Closest beach to the port

mjkulp00

Just so I have an idea when looking at map of the beaches. Which beach is closest to the pier where the cruise ships are? Also would anyone know approx how much to figure for taxi fare from pier to maho beach, then orient and back to pier for 2 adults and 2 kids??

Just so I have an idea when looking at map of the beaches. Which beach is closest to the pier where the cruise ships are? Also would anyone know approx how much to figure for taxi fare from pier to maho beach, then orient and back to pier for 2 adults and 2 kids??

In Jan 2013 we did the Maho, to Orient to the ship route. I can't remember how much it was, but let me guess on one part. I think it was $30, I think for 2 people, but I can't remember. When we were at Maho, it was very hard to find someone willing to even drive us there. None of the taxis wanted to go all the way over to that side at that time of day. It was around 130. We were able to find a ride with some other people who just wanted an island tour and were happy to go by way of Orient. It was very easy to get a taxi to Maho and from Orient to the ship. Pretty sure those rides were under or around 10$ pp.

From what I hear, the beach by the pier is pretty polluted, but that might just be rumors. It looks nice, it is the one place my daughter and I were offered drugs, and I saw a kids about 8 to 10 years old using the beach as a bathroom, and not just liquid. :eek: The shopping near that beach is fun though.

In Jan 2013 we did the Maho, to Orient to the ship route. I can't remember how much it was, but let me guess on one part. I think it was $30, I think for 2 people, but I can't remember. When we were at Maho, it was very hard to find someone willing to even drive us there. None of the taxis wanted to go all the way over to that side at that time of day. It was around 130. We were able to find a ride with some other people who just wanted an island tour and were happy to go by way of Orient. It was very easy to get a taxi to Maho and from Orient to the ship. Pretty sure those rides were under or around 10$ pp.

From what I hear, the beach by the pier is pretty polluted, but that might just be rumors. It looks nice, it is the one place my daughter and I were offered drugs, and I saw a kids about 8 to 10 years old using the beach as a bathroom, and not just liquid. :eek: The shopping near that beach is fun though.

It is not a rumor that the beach near the pier is polluted. There has been quite a few posts here from some of the local people confirming this.

No way would I swim there......

It is not a rumor that the beach near the pier is polluted. There has been quite a few posts here from some of the local people confirming this.

No way would I swim there......

I kind of figured it's all true, but I didn't want to say without first hand knowledge, other than the kid I saw. Funny they don't do something about the problem.

Great News for Great Bay Water Quality :)

Today's edition of the local newspaper, The Daily Herald, reports that the Nature Foundation has done their bi-annual water testing and the results look good.

They have determined that nitrates (pollution) and phosphates (sewage) are at low levels for both in the samples tested for Great Bay and for Kim Sha Beach, likely spots for cruisers to visit.

Also from the paper:

Despite the fact that many sites showed low to medium readings, the Nature Foundation will follow up on a monthly basis during the upcoming months in order to carefully monitor for changes in the respective levels.

gary

• 1 month later...
Great News for Great Bay Water Quality :)

Today's edition of the local newspaper, The Daily Herald, reports that the Nature Foundation has done their bi-annual water testing and the results look good.

They have determined that nitrates (pollution) and phosphates (sewage) are at low levels for both in the samples tested for Great Bay and for Kim Sha Beach, likely spots for cruisers to visit.

Also from the paper:

Despite the fact that many sites showed low to medium readings, the Nature Foundation will follow up on a monthly basis during the upcoming months in order to carefully monitor for changes in the respective levels.

gary

Has there been any updates lately? We are head to St Maarten on March 18th and have a little one that we would love to be able to leave the guys with her while we shop ;)

Has there been any updates lately? We are head to St Maarten on March 18th and have a little one that we would love to be able to leave the guys with her while we shop ;)

I would just have the dad's taxi over to Little Bay while you shop. Nice Family atmosphere and clean swimming water and fresh water showers, plus they probably still have the parrot that the kids tend to love.:)

I would just have the dad's taxi over to Little Bay while you shop. Nice Family atmosphere and clean swimming water and fresh water showers, plus they probably still have the parrot that the kids tend to love.:)

That is an option. We just arent keen on the baby in a taxi without a car seat :(