad guy.

Frasier also had a cruise episode.

Excellent Lady Chew, the television sub-category has expanded with a variety of small screen favorites.

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

The movie "PROMISES! PROMISES! (1963)" was a pretty crappy movie with Jane Mansfield naked in the tub more than once which takes place on a cruise ship. So it was worth it for that reason. ;)

...And of course as has been said before "Love Boat" is required watching on a cruise for me. I bring a season with me on my iPad when I cruise so I can enjoy how small that ship really was. But Cpt. Stubing never seems to be doing any actual work.

Wow, this is great thanks Reedl. Never heard of this film, will have to rent this one too. It was apparently banned in several cities for its risque nude scenes of Jane Mansfield.

Hilarious observation of Captain Stubing, I never actually recall him controlling the ship just hanging around looking nautical.

Ok, as for cruise ship TV shows, my very favorite is a Twilight Zone

called the "Passage of the Lady Anne"

You can watch it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5hlObQm63w

It's from the 60's and is great.

Superb AKman2495, this is so cool, thanks a million for posting this link. I've seen so many Twilight Zone episodes but, never heard of this one. On the cell phone the actual frame from the show appears while on the pc just the link, can't wait to watch this on my day off.

Great job everybody coming up with these wonderful cruise ship television shows and films!

Jonathan

"Captain's Table", a British movie made in the 50's or 60's. It was filmed on a P&O ship.

Never heard of this one either thanks for posting Shipgeeks.

remember a really bad television movie, 5 or 6 years back ... starring Juliana Marguiles (after ER, but before Good Wife) ... some kind of ghostly cruise ship, full of beautiful people, floating in the Bering Sea for years & years ... at the end, she ends up floating on a piece of debris half in the water for a long time ... without even getting frostbite or hypothermia!

Yes, I remember this one it was called Ghost Ship

from IMDB: A salvage crew that discovers a long-lost 1962 passenger ship floating lifeless in a remote region of the Bering Sea soon notices, as they prepare to tow it back to land, that "strange things" happen...

a pretty terrible film almost good it's so bad, Gabriel Byrne in this clunker along with Julianna Margulies and Ron Eldard.

There was another ghost ship television film with Judd Nelson but, I can't bring myself to include it on our list it was really pathetic. It was called Lost Voyage

Anyone remember the TV dating game show "Shipmates"? There are some youtube videos, but the show might be considered NSFW.

Has anyone been on a cruise that was filming Shipmates?

I remember this tv show Jim. I will have to watch some on youtube when I'm done tracking down the vast list of great television cruise ship shows we've accumulated here!:D

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

Cruise Critics Favorite Cruise Ship Films - 2014

1.) The Poseidon Adventure

2.) Juggernaut

3.) The Lady Eve

4.) Out to Sea

5.) An Affair to Remember

6.) Now Voyager

7.) A Night at the Opera

8.) Ship of Fools

9.) The Legend of 1900

10.) A Night to Remember

11.) Titanic

12.) Dangerous Crossing

13.) Carry On Cruising

14.) Death on the Nile

15.) The Cat's Meow

16.) Shall We Dance

17.) Boat Trip

18.) Bitter Moon

19.) The Last Voyage

20.) Love Affair

21.) Chipwrecked

22.) Beyond the Poseidon Adventure

23.) Poseidon

24.) Jack & Jill - for Allure of the Seas scenes

25.) Royal Wedding

26.) Saboteur - For SS Normandie capsized in NY Harbor

27.) Lifeboat

28.) Captain's Table

29.) Promises, Promises

30.) Ghost Ship

Cruise Critics Favorite Television Cruise Ship Episodes

1.) I Love Lucy - Bon Voyage

2.) The Love Boat

3.) The Love Boat II

4.) Keeping Up Appearances - Sea Fever

5.) Shackleton

6.) Columbo - Troubled Waters

7.) Frasier - Voyage of the Damned

8.) Designing Women - Cruising

9.) The Twilight Zone - Passage of the Lady Anne

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

During World War II the passenger liner "Goliath" is sunk by a German submarine. Portions of the ship's hull remain airtight, and some of the passengers and crew survive. Over the decades they build a rigidly regulated society completely isolated from the surface world, until in contemporary times a diving team begins to explore the wreck. (copied from IMDB.com)

The location details say some scenes were filmed aboard the Queen Mary.

I remember seeing this on tv in the early 80's and liking it. I wonder if I would like it now, being a bit of a film buff and rather anal about production values, probability, anachronisms, etc.

This is a FUN thread! Nary a snarky comment.

Edited by Bookish Angel

During World War II the passenger liner "Goliath" is sunk by a German submarine. Portions of the ship's hull remain airtight, and some of the passengers and crew survive. Over the decades they build a rigidly regulated society completely isolated from the surface world, until in contemporary times a diving team begins to explore the wreck. (copied from IMDB.com)

I remember seeing this on tv in the early 80's and liking it. I wonder if I would like it now, being a bit of a film buff and rather anal about production values, probability, anachronisms, etc.

I've heard of this film but, never seen it, thanks a lot for posting Bookish Angel, it sounds really interesting. Even better I found a copy of it on Youtube here:

Goliath Awaits

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQcYYJ2qorU

Note: Just ease the scroll back a notch it's starting the film a minute or two in.

We're getting some real chestnuts here, some of these obscure ship films, excellent job everyone!

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

I recall seeing that movie wasn't part of the plot that the ship was rusting and if they didn't get them to leave water would soon break the hull?

I can't believe none of you have mentioned the EXTREMELY silly cruise section of "The Magic Christian" . It's a very over-the-top look at what money will buy , made in 1969 with Peter Sellers and Ringo Starr. Not everyone's cup of tea, and yes, it's pretty dated, but parts of it are lots of fun.

I love to rent a few cruise movies before each voyage. Some of my favorites are

Gene Hackman heads a star-studded cast in this all-time classic adventure of survivors fighting to reach the hull of a capsized liner, filmed in part aboard the Queen Mary.

2.) Juggernaut

A terrific sea going thriller set aboard an ocean liner the real life Maxim Gorkiy. British character actor Roy Kinnear is very memorable as a bumbling cruise director trying to keep the party light during traumatic times.

3) The Lady Eve

A wonderful Preston Sturges screwball comedy of con-artist couple who meet aboard an ocean liner starring Barabara Stanwyck and Henry Fonda.

I Will likely watch all three of these in the next few weeks to stoke the already hot pre-cruise excitement. What are your favorites?

Jonathan

My favorite cruise movie is Ghost Ship.

I can't believe none of you have mentioned the EXTREMELY silly cruise section of "The Magic Christian" . It's a very over-the-top look at what money will buy , made in 1969 with Peter Sellers and Ringo Starr. Not everyone's cup of tea, and yes, it's pretty dated, but parts of it are lots of fun.

Never heard of this film Feathersandnananose, sounds interesting, another film to watch.

Did you miss Perfect Storm? (my post #56).

I never really considered Perfect Storm a cruise ship film, but, it is a very good high seas adventure so I will include it in the list, thanks Jmf123.

Has anyone ever seen the film Table for Five with John Voight. I still haven't seen it, it's rather depressing I hear but, there is a section filmed aboard the QE2.

Another good one no one has brought up is Gentlemen Prefer Blondes directed by Howard Hawkes with Marilyn Monroe and Jane Russell and includes a transatlantic journey, classic movie.

Jonathan

Cruise Critics Favorite Cruise Ship Films - 2014

2.) Juggernaut

3.) The Lady Eve

4.) Out to Sea

5.) An Affair to Remember

6.) Now Voyager

7.) A Night at the Opera

8.) Ship of Fools

9.) The Legend of 1900

10.) A Night to Remember

11.) Titanic

12.) Dangerous Crossing

13.) Carry On Cruising

14.) Death on the Nile

15.) The Cat's Meow

16.) Shall We Dance

17.) Boat Trip

18.) Bitter Moon

19.) The Last Voyage

20.) Love Affair

21.) Chipwrecked

22.) Beyond the Poseidon Adventure

23.) Poseidon

24.) Jack & Jill - for Allure of the Seas scenes

25.) Royal Wedding

26.) Saboteur - For SS Normandie capsized in NY Harbor

27.) Lifeboat

28.) Captain's Table

29.) Promises, Promises

30.) Ghost Ship

31.) Goliath Awaits

32.) The Perfect Storm

33.) The Magic Christian

34.) Table for Five

35.) Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

Jonathan

Ok, as for cruise ship TV shows, my very favorite is a Twilight Zone

called the "Passage of the Lady Anne"

You can watch it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5hlObQm63w

It's from the 60's and is great.

Just watched this episode last night, what a treat, terrific. It was so evocative of old world cruising. For a television show they did a superb job of creating the opulent lounges and public rooms and the exterior portions of the ship in port were very realistic shrouded in just the right amount of fog to obscure any rigging.

Thanks for that AKman.

Jonathan

Just watched this episode last night, what a treat, terrific. It was so evocative of old world cruising. For a television show they did a superb job of creating the opulent lounges and public rooms and the exterior portions of the ship in port were very realistic shrouded in just the right amount of fog to obscure any rigging.

Thanks for that AKman.

Jonathan

I am glad you liked it. Years ago I bought the complete set of Twilight zones and...I decided to watch it again too! I particularly like the muster drill...

It is a timeless episode that is as relevant today as it was some 50 years ago.

Edited by AKman2495

what about Gilligan's Island? We were never allowed to watch it :eek: but weren't they on an excursion of some kind - "a three hour Tour" ? Does that count as a cruise? ;)

Of course, once they were on the island, I guess the cruise was over!