Azamara - not again

Burlington ON

To me they aren't old and tired and I'd hate for those that are booked and have yet to cruise on Journey or Quest to get the wrong impression.

Phil, do you work for RCI? This is your opinion of course. Many others have had different experiences on AZ and use this message board to talk about them. New cruisers to AZ should read these boards and the AZ reviews and then decide to book or not.

Kathy

Edited by kathy9

I must tell you that the exterior of the ship does look worn even with the new paint. When stopping on Elba island we were fortunate to have a lovely lunch with a prior Commodore from Princess (retired and good friend) and he took one look at the ship and told us it did not look good. I had been on AZ prior and I have seen 1st hand the deterioration and it is becoming quite worn. We were on Paul Gaugin last Oct and a complete different experience. Lot's to choose from.

Phil, do you work for RCI? This is your opinion of course. Many others have had different experiences on AZ and use this message board to talk about them. New cruisers to AZ should read these boards and the AZ reviews and then decide to book or not.

Kathy

No, I don't work for RCI and yes, as I stated clearly in my reply these thoughts are my opinion. I have the right to express those here as much as anyone else and have cruised Azamara a number of times so feel I have something to add. As I said I would hate it that people reading here ready to get on Azamara for the first time were given concern about the state of the ships. Sorry, I just don't see it. As for the exterior being worn out I disagree there too. My opinion.

Phil

For the OP if there were significant issues that impacted on their cruise then it is important that these are raised.

However I think Phil is right (and as far as I know he is no ones employee) that the impression that the ships are some way old and tatty and that this will impact on everyones enjoyment is absolutely not true.

Of course a former Commodore from a rival line is likely to find issue to comment on - just as I would expect a Master on an Azamara ship to pass comment on a Princess vessel

So what really matters to you

*how much wear and tear can you tolerate? - everywhere that has high volume traffic will see wear and tear

*when is a problem more than wear and tear?

*would you prefer bling or personal service?

I liken the Azamara ships to the two well know 5 star hotels in the vicinity here - both are "grand old dames" they do not have the wow factor in terms of look imho, we have stayed in both several times and wear and tear can be an issue. Does anyone say scrap them or replace them - no - they enjoy the service and standards delivered by the staff within these establishments and recognise that these are older buildings with the challenges they possess. From the outside one could even be considered an ugly Victorian monstrosity and from the back one is certainly not attractive

We also have a 5 star wow factor hotel recently opened - one visit was enough, it was impersonal, cold, fake and the service was awful

To those who are about to sail on Azamara for the first time I would say suspend judgement, go on board and enjoy and then decide is look or feel (or both) that drives your cruise enjoyment

Edited by uktog

If all of you noticed, I never complained about the service (excellent) and food is very good, also. I prefer the Grand Old Dames and smaller ships and that is why we chose AZ again and their itineraries are better than most. However, there is nothing better than a "clean" Grand Old Dame" and we did not receive that, unfortunately. Why risk it again...not me

Speaking as a frequent traveller, one who uses message boards and reviews frequently, I'd like to throw my opinion out there.

Often when someone posts a negative experience (hotel, cruise ship, it doesn't matter), the first few responses are 'sorry this happened', then the next few are 'well, I stay all the time and never experienced....', and then the OP will come back around and restate the issue, adding additional feelings and perhaps issues, and then someone else seeks to invalidate those feelings.

I've been on brand new ships, and I've been on very old Carnival ships. I've come to expect m'eh service prior to boarding, and bad service after the cruise. (All the lines are bad at customer service). It's what happens in the middle that counts, and I hope I don't have the OP's experience, because despite the many ACC fans that have had problem free stays (and become ACC fans) this person didn't. It is too bad the ship board personnel are not empowered to provide better problem resolution, it would make a difference.

I leave on Quest in 11 days. I've read the reviews, know what to expect both good and bad, and cannot wait for a great vacation. No one should read the horribly bad nor perfectly growing reviews without a grain of salt.

Marty

Edited by hilary732
Cause I felt like it!

Where is cabin 6061 ? I have looked at the plans in both the 2014 UK and USA brochures and cabins on deck 6 starboard side are numbered 6059 (a wheelchair accessible cabin) then 6063 !

Original post re contacting executive offices deleted for a refund since this has already occurred. It seems you made lemonade out of lemon s

Edited by SFL

Great idea. I wish now that I had taken my iPhone and taken pics of the black mold under the carpet when it was removed. Also, showing the fans blowing in the hallway on 8 would have been interesting. Also, after a long day traveling to Nice from Montreal I could not wait for my shower. Should have posted a pic of shower not draining and water going up to my ankles. My hubby had to take a towel to remove the broken part of drain and for two days they kept putting it back. This was our 1st day on Board. YIKES!! Good lesson to all...photos speak better than words.

If anyone here cares to see what refurbished r ship looks like, I am on regatta post refurbishment and I have posted a ton of photos on the o boards

Nice upgrades on the Regatta. But I was more impressed with your upgrade Laraine.:) Would be nice if Azamara did that for frequent guests.

Nice upgrades on the Regatta. But I was more impressed with your upgrade Laraine.:) Would be nice if Azamara did that for frequent guests.

Totally unexpected. We are pinching ourselves

Lovely gesture and we are truly grateful

Especially nice since these suites have all been completely redone. They even have a speaker system where u can connect your iPod and pipe your music throughout.

The main bathroom is ridiculously luxurious.

I may have to book one of these suites going forward. Very spoiled.

Edited by pacheco18

I have bad asthma and am very mold allergic how would I handle this?

We are on Quest for the first time in Feb

Mold is not mildew. And Mold is not a problem on any cruise ship, or you would hear about it...big time! The original poster had a bad experience, it happens, but don't expect your experience to be the same. Nor should you expect one bad experience to be the "rule" (or one great experience for that matter). I've read lots of reviews, the Mold issue is a new one. Not saying it didn't happen, just saying you could worry yourself sick over it, and it will not change what happens when you hop on board.

Don't believe me? Find the ship that has been sailing over 2 years, the absolute best in the world if you can, and look at those reviews. Probably 99% will say it is the most wonderful ship in the world, and 1% might say it was absolute poison, horrible food, and the captain should be shot.

Use the boards to educate yourself about the ships, ports, and exciting things you will do! Using them to anticipate problems is a wasted emotion!

I sail a week from Saturday....PM me your cabin number and I will give the porters a heads up about your trip in February. :)

Marty

Hilary

We will be in cabin 7103 on the Quest Feb 3 out of Singapore to Bali. Yes I understand your comment and you are right but that kind of health problem can land me in hospital. Unfortunately it is a been there done that scenario. I have cruised over 19 cruises and only once was there a problem with the room and my breathing and we were moved immediately.

I try to think the happy thoughts but I am also a realist and as they say SH happens.

I have bad asthma and am very mold allergic how would I handle this?

We are on Quest for the first time in Feb

I can empathize with your issue. Knowing the possibility of mold occurring in any number of public and private buildings, as my friends in the building trades tell me, I am certain you must be vigilant indeed.

There are two points I would make:

1/ If you check the stateroom reviews at the top of this forum, you will see that this report is an anomaly. In fact, I've never seen this concern mentioned before so the odds are very strongly in your favour. Nor have I noticed the issue commented upon, in passing, on this forum. But that does not mean, of course, that it could never happen.

2./ On the off chance you were to encounter this issue, it is our experience in the past that the Hotel Director would be very responsive to your concern. In fact, they are the most attentive to cruiser comfort of any ship's staff that we have dealt with. I certainly have no idea why the OP, in this case, did not receive what they deemed to be satisfactory service.

I hope you can look forward to your cruise with the utmost anticipation.

Edited by nordski

Hilary

We will be in cabin 7103 on the Quest Feb 3 out of Singapore to Bali.

In the "Sticky" above, Mare S. has a favourable comment on that stateroom based upon the experience of friends.

In the "Sticky" above, Mare S. has a favourable comment on that stateroom based upon the experience of friends.

Yup.....we were right next door in 7105. Both staterooms in good shape, but that was a couple of years ago. As others have noted, anything is possible, but it's my experience that staff are very very quick to jump on any problem. On our last cruise our friends' safe wasn't working nor was their telephone. They immediately informed the cabin attendant and all was fixed by the time we got back to the stateroom that evening after dinner.

A question to Portofinoitaly....how did you know the carpet under the bed was a problem? Was it a smell from there or?? I too am allergic to mold so it is always a concern, whether I'm on a ship or in a hotel. But fortunately have never had a problem.

mare

Yup.....we were right next door in 7105. Both staterooms in good shape, but that was a couple of years ago. As others have noted, anything is possible, but it's my experience that staff are very very quick to jump on any problem. On our last cruise our friends' safe wasn't working nor was their telephone. They immediately informed the cabin attendant and all was fixed by the time we got back to the stateroom that evening after dinner.

A question to Portofinoitaly....how did you know the carpet under the bed was a problem? Was it a smell from there or?? I too am allergic to mold so it is always a concern, whether I'm on a ship or in a hotel. But fortunately have never had a problem.

mare

good question

I have dealt with a serious mould issue in my home and thought I would share my knowledge from this epxerience.

Some posters have suggested that the age of the Azamara ships is a contributing factor to the presence of mould. I disagree. Mould starts to grow immediately under the right conditions - moisture and a food source - like wet carpets and a humid environment. That is why it is so critical after a flood, that wet material is removed immediately and that the area is thoroughly dried. I think all ships, old or new, are particularly susceptible to mould given their ongoing exposure to a damp marine environment. If you are sensitive to mould, as I am, and you enjoy cruising, it is important that you are well informed and can insist, based on knowledge, that the appropriate action be taken you encounter mould.

There are two aspects of mould that can be of concern to your health. The first is from inhaling airborne spores of the mould. This can be an issue if mould is in the ventalation/AC system or if spores are released into the air during the un-safe removal of mouldy material.

The second is from the VOCs (volatile organic compounds) released by mould that is actively growing. If you are sensitive, as I am, you can detect the presence of mould just by smelling it and by experiencing an immediate tightening of breath. I do not need to see the mould to know it is there. With any amount of prolonged exposure I develp a deep bronchial cough that takes weeks to go away.

So, if you suspect there is an issue with mould in your stateroom, the first thing I recommend is that you inform the Hotel Director and the Environmental Safety Officer on board as soon as possible. Request that the ventilation system be cleaned, the air filter replaced and any mouldy material removed immediately and safely. Unfortunately, its removal may be logistically difficult on a ship full of passengers because if not done properly, spores will be released into the air and actually increase the health risk to anyone who is exposed. Post remedation, an air test is typiclly conducted to ensure the space is safe for occupation. Based on Azamara's response to a situation with mould in the carpet outside my stateroom on the Quest last summer (both the Environmental Officer and Hotel Director were involved), I doubt that Azamara is equipped to deal with mould remediation on board.

If not, that leaves the simplest and safest solution - insist on changing staterooms. And do not wait until the end of the cruise.

Yes to all your statements and you are correct I do not have to see it to know as I experience similar symptoms but I end up breaking ribs from the cough. Thanks for all your info as I have cruised on several RC, Celebrity, Regent and Paul Gaugin and never had a problem with mold. Now perfume is another story!

Yes to all your statements and you are correct I do not have to see it to know as I experience similar symptoms but I end up breaking ribs from the cough. Thanks for all your info as I have cruised on several RC, Celebrity, Regent and Paul Gaugin and never had a problem with mold. Now perfume is another story!

So agree with you about perfume - especially bad in the elevators when everyone heads out for dinner. Also bad are the VOCs from marine varnish and paint.

Someone asked how I knew the mold was in the carpet. I was not quite sure if it was in carpet and wall both. The bedside where the mold odor was so strong was in this area. Since we noticed it upon embarkation, I know the people in the cabin prior had to have detected it. This was not a mild odor, but very strong and I was very nervous sleeping at night being right next to it. I knew for sure it was in the carpet when we came back into our room and the bed was moved and the carpet was torn up under the bed and nightstand. I could see the mold on the floor and they laid new carpet on top of it. I am sure they did not put down any mold prevention stuff before putting on the new piece of carpet. That evening I could still smell a faint odor and assume it was in the wall. (the shower is also on that same wall). That mold did not grow overnight and had been there for some time, I am quite sure. Also, you cannot change rooms when they tell you they are sold out? They were not sold out!

Someone asked how I knew the mold was in the carpet. I was not quite sure if it was in carpet and wall both. The bedside where the mold odor was so strong was in this area. Since we noticed it upon embarkation, I know the people in the cabin prior had to have detected it. This was not a mild odor, but very strong and I was very nervous sleeping at night being right next to it. I knew for sure it was in the carpet when we came back into our room and the bed was moved and the carpet was torn up under the bed and nightstand. I could see the mold on the floor and they laid new carpet on top of it. I am sure they did not put down any mold prevention stuff before putting on the new piece of carpet. That evening I could still smell a faint odor and assume it was in the wall. (the shower is also on that same wall). That mold did not grow overnight and had been there for some time, I am quite sure. Also, you cannot change rooms when they tell you they are sold out? They were not sold out!

Thanks...I can understand noticing the odor. I just wasn't sure how you'd pinpointed the under the bed carpet as being the culprit...I guess the staff figured it out. I can't understand why they would just put fresh carpet on top of the mold without at least scrubbing the dickens out of it with bleach! Ugh.