Azamara - not again

Burlington ON

An unfortunate engineering problem on our fall Quest cruise has not been resolved fairly, so despite Azamara’s wonderful product, we won’t be returning. A venting problem existed directly below our cabin (6061) that made us unable to use our verandah either in port or at sea. The Guest Relations and Engineering Officers met with us several times onboard and agreed that the smell was intolerable. We were moved to a Club Continent suite for the last two days of the nine day cruise (the suite occupants disembarked early).

We requested a refund of the difference between our verandah cabin and an oceanview cabin for the seven nights we couldn’t use balcony; that sounded fair to us. We love morning coffee on the verandah, reading outside and enjoying a glass of wine before dinner, so we were saddened when we couldn’t step outside.

After two months and a lot of prodding Azamara will not provide a refund. They will credit us with the same amount to be used within one year.

We are not annual cruisers, and we feel this isn’t the right way to treat a customer. Azamara is standing firm so we will part company as unhappy customers.

I have a great TA to take me tru any problems. I have had serious troubles with Azamara onshore, but my TA has always sorted it out. I will never leave Azamara because of its inefficient onshore operations. Mr.Pimentel might have a lot to fix, but the onboard experience is always 5 stars.

If you are dealing with a serious TA the Azamara experience will always be top notch. Trying to get an answer from Azamara itself is a nightmare.

If Mr Pimentel would address this it would be easier for us as customers to get a feedback for what is going on with "our brand".

Right now I feel like the Azamara brand is a secluded ghost in the RCCL marketing and management . :cool:

An unfortunate engineering problem on our fall Quest cruise has not been resolved fairly, so despite Azamara’s wonderful product, we won’t be returning. A venting problem existed directly below our cabin (6061) that made us unable to use our verandah either in port or at sea. The Guest Relations and Engineering Officers met with us several times onboard and agreed that the smell was intolerable. We were moved to a Club Continent suite for the last two days of the nine day cruise (the suite occupants disembarked early).

We requested a refund of the difference between our verandah cabin and an oceanview cabin for the seven nights we couldn’t use balcony; that sounded fair to us. We love morning coffee on the verandah, reading outside and enjoying a glass of wine before dinner, so we were saddened when we couldn’t step outside.

After two months and a lot of prodding Azamara will not provide a refund. They will credit us with the same amount to be used within one year.

We are not annual cruisers, and we feel this isn’t the right way to treat a customer. Azamara is standing firm so we will part company as unhappy customers.

Hi Burlington,

Sorry to hear of your issues. Regarding a refund, it's virtually impossible to expect that, as most cruise lines will only offer a future credit, if anything. That's just the way they do things. From what other members have posted, a 1 year limitation on the cruise credit, is fairly standard as well.

I think your best bet, is to try and use the credit within the 1 year period. If that's totally impossible, I'd contact your TA (or Azamara if you've booked direct), and see if they will offer an extension beyond 1 year.

I hope you're able to arrange an amicable resolution. Good Luck !

Edited by Host Andy

I'm truly sorry to read of your inconvenience and I too would be diappointed if we were unable to use our verandah, but it does seem like they tried their best to please you. Even though you did not recieve a refund, they are still offering you credit for a future cruise. I wonder how many cruise lines do that. Even though your are not annual cruisers, maybe you can make an exception this year, since Azamara has given you a very generous (in my opinion) credit.

I'm truly sorry to read of your inconvenience and I too would be diappointed if we were unable to use our verandah, but it does seem like they tried their best to please you. Even though you did not recieve a refund, they are still offering you credit for a future cruise. I wonder how many cruise lines do that. Even though your are not annual cruisers, maybe you can make an exception this year, since Azamara has given you a very generous (in my opinion) credit.

Royal Caribbean does that. The certificates are good for one year and are a great way to apologize. The customer is happy and the cruise line is getting another cruise booking which they probably wouldn't have had without the certificate (trust me, I know that for a fact ;))

What I find as very generous was moving them to the suite. That doesn't happen very often on any line.

My thoughts.

Our Canadian friend contracted with Azamara for a veranda cabin, received something less, and wants the difference in price between what was paid for and what was received. The proposal made to Azamara seems reasonable.

I have no idea what the contract we agree to says regarding what venue a legal claim must be filed in and whether the law of a particular jurisdiction will govern, though I suspect the venue and choice of law provisions favor the cruise line.

Nonetheless, because of this dispute, Azamara has lost a customer who has told several hundred of his now closest friends of his dissatisfaction with the company. For a company that sold to the customer a high four figure product and did not totally deliver on what was promised, this does not seem like a good way to do business.

Edited by Reggiefan

I know this will upset the ACC loyalists who believe ACC can do no wrong (beyond their website), but if the balcony was truly unusable (my guess due to sewage smell that was prevalent on my November Quest cruise on starboard side, but just a guess) why do loyalists feel that a partial future cruise credit with a one year expiration is "generous" compensation? Because the cattle ships don't do better? Moving to an empty suite at the very end of the cruise was a convenient salve to both parties, but hardly generous.

Edited by flyingshoes

I agree with OP that ACC is dead wrong in not providing a partial refund for not delivering the value paid for. OP should not be held hostage to having to book another expensive cruise in order to recover lost value. We have seen where major problems on other cruise lines result in refunds PLUS future credits. We have also received a willing cash refund from Celebrity when a very expensive fly-in shore excursion was poorly executed, so there is refund precedent in the RCI family. At the very least ACC could offer a future credit for any RCI product and provide a more generous expiration. Don't give up and good luck!

Edited by Sanatee

If other cruise line companies handle this type of dispute as Andy and others have stated--and I am sure that they do--the reason is that they can get away with it.

There seems to be less consumer protection in the cruise industry than in most other industries. The cruise contracts contain limitation of liability and more important forum selection clauses. Here, the dispute is a minor one--the OP is seeking a resolution of perhaps $1,000. The contract likely requires that any lawsuit--and here the OP lives in Canada--be filed in a court in Dade County, Florida.

Now, I have no idea how a Canadian court would treat the forum selection and other clauses in the contract, though surely any number of American courts would enforce the forum selection or mandatory venue clause.

The point is that we have a dispute of $800 to 1,000, and that legal action financially makes no sense. But the bigger point is that the OP has a legitimate complaint and in my view is suggesting a resolution that is not unreasonable. It appears Azamara during the cruise handled the problem as well as it possibly could. Within reason, the mindset that the customer is always right makes good business sense.

We have also received a willing cash refund from Celebrity when a very expensive fly-in shore excursion was poorly executed, so there is refund precedent in the RCI family.

And wasn't it a fiasco???

But I should have visited ShoreEx with you upon return to the ship... Wasn't squeaky enough--and you know I can be--so got nowhere either onboard or with Miami post-cruise...

I've seldom had reason to express significant dissatisfaction within the Royal Caribbean family of brands but my experience--I've won a few; I've lost a few--is that their response has been highly individualized/situational even when, as our own common experience proves, circumstances are identical... There's nothing formulaic about it...

Good luck to the OP in getting this resolved...

Where is cabin 6061 ? I have looked at the plans in both the 2014 UK and USA brochures and cabins on deck 6 starboard side are numbered 6059 (a wheelchair accessible cabin) then 6063 !

There does seem to be a problem with the deck plan. When I was assigned this cabin I also couldn't find it. Surprisingly enough it is next door to 6059!

Thanks for your encouragement and support everybody!

To answer some questions:

- I have been a TA owner for 34 years and Azamara has been promoting their product to us since its inception.

- I have tried to get an extension on the 1-year term but Azamara is standing firm. Even if they did extend it, though, I don't want to spend another $10,000 just to recoup what I should have received last October.

Taking your advice, I'll keep the dialogue open with ACC.

Thanks for your encouragement and support everybody!

To answer some questions:

- I have been a TA owner for 34 years and Azamara has been promoting their product to us since its inception.

- I have tried to get an extension on the 1-year term but Azamara is standing firm. Even if they did extend it, though, I don't want to spend another $10,000 just to recoup what I should have received last October.

Taking your advice, I'll keep the dialogue open with ACC.

Hi BurlingtonON,

Thank you for sharing the additional information with us. As we are now aware that you are a TA, I'm sure you have vast expertise in such situations. I agree that keeping the dialogue open makes sense. I hope you will be able to obtain an amicable resolution. Please keep us posted, and Good Luck !

Edited by Host Andy

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your advice. We re-opened the dialogue with Azamara and included the link to this CruiseCritic thread in our communication. The same day the email was sent to Customer Relations we got a phone call from Mr. Pimentel's Executive Assistant. She offered us a cash refund and an upgrade valid for one year.

We have accepted the refund but are unfortunately unable to use the upgrade offer within the time frame.

Azamara has a truly wonderful on-board product, but as mentioned in other threads their pre- and post-cruise experience is hurting them.

Signing off on this issue now - happy sailing!

Thanks everyone for your advice. We re-opened the dialogue with Azamara and included the link to this CruiseCritic thread in our communication. The same day the email was sent to Customer Relations we got a phone call from Mr. Pimentel's Executive Assistant. She offered us a cash refund and an upgrade valid for one year.

We have accepted the refund but are unfortunately unable to use the upgrade offer within the time frame.

Azamara has a truly wonderful on-board product, but as mentioned in other threads their pre- and post-cruise experience is hurting them.

Signing off on this issue now - happy sailing!

So glad you got the resolution you deserved.

• 4 months later...

Wow, I just saw this thread and my cruise on AZ Quest was great except for the sewage smell in 8 floor hallway and mold growing in carpet under our bed. Never again. Our original cabin was midship, port side on 7. When arriving they apparently gave us an upgrade we did not want nor ask for. Above restaurant, opposite side of ship, Aft deck, noisy, and this is an upgrade? Broken drain in shower, mold issue in cabin so bad I was worried about health issue, and the fans blowing on hallway 8 to camouflage sewage smell. Next to last day after complaining to my Amex travel agent (AZ suggestion because they would not help) finally carpet was removed, $1000 refund and future cruise credit. I do not care about the credit, $$ etc. and promptly cancelled my future Oct 2014 cruise with them to Croatia. What a nightmare to be subjected to this garbage (literally). Beware cabin 8067!!

Wow, I just saw this thread and my cruise on AZ Quest was great except for the sewage smell in 8 floor hallway and mold growing in carpet under our bed. Never again. Our original cabin was midship, port side on 7. When arriving they apparently gave us an upgrade we did not want nor ask for. Above restaurant, opposite side of ship, Aft deck, noisy, and this is an upgrade? Broken drain in shower, mold issue in cabin so bad I was worried about health issue, and the fans blowing on hallway 8 to camouflage sewage smell. Next to last day after complaining to my Amex travel agent (AZ suggestion because they would not help) finally carpet was removed, $1000 refund and future cruise credit. I do not care about the credit, $$ etc. and promptly cancelled my future Oct 2014 cruise with them to Croatia. What a nightmare to be subjected to this garbage (literally). Beware cabin 8067!!

Too bad about the moldy carpet. But you did get a nice upgrade to a suite from a standard veranda cabin.

I think you missed my point. The upgrade was the noisy, moldy suite. I did not want it and am very particular and wanted my original cabin on 7 midship. My travel agent from Amex told me this was revenue driven by Azamara and they sold my cabin on 7 to the highest bidder. Never again!!

8067 above the restaurant? How? The MDR is on deck 5 and the others are on decks 9 and 10.

If I book a specific cabin, I tell my TA to state "no upgrade".

There was mold outside of 6075. We complained and the answer was to shampoo the carpet but not take off the tiles to find out what was causing the mold. There was never hot water in 8071....lukewarm...so I took very quick showers. The R ships are old now and are tired...they need a large cash infusion to repair all the little things that have been put on hold. We've experienced the sewer gas on several cruise ships so not just a Quest problem.

There was mold outside of 6075. We complained and the answer was to shampoo the carpet but not take off the tiles to find out what was causing the mold. There was never hot water in 8071....lukewarm...so I took very quick showers. The R ships are old now and are tired...they need a large cash infusion to repair all the little things that have been put on hold. We've experienced the sewer gas on several cruise ships so not just a Quest problem.

To me they aren't old and tired and I'd hate for those that are booked and have yet to cruise on Journey or Quest to get the wrong impression. That's not to say I don't believe you or the OP had issues, just that you are generalising too much. I've been in many different cabins on both ships and have never had the problems that you or the OP mention. It's not to say it doesn't happen and there is ongoing maintenance on the ships all of the time. I have witnessed them doing repair work to the plumbing and pipe work. Old and tired though? I don't see that at all. They are very comfortable and clean ships with a very homely feel.

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden