Emerald Princess Cruise Journal - Southern Caribbean Dec. 9 to 19 with Photos

AryMay

A stop at the lighthouse is included on most island tours...

IMG_1589.JPG?gl=US

This guy was selling cold coconuts at the lighthouse. First he would cut off the top and insert a straw so that you could drink the juice inside. When the liquid was gone then he would chop up the coconut and remove the meat.

IMG_1582.JPG?gl=US

IMG_1584.JPG?gl=US

Sonny and I.

IMG_1587.JPG?gl=US

Sonny drove us through the resort area and past some of the beaches on the way back to the ship.

P1060604.JPG?gl=US

I don't have any photos of the large, beautiful beaches. This one was a little more secluded and Sonny said it was a good spot to snorkel.

P1060602.JPG?gl=US

Edited by AryMay

LOL...I could hardly wait to use my salt! I put the coarse salt in a pepper grinder and have tried it a few times, but just not sure I like it. I figured salt was salt...but this does have a different flavor. Seems like it leaves a funny taste in my mouth.

Did they tell you what kind of salt it was? Different salts have different tastes. I even have this salt from Cyprus that is pyramid shaped. Very strange and cool looking.

We got back to the ship just about the same time that the guys were returning from their dive. Since Bob refuses to use a camera when diving, I usually have to settle for a verbal description of what he has seen. This time, however, the dive master emailed us over 150 photos that he took of Bob and Kent diving…what a treat!

The guys did a reef dive and a wreck dive...

PC160403.JPG?gl=US

PC160429.JPG?gl=US

PC160510.JPG?gl=US

PC160464.JPG?gl=US

PC160487.JPG?gl=US

PC160439.JPG?gl=US

Did they tell you what kind of salt it was? Different salts have different tastes. I even have this salt from Cyprus that is pyramid shaped. Very strange and cool looking.

I think it was sea salt.

Bob said Cargill has a large salt production facility on the island. I know we buy big bags of salt for our water softener.

The salt is transported by giant conveyors out to barges on the ocean for transport. The guys did one of their dives around the pillars that support this salt pier and said the sea life was amazing.

Some of the Bonaire ones are from the professional photographer who was with us...and her fancy camera. But...I think the ones that Laurel and I took aren't too bad either.

I am getting frustrated that this report is taking me so long to write. I want to read your new review but have made the decision that I can NOT read yours until mine is finished!! :(

Yes, photo reviews can take a while. I have a few weeks left to go to finish mine

as work and life get in the way-it will be a very long read if you sit down and read it in one sitting. Editing (such as it is) and uploading video to youtube is a long process and has slowed me down somewhat-but it's not a race.

Meantime keep the good stuff coming!

Norris

Your entire review and pictures are just awesome! We sail on the 7th and are really looking forward to it...even more so with your description and pictures. THANKS!!

We sail on the 7th too. Check our roll call and join us!http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1694322

Just wanted to let everyone know...I have not abandoned this review! There was the matter of a new grandson that needed to be cuddled... ;)

I will be home soon and back to finish the review.

Edited by AryMay

While you were writing most of this thread we were experiencing it on the Emerald. Thank you for making coming back to the cold more bearable. We too love Dominica and thought the snorkeling in Bonaire amazing. Beautiful pictures and appreciate the effort for posting - Thanks

Just wanted to let everyone know...I have not abandoned this review! There was the matter of a new grandson that needed to be cuddled... ;)

I'm loving your review! Thanks so much for taking the time to write one. And don't worry about not posting an update - I doubt anyone minds at all! What a wonderful reason to take time off from posting. Congratulations!!!

I am back...finally. It was tempting to just let this review fade into the back pages of the forum...unfinished. But...I hate to start reading a review and then have it end abruptly mid-cruise. So...for those of you still following...I am ready to finish up our day in Aruba and the last couple of sea days.

Laurel was on the hunt for a Larimar pendant to go with the ring she had purchased in St. Thomas and wanted to go onshore and check out the multitude of jewelry stores. Getting to the shopping area from the ship was a bit of a walk in the hot sun and I opted out. Instead I spent a little time looking through the stalls in the cruise terminal and then headed back onboard…empty handed.

Laurel and the guys headed into town and went from jewelry store to jewelry store…but they too came home with nothing.

P1000403.JPG?gl=US

P1000408.JPG?gl=US

P1000410.JPG?gl=US

Bob and Kent…looking rather silly in their matching outfits!

P1000405.JPG?gl=US

Shopping done...they boarded the ship one last time.

P1000407.JPG?gl=US

Getting back to our cabins was a journey in itself...taking the elevator up to the 14th deck and then walking...walking...walking down this long hallway.

P1000414.JPG?gl=US

Sail away from Aruba…

IMG_5313.JPG?gl=US

IMG_5315.JPG?gl=US

This photo gives you an idea of where the resorts are located in relation to the cruise pier...

IMG_5314.JPG?gl=US

After shivering through dinner last night, we were anxious to see where we would end up that night. I can understand why they want to make early reservations. At 5:45 the dining room was pretty much full…but our table was sitting there empty waiting on us to arrive.

We were seated at a table for four with waiter, Joseph, from the Philippines. Right away we could see this was going to be a good night. Joseph seemed genuinely interested in what we did in port that day and went out of his way to make sure we were happy with our orders. Such a fun and enjoyable meal with him! The first thing we did as we left the dining room that night was request to be seated at the same table for the rest of the cruise!

Although I like the idea of having a flexible dining time, I realized how much I missed getting to know our wait staff with traditional dining. Joseph was at the end of his contract and heading home to the Philippines when we returned to Ft. Lauderdale. He wasn’t sure what ship he would be on when he returned, but we all have our fingers crossed that he ends up on the Coral for our Alaskan cruise this summer!

A stop for photos after dinner. Have I mentioned how beautiful the Piazza was with all of the Christmas decorations?

IMG_5318.JPG?gl=US

Lovena Fox was scheduled for her cabaret show in the Princess Theater…back by popular demand according to the Patters. Not sure if that was the case…or if they just had trouble finding someone to fill that night’s entertainment slot. We walked into the theater just as the lights were dimming for her 7:15 show…and had no trouble finding seats.

Afterwards we walked by the Explorers Lounge which was crowded to overflowing for comedian A.J. Jamal. The laughter was enough to get us to stop…and we ended up listening to most of his show standing in the hallway. As the first show ended we managed to snag a table with four seats and staked out our spot for his next show.

A man had been waiting for the people at the table behind us to leave so he could get their seats. Just as they got up, a lady pushed through and jumped into one of the chairs. A rather uncomfortable exchange took place between them but finally the lady relinquished the seat and left. Seems to me that it would have been much better planning to have put Jamal in the much larger Princess Theater…and Lovena Fox in the Explorer’s Lounge. But…no one asked me.

Country & Western Music Trivia was scheduled in the Explorer’s Lounge prior to A.J.’s next show. We made a half hearted attempt at answering the questions, but didn’t come close to winning. It did help pass the time however and eventually we were able to enjoy the second show…with seats. Most of the jokes were the same as in the first show…but more fun now that we could SEE and hear!

Coming up…TWO sea days! (Love those sea days!) :)

Seems to me that it would have been much better planning to have put Jamal in the much larger Princess Theater…and Lovena Fox in the Explorer’s Lounge. But…no one asked me.

I've noticed the same thing on Princess. They seem to put some of the more popular acts in the Explorers Lounge for some reason, when the Vista Lounge/Club Fusion sits empty, and the Princess Theater is only half full. Some of these performers have been with Princess for years, playing to packed houses every sailing. And they still put them into the smallest venue.

AryMay….really enjoying your review. I just love it when photos are included and yours are wonderful. My husband and I love snorkeling but as I get older it is harder to swim for long periods of time. I noticed you talked about your yellow "bead" noodle. Is it flexible enough to fold in a suitcase? It looks like the solution to my problem so can you tell me where you purchased it or the name of the company that makes it?

Tuesday, December 17 – Sea Day

After five straight port days, I was looking forward to a relaxing sea day. Bob and I started the day with breakfast in the Horizon Court and I was quite surprised to see CHOCOLATE was everywhere! Carnival often does a chocolate buffet at noon on their last sea day…but breakfast?

IMG_5320.JPG?gl=US

Bob was getting ready to meet Kent in the gym so didn’t eat anything…but I never turn down chocolate!

IMG_5323.JPG?gl=US

After nearly two months, my mind has gotten quite fuzzy on how the day was spent. Looking at the Patters, I do know that the guys went to the Navigation@Sea lecture in the Princess Theater at 10 am. Although I’m sure it was interesting, Laurel and I chose to attend the “outlet sale” at the same time in the Michelangelo Dining Room. Tons of merchandise are strewn across the tables…much of it leftovers from various cruise routes…the northeast, the Baltics, etc. The prices were reduced…but not to the point that I felt compelled to buy anything.

As we were browsing, the captain came on the intercom and announced that the ship was turning around. Someone had spotted what they thought was a gray life raft floating in the ocean and we were going back to the place where it had been seen. As the ship turned, it listed to one side…enough that it was a bit hard to even walk. (Found out later that it was only a 2% list…but believe me…it felt more like 20%!)

We knew the guys had planned to go to the ice carving demonstration at 11:00 so we made our way up to the pool area to see if we could find them. By the time we got up there, the carvings were being loaded up and hauled away.

IMG_5325.JPG?gl=US

We found the guys…and most of the other passengers…standing along the rail trying to spot this mysterious gray life raft. The captain had announced that if anyone spotted the raft to please call the bridge immediately.

P1000418.JPG?gl=US

P1000419.JPG?gl=US

As the ship backtracked, a small vessel came into view on the horizon. At first everyone was sure we had found the life raft, but the captain announced that it was a tiny Venzuelan fishing boat…and they had been able to make contact. Not sure why or how such a small boat would be out on the open seas. The life raft was never found…and we turned around to continue on our way north. But….it did make for an exciting morning!

Can you see the boat? LOL! It took me forever to finally see it...but it is too small to show up on the photo.

P1060612.JPG?gl=US

AryMay….really enjoying your review. I just love it when photos are included and yours are wonderful. My husband and I love snorkeling but as I get older it is harder to swim for long periods of time. I noticed you talked about your yellow "bead" noodle. Is it flexible enough to fold in a suitcase? It looks like the solution to my problem so can you tell me where you purchased it or the name of the company that makes it?

How about a snorkel vest? They aren't terribly expensive and would definitely fit in your suitcase.

I love my noodle and yes...it is very flexible. I wrapped it around the edges of my luggage and then packed the rest of my stuff in the middle. The noodle is practically weightless. Check out my next post...I even used it in the pool on the ship!

I bought my noodle at Walmart in 2011 and paid $10. At the end of the summer I bought a second one when they were reduced to $3. I looked online and found them on Walmart.com, but not for that price. My guess is that they would be easier to find if you wait until summer. Here is the link to the noodle online.

Good luck!

How about a snorkel vest? They aren't terribly expensive and would definitely fit in your suitcase.

A snorkel vest would be easier to pack, but I hate wearing one. They ride up under my neck and the strap that goes between your legs is definitely uncomfortable. (Feels like a giant wedgie!) :eek:

I thought my noodle was pretty unique, but they were available for use on our snorkeling tour with Woodwind in Bonaire.

There were lots of afternoon activities in the Patters…line dance class, bridge tournament, Elevator Roulette (wish I had checked this out!), flower making class, cocktail making contest, Scattergories, bocce ball, sexy legs competition (Is this a Princess cruise? Sounds like Carnival!), Wii sports, luggage tag decorating class, wine tasting, MUTS (Raiders of the Lost Ark), golf chipping into the pool, trivia, etc. These are just SOME of the activities that were scheduled between 1:00 and 4:30.

We could have easily kept busy, but I wanted to NOT be busy. My schedule for the afternoon: lay in the sun by the pool. After lunch (pizza…yum!) I think the guys took off to work on their “egg drop” contraption. Our waiter, Joseph, had gotten them an egg tray the night before and they had a plan in mind.

P1060613.JPG?gl=US

Laurel and I found two loungers at the back rail next to the Terrace Pool.

P1060606.JPG?gl=US

I alternated between my chair and floating with my noodle in the pool. The ship was really rocking so the Terrace Pool became a “wave pool.” I’m an old lady but it was fun sloshing back and forth.

P1000424.JPG?gl=US