checking cargo/luggage

Lily429

I have a fairly large box of towels that I am taking to nassau for an event. There are too many to pack into a suitcase and for delivery puroses it just doesn't work to pack them that way. This is a collected donation for a local organization, I will be disembarking at the port in Nassau with this donation. My question…..has anyone ever done this? has anyone checked a large box or container other than a suitcase? How did you label it? Did it arrive in one piece to your stateroom? Please post any suggestions as I am leaving the end of the month on Disney Dream and this box needs to go with me.

I did, Disney said they had no restrictions…and that was pretty much their response. I am more concerned with the fact i am coming through the port in Nassau with a very large box. Will I be stopped as I go through the tourist center? And I am curious if anyone else has traveled on a cruise bringing anything other than luggage on board, how did they check it in?

You will need to clear it through Bahamian Officials. They will consider it an 'import'. If this is a charitable donation, it is likely they would permit it but I don't think you can just plan to walk off the ship and into Nassau with it.

How Big is big? Do you have rough dimensions?

Edited by sail7seas

big enough to hold 100 towels. I have requested information from the Bahamian government but have not heard back yet. the box can be put on a 'valet' and rolled down the pier but getting it through the port past officials will raise some eyebrows to be sure.

big enough to hold 100 towels. I have requested information from the Bahamian government but have not heard back yet. the box can be put on a 'valet' and rolled down the pier but getting it through the port past officials will raise some eyebrows to be sure.

I am guessing you mean 100 bath towels. Even if hand towels, that is a lot of towels and a big box. I cannot imagine they will let you pass on by without inspecting the box and directing what you can and cannot do with it. Hopefully you will hear back from Bahamian officials prior to your cruise.

Edited by sail7seas

the event in which I am making the donation is an island wide event, it has made headlines several times. It is no secret the nature of the event and the needs for which I am bringing the towels. I have reason to believe Bahamian officials will know something about it and make exception to this but I would rather have the peace of mind that we will pass through without interruption. I don't want to be detained at the port nor do I want the box to be confiscated….just hoping someone on the forum would have some similar experience and share.

There was a retired couple from SoCal who were moving to South America (Chile???? or close by there) last year. They went on the Carnival Splendor when it went round South America. They said on the forum here that:

1. The cruise line told them that they could take as much as they wanted as long as it all went in their cabin. (No storage allowed elsewhere on the ship).

2. The cruise line told them that it had to be in containers/boxes that did not exceed the typical weight in order that that the porters can lift them. (Think typical suitcase weight for each piece).

This couple said they were taking a lot of boxes, and they would get porters once at the other end if I remember correctly.

Why not use a few suitcases that stack inside each other once empty.

Just to be on the safe side either E-Mail them or call them again.