Why do they do it that way?

Mekka

I've always wondered why Holland America uses the current floorplan for Ocean View cabins. Putting the window directly above the bed greatly diminishes the utility of the window. Other cruise lines (as well as the Veranda cabins on HAL) use a much better design. The sitting area is in front of the window and makes it possible to enjoy the view without climbing on the bed. It would seem possible for HAL to re-arrange the furniture without a major investment.

Is there a reason for their current layout? If I were a conspiracy theorist, I'd suggest that HAL wants to make the Veranda cabins look more attractive in comparison as a way to encourage passengers to spend more money. Perhaps there is a valid reason for the current placement of the bed, but it escapes me. Can anyone shed light on this question?

we also split the beds when we have an ocean view.

It makes the cabin seem more spacious.

Karen

Me too! I think it is strange to have the bed right beside the floor to ceiling window on the Vista ships in a fully obstructed view cabin. Kind of gives me the creeps!

I suppose it depends on the length and width of the cabin. It only takes a few inches to make it impractical to place the bed on the wall and leave the window open. My last cruise I had an oceanview and the window a totally accessible, and the large queen bed against the wall. Loved it! No bed surfing,

I'm going to be the voice of dissent.

Having been in cabins with the bed under the window and the sitting area under the window, I prefer the beds under the windows by a mile! The space is already limited in the cabins, and having to walk past the end of the bed to get to the sitting area makes it very inconvenient, especially if you have other people in the room with you. Often my family will have meetings in each other's cabin and it's much tighter and more crowded in the rooms where the sitting area is under the window. I was really sorry when HAL changed the layout in the oceanview rooms.

I'm going to be the voice of dissent.

Having been in cabins with the bed under the window and the sitting area under the window, I prefer the beds under the windows by a mile! The space is already limited in the cabins, and having to walk past the end of the bed to get to the sitting area makes it very inconvenient, especially if you have other people in the room with you. Often my family will have meetings in each other's cabin and it's much tighter and more crowded in the rooms where the sitting area is under the window. I was really sorry when HAL changed the layout in the oceanview rooms.

What you said really makes sense.

Guess HAL never thought that people would visit each other in their cabins.

As others say they have done we just request twins. Most of the time we still have to request once on board that they be separated. Still, it makes the window easier to get to.

We prefer the lowest pax deck just so we can kneel on our beds prop our elbows on the bolster pillows in the window sill and just stare out to sea. We see so much sea life that way.

I agree with the poster who suggested that it might be the difference in the width of the two cabins. Does anyone know how wide the verandah cabin versus the OV cabin? And that, in turn, depends on whether it is an S class or Vista. I think the verandahs on the Vista ships are not as large, but I don't know if it is the width, length, or balcony.

I agree with the poster who suggested that it might be the difference in the width of the two cabins. Does anyone know how wide the verandah cabin versus the OV cabin? And that, in turn, depends on whether it is an S class or Vista. I think the verandahs on the Vista ships are not as large, but I don't know if it is the width, length, or balcony.
With very few exceptions, all the outside cabins on S, R, Vista, and Sigs are 9 feet wide, as are nearly all of the non-suite verandas on Vista and Sigs. Exceptions are usually on the stern.

I recall this point coming up when the Lanai cabins were created. The obvious advantage over an Oceanview was access to the promenade deck, but the reconfiguration of the furniture made for a more awkward layout with less usable floor space. I guess someone at HAL decided the majority would prefer a larger feeling cabin.

In our earlier days of cruising, when every port was a "new one", I loved to wake up and immediately be able to enjoy the view. :) Now, that we have been to many of the ports multiple times, we usually book a large inside cabin and enjoy the luxury of the additional floor space!